Mod/Batteries Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
We don’t have vape shops where I live, only smoke shops and they know nothing.
Might be wise to purchase a new mod, new batteries, and perhaps a different tank, too. Waiting for vape mail to arrive while using a potentually dangerous mod and/or batteries may put you at risk for bodily harm or property damage.

Just buying new batteries won't do much good if your mod is wonky. Buying just a new mod won't do much good if your batteries suck.

Not trying to tell you how to spend your money. I just want you to be safe.

Last edited:

Kittyntwinstarz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2018
California, USA
Try a lil experiment. Assuming the screen battery icons are fixed to individual battery locations, swap them inside the mod and see if the weak cell icon changes position. If so, you have a bad battery. If not, then it's either not linked to the individual battery position and there may be some bad wiring or a bad chip inside. If that is what happens, get a new mod. If the first happens get a new pair of batteries and throw the weak one out.

So on batteries set A & B yes the weak one changed positions so clearly it is bad. Set C is fully charged and charge is reducing at the same rate so far but faster than normal and the taste is horrible.

Kittyntwinstarz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2018
California, USA
No, the authenticity sticker is meaningless.

Seems you're missing what some folks are trying to stress, batteries getting hot is a warning sign, stop using the ones getting hot.
Unstable cells can become dangerous in the blink of an eye.

Only use authentic name brand cells bought from known reputable vendors, several links to Mooch's blog, test, recommendations and sources have been provided.

No one can say with any certainty if your power device is at fault or your replacement heads(coils) are the cause or if it is all caused by the suspicious quality cells you're using.

First step would be to buy quality authentic name brand cells, if the problem persists then try known authentic replacement heads, if it still is all funky then buy a new power device.

Buying a new power device isn't going to help if it is your batteries, or counterfeit heads / coils causing the problem.

One thing is certain, the batteries you are using are re wrap cells of unknown/suspicious quality.
Makes no sense at all to buy a new power device and use older/used re wrap cells.

Thank you. I am not missing anything I was just doing the other tests I was asked. I will buy new batteries.

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2018
Cumbria
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Batteries heating up is a warning sign, one not to be ignored.

Couldn't agree more with @Topwater Elvis , batteries can get warm but anything past that is not good news. You need to eliminate what is causing the problem, it could even be a combination of factors.

Going from 6 hours to 30 minutes lifetime plus the excess heat tells me something, somewhere is drawing far too much current than is healthy, especially with replacement batteries. If the mod or tank is faulty, you could also have inadvertently damaged the new batteries, leading to them getting hotter under load and confusing things further.

I'd put another tank on your mod that you know is fine with a similar resistance and works OK, and see if the battery life / heating issue still exists. If it does, it strongly suggests the mod is mainly at fault. Ideally, I'd also check the resistance of the coil off the mod if possible just to eliminate it from the equation.

I'd also be wary of these new batteries until proven otherwise. Give them a charge, check and see if they get hot and what life you get out of them in a mod/tank combo you know works. If they don't perform well, I'd consider them end of life.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I go through about 8ml in an hour but do not vape every hour or for an hour. I usually have 10 min sessions. Every 2 hrs. I do not have a different mod but this is 2 tanks with same issue.

Wait so if I am understanding this right, you are going through 8ml in 10 MINUTES, and do that every 2 hours? I don't even understand how 8 ml in 10 min is possible. I use about 10 ml per DAY and that is damn near constant vaping.

bilboda

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2012
Miami, FL
I'm not stuck on his list. Rob is well known, particularly in the custom mod area. evolv authorized for warranty service, has been around for ages and has been active here, I have a dna 75c box of his just waiting for my lazy .... to put together. Mooch ain't steering anyone wrong. He just doesn't know everyplace to go to. No reason to knock protovapor just because you don't know them or they aren't on mooch's list.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Wait so if I am understanding this right, you are going through 8ml in 10 MINUTES, and do that every 2 hours? I don't even understand how 8 ml in 10 min is possible. I use about 10 ml per DAY and that is damn near constant vaping.
At high wattage it is possible. She's vaping on a Smok atty.

Kittyntwinstarz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2018
California, USA

It’s definitely possibly. The prince tank is a juice hog if I have a 10-20 min session with a full 8ml tank I will fill it twice from halfway point which is about 4ml each time. I go through a 100 ml bottle in less than a week.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The prince tank is a juice hog if I have a 10-20 min session with a full 8ml tank I will fill it twice from halfway point which is about 4ml each time. I go through a 100 ml bottle in less than a week.
I have to say that's the most juice consumption I've ever heard of. (Not that there is anything wrong with that). ;)

If you are using commercially prepared juice, you should learn how to DIY to save on costs. What is your favorite flavor?

Kittyntwinstarz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2018
California, USA
I have to say that's the most juice consumption I've ever heard of. (Not that there is anything wrong with that). ;)

If you are using commercially prepared juice, you need to learn how to DIY.

I have run other tanks and not had an issue. All of my smok tanks are juice hogs.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Please don't vape it that sounds Iike a mod that could blow up any second and I'd say that about ANY mod behaving that way.

And, if it's the batteries, not the mod, well THEY are what would actually like BLOW up. Halt the experiments PLEASE!!!!

If an ECF person blew up I would feel just dreadful. Don't let the curiosity of science push you further!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anna

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
That's crazy. Most tanks only hold 3-4ml so two tank fulls in 10 min is astounding to me. Then again I only vape .5 ohm single coil round wire at about 30watts and 435F.
You should get out more... ;)

I remember when the Sense Cyclone hit the shop a few years ago, a 5ML RTA you could drain in six drags and that that was back then... T12 coils for the TFV12 tank operate anywhere between 60-350W with a recommended range of 130-200W.

People do vape other things than Kayfuns. :lol:

Reactions: dwcraig1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread