Modern Mods and Mod Kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stew1957

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2020
South Africa
A general question for your opinion please. Modern mods and mod Kits of all the different brands, are they all much the same regarding quality and reliability "Toyotas and VW's" and should one therefore shop by price and obviously cosmetics you prefer or is it worth paying a premium on some because they are Rolls Royce's and will last for longer (If you don't crash them.)?

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
The quick way to estimate whether newer mods are better than older ones is with a teardown by someon3 with the experience to judge the build and electronics. May be someone is doing that on youtube. The way to do that with atomizers is try them. People find ways to make a lot of things work. My favorite atomizer by far is an RDA I could buy for $7 each, long out of production.

Last edited:

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
A general question for your opinion please. Modern Mods and Mod Kits of all the different brands, are they all much the same regarding quality and reliability "Toyotas and VW's" and should one therefore shop by price and obviously cosmetics you prefer or is it worth paying a premium on some because they are Rolls Royce's and will last for longer (If you don't crash them.)?
Quality and reliability do have some relationship to price. For quality, the Evolv DNA and Dicodes based devices are widely considered premium choices at a premium price. Some of the inexpensive devices focus on durability, such as the Geekvape Aegis series, potentially improving their longevity. I think some inexpensive vendors focus on quality more than others but that can change over time and from model to model.

Whether it's water resistance or ruggedness, finding a good fit and researching known problems should work. The newest models of most mass marketed devices are the ones that reliability will be unknown for some time, so buying a bit behind the first adopters can be very informative. Good luck!

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
It's the same the world over, you get what you pay for !. Though as far as mods are concerned between £40 - £60 would get you a reasonably decent one. I personally go for high end Atomizers rather than high end mods because they matter to me a lot more than the mod does. How well an atomizer performs doesn't really depend on the quality of the mod it's connected to, unless TC is being used but that's a whole other story . Aesthetics matter to some though, so it's probably more down to that than anything else.

Oberon75

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2014
Roseville, Mi, USA
This mod and RDA is about $300 combined and worth every penny.
dfd1267527247944422e74e0b23ae2b2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
View attachment 902935

Reactions: Stew1957

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
In my experience the cost has very little to do with how well a device performs and lasts unless you are looking at high-end stuff (probably not Chinese). A device that sells for $80 today may well be available for $20 in six months - that should tell you that quality isn't the number one driver - it's popularity and the illusion of 'the next best thing'. Sadly quality control is not high on the list of most Asian manufacturers of vaping devices.
Reviews on forums will give you a good idea of which mods stand the test of time.
Sometimes one manufacturer will produce a device that is excellent followed by another which is awful (i'm looking at you Joyetech, Kanger, Wismech, EHPro etc) so you can't even choose based on previous output...Reviews by 'professional' reviewers can be largely ignored because they tend to focus on the 'out of the box' aspect - they rarely (if ever) do a follow up 6 months down the line after extensive use.

If you are after a device that is considered throw-away (as most cheaper devices should be) then they all pretty much do the same thing - regulate voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread