Status
Not open for further replies.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Our culture has changed, a lot. Two years ago these instances were just warning blips on the radar, people warned folks that if you are not careful and do your homework, "this" might happen to you. Fast forward to today with the rapid expansion of the marketplace, B&M's popping up everywhere, and many more folks getting in on the game, and I'd bet most are unaware sites like this even exist. Why would they, they can get everything they need right from their friendly salesperson at the store...so education and information is a concept lost on this new generation of vapers...they sell it at a nice store, so it must be safe. Many people don't know that 9 volt batteries casually tossed into the trash could potentially burn their house down. Yet this has happened. Imagine the dumbest person you know, then imagine the dumbest person they know. Would you expect that person to have a clue as to the safe operating limits of batteries and builds... or how to check an atomizer and mod for a possible dead short. Everything in their life is plug and play, if it fits together it must work? Right? These people are going to sue somebody if they get hurt, maybe the shop that sold the gear, maybe the online vendor. It will only take a couple of successful cases to bring the ambulance chasers out of the woodwork. vaping seems to be doomed on so many levels, and we, as a group, in some ways are our own worst enemy.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
I have seen a lot of comments in this thread that breaks it down to, IMO, mechs are not the friendliest of New User devices. Yes there are new users that can jump right in with a mech and sub-ohm atty on top, "IF" that user does their research properly, and "IF" the peers he hangs out with "KNOW" just what they heck they are doing also. A one hour crash course discussion at a B&M just does not cut it, if that B&M were so inclined to do so. Honestly I imagine as most, the battery at issue in the OP was a re-wrap from one of the many offenders on the market, Efest, IMRen, MXJO, AWT, take your pick.

When I was working at a vape shop and had a new or newish vaper wanting to dive in head first, this was the list (updated now with newer things on the market) I told them they needed to research before I would take liability selling the devices to them...

1) Ohm's Law - read about it, get a good understanding about it, and how it works (there would be a quiz)
2) Battery Safety and Battery Chemistry - this included what types of batteries, proper charging and discharging, proper handling and care (there would be a quiz)
3) Mod Designs - does the mech have venting, if so, where is it, what are the warning signs the battery isn't venting properly (mod is hot, hissing, foul smell, etc) (there was a quiz)
4) Coil building - I guided mentorship process, I would not sell them any wire or tools until I felt they were competent enough to this on their own (this excluded ohm readers, on a mech you need an ohm reader), this mentorship I'd build the first few coils with them watching me, next couple work together, then the next couple just observing them doing it and give pointers and such. They were welcome to come in any time and ask questions and advice any time they wanted, especially during slow hours if they could, I was happy to sit and discuss things, if I got busy I'd pause the discussion, especially if a new vaper walked in
5) Choose your equipment wisely, this includes batteries, chargers, battery cases, mods, atomizers, etc. Personally IMO, if you are running a mech, especially below 1Ohm, the minimum battery you need is a Sony VTC4, best batteries are Sony VTC3 (if you can find them) and now added to the list is the LG HB6, all of them true 30amp or capable of handling 30amp loads. So with 30amp limits, lowest you will ever want to build on a mech with these batteries is a 15amp to 20amp load, giving you 15 to 10amps spare "UH OH" room in case of a mishap. Chargers, buy the best charger you can afford, light user near or above 1ohm regularly used, a 2 bay and 4 batteries, Nitecore i2 or D2, Efest LUC2, or an Xtar VC/VP/WP2 minimum, 0.6ish and below, 4bay charger and at least 8 batteries, Nitecore i4/D4, Efest LUC4, Xtar VC/VP/WP4 minimum. Have enough 2bay or 4bay battery cases to carry your batteries safely, and never in your regular pants pocket or purse pocket where keys and loose change and such can cause an issue, if need be, a cheap fanny pack is a great investment, even an old ego carrying case works real well.

I always forced the shop owners to always have Sony VTC 3 and 4's on hand in good quantity, with for mods like a SVD or such, there I would sell an MNKE or other 20amp battery for use with those, made them angry at my sales tactics for a while, but they soon learned the value of it, when one of them on my day off sold a mech, patriot clone, 4 of the first versions of the Purple Efests, 2bay trustfire charger, spool of 26awg wire, and such to a kid, and let him out the store. 2days later kid came in with an attorney, kid's hand wrapped up in a cast, mod and atty in pieces and scraps of one of the Efests, "Make it right or we are suing..." I spent six hours explaining things to everyone, replaced the mod, atty, 4 new Sony VTC4's, and an XTar WP4 all for free, just to make it right and keep the glaring attorney happy. Shop owners really wisened up after that incident.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I have seen a lot of comments in this thread that breaks it down to, IMO, mechs are not the friendliest of New User devices. Yes there are new users that can jump right in with a mech and sub-ohm atty on top, "IF" that user does their research properly, and "IF" the peers he hangs out with "KNOW" just what they heck they are doing also. A one hour crash course discussion at a B&M just does not cut it, if that B&M were so inclined to do so. Honestly I imagine as most, the battery at issue in the OP was a re-wrap from one of the many offenders on the market, Efest, IMRen, MXJO, AWT, take your pick.

When I was working at a vape shop and had a new or newish vaper wanting to dive in head first, this was the list (updated now with newer things on the market) I told them they needed to research before I would take liability selling the devices to them...

1) Ohm's Law - read about it, get a good understanding about it, and how it works (there would be a quiz)
2) Battery Safety and Battery Chemistry - this included what types of batteries, proper charging and discharging, proper handling and care (there would be a quiz)
3) Mod Designs - does the mech have venting, if so, where is it, what are the warning signs the battery isn't venting properly (mod is hot, hissing, foul smell, etc) (there was a quiz)
4) Coil building - I guided mentorship process, I would not sell them any wire or tools until I felt they were competent enough to this on their own (this excluded ohm readers, on a mech you need an ohm reader), this mentorship I'd build the first few coils with them watching me, next couple work together, then the next couple just observing them doing it and give pointers and such. They were welcome to come in any time and ask questions and advice any time they wanted, especially during slow hours if they could, I was happy to sit and discuss things, if I got busy I'd pause the discussion, especially if a new vaper walked in
5) Choose your equipment wisely, this includes batteries, chargers, battery cases, mods, atomizers, etc. Personally IMO, if you are running a mech, especially below 1Ohm, the minimum battery you need is a Sony VTC4, best batteries are Sony VTC3 (if you can find them) and now added to the list is the LG HB6, all of them true 30amp or capable of handling 30amp loads. So with 30amp limits, lowest you will ever want to build on a mech with these batteries is a 15amp to 20amp load, giving you 15 to 10amps spare "UH OH" room in case of a mishap. Chargers, buy the best charger you can afford, light user near or above 1ohm regularly used, a 2 bay and 4 batteries, Nitecore i2 or D2, Efest LUC2, or an Xtar VC/VP/WP2 minimum, 0.6ish and below, 4bay charger and at least 8 batteries, Nitecore i4/D4, Efest LUC4, Xtar VC/VP/WP4 minimum. Have enough 2bay or 4bay battery cases to carry your batteries safely, and never in your regular pants pocket or purse pocket where keys and loose change and such can cause an issue, if need be, a cheap fanny pack is a great investment, even an old ego carrying case works real well.

I always forced the shop owners to always have Sony VTC 3 and 4's on hand in good quantity, with for mods like a SVD or such, there I would sell an MNKE or other 20amp battery for use with those, made them angry at my sales tactics for a while, but they soon learned the value of it, when one of them on my day off sold a mech, patriot clone, 4 of the first versions of the Purple Efests, 2bay trustfire charger, spool of 26awg wire, and such to a kid, and let him out the store. 2days later kid came in with an attorney, kid's hand wrapped up in a cast, mod and atty in pieces and scraps of one of the Efests, "Make it right or we are suing..." I spent six hours explaining things to everyone, replaced the mod, atty, 4 new Sony VTC4's, and an XTar WP4 all for free, just to make it right and keep the glaring attorney happy. Shop owners really wisened up after that incident.

Sorry, I guess I lied about not coming back and posting....

I had to say thank you to IMFire3605. Sometimes being a hard a** about things and safety pays off.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
good lord why are all these people putting flashlights into their mouths anyway? I'm searching my mind and can't think of any time I've ever placed a flashlight into my mouth;)
what Im trying to figure out is why do they only explode in the mouth?? ;)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Ok everybody bear with me while I explain my point in all this. So I work for a company that manufactures suspension systems for trucks and Jeeps. We have had to add safety devices to all our machines to prevent injuries that I had never seen in 30 yrs. of being in the industry. Injuries that haven't happened in the 12 yrs. that I've worked for the company. We found that we had to add these devices even if the people were trained because the people weren't focused on what they're doing. I was resistant to these devices until one saved two fingers on my right hand. that was five years ago! I had always been in favour of training people how to be safe and pay attention to what is going on around them & not so much about devices until then. I was always sure that I paid attention and was aware of the dangers around me. Heck I had been a machinist for 25 yrs. & still had all my digits. Until that moment 5 years ago. Literally 2 seconds of distraction almost cost me my perfect record. Are these devices a pain in the buttocks? Yes! Do these devices slow me down? YES!! Thank God they are there!!!! So the whole point of all of this is; Is keeping your "SIMPLE", "RELIABLE" mech mod more important than the possibility of hurting you or anyone else? Will the safety features really cause your device that much less reliable? Don't most of you have multiple devices? Is it worth the possibility of losing the choice of being able to buy your favorite device because the media plays up the injurys & doesn't tell what really caused them?
To me I would like to decide what safety devices should be on mech mods than have any gov't agency mandate them!

And one the the simplest safety devices is A WARNING LABEL.
Something which so many Lithium Batteries do not have.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
"IMFire3605, post: 16891771, member: 134787"
===========================quote======================

Just in case anybody missed that

haleysdadda

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2015
Santee,San Diego
@haleysdadda,

Going by what we 'know' from the article: A battery capable to "explode in an instant" may "explode in an instant" no matter where you stick it. Be it a flashlight, an electric bike, a toothbrush, a powertool a computer or a vibrator. The problem here is not mechanical mods. It's lack of knowledge and blatant abuse of batteries. Regulated mods can be abused in the same way. Let me rephrase that: Mods are not abused. Batteries are. Mods are inert objects. It's what you stick in them that matters. Where you stick it is of less importance.

Keep in mind the vaping market has boomed (no pun intended :p) recently. It's a hot topic and a low hanging fruit for alarmist media desperate for clicks. Coupled with economic interests, vilification of anything resembling smoking and thinking along the lines of "Starbucks hates Jesus" - every accident is blown up as media headlines. I'm sure there are a lot more accidents in machining and manufacturing. As well as with people driving jeeps and trucks. Difference is, these accidents don't make headlines every time they happen. They make statistics. Should we ban jeeps and trucks because people crash them?
I'm sorry but I don't think I mentioned "BAN" anything! I'm not proposing taking away anything. Let's go back to the three wheeler (ATC) debacle! That is a direct comparison to mech mods! Before they could even be made safer they were banned. Not because of people who knew what they were doing but because they had three wheels and macho ...... would go out & buy the biggest bike possible and get killed simply because they didn't know what they were doing! Also because they seemed more stable people were not wearing proper gear when they were riding them! Flip flops and a string bikini are not proper riding gear on anything that does 40+ mph. Properly trained or self educated are not the problem here! It's the people who aren't trained who are too lazy to do the research that are!
WE have to make sure WE mandate seat belts (fuses) and airbags ( vent holes in the proper locations) on all devices regulated or not! Mech mods especially because they look like flashlights with a different end on them! Heck all I have to do is throw a battery in it any old premade coil on it & rock & roll? same thing as the ATC sort of.
I know everybody on this forum is using there gear properly because they care about safety and know their gear. And I know simple safety things are not the answer to everything but they would at least be a start. Don't you think it would better for us to design safety into our devices than have some outside agency do it for us?
It really saddens me that people are so resistant to basic safety that they'll take the chance of losing the thing they love. Please don't let the idiots take your gear away from you! Do the things now that will make them safer so that doesn't happen.
VAPING IS THE FUTURE & THE FUTURE IS NOW! RIP TRIPPER
:wub::hubba::thumbs::rickroll::vapor:

Reactions: Ryedan

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
good lord why are all these people putting flashlights into their mouths anyway? I'm searching my mind and can't think of any time I've ever placed a flashlight into my mouth;)

After the ER shows I've seen at least they're putting them in their mouth. :p

JavaJunkie

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Virginia
I'm torn on where I see this going in the future.

On one hand, I've spoken to more vapers than I care to count who can't even tell me the name of their gear or even the basic classification of their gear (eGo style, mod with internal battery, mod with removable battery, electronic mod, mech mod, or hybrid or "tank", "cartomizer", "dripper"). These people bought what the vape shop shoved at them and then they go back there asking for "coils/replacement for this". We expect people who don't even know the brand and model of their device to do their own homework to use higher end gear safely. I just don't see that happening. I've done more spontaneous safety lessons at events and other not-in-my-house (shudder) activities than I care to count.

On this same hand, we have hair dryers that warn us to not use them under water, curling irons that tells is it's not designed for internal use, jars of peanuts that warn us that peanuts are in fact inside peanuts, and a gallon of milk contains dairy. We're surrounded by warnings and dummy-proofing and every single one of those is the result of a lawsuit. Companies aren't using ink and paper because they want to spend the money. They have to because their liability insurance company says, "Do this or you're not covered."

On the other hand, coffee pots with internal hot plates are such a huge fire hazard that they'll void most non-residential insurance policies. When the Flavia machine came out, it was the first machine meant for office use that would not void such policies. This is a very little known fact. I only know it because of the job I was working at that time and yet how many offices don't have a coffee pot with an internal hot plate? Yet, when the Keurig machines came out, a lot of offices switched to them because of the convenience. They were switching to a safer design without knowing it.

On this same hand, is it possible to even regulate such an issue. Let's say our government bans mech mods or requires labels. Is that going to stop a Fasttech shipment? Can such a thing be effectively policed and enforced? If not, what's the point?

Right, wrong, or indifferent, I don't see a product with such a large gap for user error lasting too long in the US market. We're a bit too litigation happy for that. At the same time, they've already lasted longer than I figured they would. Back to the first point, most of that time the devices have been in the hands of the first wave of early adopters who take the time to educate themselves. Most second wave early adopters do to. Now we're getting into the mainstream and those people aren't really hobbyists. They're users and users are apathetic, lazy, and expect information fed to them. These are the people who at best come here and say, "tell me what I need to know" and at worst just buy stuff and talk like they're an expert without even knowing how to calculate wattage.

Furthermore, and it might be tin foil helmet time for me, does it seems terribly convenient to anyone else what we're seeing an uptick in D/AP concerns and discussions, battery and mod explosions, wrong-charger-on-eGos, and a 5P lawsuit while dealing with HR 2058, state level legislation, the 2016 Agricultural Appropriations Bill, and waiting to hear back from the FDA. I feel like some special interest group is really good at manipulating the media OR I really need a new hat.

Hat. Probably the hat.

God, I hope it's the hat.

haleysdadda

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2015
Santee,San Diego
I'm torn on where I see this going in the future.

On one hand, I've spoken to more vapers than I care to count who can't even tell me the name of their gear or even the basic classification of their gear (eGo style, mod with internal battery, mod with removable battery, electronic mod, mech mod, or hybrid or "tank", "cartomizer", "dripper"). These people bought what the vape shop shoved at them and then they go back there asking for "coils/replacement for this". We expect people who don't even know the brand and model of their device to do their own homework to use higher end gear safely. I just don't see that happening. I've done more spontaneous safety lessons at events and other not-in-my-house (shudder) activities than I care to count.

On this same hand, we have hair dryers that warn us to not use them under water, curling irons that tells is it's not designed for internal use, jars of peanuts that warn us that peanuts are in fact inside peanuts, and a gallon of milk contains dairy. We're surrounded by warnings and dummy-proofing and every single one of those is the result of a lawsuit. Companies aren't using ink and paper because they want to spend the money. They have to because their liability insurance company says, "Do this or you're not covered."

On the other hand, coffee pots with internal hot plates are such a huge fire hazard that they'll void most non-residential insurance policies. When the Flavia machine came out, it was the first machine meant for office use that would not void such policies. This is a very little known fact. I only know it because of the job I was working at that time and yet how many offices don't have a coffee pot with an internal hot plate? Yet, when the Keurig machines came out, a lot of offices switched to them because of the convenience. They were switching to a safer design without knowing it.

On this same hand, is it possible to even regulate such an issue. Let's say our government bans mech mods or requires labels. Is that going to stop a Fasttech shipment? Can such a thing be effectively policed and enforced? If not, what's the point?

Right, wrong, or indifferent, I don't see a product with such a large gap for user error lasting too long in the US market. We're a bit too litigation happy for that. At the same time, they've already lasted longer than I figured they would. Back to the first point, most of that time the devices have been in the hands of the first wave of early adopters who take the time to educate themselves. Most second wave early adopters do to. Now we're getting into the mainstream and those people aren't really hobbyists. They're users and users are apathetic, lazy, and expect information fed to them. These are the people who at best come here and say, "tell me what I need to know" and at worst just buy stuff and talk like they're an expert without even knowing how to calculate wattage.

Furthermore, and it might be tin foil helmet time for me, does it seems terribly convenient to anyone else what we're seeing an uptick in D/AP concerns and discussions, battery and mod explosions, wrong-charger-on-eGos, and a 5P lawsuit while dealing with HR 2058, state level legislation, the 2016 Agricultural Appropriations Bill, and waiting to hear back from the FDA. I feel like some special interest group is really good at manipulating the media OR I really need a new hat.

Hat. Probably the hat.

God, I hope it's the hat.
As much as it pains me to say I don't think it's our hats! Unfortunately in our country today it's all about the Benjamines not the actual truth!

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country

Unless the "attorney" was a family member or friend I don't believe this happened.
An attorney comming physically into a store with a client and threatening a store owner is not only extremy unethical,and liable, it makes zero sense financially for the attorney, who would get a percentage of the personal injury claim.
It's also extortion.
The attorney basically cuts his own throat.
Maybe it was a friend or family member, but a random attorney would never ever do that.

cosmiccircle

Nov 19, 2010
USA
I have been vaping for a little over a year now. I do not understand the vape lingo.

I use an Aspire Atlantis on a Zen ZNA 50 watt. Is that the kind of set-up that can explode? I am able to adjust wattage on the ZNA.

Also - I have noticed a high pitched noise on a couple of occasions. When that happens I take the battery out, put another in and the noise goes away. I'm sure the noise is not supposed to happen and I think I have it narrowed down to a particular battery. I use all Efest IMR 18650 3.7 V 2800 batteries (except 1 is a 2500 mAh). Even though the mod goes up to 50 watts, I vape at 30 - 33 watts.

Also at times the mod does get hot, such as when I'm in my car and vaping a little more than I usually would anywhere else. Other times the metal is cold.

Does any of this sound dangerous to anyone? I just figured a battery would get hot. And after reading this story I'm throwing away whatever battery is in the ZNA when I hear the high pitched noise. I have never been able to tell if the noise is coming from the battery itself or the little digital board on the side.

HTB1UC3yGXXXXXaTXpXXq6xXFXXXG.jpg

NancyR

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
I have been vaping for a little over a year now. I do not understand the vape lingo.

I use an Aspire Atlantis on a Zen ZNA 50 watt. Is that the kind of set-up that can explode? I am able to adjust wattage on the ZNA.

Also - I have noticed a high pitched noise on a couple of occasions. When that happens I take the battery out, put another in and the noise goes away. I'm sure the noise is not supposed to happen and I think I have it narrowed down to a particular battery. I use all Efest IMR 18650 3.7 V 2800 batteries (except 1 is a 2500 mAh). Even though the mod goes up to 50 watts, I vape at 30 - 33 watts.

Also at times the mod does get hot, such as when I'm in my car and vaping a little more than I usually would anywhere else. Other times the metal is cold.

Does any of this sound dangerous to anyone? I just figured a battery would get hot. And after reading this story I'm throwing away whatever battery is in the ZNA when I hear the high pitched noise. I have never been able to tell if the noise is coming from the battery itself or the little digital board on the side.

HTB1UC3yGXXXXXaTXpXXq6xXFXXXG.jpg

The noise while you are correct in it shouldn't be there, it is documented and not a danger. It is something with the device if I remember correctly. While you should be concerned with it getting hot, a mod will sometimes get warm between the cell, body temp from holding it and the likes. What I do when if I feel one getting warmer than I feel is normal is I pull the cell and check it, if it isn't warm/hot then it isn't a concern.

If you do get rid of the battery/cell, please remember not to just throw it in the trash and take it to a battery recycling, many electronic stores will have that.

NancyR

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
Thank you for your reply. So the Zen ZNA is not the kind of mods we hear about exploding? I do have a mod that is just simply a button. The coils have to be built for it, but I'm not a dripper.

Any mod can have issues and any cell can vent, however regulated devices do not need the same level of care or knowledge

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Thank you for your reply. So the Zen ZNA is not the kind of mods we hear about exploding? I do have a mod that is just simply a button. The coils have to be built for it, but I'm not a dripper.

Concerning used batteries. I take them to my local vape store.

No the zna is not one of those mods you hear about exploding; the zna is a regulated mod with short circuit protection.

The setups in the hands of unwary users that causes problems are the mechanical mods with no short circuit protection.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I normally only read these threads, but thought this would be better suited adding to this thread then starting another. Guess you could say this one "hit a little closer to home".

I 'hit the button and it just blew up': Columbus man almost loses an ear in e-cigarette explosion

Just a couple comments to add:

While they don't specify in what length of time, the article states "According to the most recent report by the U.S. Fire Administration, 25 e-cig explosions have been documented in the United States." I would be curious how many of those 25 incidents involved mechs and/or DIY coils.

And stepping up onto my soapbox, I have pretty much always disliked the term "e-cigarettes", but now wonder if any one term should be used for all the various devices used for vaping. How many smokers shy away from trying a pen style setup due to lack of details in headlines and articles like this?

Reactions: EBates
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread