Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I still think that, ignoring any possible health issues associated with silica, the flavor with silica wick was better than either cotton and rayon. Of course, that's really hard to "measure" accurately without identical mods and attys and juices...if then.

Just FYI--there is absolutely no risk whatsoever associated with using silica rope--the safe silica.

This is my old post on the subject. TMI? :D

There are two kinds of silica--amorphous and crystalline. The amorphous silica, used initially in cigalikes, is perfectly safe and OK to be used as a wick. The dangerous kind is the crystalline silica--the kind that causes silicosis.

The discussion about safe and unsafe silica started after Aspire introduced a mystery "ceramic paper" wick (ca 2014) that crumbled to dust when touched (Busardo showed it in his video). There was a suspicion that those tiny, respirable fiberglass particles (under 5µ) could get into our lungs. This chart made by @Boden shows the size of amorphous silica fiber used in silica rope (22-32µ)--the safe kind--in comparison to the unsafe, crystalline silica fibers.

micron-size-comparison-jpg.183440

http://srs.unm.edu/industrial-hygiene/media/docs/silica.pdf (sorry, the link doesn't work anymore, I'm copying and pasting from my old posts :blush:)

"Amorphous Silica: Multiple studies have found amorphous silica to be biologically inert when ingested and inhaled, with the exception of extruded fiberglass and ceramic fibers (which have been designated as carcinogens by the National Toxicology Program), which are hazardous due to their very small size and their high length to width aspect ratio. Because of this inertness, the US Food and Drug Administration permits the use of amorphous silica (not fiberglass or ceramic fibers!) in food and medicine. "

Warning: My Aspire Atlantis coil just FELL APART while I was vaping, and particles got lodged in my throat.

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
Thanks @Katya
Good to know.
I haven't used my silica rope since I put my byLeo Sofia's away into storage.
They were a pain to rebuild and byLeo gave up the business so couldn't find the parts.
So, does anyone use the silica rope anymore, and if so with what atty

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
Thanks @Katya
Good to know.
I haven't used my silica rope since I put my byLeo Sofia's away into storage.
They were a pain to rebuild and byLeo gave up the business so couldn't find the parts.
So, does anyone use the silica rope anymore, and if so with what atty
I'm going to try it in my Berserkers. V1 and V2 tanks. Soon... I'm still messing with my exotic cotton material.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I'm going to try it in my Berserkers.

Oh dear. I remember trying to wrap a piece of 30g Kanthal wire around a 2mm diameter silica rope wick for my first Kayfun. I had to stick a pin in the wick to make it sturdier. :facepalm: What a pain. It wasn't pretty. :lol: Which is why we all eventually switched to cotton and rayon. But if someone offered that same (silica rope) fiber loose (like cotton pads or rayon strands), I'd be all over it.

Or maybe we could untwist that rope? Hmmm...

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
Oh dear. I remember trying to wrap a piece of 30g Kanthal wire around a 2mm diameter silica rope wick for my first Kayfun. I had to stick a pin in the wick to make it sturdier. :facepalm: What a pain. It wasn't pretty. :lol: Which is why we all eventually switched to cotton and rayon. But if someone offered that same (silica rope) fiber loose (like cotton pads or rayon strands), I'd be all over it.

Or maybe we could untwist that rope? Hmmm...

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
I remember taking 3 pieces of 2mm silica and wrapping them 6/7 times with 30g kanthol for my kayfuns. It lasted forever... Simple dry burn every so often and it lasted months. But that was with store bought tobacco liquids. My diy liquids gunk up too fast. I wonder how they will work now.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
The discussion about safe and unsafe silica started after Aspire introduced a mystery "ceramic paper" wick (ca 2014) that crumbled to dust when touched (Busardo showed it in his video). There was a suspicion that those tiny, respirable fiberglass particles (under 5µ) could get into our lungs.

Yes, I recall Busardo talking about this and I sworn off Nautilus coils ever since. I still have a few packs of them.

Aspire Support: •View topic - Aspire official statement on Atlantis coils material

Last edited:

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
Boden, I miss that guy round these parts. I still have quite a bit of his BD13 Sintered Aluminum (Al2O3) wicks.
ewoi2A9l.jpg

A mesh build in a genny was still the best for flavor IMHO.
OuoOycyh.jpg

I preferred hollow Ekowool with ribbon wire over silica rope.
5zQrPpwh.jpg
He gave me some too... I still have a few left. I bought blocks of this material back then when I was really into experimenting with them.

Rolling mesh was fun too.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Boden, I miss that guy round these parts. I still have quite a bit of his BD13 Sintered Aluminum (Al2O3) wicks.
ewoi2A9l.jpg

A mesh build in a genny was still the best for flavor IMHO.
OuoOycyh.jpg

I preferred hollow Ekowool with ribbon wire over silica rope.
5zQrPpwh.jpg
I never had any of Boden's ceramic wicks but I do remember making my own ... 1st with fish filter stones then the white ceramic stone.

Fish Stone
IMG_1023.jpeg

White Ceramic Stone
IMG_1459.jpeg

IMG_1328.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread