Memoirs of a transition - Diary of a new vaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpasticMuse

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2009
Under a tree outside Chicagoland
Hello everyone!

My name's John, and I've been a cigarette smoker for around 22 years. It's been up and down, but for the last several years, I've been roughly a carton/week smoker. I'll refrain from mentioning a brand, but they were formerly labeled as "ultra-lights", and the packaging is very ORANGE. (hint-hint, nudge-nudge, Bob's your uncle).

Sometime ago, being that I'm a talk-radio addict, I heard one or more ads for the "Smoke Assassin". I wasn't really paying attention, (as is best for talk radio), but it did plant the seed for a device that replaces smoke with vapor.

Monday of last week, I'm running late to the office, stop at my usual gas station where I get my coffee, morning snack, and usually my smokes when needed; at about $43 & change a carton. But I forgot I needed to get smokes. Halfway to work I go for a smoke, which was the last one in my last pack, and realize, "Sh*te, I forgot to pick up smokes!!!"

Now, I live in an IL county that has what seems to be fairly normal/ moderate Midwestern pricing on tobacco. But I work in Cook county- those same $43/carton smokes are around $6/pack. So I stop at one of the only places I pass in the middle of my commute, and ask, "How much for a carton of XXX ?" "Ehhh, ~$42 plus tax". 'Well that's only a couple dollars more' I think to myself and buy a carton. The total comes out after tax to be almost $47... Which somehow bugs me because I realize that, for the first time, even just rounding from the 'ones' place... I'm paying $50 per week to kill myself.

(insert joke) I've been married, so I no longer fear a slow death. (/joke) But hey, my divorce hasn't cost me $50/week!!

So later in the week I was driving back from a service call, and stopped off at a trucker-style gas station. On the counter were cartridge packs for the njoy. Bells rings, and I think, "Oh yeah, there some sort of alternative. I should check into that sort of thing..." And well, I do...

So "njoy review" meets Mr. Google, and the first site I meet is ElectronicCigaretteReview which has some great stuff. Moving on, I find out about the Red Dragon, and thought that could be it. More time on the Google and I found this site. Got a little confirmation that the NJoy isn't horrible, and that some still love their Red Dragons. (Nothing like the confirmation that you aren't headed down the wrong path)

After WAY too many hours of reading, call it a crash course, or maybe cramming (I estimate 30-35hrs in 6 days), I read that many people are introduced to "Vaping" from products like the Red Dragon, or from NJoy, or from others, but that ultimately the tend to end up moving to one (or more) of a few. I won't get into the options recommended, (DO YOUR OWN DARN CRAMMING), but it seems one of the major players is the model DSE801. Lots of good reviews/recommendations have been made toward it, and per my self-evaluation, I think it will be good for me.

Next post - self-evaluation and ordering

I think the 801 may have decent battery life. Comparatively speaking. However, for a carton-a-week guy, I would buy a 510, or at least a 901 with a manual switch. Clouds of vapor, control the drag yourself with the manual switch.

Check out the model-specific subforums. You'll see a bazillion posts in those particular categories...the others, not so much.

I don't want to bash any of them and in fact a Smoking Everywhere Gold actually got me into vaping (borrowed hits off it from someone else). However, instead of working your way up the vape chain, you could just start pretty high up. The better "mods" are for later if you go all out and don't care to have something that looks like a cigarette.

I'd get a good stash of 510's plus spare atomizers and batteries from Ruyandirect.com, then read the juice reviews and stock up there too. Expect to use liquid rather than prefilled cartridges. NHaler.com is my fave liquid but there's some other good ones too.

Congratulations on getting to the vape spot!

SueandCootie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2009
south central Mass
Best of vapin' to ya! One thing I learned when I got here that's important..get some good quality juice in a few different flavors and nic levels at the time you order a cig!! If you don't like anything you purchase you can sell here in the classifieds, it takes some of the risk off of trying new equipment and juice.

RIMP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Besides nhaler, I love his nuport, if you smoke menthol I would try vapor station's vs frost and his newport. Very good. And smoking as much as you do I would second the 510 with manual batts. Very good vapor and throat hit. nhaler has high voltage juice for the higher voltage pv's like the 510. Innovapor has an enhanced 510 kit that is $125 has most everything you need including extra batts and attys, also incl a pcc. Not a passthru I don't think. Can buy separate. With their coupon for 25% off over $100 purchase, code is INNOVAPOR25, the kit comes in just under $100 shipped I believe. Bought one for my son and he is smoke free after 2 wks:) Whew that was long:D

RIMP:evil:

SpasticMuse

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2009
So... I've got way too much info loading my brain, and it's either going to explode or implode. Of course this is on top of "real" life at work and home.

So we've got e-cigs, mini's, pen's... Lordy lordy. Here's what it came down to for me. Initially, I wanted a direct replacement. If it looks like a cig, smokes like a cig, it's a cig. (Insert Price-is-Right failure music here) No such thing is available. Anyone that seems to be in the know will tell you that.

What's that leave you with? Note-taking. What do you want, and what do you need? Me? I wanted something long lasting. My analogs, while being formerly label as "ultra lights" are also marketed as some of the longest lasting; the 'most puffs' on the market. So why not? I tested it. I sat here and kept a pen in one hand and a smoke in the other. Every time I took a drag, I struck a tally mark. I came up with an average of 25 puffs a cigarette. And of course it's not just the cigarette, it's the smoker. I say average because some were 15 drags, some were 32.

Playing with numbers

What does this tell me? To be honest, I don't know yet. But at least I've got something to start with. It tells me that an e-cig that claims it's carts are a 1/2 pack of cigs but it's only delivering ~100 puffs per cart, certainly doesn't add up per puff. It does tell me to be extremely cautious because that same cart may be the nicotine equivalent of a 1/2 pack of smokes. Used the same way, my nicotine intake would be at more than 200% my norm!!! And another thing I've learned is that nicotine itself is a poison and should be respected as such. [Of course, alcohol is a poison as well, so now I'm waiting for someone to come up with e-bourbon ;)]

Just to point out, this is the stuff I've learned in my cramming... I haven't gotten my first e-cig yet!! As you will find, I'm jumping in with both feet into vaping, but I'm doing my best to make as few mistakes as possible.

So I did all this research, picked a product, and now I needed a vendor. I dunno about endorsements around here, since I'm new to this board, but I would guess that he may not be a stranger to Coor's, that taste of the ROCKY's.

As I mentioned I'm jumping in with both feet. I've picked a DSE801 to start, and have ordered:

two batteries (one auto- that means it turns on as you draw on the e-cig; one manual, which means it has a switch you have to push to control)
two atty's (atomizers)
USB charger that works for both style batts
USB pass-through (it's an adapter so that you can plug in your e-cig and power it w/o a batt)
25 Cartridges
3 different small (10ml) bottles of e-juice (to re-fill cartridges and explore different flavors.)

I should be getting everything and starting my transition early next week. I plan to keep this memoir going at least for the next couple months, detailing issues (good and bad) to help anyone else wishing to escape tobacco.

I am John, and I want to be tobacco free.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I am John, and I want to be tobacco free.
You found an 801 that comes with manual batteries?
That's the first time I've heard anyone get one of those.

For what it's worth, I think you nailed it on your first order.
And I look forward to hearing what you think of the two different types of batteries.

SpasticMuse

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2009
WOW guys!!

Ok, so I know I'm a s..l..o..w.. poster... (always have been- even on other boards) and you all caught me in between segments. Partly because, well, I *try* to be a bit of a perfectionist even if it's just grammar or speeling [sic], (I fail a lot too - imagine how bad it'd be if I didn't try!!!) but also I knew this was a long-winded tale and broke it into sections.

As for other models, yes, I've seen the reviews, and even the recommendations of having different models. Certainly don't put it past me. Things are looking like adding either 510's or maybe 401's; but criminy, I gotta get my vape-legs first. ;)

Counting down via analogues left....
John

Hangtime

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2009
Welcome to ECF:D

I havent touched an analog since I got my first PV. I was a 21 year smoker- 1+ packs a day.

A few days into it I went through some bad widthdraws, not from nicotine but rather the chemicals in the tobacco. Didn't last too long and I will never take a drag off another smoke again.

I feel like a re-covering alchoholic. I don't think the analog cravings will ever go away, but when I get that feeling I hit my PV a couple of times and it goes away.

GL and happy vapeing.

SpasticMuse

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2009
The support I've gotten from my family, friends, and associates has been universal; everyone is for it.

Make no mistake: anyone who cares about you, even the ones who are smokers, are rooting for you to quit!! I'm not sure I've had this much unilateral support for any decision in my adult life. My mum has already stated not only "Good for you!", but as a smoker herself for longer than I would be allowed to mention publicly, she wants to steal one of mine that I haven't even received yet!!

My boss is thrilled, though I think for now I'll still be vaping outside. Ok with me for now, part of the beauty/attraction of being a smoker in the workplace (when allowed), is being able to say, "Frak this, I need a smoke", and going outside, getting a break, breathing some fresh air (between carcinogenic puffs), watching the birds/clouds, etc.

Of course, once there's the onset of the good'ol Chicago-land winter upon us, 8-o I think I might be making the argument about why it should be tolerated indoors... ( but one battle at a time)

So how it's broken down - smokers REALLY want to know about it! Nearly all smokers seem to want an alternative. Some of them have heard of these, some haven't. My initial order includes what 'I think' is a hefty amount of carts. A big part of that is because most of the people I know are smokers, and I want to be able to just whip out a new cart and go "Here. Try it!" Especially in the beginning, because I already know everyone's going to look at it and go, "What the heck is that?"

Non-smoking friends are just happy(mostly MORE so) that I'm taking a step away from tobacco. A few of them have heard about these too, but so far since it's not in their world, most have never heard of them. For those, I feel it a duty to pass what education I can onto them before various goverment and media outlets get the chance to say otherwise.

For my own anticipation, I wonder at the possibilites of a whole new world. Chances are good that in a few weeks I'll could be able to take a full breath for the first time in a decade. I have sleep issues... if I don't have lungs covered in tar, will those subside? Appetite?? Could go up, could go down. To be completely honest I'm already an overfed, long-haired, leaping gnome (10 useless points to the first person who knows what that's from:p) But what the heck, for reference in this memoir, I'm starting out as 5'9" and ~215lbs. Lets see where that goes.

A couple years ago, I was a regular at karaoke. I wasn't Idol-worthy, but giving a select catagory, I was alright. What's going to happen to my voice?

There's so much that can change, but I'm approaching this that there CAN be problems, but I anticipate more good than bad.

JLD

SpasticMuse

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2009
There was a time I did actually fancy myself a writer. Could probably even pass myself off as one given the classes I've taken. Someday, who knows? For now, I'll have to hope someone comes up with my desperately needed e-bourbon before I can compete with Hemingway . (Must admit I'm more a Bradbury fan though)

JLD

Hi Muse,
Please keep your posts coming. This is like catching the pilot episode of a new series. I'm excited. BTW, are you a writer?

Have a great day!:thumbs:

Edit: Ahh, not a writer. Just a perfectionist(just read your new post). Got it. That's why I enjoy the read.

SpasticMuse

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2009
Good advice that I've seen several times! My initial order included 3 10ml bottles; one each of:

Camel - used to LOVE Camel, and what might help is that I haven't had one in about a year.
Pina Colada - for something sweet and fruity
Mocha - Love my coffee, and I have heard that coffee flavors often end up closer to analogue flavor than supposed "tobacco" (If this is one of those, I don't know yet)

So I'll be getting plenty to play with to start, though I will mention that all of the above are 18mg juices, the lowest level available from the same site I ordered the rest of my stuff from, in this size, at the time I ordered. Which I *think* may over my nic "needs", but I also kind of disregard that as a potential help in my transition.

Stay tuned; time will tell.

On one side, I'm smoking analogue "ultra-lights", rated at 0.4mg nic per coffon nail. Figure 30 analogues/day, that's 12mg nic /day. But what does that mean? You can smoke them heavy- big, hot, deep, held inhales (we're still talking smoking, right?), or light smoking- light drags at occasional intervals.

Back to the self-evaluation post I noticed a mix. Even as I write now I've got one hanging 'tween my lips, and trying not to think about it and let my natural tendencies rule(usually a bad idea),many of my drags are short little drags that seem to be more about keeping the death stick going than me getting something from it. Of course I am, it is an inhale, and then there's an exhale, but that's about all. But every few of those there's one that's a nice pull, then an inhale, and also the multi-puff(wake-it-back-up) then big draw and inhale one. Which from what I have read is similar to many users procedures with 'Auto' batteries.

So I have no REAL clue on nic content, just like it seems everyone else at this point. My guess is that "for me", I'm on the high end of the right range. I think that more importantly I (like anyone else new to this) need to find flavor that I like, then deal with the nic levels.

Sorry to kinda highjack a response with an armchair response, but please keep info coming.

Best of vapin' to ya! One thing I learned when I got here that's important..get some good quality juice in a few different flavors and nic levels at the time you order a cig!! If you don't like anything you purchase you can sell here in the classifieds, it takes some of the risk off of trying new equipment and juice.

SpasticMuse

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2009
Yeah, the whole VG/PG aspect is hurdle a long way off.

For some reason though, the whole "losing your voice" concept for some notes reminds me of A-Ha's 'Take On Me' -

Through that scale he goes through for the chorus, I can follow well enough, but that last note... I try, and nothing comes out. I kinda wonder if the local dogs are hating me, or I'm not twisting my privates the correct way8-o, or.....

JLD

Hey john great story......just a note about your singing...I don't know about anyone else but I can't sing when I vape PG ....I can normally hit some really awful notes but now I just loose my voice when I try to reach them.

gnehdne

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
Henderson, Nevada
Hey SpasticMuse... Do I win the points! I admit that I have the advantage here being 55 and having not only experienced the 70's first hand but lived to tell about it!

Congratulations on your new adventure in vaping! You will not be disappointed!

Eric Burdon & WAR - Spill the Wine Lyrics

Spill the wine and take that pearl, Spill the wine and take that pearl

I was once out strolling one very hot summer's day
When I thought I'd lay myself down to rest
in a big field of tall grass
I lay there in the sun and felt it caressing my face

And I fell asleep and dreamed
I dreamed I was in a Hollywood movie
And that I was the star of the movie
This really blew my mind, the fact that me,
an overfed, long-haired leaping gnome
should be the star of a Hollywood movie

But there I was, I was taken to a place, the hall of the mountain kings
I stood high upon a mountain top, naked to the world
In front of every kind of girl, there was
black ones, round ones, big ones, crazy ones...

Out of the middle came a lady
She whispered in my ear something crazy
She said:

[spoken:]

I thought to myself what could that mean
Am I going crazy or is this just a dream
Now, wait a minute
I know I'm lying in a field of grass somewhere
so it's all in my head
and then.. I heard her say one more time:

[sung:]

[spoken:]
I could feel hot flames of fire roaring at my back
As she disappeared, but soon she returned
In her hand was a bottle of wine, in the other, a glass
She poured some of the wine from the bottle into the glass
And raised it to her lips
And just before she drank it, she said:

[sung:]
Spill the wine and take that pearl, Spill the wine and take that p

rjp44

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2009
West Chester, OH
It's interesting reading your posts as I am in the same position. I've been smoking since I was 17 except for a 5 yr break and currently smoke nearly 2 packs a day. Due to the expense....a carton is $52 here.....and the onset of early stage COPD, I certainly want to get rid the smoking habit and especially the tar, ammonia, CO and other chemicals going into my lungs

I did the research online, much of it here and decided on the the 510 with manual battery, and now I anxiously await the delivery.

I've experienced the same reaction from others as yourself. Anyone I mention it to is curious. Even my Dr. had never heard about e-cigarettes and wants to see how I do on them.

It will be interesting to compare our experiences and hopefully we'll both be free of "analogs" soon.

Hopefully, the FDA will stay out of this, but I'm sure they will get a lot of pressure from tobacco companies and from politicans worried about lost tax revenue.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
For now, I'll have to hope someone comes up with my desperately needed e-bourbon before I can compete with Hemingway . (Must admit I'm more a Bradbury fan though)

JLD

Well, it's not exactly e-bourbon, but . . . you can get whisky flavored e-liquids . . . as well as brandy, red wine, champagne . . . .

It's a brave new world out there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread