• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

More Government agencies are involved in apprehending vapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domtine

Lim Peh
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2011
North Korea with Disneyland
problem is taxing the nicotine liquid mah, sure alot ppl go jb buy and bring in so can zhao tax

I beg to differ, the 900+mil in tobacco tax collected for 2011 accounts for only 2% of total tax revenue collected. What's more frightening is if vaping indeed is able to reduce tobacco related illnesses and deaths by a remarkable margin, the govt will lose revenue from pharmaceutical companies. For every drug they sell in Singapore they have to send to HSA for testing and that involves money, they wan to conduct clinical trials for new drugs oso need to get approval. Cos they will slowly pull out of SG.

Moreover, less ppl fall sick = less spending on drugs and treatment = less medisave withdrawal = less people want to top up medisave or buy what ever shield = less reason to take money from you.

Tobacco tax is only the tip of the iceberg.

mavieboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
SG
I beg to differ, the 900+mil in tobacco tax collected for 2011 accounts for only 2% of total tax revenue collected. What's more frightening is if vaping indeed is able to reduce tobacco related illnesses and deaths by a remarkable margin, the govt will lose revenue from pharmaceutical companies. For every drug they sell in Singapore they have to send to HSA for testing and that involves money, they wan to conduct clinical trials for new drugs oso need to get approval. Cos they will slowly pull out of SG.

Moreover, less ppl fall sick = less spending on drugs and treatment = less medisave withdrawal = less people want to top up medisave or buy what ever shield = less reason to take money from you.

well said, your theory make sense!

hokm

Verified Member
Apr 2, 2012
Sixth Avenue
Does that mean that Govt allows Shisha because the tobacco is taxed and more importantly, it is more harmful that cigarette which will not affect their Medisave withdrawal as such ? Is that not quite unbelievable ? Since they are already facing hospital shortage, surely, less people falling sick should be good for the government too ?

mavieboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
SG
Does that mean that Govt allows Shisha because the tobacco is taxed and more importantly, it is more harmful that cigarette which will not affect their Medisave withdrawal as such ? Is that not quite unbelievable ? Since they are already facing hospital shortage, surely, less people falling sick should be good for the government too ?

hmm, the problem is all with the taxing, and ecig havent be really tested fully...

Domtine

Lim Peh
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2011

No.... they need sick people to fill up the hospitals to they can take more from you and your father, mother, son & daughter and sell you subsidized drugs at inflated prices. then build more hospitals to take more from you father mother son daughter.

Think about this, why did CPF minimum sum rise to $140k and medisave rise to $38K? All these money is you can see but you can't touch. If they were genuinely concerned for the people's health, Snus would be legal long time ago. Afterall Snus has been clinically tested by the swedish for over 25 years. And the Health Ministry has got their priorities the other way round. Instead of reduce the number of people falling sick, they are accommodating the increase in sick people. Granted people don't make themselves sick but there are lifestyle habits that are slowly killing us.

IMO, it is the reduction of sick people that will alleviate all these health care shortages.

Read this and you'll see the light

leschua75

Moved On
Feb 24, 2011
New York
  • Deleted by Dusty_D
  • Reason: Deleted per user request.

Domtine

Lim Peh
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2011
We should have this stickied of all Domtine's comment. Really. Not that I kept seeing it being repeated but have it stickied is the best option here!

To be exact, for 2011, tobacco taxes collected is S$967.1mil and total tax revenue is S$50985.4mil. So it's only 1.89% to total tax revenue. By definition tax revenue includes income tax, assets tax, motor vehicles tax, customs duties, betting tax, stamp duties, GST & others.

Source: www.singstats.gov.sg

Last edited:

Mikeferdy

Jul 8, 2012
Singapore
Shisha tobacco is taxed as well thus making it legal. By the way, shisha smoking is WAY MORE harmful than regular cigarettes.

This comment is very wrong.

Shisha is not considered smoking at all. Shisha is vapping. Because you don't burn the tobacco, you bake the tobacco to a certain temperature to release the nicotine into a vapor form. No tobacco is burnt and it is less addicting than cigarettes.

Check out this guy's channel to know more about Shisha's and Hookas.

HONEST EVERYTHING HOOKAH PAGE - YouTube

oOSubliminalOo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
OZ
This comment is very wrong.

Shisha is not considered smoking at all. Shisha is vapping. Because you don't burn the tobacco, you bake the tobacco to a certain temperature to release the nicotine into a vapor form. No tobacco is burnt and it is less addicting than cigarettes.

Check out this guy's channel to know more about Shisha's and Hookas.

HONEST EVERYTHING HOOKAH PAGE - YouTube

I'm no expert in this but I'll believe where studies have been done before trusting a bloke on youtube.

CDC - Fact Sheet - Hookahs - Smoking & Tobacco Use

While many hookah smokers may consider this practice less harmful than smoking cigarettes, hookah smoking carries many of the same health risks as cigarettes.

1. Water pipe smoking delivers the addictive drug nicotine and is at least as toxic as cigarette smoke.
2. Due to the mode of smoking—including frequency of puffing, depth of inhalation, and length of the smoking session—hookah smokers may absorb higher concentrations of the toxins found in cigarette smoke.
3. A typical 1-hour-long hookah smoking session involves inhaling 100–200 times the volume of smoke inhaled from a single cigarette.
4. Hookah smokers are at risk for the same kinds of diseases as are caused by cigarette smoking, including oral cancer, lung cancer, stomach cancer, cancer of the esophagus, reduced lung function, and decreased fertility.

Last edited:

Mikeferdy

Jul 8, 2012
Singapore
I'm no expert in this but I'll believe where studies have been done before trusting a bloke on youtube.

CDC - Fact Sheet - Hookahs - Smoking & Tobacco Use

While many hookah smokers may consider this practice less harmful than smoking cigarettes, hookah smoking carries many of the same health risks as cigarettes.

1. Water pipe smoking delivers the addictive drug nicotine and is at least as toxic as cigarette smoke.
2. Due to the mode of smoking—including frequency of puffing, depth of inhalation, and length of the smoking session—hookah smokers may absorb higher concentrations of the toxins found in cigarette smoke.
3. A typical 1-hour-long hookah smoking session involves inhaling 100–200 times the volume of smoke inhaled from a single cigarette.
4. Hookah smokers are at risk for the same kinds of diseases as are caused by cigarette smoking, including oral cancer, lung cancer, stomach cancer, cancer of the esophagus, reduced lung function, and decreased fertility.

I used to believe that too until I realized that study was a lie.

This is actually based on the study about that Shisha is = 100, 200, 400 cigarette saga. The study is actually a moral agenda to get European students from visiting arab culture streets and their shisha. I can't get the link I read a few months ago.

Anyway, there is no official study to debunk this claim but several Shisha enthusiast have debunked the myths themselves.
1 Hookah = 100 Cigarettes - Myth Busted! |

And if you really put some common sense into it and actually look into shisha youself, you will see a lot of blatant lies.

1) they say shisha = 100, 200 or what ever amount of cigarette
If you ever go to a shisha session, you will realize that you don't even put enough tobacco to fill even 1 packet of cigarette.

2) You are not smoking it, you are baking it. If you even go for a shisha session, you will notice that the remain tobacco is not ash, it just become really dried tobacco. No combustion took place, the coal is there to just heat the tobacco to release the nicotine.

Another obvious test is to do the tissue paper test. You get a friend to suck shisha "smoke" and another friend to suck tobacco smoke and blow into a tissue paper. You will see the difference immediately.

and (3) the water is there not to filter but to cool the nicotine vapor down which gives a fog like effect. If you vap shisha without water, you will have a bad time...

anyway, there is no way I can convince you because there is no official study on it. All I can say is to be open minded a bit and try to see if someone is lying to you or not. There are studies out there that is made to fulfill a moral agenda, not scientific facts.

[CONTENT REMOVED]

Sometimes you just need to be up close and personal with the subject to see if something is a myth or a fact.

new-study-shows.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello World

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2012
Vancouver

Yup, the fun never ends scamming the public with legislated monopolies.

oOSubliminalOo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
OZ
I used to believe that too until I realized that study was a lie.

This is actually based on the study about that Shisha is = 100, 200, 400 cigarette saga. The study is actually a moral agenda to get European students from visiting arab culture streets and their shisha. I can't get the link I read a few months ago.

Anyway, there is no official study to debunk this claim but several Shisha enthusiast have debunked the myths themselves.
1 Hookah = 100 Cigarettes - Myth Busted! |

And if you really put some common sense into it and actually look into shisha youself, you will see a lot of blatant lies.

1) they say shisha = 100, 200 or what ever amount of cigarette
If you ever go to a shisha session, you will realize that you don't even put enough tobacco to fill even 1 packet of cigarette.

2) You are not smoking it, you are baking it. If you even go for a shisha session, you will notice that the remain tobacco is not ash, it just become really dried tobacco. No combustion took place, the coal is there to just heat the tobacco to release the nicotine.

Another obvious test is to do the tissue paper test. You get a friend to suck shisha "smoke" and another friend to suck tobacco smoke and blow into a tissue paper. You will see the difference immediately.

and (3) the water is there not to filter but to cool the nicotine vapor down which gives a fog like effect. If you vap shisha without water, you will have a bad time...

anyway, there is no way I can convince you because there is no official study on it. All I can say is to be open minded a bit and try to see if someone is lying to you or not. There are studies out there that is made to fulfill a moral agenda, not scientific facts.

[CONTENT REMOVED]

Sometimes you just need to be up close and personal with the subject to see if something is a myth or a fact.

new-study-shows.jpg

I stand corrected on this and like I said I'm no expert on it. It does help having vested interest in a subject just like vaping but appreciate if it weren't condescending.

Last edited by a moderator:

shanks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2013
Grand Line
From what I know, some shisha doesn't even contain nicotine especially those in thailand. Wow so many agencies are catching vapers ~.~ I don't really vape in public the most I go washroom cubicle haha! I vape only at home most of the time watching tv while lying on my bed and i just realised last night the juice will come out to the driptip and to you lips if you vape it upside...damn noob me as I'm still new to the vape scene...

Okay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2012
either home or work
From what I know, some shisha doesn't even contain nicotine especially those in thailand. Wow so many agencies are catching vapers ~.~ I don't really vape in public the most I go washroom cubicle haha! I vape only at home most of the time watching tv while lying on my bed and i just realised last night the juice will come out to the driptip and to you lips if you vape it upside...damn noob me as I'm still new to the vape scene...

you are not alone trying to be cool trying to vape lying down and end up juice in the mouth...:D

shanks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2013
Grand Line
you are not alone trying to be cool trying to vape lying down and end up juice in the mouth...:D
Wahahaha good to know that I'm not alone...another mistake that i did 2-3 times is when removing the battery part so can charge, I accidental unscrew the the bottom of the juice and goshhhhh juice drip out everywhere on the battery lah, on the table lah or on my leg ~.~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread