Morning Routine

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
I leave the cart on the atomizer overnight and have a few puffs in the morning, but at the time I'm usually simultaneously filling a fresh cart. I usually fill carts just before I use them. They just seem to work better for me that way. After using a cart I pull the filler out a little and fluff it (with a bent paperclip, what else?) and push it back in before refilling. I also switch out carts and cart filler pretty frequently. I think the cart filler gets worse at wicking each time it is used. After 3-4 times, especially with a tobacco-flavored ejuice (that has particulates), it just seems to be bad at wicking juice up to the atty, requiring more thermometer-style shaking, which I have no doubt puts stress on the atty wires (see below).
I think the bulk of the fluid that comes out when you blow out an atty is not bad gunk, it's just the eFluid the metal foam pot around the coil has wicked up. I religiously blew out attys every evening for some time and the only difference I noticed from not blowing them out was that in the morning it took several minutes with a fresh cart attached before they were ready to use - I assume because they had to wick up all that displaced fluid. I still think it's reasonable to occasionally blow one out, particularly to get a strong flavor out faster. But I haven't noticed any difference in lifespan for blowing out attys. If anything, I wonder if blowing out attys, particularly with pressurized air, could possibly put stress on those tiny little wires in there that connect the battery connector to the coil and shorten their lifespan, and thus the atty's. One thing blowing on an atty will not do is get the gunk out of the coil itself, and that is the real killer of attys from what I gather.
So, I don't think the morning routine is that important. It should be something that best fits your needs. Attys are unfortunately limited lifespan disposable parts, you should have spares at all times. I suggest perhaps to help them last longer, try to keep from overheating them or subjecting them to frequent or violent physical shocks and vibrations.

Welcome. You seem to have had a lot of experience prior to joining the forum. If you haven't tried it, give the straw mod a chance to solve some of your juice flow problems. PTB or spring mod might help too.

OH VAPEGODS! I woke up with a freaking vapehangover, stumbled into stuff, bounced off the walls made coffee.

went back to bed.
woke back up grabbed coffee* blech* I forgot put freash grounds in.

went back to bed.
Got up made coffee, grabbed 510 sitting cart side down in my chipped and cracked tumbler.
Went to go get coffee and I had forgotten the water.
Gah turned off pot, vaped a bit went back to bed. Third time is a charm.

miketr

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Southern Illinois (rural area)
Welcome. You seem to have had a lot of experience prior to joining the forum. If you haven't tried it, give the straw mod a chance to solve some of your juice flow problems. PTB or spring mod might help too.

I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression, I've only been doing this about three months; I learned a great deal from these forums. I put the straw mod in all my carts, I won't use a cart without one. I agree it works fantastically. I tried teabags and haven't been able to get the hang of it, despite watching moobeyghost's and others videos.

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression, I've only been doing this about three months; I learned a great deal from these forums. I put the straw mod in all my carts, I won't use a cart without one. I agree it works fantastically. I tried teabags and haven't been able to get the hang of it, despite watching moobeyghost's and others videos.

Three months is 30 times more experience than three weeks :)

For example, it took me four months to finally agree that the best way to treat attys is to leave them alone as much as possible. I keep a wet cart on them at all times. I use multiple flavors and have a different atty for each flavor. I guess I treat the atty/cart like a cartomizer. I don't worry about the gunk unless it causes the atty to clog or short out.

And it took me four months to get the density and length of the polyfill right for the 510. I found that the longest possible piece of fill prevents a juice reservoir in the cart. I don't leave an empty space under the filler like shown in the picture for the straw mod. Light to medium density of the packing also worked best for me. I also use quilt-batting 100% polyfill where it's a lot easier to get the packing right every time.

And it took me four months to finally agree that Johnson Creek juice clogs attys more than other brands of juices. I assume there are other brands of juice that are atty cloggers.

Dave

miketr

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Well, thanks for the compliment!
Yeah, gosh, I know what you are talking about - I learned many of these mods in my first month, and I am still refining what just the right amount of polyfill to put in a cart is. Too little, it won't draw, too much, it leaks. I'm getting decent at eyeballing both the thickness and length. I know it's about right if, for my 901, it takes 15 drops to fill it the first time (with the straw mod in place, and no bottom resevoir for me either; It just seems to me that the wick pushes it down to the bottom if you do that and then you don't get good contact between the wick and the filler material.
I take a fist-sized wispy piece of polyfill and roll it between my hands until it is a very long piece of about the right thickness and density. The rolling has the effect of making the strands stretch out and align from top to bottom. Then I cut several filler pieces at once, if any seems too thick I peel off a little, if too thin I discard it.
I mean, I have this enormous $4 bag of polyfill, the stuff seems to work decent this way, I got a routine down where I can stuff the carts pretty fast, so why not... I try to keep the time and effort low. I'm starting to move away from cleaning and reusing cartridge fillers as well, just as a convenience.

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
Well, thanks for the compliment!
Yeah, gosh, I know what you are talking about - I learned many of these mods in my first month, and I am still refining what just the right amount of polyfill to put in a cart is. Too little, it won't draw, too much, it leaks. I'm getting decent at eyeballing both the thickness and length. I know it's about right if, for my 901, it takes 15 drops to fill it the first time (with the straw mod in place, and no bottom resevoir for me either; It just seems to me that the wick pushes it down to the bottom if you do that and then you don't get good contact between the wick and the filler material.
I take a fist-sized wispy piece of polyfill and roll it between my hands until it is a very long piece of about the right thickness and density. The rolling has the effect of making the strands stretch out and align from top to bottom. Then I cut several filler pieces at once, if any seems too thick I peel off a little, if too thin I discard it.
I mean, I have this enormous $4 bag of polyfill, the stuff seems to work decent this way, I got a routine down where I can stuff the carts pretty fast, so why not... I try to keep the time and effort low. I'm starting to move away from cleaning and reusing cartridge fillers as well, just as a convenience.

Well...if you are still having problems, try the quilt batting. It is denser than the $4 stuff, with unidirectional fiber. And it can be cut clean on all edges, so there are no stray fibers. You should be able to get it at a sewing store. Maybe $12 instead of $4. 100% polyester.

HTH,
Dave

miketr

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Well...if you are still having problems, try the quilt batting. It is denser than the $4 stuff, with unidirectional fiber. And it can be cut clean on all edges, so there are no stray fibers. You should be able to get it at a sewing store. Maybe $12 instead of $4. 100% polyester.

HTH,
Dave

Well, the price is right, and I have seen it in the stores already. I will give it a try!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread