Mechanical - To Kick or Not To Kick

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcannon1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
Savannah, GA
The one kick I owned was finicky. There are many mechanical mods being made for use with a kick (like the bombshell stinger) which might provide more consistent results as far as the fit of the Kick, ensuring a solid ground, etc since they were designed with the Kick in mind.

Personally I like my mechanical mods with just a good, high drain battery (either AW IMR or the Panasonic hybrids). I just change my battery out when the vape starts getting too light (usually around 3.5-3.6v for me).

The beauty of a mechanical mod is that it just works. Your fingers are actually physically completing the circuit. When you introduce another element to the equation it kind of defeats the purpose to me. If you are using a rebuildable with it you can introduce a greater level of control over the vape by changing your resistance.

If you want VV or VP there are now a fair number of decent quality devices out there that are just a few bucks more than the Kick.

My opinion (worth exactly what you paid for it) is to leave the mechanical mods purely mechanical and invest in a VV or VP device if that's what you want.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
I've got a provari and a lot of other mods. I bought a black chrome silver bullet an then the sleeve so I could put a kick and use a AW protected battery ande also an AW IMR in it. I can do from a 18500 or a 18650 either way. Take it out if I'm using a LR carto/tank. I refuse to get into the argument of wattage with anyone. I like a cool vape personally. That's why I like the kick. I use around 6-7 watts and find that all my juice works good around that range. I like my kick when I want to swap from LR to HR carto's. But that just my two cents worth. Yea it sucks when it shuts off half way home but then I just pick up a vamo or the provari or itaste and keep vaping. Get home and swap batteries and keep happy all the way.

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
and added protection for shorts and/or too low battery drain. The Kick protects battery from being drained too low, which extends the overall life of the battery.

Will the 2cent fuse keep the wattage the same until the battery reaches 3.24v under load? Nope. And spending $10 on a fuse that goes ( if over 5A ) by the time 4 are used the kick should still be going.

thats what i meant about the 2cent fuse,,i no where near said or implied anything about watts !!

fuses don't get replaced very often either

fwiw,,they also make a fuse now that will re-set its self IF there is ever a short ,,sell for around 15 bucks

JKVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
@ denali_41 .....Nah it's all good.

Just thought this......
a "2cent" fuse will do the same,,,and a lot cheaper too

was referring to this...........
and/or too low battery drain. The Kick protects battery from being drained too low, which extends the overall life of the battery.

Last edited:

Adam the Aussie

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2011
Australia
The kick can be a bit fragile, depends on what APV you use it in. If you're looking at a kick, what device are you looking at using it in? If you can access the kick without removing the kick or the battery to make wattage adjustments AND you can change batteries without removing the kick, definitely get one, it will be a great investment. If you have to take the kick out to make adjustments or/and have to remove the kick to change batteries, don't get one, it will be a pain to use until you eventually break it.

I love my kick, one of the best vaping investments I've ever made, but it's only good for certain devices.

JKVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The kick can be a bit fragile, depends on what APV you use it in. If you're looking at a kick, what device are you looking at using it in? If you can access the kick without removing the kick or the battery to make wattage adjustments AND you can change batteries without removing the kick, definitely get one, it will be a great investment. If you have to take the kick out to make adjustments or/and have to remove the kick to change batteries, don't get one, it will be a pain to use until you eventually break it.

I love my kick, one of the best vaping investments I've ever made, but it's only good for certain devices.

Can't agree with you more.
I originally got a Smoktech Telescope and knew I eventually wanted to put a kick in it. After watching many youtube reviews on the Kick realized that the Telescope was going to be a PITA to get the kick in and out of. I've heard some Telescopes are able to have the top cap taken on and off, but not the black chrome version I have. Thus I decided looked for something else before I went the kick route. Thats when I bought this.......
nanus_small.jpg

The top and bottom portion both come apart for easy access. The bottom part also has an on/off safety feature to disconnect battery ground from the device, kind of like the Tele's safety lock switch, which makes it possible to disconnect the Kick from the circuit with minimal effort. I also modified the Nanus by taking it apart , replaced the internal wiring with heavier duty 18g wire and replaced the switch with a 16A rated (very sturdy) one. Not fully mechanical, but even so somewhat fail safe.

Then I made a 510-510 pass-through so I can tap into it under load using a volt/ohm meter..........
ohmmeter_test.jpg

Using this I can test ohm of the atty and voltage the device is putting out under load when fired, and found that the Kick is very accurate in determining where to set the volts to get the proper power set. This allowed me to fine tune where I set the Kick, and now no matter what atty I connect to it now It's always putting out 8-8.2 watts. I have 8 Vivi Novas ranging from 1.8 - 2.7 ohm, and depending on the juices that are in them I can swap out flavors throughout the day and don't have to tinker with any setting while doing so. Without the kick a 2.5ohm atty with gives 5.5-6 watts (if battery is fully charged), with the kick where I found it works for me it always gives me 8.1 watts@4.5 volts. With a 1.8 atty the Kick gives me a slightly better vape than without, but it is close (7.5w vs. 8.1w).

I have not had to change the setting on the Kick for 3 days now. This is mainly what I am aiming for...so far my most reliable, set and forget device that always seems to hit my vaping sweet spot. Some people like to adjust their devices often, and I do have another device for when I do want to do that. But through most of my day not having to take time to do this is what I found I like, it makes it easier for me to switch up easily and not have to think about any settings.

Bottom line:
If you like to tinker with settings often while vaping, the Kick is not for you.
If you like to set and not think about it, like I do sometimes, I think its the best device available for when you want a little more out of a mechanical mod.

Nearly 5 months into quitting this is what I've found works for me, it can be different for everyone but if someone is looking into using a Kick, what this thread is all about, I hope someone finds this all useful to them.

Last edited:

Riff Raff

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
I recently bought a kick for one of my SB's, it didn't take to long to find that sweet spot and for thicker juice it really helped. Batteries I would add the sleeve and stay with the 18650. It is true that the kick will drain your battery faster, the 18650 will still get me through the day and I vape heavily.

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
Why wouldn't a company like say Precise plus, who seems to design mechanicql mods expecting to use the kick to just make it into the device and have an on off switch for it. Might be dumb question.
Also, if I use a mechanicql mod I thought I use an ICR protected AW and a fuse. With a kick would it be that I use a AW IMR unprotected?

JKVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Why wouldn't a company like say Precise plus, who seems to design mechanicql mods expecting to use the kick to just make it into the device and have an on off switch for it. Might be dumb question.

Can't agree more....As well as Nhaler's Stinger, which seems like its a GREAT device to use with a Kick since it uses a 26650 3500Mah battery.

Also, if I use a mechanicql mod I thought I use an ICR protected AW and a fuse. With a kick would it be that I use a AW IMR unprotected?

Use only a High Drain IMR with a Kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread