Status
Not open for further replies.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
I'm not exactly sure but it's about 7 wraps of 26 gauge around a 2.4mm drill bit so I'm assuming it's around 0.4 0.5 I'm not to sure I don't have a way to test it. I'm just building the coils I used to build on my box mod and remembering what ohms those coils used to be. I've also tried 7 wraps of 22gauge around 2.4mm and 9 wraps. But all did this same thing the 22 gauge barley even heated up lol.
You must get an ohms tester. Do NOT make your own coils without an accurate one. It is dangerous, particularly below 1 ohm.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
Please put the mod down and don't touch it any more until you know how to use it safely. I've been vaping on mech mods for over a year now and still feel a lil fear when it comes to hybrids. They are like the x-games of vaping. Most of the stories you see on the news about folks who blew half their face off with an e-cig are people doing exactly what you are doing. You are an inexperienced user with a hybrid mech mod with the wrong atty and a sub-par battery. It's a recipe for disaster. Not trying to be rude, just saying you are the next vaping disaster headline waiting to happen.

Nikea Tiber

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2015
Seriously man, do some research. That battery shouldn't be used to vape on modern equipment, or atomizers built to typical resistances for current generation batteries. While we are on the subject of resistance... get a 510 ohm meter. They are calibrated to read resistance to the hundredth of an ohm, most cheaper digital mulitmeters only do tenths of an ohm on the resistance meter.

Building coils without checking their resistance is like driving through a fogbank without headlights.

What you are doing is dangerous. Consider yourself warned.

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
East Midlands, United Kingdom
Get yourself a regulated mod to use while your researching the relevent topics to safely use a mechanical mod, no offense but from your postings you don't have the knowledge at this time to be as safe as you can with a mechanical mod and whilst not your intention your risking yourself and anyone else that might be around you. Efest are not a good battery brand to use with mechanical mods they are b & c grade battery's from the reputable makers like Sony, lg and Samsung efest then rewrap them and mislead on specs. As others have said get a Sony vtc 4\5 or Samsung 25r and keep an eye on the plastic coating of the battery any tears or holes in the coating stop using the battery.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
As soon as that button got hot, that was your warning to put it down. Be grateful you got a warning. Many don't and the mod turns into a pipe bomb.

Watch videos on "hybrid top"/direct to battery mechs and safe use.

Get an ohmmeter and/or DMM. I think both are a good idea.

Get good batteries and learn battery safety.

I'm very glad you're ok :)

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
While we are on the subject of resistance... get a 510 ohm meter. They are calibrated to read resistance to the hundredth of an ohm,
Get something else to doublecheck on, like a regulated mod. I had a cheapie that read to a tenth, and doublechecked. It was a random number generator.

Reactions: mattiem

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It is very good that you came here with your problem. You have gotten some very good advice from folks that know. Please heed their warnings. This is not something that you want to guess about. You are doing something that is VERY dangerous. None of us want to see you on the nightly news channel with half you fingers blown off or worse.

If the button is getting that hot then your battery is getting to hot and is getting ready to do some very bad things. Pipe bombs are not toys. They can and do go boom !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bilonix

Dec 22, 2014
Victoria BC
Wow... you guys are... partially helpful. Just keep telling me that im an idiot and what im doing is stupid and don't tell me how to fix it? nice...
Im picking up new samsung 25r batteries today and an ohm reader. what else do I do, aside from that? its so ....ing redundant to post on here telling me im an idiot for all im doing and then dont say .... to help. These things are not very hard. ive asked simple questions. why my button is getting hot? I have no idea, want to know why? because nobody tells me how to fix it... just that i shouldn't be using it because i dont have all this crazy knowledge about them.
Im legit doing everything everyone has said so far.. and that is, get a new battery and get an ohm reader haha. what else guys? i guess ill see if my button still gets hot or not still in a little bit.

Reactions: 3mg Meniere

Bilonix

Dec 22, 2014
Victoria BC
Please put the mod down and don't touch it any more until you know how to use it safely. I've been vaping on mech mods for over a year now and still feel a lil fear when it comes to hybrids. They are like the x-games of vaping. Most of the stories you see on the news about folks who blew half their face off with an e-cig are people doing exactly what you are doing. You are an inexperienced user with a hybrid mech mod with the wrong atty and a sub-par battery. It's a recipe for disaster. Not trying to be rude, just saying you are the next vaping disaster headline waiting to happen.
example A. Big johnny here preaching about his wisdom with mech mods and says nothing about how to actually fix my problem... just tells me how inexperienced I am. great bud, thanks.

BeerGolfClouds

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2014
Orange County, CA, USA
In summation:

1. Be sure the positive pin at the 510 connection on your atty is protruding past the negative threads. If it's not, or you don't know how to check this, you should not be using a hybrid-style mech mod.

2. Your button may be shorting out. Take it completely apart, clean it thoroughly, and verify that it is in perfect working order as you are reassembling it. If you don't know how to do this, you should not be using a mech mod.

3. Get a quality battery. The Samsung 25r is great, but it is a 20 amp battery. There are no 35 amp batteries. REPEAT: There are no 35A batteries. That is a marketing ploy.

4. Nobody is calling you an idiot. Everyone here is genuinely concerned for your well-being.

Oh, and 5. Get an ohm reader, multimeter, or preferably both.

Good luck and vape safe.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
No one called you stupid. Everyone here has your best interests in mind when they tell you not to fool around with that mod. Several people here told you that your biggest problem is the atty you put on the mod. It's pin isn't long enough to reach the battery safely. It didn't seem that you wanted to do anything about that so I suggested (and even said I wasn't trying to be rude) you leave the rig alone until you understood how to use it safely. I didn't call you stupid. At least one other person suggested that you buy a regulated mod to use until you learn how to safely use a mech, but that didn't seem to sink in either. If you insist on using the some of the most dangerous equipment on the market without learning the dangers and how to avoid them, no one here can help you.

newvaper92

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2015
Jackson, Michigan
Your button and battery are getting hot because it is shorting out somewhere, also the reason you are getting a weak vape. You need to find out where the short is, whether it is the atomizer connection, button, or the battery shorting to the tube of the mod. I don't see anyone calling you an idiot, just trying to help keep you safe. I have been vaping almost a year, and I'm not comfortable using a mechanical mod. Not saying I never will, but I get a great vape off of a regulated device and tank with stock coils. That may be your best bet until you get the proper hardware to build and vape safely on a mechanical.

Bilonix

Dec 22, 2014
Victoria BC
No one called you stupid. Everyone here has your best interests in mind when they tell you not to fool around with that mod. Several people here told you that your biggest problem is the atty you put on the mod. It's pin isn't long enough to reach the battery safely. It didn't seem that you wanted to do anything about that so I suggested (and even said I wasn't trying to be rude) you leave the rig alone until you understood how to use it safely. I didn't call you stupid. At least one other person suggested that you buy a regulated mod to use until you learn how to safely use a mech, but that didn't seem to sink in either. If you insist on using the some of the most dangerous equipment on the market without learning the dangers and how to avoid them, no one here can help you.
Honestly i could have several people tell me not to use this mech and get a regulated until i learn but this is how im learning, asking questions and moving forwards. everyone just seems so pessimistic. I have a Velocity rda with an adjustable pin, it is definitely out past the negative silver part of the addy. i just cleaned my entire mod the other day with some toothpaste for a light abrasive and a soft bristle toothbrush. made sure i got all the connections and threads and everything else.
IMG_0945[1].JPG

Judge Dredd

Reviewer / Blogger
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Wow... you guys are... partially helpful. Just keep telling me that im an idiot and what im doing is stupid and don't tell me how to fix it? nice...
Im picking up new samsung 25r batteries today and an ohm reader. what else do I do, aside from that? its so ....ing redundant to post on here telling me im an idiot for all im doing and then dont say .... to help. These things are not very hard. ive asked simple questions. why my button is getting hot? I have no idea, want to know why? because nobody tells me how to fix it... just that i shouldn't be using it because i dont have all this crazy knowledge about them.
Im legit doing everything everyone has said so far.. and that is, get a new battery and get an ohm reader haha. what else guys? i guess ill see if my button still gets hot or not still in a little bit.

example A. Big johnny here preaching about his wisdom with mech mods and says nothing about how to actually fix my problem... just tells me how inexperienced I am. great bud, thanks.

No one said you were stupid or an idiot. The members here have your best interest in mind when giving advice about potentially dangerous usage of vaping products. While it may seem like an insult, please take this kind of advice with a grain of salt and realize no one here wants you to get hurt.

To ALL in this thread, please keep it civil. I don't think we're at the point of any punitive action yet but it is getting a little close.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
College student shatters vertebrae after his e-cigarette exploded
This is one of the most recent e-cig related injuries. This is what almost happened to you when your mod got hot. I'm a nice guy and genuinely don't want to see you get hurt. But my motive in cautioning you is 2-sided. Every time something like this shows up in the headlines, the folks who are anti-vaping publicize the :censored: out of it and make it that much harder on ALL of us.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Hmm, what do you mean exactly by "be sure the 510 + connector is extended enuf beyond the negative threaded part of the addy" I have a little ring thing that is threaded in near the top of the mech tube. And then the addy just screws into that and that connects to the battery. My atty does have a pin that I have extended out pretty far. But as I said about the button it's kinda messed up and moves around abit when I press it and all that. Could that be a factor to why it is shorting? And the shorting it what is causing the burning and hot button?
P.S. I'm hoping to buy a Samsung 25r 35amp battery soon.
Does your atty have an adjustable center pin or are you just unscrewing the screw that holds it all together? If not a true adjustable center pin it is getting loose up in the atty and shorting out causing your problems and a DANGEROUS problem.

Bilonix

Dec 22, 2014
Victoria BC
No one said you were stupid or an idiot. The members here have your best interest in mind when giving advice about potentially dangerous usage of vaping products. While it may seem like an insult, please take this kind of advice with a grain of salt and realize no one here wants you to get hurt.

To ALL in this thread, please keep it civil. I don't think we're at the point of any punitive action yet but it is getting a little close.
we're good mod. just having a discussion. in real life this would just be a discussion, all good. im just trying to get some info. cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread