Status
Not open for further replies.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
Yeah, I can't imagine using even a 3mm coil in, for example, a KFL19.

Speaking of the KFL19, I had to rewick it again this morning--the third time in four days--and the wick was scorched by the afternoon. I had high hopes for it, too, since I tried trimming half the wick away by cutting from the end of the tail to the coil at a 45 degree angle, instead of teasing the wick in half with a pin and cutting off the top half close to the coil. The wick seem just right in the coil, squeaking but movable with a bit of force. I think perhaps I cut the tails too short, though, overcompensating for having left them too long the last time, so not enough juice was reaching the coil and it scorched. Just now, I rewicked exactly the same way but left the tails longer. Let's see how long this one lasts. It's been great for the last forty-five minutes, anyway.

Seiggy

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2012
Irwin, Pennsylvania
@Zazie, I went back thru the posts and I didn't see what mod you were running. I'm just spit balling this but is it possible you have pre-heat enabled and set to a high wattage/duration if your using a regulated mod ? I'm at a loss, as you are as to why Rayon is giving you such a hard time and cotton isn't. It's usually the reverse, cotton will darken or burn before Rayon IIRC.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
Nope, no preheat. Or, even if I'd done so inadvertently (which I'm sure I did not), I doubt if I'd've made the mistake on all six mods in the current rotation (Aegis Solo, JAC Vapour Sandstorm, Dani Mini, ProVari 2.5, ProVari Mini, and Innokin Kroma-A), some of which don't even have the feature.

I just hope that, if I ever hit on a solution, I can replicate it. My fear is that I'll finally get it right and have no idea what I did.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I don't think coils that big would fit in any of my RTAs, except maybe the Ammit, which I used briefly but then set aside for some reason.
4mm ID coils in a MTL tank?. :eek:
I use dual 4mm 22ga in my Aromamizer Plus and they take a rope and a half of Sally's to wick each one...

The more stuffing is what I was trying to get to. I thought maybe having more of a cushion would help to stop the burning. Did not realize you were using such old equipment. Seems like there is better and improved rta's out there that aren't so fiddely.

jmo

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
There may well be, but I have what I have.

I've tried rayon in the KFL19, Dvarw MTL, Gate, Precisio, and KFL+. Would any of the following be better suited, do you think?

Ataman v2
Ataman v4
B*stard
Brunhilde MTL
BSKR v1.5 Mini
BY-ka V8
EVL Reaper clone
Expromizer V4
Galaxies MTL RTA
Glaz
GT3
Hastur
Kayfun 4
Kayfun 5
Kayfun Prime
Orchid
Phantom
Project X
Project X MTL
Siren 2
Skyline
Tripod
True
Wine

• Informative
Reactions: BillW50

GREEN ZOMBIE

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Calgary AB
I like my old tanks too, right now I'm using The Russian 91% with peach tea in it, coil is a 28g 316L 2.5 ID with cotton, But, I've used rayon before, had some issues with it burning as well, untill I noticed it shrinks alot when wet, I would always wick it, wet it, compress it with something inside the coil to make a space and add more wick, I stopped using it though, IMO I think it messed with my flavors and didn't last all that much longer than cotton.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
But these cotton pads are garbage.

I understand that this is a rayon thread so I won't elaborate, but I strongly disagree with that statement. Personal preference, like with everything else. I can taste rayon--even Tidi rayon. Then it goes away, just like the cotton taste goes away after a while.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
For me, rayon breaks in faster and co'tton seems to muffle flavor. I neither expect nor require others to share this opinion. Because that would be crazy.

For me, it's a matter of convenience. It really depends on your vaping style. If you use sturdy, large-diameter coils, high wattage and need quick and efficient wicking, rayon is a better choice.

For me, MTL, 2.5 mm ID, 28g coils, low wattage, low wicking-speed requirements, the hassle of trying to stuff enough rayon into such a small coil without distorting it is just not worth it--most of the time. Cotton is so much easier and always reliable--and I haven't burned a wick in my last 10 years of vaping or so. ;) Taste is not an issue for me, maybe I'm not too picky or maybe I'm used to it.

Just my :2c:

Carry on. :)

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
For me, it's a matter of convenience. It really depends on your vaping style. If you use sturdy, large-diameter coils, high wattage and need quick and efficient wicking, rayon is a better choice.

For me, MTL, 2.5 mm ID, 28g coils, low wattage, low wicking-speed requirements, the hassle of trying to stuff enough rayon into such a small coil without distorting it is just not worth it--most of the time. Cotton is so much easier and always reliable--and I haven't burned a wick in my last 10 years of vaping or so. ;) Taste is not an issue for me, maybe I'm not too picky or maybe I'm used to it.

Just my :2c:

Carry on. :)
Believe you me, I wish I didn't like rayon so much more than cotton. I, too, use 2.5mm coils, and wicking was way less of a pain when I was using cotton. But, damn my eyes, I went and tried rayon, and, even with my early struggles with it, I knew right away that I liked it better. Sometimes I wish I'd never heard of it. Life was simpler in the olden days.

• Love
Reactions: Katya

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Believe you me, I wish I didn't like rayon so much more than cotton. I, too, use 2.5mm coils, and wicking was way less of a pain when I was using cotton. But, damn my eyes, I went and tried rayon, and, even with my early struggles with it, I knew right away that I liked it better. Sometimes I wish I'd never heard of it. Life was simpler in the olden days.

Now you made me wanna revisit rayon. :lol: :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread