Not open for further replies.

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
This thread and others like it is exactly why ill never buy a mech mod

Safety, it shouldnt be optional and it should (ideally) survive end user stupidity

Plus i think that those who buy shiny high end metal tubes for stupid
amounts of money for tube status are dheads....

At AUD$70+- for a decent VW/TC mod, with all the safety built in (sorry Kanger Nebox, not you)...yes please

should be a no brainer, arent we using these devices for harm reduction after all,
why abandon rational thought when it comes to the devices

#BanShinyHighEndWankerTubes <- this may happen with reports like this anyways

VW/TC mods...because you shouldnt have to worry about your device becoming a pipe bomb
Now you got me wondering what's wrong with the Nebox?

Sent from my i6S+

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
The bad part is with so many people converting and not learning anything, this is going to happen more often. Many people get a mech. because of price but never learn the ins and outs of using one. Now with temp control gaining popularity and some tanks coming with temp coils or reg. and temp coils, someone is going to use the wrong one at the wrong time and boom. Everyone involved in more advanced types of devices are going to have to play a part in safety. People need to research and learn on their own, local shops need to provide better instruction on safety (to consumers and employees) and we ourselves need to educate people we see or hear doing something unsafe.

Many people I'm betting don't even realize they are doing something unsafe but there are the few who ignore the information and do whatever they want. Those are the people I worry about, as they are the ones that help fuel the fire on unsafe practices and will help usher in regulations. We live in a world of stupid, where we have to make things over engineered for safety, due to the few ignorant folk that refuse to follow any rules, regulations and/or guidelines.

We started a losing battle with sanity when people could sue (and win) over coffee being too hot. If anyone want's a fun read, go into your bathroom and look at the warning labels on shaving cream, soap, shampoo and such or do it the next time you're out shopping. There are a few that actually say do not use near open flame, really how many people shave by candle light these days.

I agree with much of your post. In regards to "the bad part is with so many people converting and not learning anything, this is going to happen more often."

I see this happening because many new vapers don't seek out information beforehand! Sure, they may want to quit smoking & the steps taken is to enter a B&M as opposed to the person who starts looking online where one search of something leads to another search of something else & before you know it, that person has found ECF or the like.

It is my belief that out of every 10 new vapers, only 1 or 2 have found themselves either reading forums or watching Youtube. And much like myself when I began vaping, it was thru these 2 mediums that I gained the knowledge I have to this day about vaping, safety, ohm & batteries.

My B&M experiences were horrible. So horrible in fact that I'd leave a store cringing & coudn't wait to get back on ECF where people actually made sense & knew what they were talking about.

It's so sad when you're the one new to this & have more knowledge than the people actually selling this stuff to you.

Sent from my i6S+

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
That's just sad. Sounds like a new vaper was sold the wrong starter gear and never got told what batteries to use.

Regardless of venting - our batteries of choice do not blow up instantly like this one apparently did. Regardless of that - that is not a setup for someone just wanting to kick the cigs.

There are no vent holes that will make the wrong kind of battery vent less violently. How well a battery handles a thermal runaway is not a function of the mod - regardless of protective features like short circuit protection or even temperature shutdowns. What does it matter if the tiny little screen reads "temp hi" for a fraction of a second (or not) before the battery (not the mod) goes boom.

Don't let safety features be a replacement for knowing how to safely operate a battery powered Anything, folks. Scares me when people who apparently know next to nothing about batteries think their mods will magically keep them safe regardless of what they throw at it or stick in it.
Slow rolling applause!!!

Tapatyped

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Mech mods may well be the sacrifice the community has to make, don't get me wrong I love my Dimitri and it gives me a better vape then some of my regulated but too many new people are buying mechs and just haven't got a clue what they are doing. On the face of it for non vapers ecigs must look dangerous as more and more stories like the one in the op are happening and while we know they can be safe non vapers just are not going to delve too deep to find the facts. B&m's need to take their share of the blame as most don't care as long as they get the cash and I've had to help out friends who went into a b&m admitting they were totally new to vaping and walked out with mechs, sub ohm tanks and crap batteries usually with a massive markup. The "victim" of this story is likely a victim of a sloppy b&m and his own laziness in not bothering to research his new setup just putting the battery in slapping that tfv4 on and boom.
I say we sacrifice idiots and greedy .......s instead. Guaranteed to be AT LEAST 99% more effective in the long run.

Tapatyped

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Poor analogy. You have to be trained, pass a test and possess a licence for any of those items.
Poor logic... you have to go through that daily save for the licensure just to grow to adulthood.

A license is a piece of paper or a piece of plastic. In every industry there are instances where it means nothing of actual knowledge of the subject matter.

There are people getting caught every day across the US for obtaining their class A cdl by fraud... in every state.

That's a lot of 80,000 pound death traps constantly aimed at your family.

Tapatyped

Reactions: Bad Ninja

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Unfortunately, how many people realize they need education before going out and buying a mod?

You
Me
The guy you're asking.

To name a few.

We were all intelligent enough to seek answers.

It's not that hard.

Not doing so seems... stupid.

Tapatyped

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Wouldn't it be nice to get back to the time when adults doing stupid things took responsibility for being a stupid adult rather then blaming the object of their stupidity

Here here!!!

Just wish stupidity wasn't running the country (ies).

Tapatyped

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
I can't believe this has to be said...
Please stop blaming the minimum wage clerk for not educating an adult about battery safety, and primitive electronic theory.

As an adult, you must take responsibility for your own actions no matter how dumb they may be.

You don't regulate everyone because a few people make obviously foolish mistakes, like not researching what devices they stick in their own mouths.
Which means it needs repeating.

Would make a good sig line. :D

Tapatyped

Reactions: Bad Ninja

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
What I've noticed is a recent trend of complete noobs being given mech mods and RBAs by their friends (some barely past the noob stage themselves) who have moved on to the regulated box mods. I've seen half a dozen completely new vapers come in with a mech mod and an RDA setup and say, "My friend gave/sold this to me, how do I use it?"

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
What I've noticed is a recent trend of complete noobs being given mech mods and RBAs by their friends (some barely past the noob stage themselves) who have moved on to the regulated box mods. I've seen half a dozen completely new vapers come in with a mech mod and an RDA setup and say, "My friend gave/sold this to me, how do I use it?"
Sad.

But on the bright side at least your inquiries are seeking knowledge at a place they'll find what they're looking for.

Tapatyped

Reactions: Rocketpunk

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Now you got me wondering what's wrong with the Nebox?

Sent from my i6S+

A recent reviewer found what happens if you let the tank run low
on a Kanger Nebox, no temp protection - i.e. 1300+ degree dry burn,
obliterated coil and cotton and if youre using Ti at the time,
a nice dose of Ti oxide:

(linked to time of issue)

Like whatthefudge KangerTech, no temp protection on a temp control device?...

Last edited:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Looks like Cloud Chaser brand of battery The shop hope to God for their sake they have grown a brain and have pulled them from their shop. They are labeled as 40 amp 3200 mah 18650. Ok Google Cloud Chaser battery scam and there you go. Need I say more!! Don't think the guy was told that before they sold them.

This is where some enforcement of existing regulations would solve some problems, however the trend today is MORE regulations and less actual enforcement.

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
This thread and others like it is exactly why ill never buy a mech mod

Safety, it shouldnt be optional and it should (ideally) survive end user stupidity

Plus i think that those who buy shiny high end metal tubes for stupid
amounts of money for tube status are dheads....

At AUD$70+- for a decent VW/TC mod, with all the safety built in (sorry Kanger Nebox, not you)...yes please

should be a no brainer, arent we using these devices for harm reduction after all,
why abandon rational thought when it comes to the devices

#BanShinyHighEndWankerTubes <- this may happen with reports like this anyways

VW/TC mods...because you shouldnt have to worry about your device becoming a pipe bomb

The mods I currently use are a GG4S with the air flow control ring, an Empire, an iHybrid Pure and a Reo Mini 2.0. All of which are mechs, they cost LESS than many of these stupid 200 + watt devices that can be just as unsafe if improperly handled, and they all give me a vape that many of those over priced regulated devices can't.

Not to mention, after the governments get done and regulated stuff to the point none of these fancy mods will be able to be sold mech or regulated, when your chip dies you will be without a vape, me on the other hand they can't stop me from buying batteries, so I will still be vaping the same way I am now.

The answer isn't to ban mech mods, it is shops need to quit selling them if they don't know how to educate the end user or if the user doesn't want to bother learning.

And just an FYI, the ones making the news are not high end mechs, they are cheap china clones, and while I have nothing against clones, I do dislike that the lower cost clones make it easier for new vapers without the knowledge to use them safely can buy them from any number of places including fasttech.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
And just an FYI, the ones making the news are not high end mechs, they are cheap china clones, and while I have nothing against clones, I do dislike that the lower cost clones make it easier for new vapers without the knowledge to use them safely can buy them from any number of places including fasttech.

The problem isn't clones.
The same idiots would have dead shorted a $400 authentic.
In fact, many of the toppers were authentic sub ohm tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread