Makers of Marlboro Laying Off Workers to Invest in More Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I think we may anticipate a black market in nicotine in the future.

I agree. However I expect the price will rise significantly. And possibly the quality may go down, especially if people set up their own extraction labs.

So I decided to stock up using nic that I know I am agreeable with. I'm the one who handled and stored it. So if something goes wrong, I have myself to blame :D I even did the unthinkable and braved Walmart on Thanksgiving to get an extra freezer, but managed to make it a 6 minute ordeal :)

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I agree. However I expect the price will rise significantly. And possibly the quality may go down, especially if people set up their own extraction labs.

So I decided to stock up using nic that I know I am agreeable with. I'm the one who handled and stored it. So if something goes wrong, I have myself to blame :D I even did the unthinkable and braved Walmart on Thanksgiving to get an extra freezer, but managed to make it a 6 minute ordeal :)

I think I'll just cruise on over to Nude Nicotine and order up a liter today.....

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I think one thing that most of us forget is that today's vapers are still a small number, compared to current smokers. I think BT could write us all off as a loss and not bat an eye. They don't want our business because they know they won't get it. However, if the only thing available to purchase in two years is a cigalike, they'll be all set.

cigalikes and refill cartos fit easily into the tax per pack structure too. I don't know about the vuse, but the mark ten refill pack only comes with two cartridges, and costs about as much as a pack of cigarettes. If BG pulls up all those stupid old ads that said one cartridge equals one pack, they just doubled the tax they can get from a single purchase.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
The Kangxin Inoy from Focalecig :). Cheap ($42), chip works well, no leaks, no logo one is attractive enough, decently made. I know you aren't interested in tc, but should you try it again, it works quite well. It also uses normal 10ml bottles. I plan to buy a second one when I can.

I don't object to the *idea* of TC, I just couldn't get any flavor out of titanium wire. Since nickel in costume jewelry turns my skin black, I figured it would be good to not use it to vape with. I'd be willing to try stainless, but I'm quite happy with non-TC kanthal -- outstanding flavor, and easily dry-burned to clean off gunk.

Andria

Reactions: EBates

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013

Yup, you are right Roxy, prices will go up, and quality will go down in a black market, but if they do this a black market is inevitable. They probably will do this too, since it's not about your health or what's bad for you, it's about the money in their pockets, and that's what always wins out in the end. The golden rule is he who has the gold makes the rules.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
I hear black market being thrown around a lot in the ecig communities but I am not convinced a black market would be any sort of a viable option for most really.
If the legal ramifications, fines and so on you can get when dealing in black market tobacco cigarettes is any indication of what would be in store for participants I doubt too many will opt in (as well as the obvious quality control concerns) but cigarettes are legal to buy if you are an adult, nicotine might not be, so you would be entering into a whole different realm of legal ramifications I think most will opt out of.
I know I would.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I hear black market being thrown around a lot in the ecig communities but I am not convinced a black market would be any sort of a viable option for most really.
If the legal ramifications, fines and so on you can get when dealing in black market tobacco cigarettes is any indication of what would be in store for participants I doubt too many will opt in (as well as the obvious quality control concerns) but cigarettes are legal to buy if you are an adult, nicotine might not be, so you would be entering into a whole different realm of legal ramifications I think most will opt out of.
I know I would.
Existing vapers may participate in a black market, I expect very few current smokers would.

I doubt I will be searching out underground sources of nic, I may buy some grey area hardware.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I know I would.
I think you're pretty much right, but there are so many millions of potential participants, that the black market will still be huge. That needs to be pointed out repeatedly.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I don't know. Further research won't be banned, and reading the research won't be, either.
I'm just trying to think back to my smoking self. It took me a month to decide to order my first ecig, but I tried a couple of disposables first to see if it might work.

There may be some users that start with what is available and then search out bigger and better things, and they may or may not be willing to illegally source nic/liquids/gear.

Many smokers don't trust vaping now, depending on how things go, that could get better or worse, and I don't think that's necessarily tied to what actual good research finds.

A lot will depend on what is available and how many hoops you have to jump through to get it. I do think there will definitely be a black market, I'm just not sure how many new users it will attract.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
I think you're pretty much right, but there are so many millions of potential participants, that the black market will still be huge. That needs to be pointed out repeatedly.

Possible but doubtful if it is made a controlled substance illegal to buy or sell without a license or whatever...
Resources - Chemical Control Program

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
For my part I would quit vaping altogether rather than get my stuff from BT. I'll have nothing to do with those reptiles. If there does prove to be an underground source for nicotine after those reptiles twist the laws with their money and power I'll avail myself of it, or find out how to make my own.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
72x72x1f644-unicode-example-pagespeed-ic-qtny95o1xa-1.png

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I would also say that the population most likely to participate in a black market(aside from current vapers) is probably the same population many in TC claim to want to protect.

okay, many in TC? Temperature Control? Could you please spell it out rather than using letters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread