Microfiber and Braided Fiberglass Cartridge Filler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mach10X

ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2009
Got this idea while reading through the "Cartridge Filler" Thread.

I'm new to vaping but I've been a scientist for many years now. The world is my laboratory. Someone mentioned braided fiberglass earlier and I have to agree with him. Liquid candles use ultra high grade paraffin oil, the better candles include fiberglass wicks.

An assortment of wicks:
6711.jpg

Capillary action draws liquid up the bundle, fiberglass strands such as this are chemically inert, though can cause damage if dust in inhaled, higher quality fiberglass wicks are dust-free and durable, made of thermal glass such as to not melt under the heat of a small flame. A length of braided fiberglass of precisely the right diameter would work splendidly in a cart, but you'll be hard pressed to find the exact size you need as each cart varies.

My second idea is polyester based. I understand that polyfill is popular but even high quality fiberfill is not very good as a wick. Most modern sports or workout clothing is designed from microfiber polyester and polayamide weaves and has excellent wicking properties. In clothing this is used to draw moisture (sweat) away from the skin, though this is counter productive (sweat evaporates on the skin to cool the body, the same way that an air conditioner evaporates freon or other liquid to cool air). Nonetheless, woven microfiber would be my first choice (microfiber is made from extremely small polyester fibers). The type of weave will further improve the wicking abilities. I'll need to perform tests to see if the microfiber locks the moisture too well for the atomizer to be able to pull the moisture out of the fibers (shouldn't be a problem, I suspect).

Close up of a single microfiber thread, the star shaped core is polyester, the wedges are polyamide (a type of nylon):
630_19.jpg

Here's some more info on microfiber taken from an article on the web:
Microfiber is a continuous filament fiber, which is actually a combination of two fibers: polyester and polyamide (a nylon byproduct). The interlocking composition of the two fibers is what makes microfiber so unique and adept at attracting dirt. Polyester and polyamide are woven together to form a pie-shaped pattern, as seen in this 1,000 times magnified photo above.
A very specific manufacturing process gives microfiber its signature shape, as David Goldberg, vice president of operations of Leading Edge Products, explains. “The two fibers are squeezed together, then pushed out through a star-shaped nozzle,” he says. “The fibers are then treated mechanically and/or chemically with heat and pressure. This action causes the two substances to separate due to differences in surface tension.”
This structure creates the small sharp edges, gullies and grooves ideal for cleaning, for moisture capillary action and retention of particles.
Basically on a very tiny scale this star and wedge design creates lots of surface area and little channels by which liqui naturally is pulled up, as the atomizer "drinks" liquid at the top, the liquid will naturall move up to fill in the missing liquid, the very definition of a wick.

It'll be a while until I can start experimenting. Any of you who want to try out various microfiber products please post your results here. I'm going to see if I can get in touch with some microfiber manufacturers to see about getting bundles of microfiber thread (imagine a bundle of firewood), that way all the wicking channels are parallel, I may also ask about braided microfiber rope, as I've been unable to locate braided microfiber anywhere on the net.

Last edited:

Mach10X

ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah, I was going to try that, but I was going to start with one of the "dreadlocks" off of one of these types of Microfiber Carwash Mitts:
micro-fiber-car-wash-mitt-d.jpg

Or even a microfiber "rope" from a microfiber mop:
string_mop.jpg

My thinking was that the braided material would be a great density to start with. Just cutting a square from a trainer microfiber shirt may be a waste of a shirt (unless the shirt is unwearable as is). I may just go to WalMart (or other super Department Store) and get an assortment of kitchen microfiber towels (waffle weave towel is interesting) as well as various types of microfiber (mf) towels from the automotive section (wooly mf, polish/finish mf).

Last edited:

chad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2009
NY, USA
cybervapor.com
...fiberglass strands such as this are chemically inert, though can cause damage if dust in inhaled, higher quality fiberglass wicks are dust-free and durable, made of thermal glass such as to not melt under the heat of a small flame.

Now I think this would be a very cool "advance" in e-cigs. I've always felt weird about the fiberfill in carts. I have this back of the mind worry that I might overheat my atty on a manual PV someday and melt the poly ever-so-slightly. I have no desire to "smoke" that stuff. The fiberglass would not only wick better but also not degrade.

I've thought about using hemp sliver or hemp rope in my carts. What do you think about the wicking action of those substances. Organic hemp as cart filler just sounds like a good idea (natural and all) but I'm not sure how well it would work.

200.jpg

Mach10X

ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2009
Hemp was another one of the substances I was thinking of, properly prepared hemp "wool" is quite absorbent, most of the fibers in hemp and other plants are used in the distribution of moisture to the various parts of the plants. Once dried out, however, I'd imagine that a lot of these properties will have diminished. I'm no expert on plant fibers, so I'll have to do some reading. If you want to experiment at home what you can do to compare various matrials is to set up some tests with measurable results.

Ok I stopped a minute there to think up a quick experiment that will yield some usable data, I'll be using the word weight instead of mass to make things easier to follow:

SAFETY NOTE: Handling nicotine liquids can be dangerous, regardless of nicotine concentration. Please be mindful of pets, children, and other adults, clean up after yourself when done! Consider wearing surgical gloves. Wash off any e-liquid that comes into contact with your skin immediately.

Materials: Empty (cleaned) e-cartridge, low nicotine e-juice, electronic/jewelers scale, materials to test.

Procedure:

1. Weigh an empty cartridge
2. measure out similar amounts of filler material into a cartridge (cleaned) to a density you feel would hold liquid well and simulates the density original batting.
3. Weigh the loaded cartridge (dry) and calculate the weight of the filler you used.
4. Add drops of liquid until fully loaded with liquid, tap cartridge to shake off any excess liquid. (use low nicotine or NO nicotine e-juice to prevent dosing yourself with large amounts of nicotine!)
5. Measure the weight of the juiced cartridge, subtract to find the weight of just the liquid. Divide the "liquid only" weight by the weight of the "filler only" weight to determine grams (or oz) of liquid absorbed per gram of filler.
6. Smoke the device until the cart runs dry, may want to consider mouthing smoke rather than inhaling.
7. Measure the weight of the "dry" cartridge with spent filler material, calculate the weight of the liquid remaining (total weight minus cart and filler *dry* weight). This will tell you how much liquid is still trapped in the filler but unable to pulled from it by the atomizer. Take this "trapped liquid" weight and divide by weight of the total liquid you began with (step 5). This will give you a decimal answer such as .35 which would equal 35% or 35% trapped liquid. That's the amount of liquid the filler traps and will not let go of to the atomizer. A lower number is good here.

This should roughly tell you how much USABLE liquid you can vape off of that cartridge, considering that there will inevitably be some liquid left that the vaporizer can't pull out refilling the cart will take less liquid than the initial fill.

The main values we get from this experiment are the filler weight to liquid weight ratio, and mainly the USABLE liquid value, ie the weight of liquid the vaporizer can pull out of the filler. A higher value will mean more smoking time, or in some cases some materials will give up liquid more easily and result in more vapor per puff. Some absorbent materials "TRAP" moisture rather than "WICK" moisture. A tampon, then, would make a poor wick.

Also take note of any problems or other observations such as liquid coming out of the mouth piece, etc.

Let me know what you think!

Last edited:

ccure

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Colombia, South America
Alrighty, I have my stuff...I've been vaping happily now for a few days....lots of flavors...the original batting in my carts seems like it will be out of commission within a month...maybe even a couple of weeks before it needs replacing. I'll be experimenting soon. Anyone else interested please PM me or post results here.

Would you post your results soon? I would like to see them. I am waiting for some fiberglass membranes myself and would be trying them as filler material.

Safira

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2009
Plainfield,IL
Funny you should mention candle wicks because I keep thinking about those too. They do make some out of hemp, but I just keep wondering if the way the fibers are braided would help with the wicking action of the juice. The braiding helps with the flame and wick the fuel to the fire, I just wonder if it would be a better core to wick the juice to the atty.

It's just something I've always wondered if braiding the fibers a certain way would make a better material.

Mach10X

ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2009
Would you post your results soon? I would like to see them. I am waiting for some fiberglass membranes myself and would be trying them as filler material.

Well since I've generated some interest, I'll head down to Wally World on Thursday night (July 30) and pick up some fiberglass wicks and various microfiber cloths (had to replace a stolen iPhone so no money until then!). I'll need to see about ordering some microfiber string/rope however, that may take a while.

Mach10X

ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2009
So, I tried out the glass polishing microfiber cloth with a tight diamond weave and smooth finish. It worked great for a while but I got a slightly funny taste a bit later. Used in a Joye 510 cart, liquid retention and wicking action was excellent. Still have to do some more testing with packing method (rolled like the teabag mod seems best). Getting braided fiberglass wick tonight.

*EDIT* funny taste was french pipe. I had forgotten I did I blend of vanilla and french pipe, rather than RY4 or RY4+Vanilla like I usually vape. Funny taste is verified as french pipe liquid (from healthcabin). I just wasn't used to the flavor, flavor is not chemically at all, it just seemed off as I was expecting standard RY4.

Since microfiber glass polishing cloth looks like a winner to me, here's some more info. So far no sign of burning or scorching...the material remains very moist even after a couple hours of vaping. Material is packed exactly like the teabag filler mod and I've been using the very thin glass polish cloth as seen below:
casabella-microfiber-glass-cloth-2-pack.jpg

My cloth is a darker blue than this image...I'll be on the lookout for un-colored (white) cloths like this as I (and I'm sure many of you) don't like the idea of wicking liquid through a dyed cloth.

Last edited:

Mach10X

ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2009
Hmmm, bad news. I took out the cloth and dried it out with a paper towel to absorb the liquid away and repacked it to the cart with my familiar RY4 liquid. I'm still getting the unfamiliar taste, it's coming from the fabric. I'll post later with my results of the fiberglass. Eventually I'll get some plain, unprocessed microfiber material and give that a try...it's to bad they don't make microfiber "fiberfill", that would be awesome!

YoGuRt99

Jul 10, 2009
Hmmm, bad news. I took out the cloth and dried it out with a paper towel to absorb the liquid away and repacked it to the cart with my familiar RY4 liquid. I'm still getting the unfamiliar taste, it's coming from the fabric. I'll post later with my results of the fiberglass. Eventually I'll get some plain, unprocessed microfiber material and give that a try...it's to bad they don't make microfiber "fiberfill", that would be awesome!

Might wanna give a Eye Dr a call. I recieved a white micro fiber to clean my glasses with that was white.

Mach10X

ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2009
Great thread, Mach! My only concern is the heat of the atomizer. After a hard-learned lesson in my childhood with a polyester jogging jacket and an iron-on patch melting said jacket, the idea of a polyester core and a 260-degree C attie arch makes me think "Ew". :p Is this a concern with microfiber?

Polyester is what is in our carts already, the material is just 100% polyester fiberfill.

The funny taste is probably because I used an old microfiber cloth (kept at my desk to polish this 2 inch tungsten carbide ball)
41E6QVK0R4L._AA280_.jpg

The cloth is barely used but it's been around a while sitting on my desk, mainly as a resting pad to set the ball on. The ball itself wouldn't have leeched any metal particles since it's basically a ceramic, but I'm sure the cloth has picked up dust here and there...I simply cut out a corner section from it that seemed perfectly clean. This was just me being curious at my desk between calls and was going to be replaced by a clean cloth.

@Robert
I believe those Lipton Pyramid tea bags are made out of nylon, which is a component of the microfiber itself. I have some lipton pyramids in my cupboard and will try the mod.

Unfortunately my WalMart stopped carrying the Sterno liquid candles so I had no way to pickup the fiberglass wick. I love those liquied candles and have been wanting a nice one for a while, my direct deposit should be coming this morning when the bank opens so I can order this and a couple extra wicks for experimentation.

Oh a question. Since the cloth is rolled up teabag style I don't think there's a chance that the material is actually capable of coming into contact with the atomizer is it? I'm fairly new to vaping and still haven't figured out which part of the atomizer actually gets hot...I'm fairly certain that the spongy metal V thing is just to soak up liquid and that the actual heating element is behind it, right? Can someone clarify this for me please? If I had a dead atty, I'd just take it apart and see how it worked but I expect these attys will last quite a while as I treat them rather well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread