Memoirs of a transition - Diary of a new vaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
You found an 801 that comes with manual batteries?
That's the first time I've heard anyone get one of those.

For what it's worth, I think you nailed it on your first order.
And I look forward to hearing what you think of the two different types of batteries.

I believe both Ruyan Direct and EastMall now have manual batteries for the 801.

esdel

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Seattle, WA
Just like you, I researched for days before deciding what to buy. I eventually decided on the 510, and am I glad I did. In less than 2 weeks, I completely kicked a 35-year, 1.5 pack-a-day habit. I still have some analogs lying around; tried one the other day out of curiosity and it made me cough like crazy! I didn't enjoy it at all. I find that I totally prefer vaping to smoking. I don't see it as a substitute, but as the real thing. I don't know about the 801's but I've found that I couldn't live without an e-cig that lets you drip directly on the atomizer. Sometimes the atomizer gets too dry and you get an unpleasnat, metallic taste from it. Direct dripping eliminates the metallic taste and gives you a really strong, flavorful throat hit. You have to be careful not to drip too much at one time, because you'll flood the atomizer. This is easily fixed, but it's a pain. So, if you can't direct drip with the 801, I HIGHLY recommend you try the 510. I wouldn't try another e-cig, although I may try something like the Janty Stick someday (if the FDA doesn't ban the whole deal).

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
So, if you can't direct drip with the 801, I HIGHLY recommend you try the 510.

I direct drip with an 801 atomizer all the time. My aim isn't so great given the length of the barrel, but that hasn't seemed to make much of a difference. ;)

Of course, care needs to be taken when dripping while using an AUTOMATIC battery . . . less so with a MANUAL battery because the batteries should be fairly well sealed.

SpasticMuse

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2009
Under a tree outside Chicagoland
15 Useless points to you!

Though I have had some debates over the years about the lyrics, not to mention the "lost verse" that's rarely heard from the long version. - But that's another thread. :)

JLD

Hey SpasticMuse... Do I win the points! I admit that I have the advantage here being 55 and having not only experienced the 70's first hand but lived to tell about it!

Congratulations on your new adventure in vaping! You will not be disappointed!

Eric Burdon & WAR - Spill the Wine ...

Moonflame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Smith Mt Lake area, Va, USA
On the amount of nic compared to smoking....I was a pack and a half to 2 packs a day smoker of light cigs and I've found that my perfect level for e-liquid is to use 18 mg nic liquid, put it in a second bottle and add about a quarter of that amount of glycerin. I like the extra vapor that adding glycerin gives me and it knocks the nic liquid down to about 12 mg. I started doing this in the cart, when I toped off I'd add about a drop of glycerin to every 3 drops of nic liquid I used, but found it was easier to only have to top off with one bottle, thus the mixing in a separate bottle.

BTW do I get some useless points for knowing where "wink, wink, nudge, nudge, Bob's your Uncle" came from? :)

SpasticMuse

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2009
On the amount of nic compared to smoking....I was a pack and a half to 2 packs a day smoker of light cigs and I've found that my perfect level for e-liquid is to use 18 mg nic liquid, put it in a second bottle and add about a quarter of that amount of glycerin. I like the extra vapor that adding glycerin gives me and it knocks the nic liquid down to about 12 mg. I started doing this in the cart, when I toped off I'd add about a drop of glycerin to every 3 drops of nic liquid I used, but found it was easier to only have to top off with one bottle, thus the mixing in a separate bottle.

My initial thoughts are that my normal nic 'requirements' - (Seems like saying sleeplessness is caused by an Ambien deficiency) - would put me at around the 11mg juice level. But as I said, I'm not gonna worry about that too much right now, I think it may help my transition. Eventually, I think it would be great if I could get down to very low/ zero nic.

I keep referring to this experience as a "transition" because it's a journey; one foot put in front of the other, one step at a time, to go from one place to another. I'm being careful not to say "following a path", because while I have plans, directions, even a 'map' of sorts, I'm heading into new territory for me. Each step is on unknown ground. I try to be smart- examine that next step, test what I can to see if it's solid, and evaluate if it's the direction I want to go. But ultimately, I won't know until I actually take that step.

On the topic of steps, I'm one to tinker with just about everything (Y B NRML when you can have Kustom!!), so you can rest assured I will be playing with flavors, blends, cutting, etc. BUT... taking this a step at a time, I'd guess it'll be a couple weeks before I start fidgeting. Under most circumstances it would be sooner but, A)transitioning an addiction is way different than setting up the latest gadget, and B)right now is a hectic time at work, and I just won't have the spare time to 'play'

BTW do I get some useless points for knowing where "wink, wink, nudge, nudge, Bob's your Uncle" came from? :)

NO POINTS FOR YOU! *
You are on an internet message board. Therefore you MUST be tech-savvy, and that makes you a geek. And all geeks know where that's from. If you didn't, it would be my duty to revoke your geek license.
/sarcasm

*5 useless points for taking a mock dressing down in good spirits.

JLD

Moonflame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Thought you might be amused by this little story. When my son was about 8 we took him to see Eric Idle Exploits the Pythons. After the show Eric Idle was talking with people and signing autographs. My son walked right up to him and said "NI". I thought Eric Idle was going to fall off the stage he was laughing so hard. He called the other people in the cast over and was telling them how cool it was that this little kid was a Python fan.

SpasticMuse

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2009
Thought you might be amused by this little story. When my son was about 8 we took him to see Eric Idle Exploits the Pythons. After the show Eric Idle was talking with people and signing autographs. My son walked right up to him and said "NI". I thought Eric Idle was going to fall off the stage he was laughing so hard. He called the other people in the cast over and was telling them how cool it was that this little kid was a Python fan.

That's hilarious! I've never met the man, but from what I've seen, he's always stuck me as someone with a genuine sense of humour.

JLD

Moonflame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
My son was a lucky little kid. We took him to see Penn and Teller too when he was about 6 and I can still remember (he's almost 18 now) how impressed he was that Teller talked to him when we met them after the show. He had never heard Teller speak and thought he was so special because Teller talked to him. And my son had a hand me down Harley Davidson black leather jacket at the time and Penn told him how cool the jacket was. He was walking on air by the time we left the theater. Of course now we're lame and live too far away from anything to go to decent shows. But at least he has memories of those moments.

SpasticMuse

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2009
My son was a lucky little kid. We took him to see Penn and Teller too when he was about 6 and I can still remember (he's almost 18 now) how impressed he was that Teller talked to him when we met them after the show. He had never heard Teller speak and thought he was so special because Teller talked to him. And my son had a hand me down Harley Davidson black leather jacket at the time and Penn told him how cool the jacket was. He was walking on air by the time we left the theater. Of course now we're lame and live too far away from anything to go to decent shows. But at least he has memories of those moments.

Getting to hear Teller speak is a rare opportunity indeed! There's the end of "Penn & Teller Get Killed", but that's about it for most folks.

Never consider yourself lame/ in nowhere. I grew up outside Murray, KY. A place that most would consider mid-south of nowhere. But in the early 70's, my folks got to see the Russian Ballet Troop long before the Iron Curtain fell. It's all about catching the right opportunities at the right times.

JLD

SpasticMuse

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2009
This has to be quick, since I need sleep - 12 1/2 hour day which started 3 hours late.

But when I got home, there was a package!!! (Details in next post) When I finally inhaled vapor for the first time, I thought "Yep. That'll do." pulled the pack of analogues out of my pocket, threw them onto my desk, and have been vaping ever since.

:thumbs: I AM A VAPER! :thumbs:

Good night. Time to go vape in bed.

SpasticMuse

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2009
Thanks guys.
Again, I gotta be short since I've already pushed "bed-time" long enough. Besides, I have a cute 15yo waiting for me there...

-Behave! She's a cat.

So no "story method" in this post. {To those that may actually care, I'm far more disappointed than you, but appreciate it immensely. I LOVE chances to stretch those muscles} - But I'll pick it back up when I can.

Still analogue free. Not crazy about the basic tobacco/marl carts, but don't hate them. Finally "used one up" and rinsed it. Filled it with the camel juice and that was good. Don't LOVE it, but can say I like it.

Detecting some potential "non-nic" cravings. Keep looking to that ashtray for something. Wanting to light something.

Took inventory, and there's 6 packs (plus 3 &1/2) of analogues in the house, plus there's a pack in the glove box I think.

Been vaping almost constantly since 9pm. Much of which was to ward off the urge for an analogue. Started topping off the camel'd cart with mocha... Oh man, that stuff is evil. I'm trying to get control of an addiction, not start another one.

Yeah, I like it that much.

But even though it's an 18mg juice, I'm still want'n. (which is way off- I'll discuss later) So I think it's time I give in for the night, have an analogue, and give the 801 a rest for a round. (It's been getting pretty hot!!)

That's the only ground I give today.

I AM STILL A VAPER!

JLD

rjp44

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2009
West Chester, OH
I'm liking my 510 better than analogs, too, Spastic Mouse. I'm worried about the FDA now deciding to cut off my smoking cessation supplies. Started off with 2 basic kits and 3 30ml liquids and just got off eastmall site and ordered 5 ea. extra atomizers and batteries, a pass-thru, pcc, and 300ml of liquids.....that should hold me for a while....LOL.

Stew

Aug 25, 2009
Besides nhaler, I love his nuport, if you smoke menthol I would try vapor station's vs frost and his newport. Very good. And smoking as much as you do I would second the 510 with manual batts. Very good vapor and throat hit. nhaler has high voltage juice for the higher voltage pv's like the 510. Innovapor has an enhanced 510 kit that is $125 has most everything you need including extra batts and attys, also incl a pcc. Not a passthru I don't think. Can buy separate. With their coupon for 25% off over $100 purchase, code is INNOVAPOR25, the kit comes in just under $100 shipped I believe. Bought one for my son and he is smoke free after 2 wks:) Whew that was long:D

RIMP:evil:

Hey there! I've been lurking around on the site for about a week. I've boiled down my first PV should be the 510. So, I go to the site you had suggested (great deal btw) and then saw the EVO. Is that just a modified 510 with a bigger, more bad .... battery?

Anyone?

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Hey there! I've been lurking around on the site for about a week. I've boiled down my first PV should be the 510. So, I go to the site you had suggested (great deal btw) and then saw the EVO. Is that just a modified 510 with a bigger, more bad .... battery?

Anyone?
The EVO is an M401 model.

I believe it is actually smaller than the 510 and has automatic batteries.
Although I have heard that they will be coming out with manual batteries soon.

SpasticMuse

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2009
I'm really wiped. Definately a short-sleep week, but the energy issue seems even more so.

This morning brought on some issues. For the sake of polite discussion, GI/ bathroom issues. Not really new in my world, but certainly seemed more pronouced than normal.

I have no idea whether these things are related or not. It's all new, so I'm over-aware.

Ended up having 2 tobaccy's last night. First I was ok with, but as I settled into bed, I heard the news about the death of a senator, and went with a second. (No politics in this thread please. A man who served this country, right or wrong, is dead. If that's an issue, there are thousands of other forums that are appropriate for that discussion)

I've decided to back off that delicious mocha for now. I think the sweetness is confusing my addiction, and leaving me still desiring tobaccy. Sucks since I've got a bottle of Pina Colada sitting here I haven't tried yet; but I'm fairly sure the results will be the same. (No worries, it won't be left alone) Find I'm adjusting to the Marl carts, and almost liking them now. Topped with Camel juice, I can hold in there pretty easy.

Ended up smoking 2 1/2 analogues today; but I feel I'm done for the day, so I still definately mark that as a victory.

For perspective, I told someone at work I'd only had two "real" cigarettes yesterday, and the response was, "Really?! That's all?"

Really like(ok love) the auto batt. Guessing that it's normal for most new vapes. But for me it ends up working exactly as a tobaccy cig would. (More depth on that later) Also nervous about it since I for now I have shown a propensity for overfilling carts. Not the nasty mouthful of juice effect, but the tip gets a bit wet, my mouth gets all sweet, and my lips feel like I just put on chapstick. Not horrible effects, (who likes chapped lips?) just worry that it might be getting to the battery at the other end, and could cause problems. But no signs yet. I pull the batts and check for signs of any moisture. It's been dry everytime, but better safe than sorry! If I think its a serious possibilty(freshly filled; acting wet) cart I throw the manual batt (sealed) on it until I feel safe it's back to a 'reasonable' moisture.

That's what I've got for today.

JLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread