Mech mod disfigures a e-cig user, sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
EDIT: Most reputable batteries are 20 amp CDR, there are lower but most stocked now are 20, at least where I live and shop online.

Depends on the battery size, just as TJ uses a mod that takes 14500 and 14650, I tend to use stuff that takes 18500.

Reactions: tj99959

csAdams

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2011
Yardville, NJ
Mech mod license. People should have to take a class and get certified. I know this is impossible but I've seen too many people doing dumb stuff. I have a friend who came over with a smple mod with a nautilus and a battery from e bay he knew nothing about. I made him disassemble it and put it in his car.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Ya see, I understand that my 14500 battery is a 15c , 650mAh battery, which works out to 9 amps. That's why my build on it only draws 2.3 amps. (9.8 watts)

I don't happen to have any 14650 that are 15c cells, about the best that can be found are only 10c (9.5 amp). That's why I normally choose to use the 14500 batteries.

Last edited:

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 16, 2013
    alabama
    Depends on the battery size, just as TJ uses a mod that takes 14500 and 14650, I tend to use stuff that takes 18500.

I'm speaking of 18650 batteries as that was the battery type in the original post and the most common battery size now, besides the 26650. The 14xxx series has been slowly disappearing.

WattWick

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2013
    Cold Norway
    Even the wife of the injured guy seems less hysterical than some.

Mandatory warning signs in vape stores is a regulation I'd support. Knee-jerk hysteria - not so much.

"Use the right kind of battery or pay the medical bill yourself" should do it.

Simple warnings on packs of Duracells are good enough to keep those on the market. Why not our stuff?

madangus

ECF Veteran
    May 10, 2015
    Chicago-land
    Thank you @NancyR !
    Passive safety devices and active training are the only way to really change things!

OK so maybe there's not an easy fix for old mech. mods & that's understandable. But can't safety be engineered into the new ones?
    SAVE THE MECH. MOD! mAKE IT "SAFER"!

A big thing the safety device is likely to be electronic and means the device goes from lasting a lifetime with cleaning to lasting a decade or at least as long as the electronics last. Given what may happen soon, makes it a less appealing fda-proof backup.

It's a shame for the guy. I just dunno what the solution is or if its all kinda mute anyway

Woofer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 8, 2014
    PA, SK, CA
    my main vaping friend is definitely in the advanced class of vapers and he has had three incidents in the last year mainly due to bad design and once because he was tired but I'm the only person who knows.

If one looks at industrial accidents we see that those at most risk are the very new and the very experienced.

I find it distressing that you have excuses for his incidents. He is experience but not enough to recognize "bad design"? Not just once but twice... hmmm

He operates close enough to the edge that being tired resulted in an incident?

Please don't take this to mean I am in favor of heavy handed gov regs.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    haleysdadda said:
    OK so maybe there's not an easy fix for old mech. mods & that's understandable. But can't safety be engineered into the new ones?
    SAVE THE MECH. MOD! mAKE IT "SAFER"!

You're still missing the point.
    It's about "self reliance".

If push should come to shove we will need to know how to make our own mods & atomizers. Mechanicals & RDAs make that possible for many. If you can't, you probably have a friend that can.

When I started vaping the FDA was involved in a law suit, customs was seizing shipments, and the end of vaping was looming over our heads. That has never changed, it's been one battle after another both local and federal. So "self reliance" is pretty much a must if we wish to continue to vape.

The fancy regulated mods are all well & good, but they are probably not something you can make yourself.
    It would probably take me all of 20 minutes to make a PV, and about 5 to turn a coax conector into a RDA.
    Deeming regulations will not shut down your local Radio Shack.

Last edited:

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 16, 2013
    alabama
    You're still missing the point.
    It's about "self reliance".

If push should come to shove we will need to know how to make our own mods & atomizers. Mechanicals & RDAs make that possible for many. If you can't, you probably have a friend that can.

When I started vaping the FDA was involved in a law suit, customs was seizing shipments, and the end of vaping was looming over our heads. That has never changed, it's been one battle after another both local and federal. So "self reliance" is pretty much a must if we wish to continue to vape.

The fancy regulated mods are all well & good, but they are probably not something you can make yourself.
    It would probably take me all of 20 minutes to make a PV, and about 5 to turn a coax conector into a RDA.
    Deeming regulations will not shut down your local Radio Shack.

I agree 100% except about RadioShack, they seem to be putting themselves out of business all on their own, lol.

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 15, 2013
    East Midlands, United Kingdom
    The tired incident was because he was making mods for people and didn't want to let anyone down so kept at it too long and the poor design can happen to anyone that's why he has his test room with a nice thick concrete box with steel lid those mods he'd bought looking for inspiration. Not excuses just what happened and what can happen to anyone but I think sometimes if he posted about it some good might be done and he's far from the only one a couple of well known reviewers have had very close calls but you wouldn't know it from their video's. Even on this forum we have people promoting mechs to people that shouldn't be using them with their current knowledge and there are times when inexperienced user's post issue's with mechs that show they were the problem and they just get given the answer rather then people being honest and telling them to put the mech aside and get a regulated till their knowledge and experience grow. For me my Dimitri was my reward to myself for all the hours of research meaning I could use it safely and I personally think mechs are what you move onto when your experience progresses so far..

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 16, 2013
    alabama
    The tired incident was because he was making mods for people and didn't want to let anyone down so kept at it too long and the poor design can happen to anyone that's why he has his test room with a nice thick concrete box with steel lid those mods he'd bought looking for inspiration. Not excuses just what happened and what can happen to anyone but I think sometimes if he posted about it some good might be done and he's far from the only one a couple of well known reviewers have had very close calls but you wouldn't know it from their video's. Even on this forum we have people promoting mechs to people that shouldn't be using them with their current knowledge and there are times when inexperienced user's post issue's with mechs that show they were the problem and they just get given the answer rather then people being honest and telling them to put the mech aside and get a regulated till their knowledge and experience grow. For me my Dimitri was my reward to myself for all the hours of research meaning I could use it safely and I personally think mechs are what you move onto when your experience progresses so far..

This is the thing I keep trying to pass on to people, knowledge and safety does not come from vaping a long time. Knowledge and safety comes from education, by looking up what you are buying and how to use it. Many newer vapers are getting hurt but it is due to lack of knowledge. This lack falls on themselves and people selling them devices that they really don't need to start with.

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 15, 2013
    East Midlands, United Kingdom
    Absolutely a new vaper that's done the research and has a full understanding of the aspects involved can be every bit as safe as a five year vaper sadly many new vapers don't put the time into research make basic mistakes some get injured and like every bad workman blame the tools.

SpookyWooky

Nov 6, 2015
    What I don't get is why these news stories never mention the small detail that the explosion part can only really happen when the battery cannot vent properly (unless I guess someone thought buying a battery off ebay was a good move), then urge viewers to do a simple check of removing the top / bottom of their mod and blowing into it to see if air can escape hehe.

It always seems to be the same old story, ecig exploded and no-one has any idea of how it happened, or how to avoid it, be afraid cos it might happen to you !!.. always the great unknown, the risk of being a vaper, we are guinea pigs haha... when in reality a kid with 5mins access to google could probably find the exact reasons behind it with time left over to watch some youtube :D.

All that is needed to save some peoples teeth is some simple ecig safety news stories, but I guess then they wouldn't have the next headline story of someones face getting blown up to look forward to ;)

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    good lord why are all these people putting flashlights into their mouths anyway? I'm searching my mind and can't think of any time I've ever placed a flashlight into my mouth;)

I had done it multiple times. Especially now that they make the small ones. Keeps your hands free to do the fixin.

If they put vent holes on the bottom and saliva got in...

I guess I'm not the germaphobe I thought I was. I use a Headlight now :)

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    ARE YOU INSANE?! Strapping a battery to your forehead?! :p :nun:

(Just joking around. I use the very same batteries I vape with - in a headlamp.)

Lol. Omygosh, I've never even checked if they're proper. An inch away from my eyes and brain, lol. All I was thinking was- Boy, I look cool now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread