Modifying a commercial ejuice to suit your tastes

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR789

Mar 7, 2022
Anyone ever get an ejuice they didn't really like and add a little diy tweak?

I saw great reviews on Naked 100 POG. Sounded good in theory... pomegranate, orange and guava.

Can't stand it! Very acidic and not sweet at all

I separated off 10ml and added some FA banana and sweetener. That took the edge off but needed something else. So I added some FA Fuji apple and it is actually enjoyable now.

So I guess two things. One, does anyone else modify commercial juice? And two, any suggestions on what may go well with POG?

Thanks

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
That's how I decided if I wanted to get into mixing. For several years now all my juice is diy. Personally I don't enjoy actually mixing but the benefits of tailoring my juice flavors and base liquids far outweigh the tedium of mixing. You may be one of the those that enjoy actually mixing as well as recipe development.

JR789

Mar 7, 2022
That's how I decided if I wanted to get into mixing. For several years now all my juice is diy. Personally I don't enjoy actually mixing but the benefits of tailoring my juice flavors and base liquids far outweigh the tedium of mixing. You may be one of the those that enjoy actually mixing as well as recipe development.

Cool. I figured some of mixing would include this out of necessity.
I do enjoy diy. Just starting out. Got about 10 or 12 flavours and keeping it simple with maybe 2 flavour combo recipes for now. I like that my juice isn't cloying with sweetener like some commercial stuff. I bought a scale off Amazon right away after watching some videos. It's so easy to mix by weight. If I mixed by drops I would lose my mind

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Cool. I figured some of mixing would include this out of necessity.
I do enjoy diy. Just starting out. Got about 10 or 12 flavours and keeping it simple with maybe 2 flavour combo recipes for now. I like that my juice isn't cloying with sweetener like some commercial stuff. I bought a scale off Amazon right away after watching some videos. It's so easy to mix by weight. If I mixed by drops I would lose my mind
I started out mixing by volume; didn't take me long to start mixing by weight! ELR is a great site to learn about diy. The forum has friendly helpful posters and the recipe side is great.

JR789

Mar 7, 2022
I started out mixing by volume; didn't take me long to start mixing by weight! ELR is a great site to learn about diy. The forum has friendly helpful posters and the recipe side is great.

Absolutely agree! Tons of info here and great people. Really helpful cheat sheets and beginner's guides for us mixing newbies. Really appreciate all the hard work people have done compiling it

• Agree
Reactions: Letitia

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I saw great reviews on Naked 100 POG. Sounded good in theory... pomegranate, orange and guava.

To tone down the acidic part of it...buy a 10mL bottle of TFA Smooth and add just 1 drop of it...to 10-15mL of your readymade POG and give it a good shake. That should fix it. That one little 10mL bottle of Smooth should last you a long time.

To fix the not sweet part of it, get TFA Sweetener, again a 10mL bottle is fine. Add 1 drop to 10-15mL of your readymade POG, and taste test it. It's likely that 1 drop will do it, but if not, keep doing it, 1 drop at a time, until it hits your desired sweetness level.

Last edited:

JR789

Mar 7, 2022
To tone down the acidic part of it...buy a 10mL bottle of TFA Smooth and add just 1 drop of it...to 10-15mL of your readymade POG and give it a good shake. That should fix it. That one little 10mL bottle of Smooth should last you a long time.

To fix the not sweet part of it, get TFA Sweetener, again a 10mL bottle is fine. Add 1 drop to 10-15mL of your readymade POG, and taste test it. It's likely that 1 drop will do it, but if not, keep doing it 1 drop at a time until it hits your desired sweetness level.

Wow. Cool. You have all the tricks:). I knew about the sweetener but not about the smooth. Good tip. Thanks. I'll put some in my next order.

I noticed a lot of fruit recipes have a cream or custard or vanilla component in many recipes here. I guess that would soften fruits a bit also?

If you use those which would be your must haves that I would add to my small flavour stash? I'm already thinking about my next order,lol Thanks

Reactions: JCinFLA

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
SSA creams and yogurt pair nicely with fruits. Added bonus the SSA line of flavors are strong and usually only need 0.5-2%. There are many ways to give fruit mixes a pop. If you want a purely fruit only mix a couple drops of sweetener and/or a couple drops of FA sour wizard is useful. For added juiciness cactus, WF quince jelly or starfruit, or FA pear work well used low.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Wow. Cool. You have all the tricks:). I knew about the sweetener but not about the smooth. Good tip. Thanks. I'll put some in my next order.

Well, I don't have all the tricks, but since there are so many of them...I don't know anyone who does. :)

I noticed a lot of fruit recipes have a cream or custard or vanilla component in many recipes here. I guess that would soften fruits a bit also?

Yep. A common misconception with most newbies to DIY...is thinking that using only a single fruit flavoring with their PG, VG, and nic base will result in a great tasting eliquid. Those types of flavorings you mentioned above, and/or others [like a cake, a cookie, a cheesecake, a caramel or a chocolate, etc.]..are supporting or secondary flavorings. Some version of them is used in a majority of eliquid recipes.

Also, with fruit flavorings especially, quite a few of them have ethyl alcohol as part of their base. For many people, that results in some harshness to the flavoring. It's pretty common to let the eliquid that you make using them... "breathe" for awhile before you vape it. Shaking the bottle well and then leaving the tip and cap off for an hour or so, will allow the ethyl alcohol to evaporate off = reducing and/or getting rid of the harshness.

If you use those which would be your must haves that I would add to my small flavour stash? I'm already thinking about my next order,lol Thanks

For creams, I like TFA Sweet Cream, TFA Bavarian Cream, TFA Whipped Cream, and FA Cream Fresh the most. As far as custard, I prefer TFA Vanilla Custard. Vanilla favorites for me are TFA French Vanilla Creme, TFA Vanilla Swirl, TFA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, CAP Simply Vanilla, and Tahitian Vanilla Cream by WF which is Wonder Flavours.

But...you could ask other people what their favorites are...and get totally different ones. There are NO "best" flavorings to get, that would be favorites of everyone. ;) You'll find your own favorites as you go along and try different ones.

Last edited:

JR789

Mar 7, 2022
SSA creams and yogurt pair nicely with fruits. Added bonus the SSA line of flavors are strong and usually only need 0.5-2%. There are many ways to give fruit mixes a pop. If you want a purely fruit only mix a couple drops of sweetener and/or a couple drops of FA sour wizard is useful. For added juiciness cactus, WF quince jelly or starfruit, or FA pear work well used low.
Those sounds like really nice combinations!

Reactions: Letitia

JR789

Mar 7, 2022
Well, I don't have all the tricks, but since there are so many of them...I don't know anyone who does. :)

Yep. A common misconception with most newbies to DIY...is thinking that using only a single fruit flavoring with their PG, VG, and nic base will result in a great tasting eliquid. Those types of flavorings you mentioned above, and/or others [like a cake, a cookie, a cheesecake, a caramel or a chocolate, etc.]..are supporting or secondary flavorings. Some version of them is used in a majority of eliquid recipes.

Also, with fruit flavorings especially, quite a few of them have ethyl alcohol as part of their base. For many people, that results in some harshness to the flavoring. It's pretty common to let the eliquid that you make using them... "breathe" for awhile before you vape it. Shaking the bottle well and then leaving the tip and cap off for an hour or so, will allow the ethyl alcohol to evaporate off = reducing and/or getting rid of the harshness.

For creams, I like TFA Sweet Cream, TFA Bavarian Cream, TFA Whipped Cream, and FA Cream Fresh the most. As far as custard, I prefer TFA Vanilla Custard. Vanilla favorites for me are TFA French Vanilla Creme, TFA Vanilla Swirl, TFA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, CAP Simply Vanilla, and Tahitian Vanilla Cream by WF which is Wonder Flavours.

But...you could ask other people what their favorites are...and get totally different ones. There are NO "best" flavorings to get, that would be favorites of everyone. ;) You'll find your own favorites as you go along and try different ones.

Great. I'll definitely add probably 3 or 4 of those to my list. I got a cheesecake and a yogurt but even those feel like they need some support. A lot of the recipes boost them with ones you mentioned or even marshmallow I guess to round them out.

Reactions: JCinFLA

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA

I separated off 10ml and added some FA banana and sweetener. That took the edge off but needed something else. So I added some FA Fuji apple and it is actually enjoyable now.

So I guess two things. One, does anyone else modify commercial juice? And two, any suggestions on what may go well with POG?

Thanks
I do modify juice in two major categories if it's not sweet enough I add sweetener and if it's zero nicotine I add my 1.5 mg per milliliter if I desire that juice to have nicotine or feel it tastes better with nicotine. I actually prefer to buy 0 mg ejuice for storage sake especially since I'm so picky I tend to buy 30 50 bottles of the same exact juice and as the years go by the nicotine can get a little funky which doesn't happen as quickly or as often with zero nicotine. The sweeteners self-descriptive juice is not sweet enough I try to salvage it by making it sweet because I like sugary sweet e-juice

JR789

Mar 7, 2022
I do modify juice in two major categories if it's not sweet enough I add sweetener and if it's zero nicotine I add my 1.5 mg per milliliter if I desire that juice to have nicotine or feel it tastes better with nicotine. I actually prefer to buy 0 mg ejuice for storage sake especially since I'm so picky I tend to buy 30 50 bottles of the same exact juice and as the years go by the nicotine can get a little funky which doesn't happen as quickly or as often with zero nicotine. The sweeteners self-descriptive juice is not sweet enough I try to salvage it by making it sweet because I like sugary sweet e-juice

Very sensible. Makes life easy when you know what you like:)

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017

I do a thing with 1% fresh cream and 0.25% condensed milk. It gives a milky smoothness to whatever recipe you would use a creamy milky tone with. It worked marvelously with forest fruit and vanilla cupcakes and it's in my cocoa puffs mix too. It's a pretty versatile combo. That's how I roll anyway:D

JR789

Mar 7, 2022
I do a thing with 1% fresh cream and 0.25% condensed milk. It gives a milky smoothness to whatever recipe you would use a creamy milky tone with. It worked marvelously with forest fruit and vanilla cupcakes and it's in my cocoa puffs mix too. It's a pretty versatile combo. That's how I roll anyway:D

Dang! That sounds good. I like how you roll;)

Reactions: Chiisaiinu

Mediocre00Rebel

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2022

Thanks

I picked up a sadboy strawberry ice flavor yesterday... It tastes super artificial... I tried adding some freaking guava, mango orange to it.... It was sort of. Odd. It took the edge off the strawberry tho. I think maybe next time I'll just try adding regular mango I have sitting around to it.

JR789

Mar 7, 2022
I picked up a sadboy strawberry ice flavor yesterday... It tastes super artificial... I tried adding some freaking guava, mango orange to it.... It was sort of. Odd. It took the edge off the strawberry tho. I think maybe next time I'll just try adding regular mango I have sitting around to it.

Yeah. I'm still trying different things with my POG. I just separate off about 5ml and make adjustments so I don't do something I regret,lol.

Maybe another berry or banana could be nice with yours as a guess:)

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Egads!! Strawberry ice with all that? I can well imagine the...oddness. Strawberry ice would be/is really groovy with just the cream deal added. I'm not a huge fan of menthol but for some reason I kinda like that fake Strawberry bubblicious bubble gum flavor with menthol. Reminds me of when I was but a wayward and misguided youngster, smoking Kools because it's all we could get and chewing that Strawberry bubble gum to supposedly hide the smell of cigs. The taste was interesting at the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread