Modded out Provari

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotoriousJoe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Warner robins ga
How'd the top cap come off? Is it a press fit? I've got one of those DIY camo dipping kits, might do some messing around after newness of Provari wears off.

Yeah the top cap is press fitted. Super east to get off just look down the tube and you can see the top cap , I used a screw drive to stick down the tube and tapped it a few times with a rubber mallet, then switched to the other side of the cap and tapped it a few times, repeat until its off. Be careful that your screw driver or whatever you use isnt touch up against the circuit board, there are small smd's that you could easily break off.

NotoriousJoe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Warner robins ga
Great job mate. Just what i was searching. Thanks for the info. If you could share how to take apart the rest, it would be awesome. I guess the two screws hold the plastic and then the whole thing comes off?

Sorry its taken me so long to reply. The 2 screws do nothing but hold the window in. Once you get your top cap off its smooth sailing from there. Depending on if its a v1 or a v2 , Ifs its a v1 the board should just slide out with the top cap, if its a V2 you have to be a little more careful when pulling because you will have to remove some hot glue / epoxy that holds the board in place from moving.

Edit: On a side note, im not trying to bash or accuse Provape at all, (love you guys) But the mini is supposed to be a V2 with spring loaded connections on the top cap for power and ground, well my regular V1 died , got dropped in water and wasnt repairable, So that being said the battery life on the 18350/450? cant remeber which the mini takes wasnt holding me over enough and i like the bigger battery. Yes I know i could have ordered an extension cap , but wheres the fun in that?

Anyways back to my story, so im taking apart my mini Provari and notice that there is no spring loaded pins that it was supposed to have that currently replace the power and ground wire. Leads me to believe that not all Provari mini's are V2's , which from what I have heard and read ALL mini Provari's are supposed to me V2's........... Maybe they just hadn't put those new boards in the first batches of mini's , im not sure , but it does make me a little curious......

Last edited:

NotoriousJoe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Warner robins ga
Is that army green? The color looks great! I also loved the video, had me hooked...had to see the finished mod!

That indeed is satin army OD Green with satin black top and bottom caps, powered coated.
This all started when this was originally the black chrome Provari, which after a little pocket use and daily use its got all scuffed up and faded, I,ve had this one for a while now, Its feel from the roof of my car, everyday pocket use with keys and loose change and I gotta say powder coating is some strong stuff! There is not one mark on this baby.

And the only reason I bring this up is because I always have a lot of people asking me about the powder coating and how durable it is, I see provape is coming out with ceramic coated provari's now :glare:

NotoriousJoe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Warner robins ga
Also , Sorry for all the post and edits, BUT , If you do take apart your Provari and want the top cap powder coated or just painted or whatever you wanna do to it do this!-

Depending on if it has the spring loaded power and ground post, which I have not encountered so I cannot comment on that, but if it has the wires and not the post, it will be 2 blue wires, DO NOT desolder the power wire (that goes to the center pin on the cap) , desolder it from the board, once its desoldered off the board you can actually push the center pin and sleeve out, which you would wanna do anyways if you plan on powder coating because they cook it in an oven and you dont want your plastic sleeve that holds the center pin in snugg to get melted or deformed.

You can and have to desolder the ground wire from the top cap , which isnt a big deal because its easy to solder back onto it, but the center pin is a PITA if you desolder it from the top cap

Last edited:

NotoriousJoe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Warner robins ga
OK so indeed i managed to take everything apart! But one question. How did you change the led color? I too have red led and i would like to change at least the button. You made it orange and it looks fantastic.
Won't even bother asking for the led screen though :p

Basically you want to order some 0603 SMD LED's. Why I say some is because more than likely you won't get it on the first shot. I've been repairing Xboxs for 6 years and I get a lot of people who want their LEDS changed to a different color and still to this day it's rare that I get them all soldered on - on the first shot.

Not because I can't solder , but because these things are tiny and I mean as in the tip of a ball point pen. One wrong touch or too much heat and the SMD will be fried. Now I'm not trying to make this sound complicated because it's really not. The reason I use the SMD's compared to others is because one they are smaller so they take up less room, two they are just as bright as provapes SMD , which are bigger than a 0603 and three they use less power and you get the same brightness :)

Reactions: IBEVAPIN'

NotoriousJoe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Warner robins ga
What the heck is going on in here? People taking apart Provari's? :ohmy:

You guys have some big brass... or lots of moolah!

Well mine had originally died due to it getting dropped in water. So I replaced the insides of it with a mini.

Just trying to show everyone if they did wanna do something to their Provari it's really not that hard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread