petefeet

Sep 18, 2015
fife,Scotland, uk
Just needing a bit of an insight into mech mods
An entry level model to start of with,
tank to match up with,
May sound silly put do they have an lcd display tells u voltage/watts etc
And any other useful advice.
I've been using a subtank mini for about 6 months and can build dual coils etc,just to give u my experience in vaping.
Look forward to any info,
Thanks

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Just needing a bit of an insight into mech mods
An entry level model to start of with,
Tank to match up with,
May sound silly put do they have an lcd display tells u voltage/watts etc
And any other useful advice.
I've been using a subtank mini for about 6 months and can build dual coils etc,just to give u my experience in vaping.
Look forward to any info,
Thanks
I'd recommend a king mod.
Also there is the chiyou which is close to the king but there are a few variations of it.
If you could get your hands on an astro you'd be happy.

For a box equivalent there is the kato.

All the above are m21x1 threaded so parts intercompatible - except I cant verify the kato yet as I don't have one (yet)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
there's a few like this
$24.33 V4 ABS 18650 Mechanical Box Mod - 2*18650 / translucent at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
2875700-6.jpg

Reactions: tweaker30

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Hi there,
I'm well aware of the dangers of mech mods and have a multimeter,
Should I stay away from clones are they more dangerous?
I think I'd just use it at home since u have to apply the juice directly or do u actually get tanks for them

the thing that hold the battery is called a mod.

the thing that goes on top the mod is called a topper

a topper can be a tank or a dripper

a dripper is the thing where you apply the juice directly.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013

they all come with 510 thread;

that one in the pic does not have adjustable centerpin though;

for an entry level mech mod, I strongly recommend an adjustable centerpin mod;
that is very much a standard on regular tube mech mods. with regulated mods and with box mods it's not so common.

the 510 centerpin is the main point of problems on vape stuff.

petefeet

Sep 18, 2015
fife,Scotland, uk
Ah got u now.thanks for info.
Gets a bit confusing sometimes with different names
they all come with 510 thread;

that one in the pic does not have adjustable centerpin though;

for an entry level mech mod, I strongly recommend an adjustable centerpin mod;
that is very much a standard on regular tube mech mods. with regulated mods and with box mods it's not so common.

the 510 centerpin is the main point of problems on vape stuff.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
Honestly... for mechs... depends on battery size. I prefer the power and weight over the 26650 batteries vs their 18650 and smaller counterparts. But if you want a good 18650 mech - hate to say it, but the gold plated V3 Flip. Why the V3? Flexibility, user serviceability, and customizability. Can fit various 18xxx battery sizes + Kick (should you need it), can be repaired by you - the end user - by purchasing the spare parts from V3Tronix, and can also be customized to your liking (using various color configurations, etc). Probably one of the prettier mods too. Only downside - its pricey - but if you got the cash for it, it's worth the weight in money. As far as 26650's are concerned - I'm unsure of them anymore. They seem to be dying off - people are moving away from the larger battery and most of the people in my area are moving away from mechs altogether. Everybody is "Regulated this... and regulated that...", but I keep my mechs around for a rainy day anyways.

As for resistance - there's a lot to go into about that. The battery itself will continuously TRY to push 4.2V (Fully charged) - 3.7V (average output) until the battery's overall voltage drops below 3.7V - at which point it will push that voltage to the coil. So wattage isn't something to be too concerned with when it comes to mechs. You need to focus more on AMP limitations / PEAK AMP LIMITS on your batteries.

.2 - .5 Ohms on ALMOST ALL BATTERIES WITH A 30AMP DISCHARGE RATE SHOULD BE SAFE - UNLESS THE BATTERY ITSELF OR THE CELLS INSIDE SAID BATTERY ARE DAMAGED / FAULTY.

So make sure you're buying reliable batteries / batteries with good reputations. Samsung and LG are putting out some storming batteries now.

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
So what would I be looking at then as I like coils at present rated 0.5ohms or dual coils,in terms of the mod it's the resistence that basically determines what it fires at as can't alter watts etc.is that correct

what are you using now?

maybe it's really a regulated mod you are looking for;
like an istick 30 watt or mvp3 pro; or a sigelei 75 watt;
I don't have anything like that though; I only vape at 10 watts on a regulated mech mostly.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
Yeah regulated - believe it or not - is the way to go . First - takes away all the headaches of picking batteries because if the chip can't pull it - it wont. Second - .5Ohms might be a cooler vape on a mech for some. Unless that's your thing, and you like cooler vapes. Last - at the resistance you're speaking of, you can drive quite a bit of power with a regulated - 30W might not be a bad start...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread