Most RELIABLE 801-compatible atty/supplier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargotA575

Nov 7, 2009
New Mexico
There are threads here about problems with high-bridge 801 attys, but I don't think that's an issue for me - I drip, so cartridge contact with wick is irrelevant.

I love my penstyle (and my Prodigy with an 801-compatible atty):wub:, but the atomizers have been so unreliable and inconsistent. Some have vaped well for a couple weeks before dying; some have been DOA; and some have worked only for a couple days or just limped from the start.:(

I've ordered from various suppliers, e.g., Rocky Mountain Vapor, Totally Wicked, Heaven Gifts, and Puresmoker ... and I'm not sure I see a pattern. The 5-pack I got on sale from TW was the worst (but that is a small sample), two of the three I got from Puresmoker were good for awhile (another very small sample), and the dozen (over time) that I got from RMV varied considerably. I think the two gifts from Heaven were OK. [I just love playing HG's unusual name.:)]

I've read here that many people are happier with the BE112 or Joye302 than with the current DSE801, but the reasons stated all relate to how well the atty interacts with the cartridge material. And I don't care about that. Restuffing cartridges, filling them and topping them off using syringes, straws, or toothpicks - all are just a pain in the tush for me. Dripping is so easy ... and effective (the juice definitely gets on the wick).

Any insights or atty/supplier experiences relating to this atty reliability issue will be greatly appreciated!

P.S. As I was preparing this post, one of my last functioning 801 attys just died.8-o...:cry:...:mad: [i.e., shock, then figurative tears, then anger] Back to my no flavor / no throat hit 510:( ... and to my KR808D-1 with excellent but expensive GreenCig carts.
I am new to this forum but have been vaping since Aug. 10th. I have a DSE801 and DSE103 (Like the menthol & flavors, just not ALL the time). I usually get DSE801 attys etc from either VaporKings (I like colors) or ARLO LLC (plain white attys are $7). They both have fast shipping and good customer service and support. I have attys from both places (4), since late Aug and only had 1 head south.

I read some of the problems with attys losing vaping power and found at least 1 reason why. When you have that problem, pull out cart and see how much moisture is on it. I really don't think its flooding as much as it is excess condensation. Unless ecig designers have solved the physics problem of how to repeal the law of gravity, liquids flow down not up, unless they are vaporized first. The condensation on the OUTSIDE of the cart blocks the little vents on the mouthpiece and stops the air circulation needed for vapor volum. Just wipe it off and take a longer, less hard drag and that should solve problem. I've had it work everytime, except when that 1 atty croaked.

VR59

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
Arizona
Hi Don, now I am disappointed too - hearing your opinion about the be112's. So you sort of agree with Mikie likes it in that the BE112's don't seem to produce like the DSE801's?

By they way I have been visiting this forum for probably a month and a half now and have read many of your posts, in fact I really got a lot from your beginner's guide, thanks so much!
I have to laugh though as I kept waiting and waiting for part 5! I knew before hand I wanted a mod but wasn't sure what atty would work well etc. Long story short, about 3 days before part 5 came out, I purchased a prodigy with an 801. Nice! (I sort of chuckled when I later found that was your choice as well).

So, most of my experience with vaping is with the DSE801 at various voltages, most all on the prodigy or a quick home made passthrough I made to plug into the wall. The latter I had run at 4.5V and the prodigy I run at 5, at least most of the time. I guess I've had adequate success with the attys, though a few have worked great, a few others not so much though I've never gotten a complete dud yet.

Regarding another thread I believe you started on the 801 though, I just can't believe they are passe? I say this because recently I also wished to experiment a bit and ended up buying a few 510 attys and an adapter for the prodigy. Let me say, at least in my opinion they definitely burn much hotter than the 801's sacrificing some flavor. As another poster stated, (forgotten his name now), the 510 definitely seems better suited at lower voltages.

Oh gosh, sorry if I seem to be getting off track, my 5 year old is needing lots of attention, hehe. Anyhow I am kind of thinking I've come up with a pretty good set up to suit a wide variety of needs, though I guess this has nothing to do with the best atty for the 801. But, that being said, I enjoy all of the options I have with minimal fuss. Starting with the prodigy, I now have adapters for either the 801 or the 510. I also purchased a non resistored switch so if I run the CR123s I can use either 5 or 6 volts, (6 Volts seems to much for any of these atty's to me). Or, I can go with the 3.7V battery and no resistor which seems to suit the 510 better.

Now, not sure if you mod or not, but ... what I really like is a very inexpensive mod I made for home use. Someone posted a similar description for a cigar type I believe, anyway it is basically a wooden dowel with a thumbtack on either end to replace the batteries when I am home. I did have to dremel out a slot in the end of the prodigy for the wires to come out but no more worries of passthroughs or usb ports etc. For $15 I just got a variable output AC (to DC) adapter with 1800mA at Fry's. With a simple rotary switch I can have either 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9 and I believe 12. Anyhow, it's really nice now, when I get home I just pop out the batteries and stick in the wooden dowel. I can use either the resistor or non resistor switch and either my 801 or 510 attys at a very wide variety of voltages, (3, 3.7, 4.5, 5 or 6 and on).

Sorry to dabble on but when I read you were having passthrough problems I often wonder why more people don't do this, it's very inexpensive and easy to do. Also, thanks for the BE112 advice, wonder if my best option for the penstyle attys continues to be Heaven Gifts?

VR59

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
Arizona
Just a quick follow up on the dowel rod battery or should I say passthrough replacement, this is similar to what I did except I used a thumbtack on each end, (the bottom one contacts the spring on the end cap), and had to cut a slot in the bottom/side of my prodigy for the wire:cry:. But ... now my prodigy does it all, at home or on the go :D

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tips-tricks/4321-08-cent-usb-mod.html

Also, Don, if you are going with the 510, I am hearing some say to try dipping with the 306 as it fits on 510 gear ... hmmmm yet another atty/set up to consider, will the spending ever stop? haha

VR59

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
Arizona
Was curios if anyone else has tried or come across this post on resurrecting old attys?

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/experiments-equipment/5782-atomizer-resurrection-pt-1-a.html

One of my most favorite DSE801 attys, (wonderful flavor), was giving up the ghost and this actually worked quite well. I just used a small to medium sized paper clip inserted into the hole on the battery end and it works like a champ now. Check it out ... worth a try on saving some old attys.

Also, it sounds then like the general consensus, (well, ok two experienced vapors: Mikie likes it and Dondaboom) is that the BE112's don't perform as well as the DSE801's? I was thinking about restocking soon and was anxious to try those BE112's but I guess as far as performance goes I might as well just stick with the DSE801's from say heaven gifts? I think they are something like 4 bucks there if you get a quantity? (Plus shipping of course).

smonomo

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
USA, Northeast.
Second thoughts on these B112's....

The draw is still a little tight, but very smooth, with good flavor and throat hit. The draw is very quiet compared to my gurgling TW's. No matter what I do, they never seem to flood.
The TW's flood in a heart beat....and I need all I can get :D...So I guess I'll be sticking with the BE112's.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Ecigsupply has the best prices I have seen. A complete 801 kit for $26.95, atty's for $6.95 and batteries for $8.95.

Dse-801 penstyle

That is quite an impressive price for an 801 starter kit! However, I am a bit concerned with the strong denial of any type of warranty or guarantee on their "Shipping & Returns" page (which doesn't even mention shipping).

Their 801 and 510 parts (which I need) are comparably priced to Rocky Mountain Vaper's, which provides free shipping.

I think I'll pass for now.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
...Also, it sounds then like the general consensus, (well, ok two experienced vapors: Mikie likes it and Dondaboom) is that the BE112's don't perform as well as the DSE801's?

Don't let Sun Vaporizer hear you say that. He swears by the BE112. [Of course, (if I remember correctly) he owns a couple hundred BE112 attys, so he has a vested interest.;)]

Seriously, my negative experience and comments have been based on a very small sample: 3 attys from a little-known supplier. Sun is not the only ECF member who has praised the BE112.

And, to clarify, they're not terrible ... just not as good as my 801s (when they've worked). I'm vaping one now; it's more of an effort (as smonomo mentioned) and the vapor is disappointing, but the throat hit is good and the flavor is not bad.

I should be getting a couple more 801s from Rocky Mountain Vapor tomorrow to make a direct comparison (rather than one from memory).

Continuing my search for the "perfect" penstyle (for dripping).

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
I am new to this forum but have been vaping since Aug. 10th. I have a DSE801 and DSE103 (Like the menthol & flavors, just not ALL the time). I usually get DSE801 attys etc from either VaporKings (I like colors) or ARLO LLC (plain white attys are $7). They both have fast shipping and good customer service and support. I have attys from both places (4), since late Aug and only had 1 head south.

I read some of the problems with attys losing vaping power and found at least 1 reason why. When you have that problem, pull out cart and see how much moisture is on it. I really don't think its flooding as much as it is excess condensation. Unless ecig designers have solved the physics problem of how to repeal the law of gravity, liquids flow down not up, unless they are vaporized first. The condensation on the OUTSIDE of the cart blocks the little vents on the mouthpiece and stops the air circulation needed for vapor volum. Just wipe it off and take a longer, less hard drag and that should solve problem. I've had it work everytime, except when that 1 atty croaked.

Probably good advice for a cart user, however I only drip (i.e., no cart).

smonomo

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
USA, Northeast.
Don,

These BE112's are perfect in every way, I've been using them for several days now, and they've been working flawlessly. The difference between my DSE801's and my TW's compared to my BE112's is night and day. I have no interest in looking at any other atomizer.

What kind of cartridge set up are you using?

Edit: ahh, you're a dripper. Well, another good point about the BE's is they don't leak or flood, I haven't had any juice in mouth yet while using carts.

Last edited:

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
Don't let Sun Vaporizer hear you say that. He swears by the BE112. [Of course, (if I remember correctly) he owns a couple hundred BE112 attys, so he has a vested interest.;)]

Seriously, my negative experience and comments have been based on a very small sample: 3 attys from a little-known supplier. Sun is not the only ECF member who has praised the BE112.

And, to clarify, they're not terrible ... just not as good as my 801s (when they've worked). I'm vaping one now; it's more of an effort (as smonomo mentioned) and the vapor is disappointing, but the throat hit is good and the flavor is not bad.

I should be getting a couple more 801s from Rocky Mountain Vapor tomorrow to make a direct comparison (rather than one from memory).

Continuing my search for the "perfect" penstyle (for dripping).

Ok I have to agree as well regarding the BE112....they produce a lot of vapor but the vapor is very airy and has little taste. May I recommend the M201...fantastic vapor 10/10, great throat hit 10/10 and very good taste 9/10. The best thing about them is they last very long....I go through about 4 ml a day dripping.... each atty lasts me over a month easily. The only problem with them is that the draw is on the hard side, but I got used to it in about a day. Also the batteries shut off for minute if you take too many hits too quickly. Over all they are the best ecigs on the market and I have tried them all. The only way these could be improved if they offered manual batteries as well...so when we want to go crazy and vape 5 cigs worth in 10 minutes we could do it.

I had saved up to buy a few of the mods out there but when I tried the m201....it would be a waste of time to get a mod since the batteries last a very long time. I think they are 280mah batteries but they last way longer than any 801 batteries. I usually only go through 2 batteries a day.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Ok I have to agree as well regarding the BE112....they produce a lot of vapor but the vapor is very airy and has little taste. May I recommend the M201...fantastic vapor 10/10, great throat hit 10/10 and very good taste 9/10. The best thing about them is they last very long....I go through about 4 ml a day dripping.... each atty lasts me over a month easily. The only problem with them is that the draw is on the hard side, but I got used to it in about a day. Also the batteries shut off for minute if you take too many hits too quickly. Over all they are the best ecigs on the market and I have tried them all. The only way these could be improved if they offered manual batteries as well...so when we want to go crazy and vape 5 cigs worth in 10 minutes we could do it.

I had saved up to buy a few of the mods out there but when I tried the m201....it would be a waste of time to get a mod since the batteries last a very long time. I think they are 280mah batteries but they last way longer than any 801 batteries. I usually only go through 2 batteries a day.

Where did you get your M201? I see that LiteCigUSA is out of stock ... of kits, but perhaps I'll just order an atty and batt to try it out. I've got a bunch of push-in chargers that should work.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Don, how did your 801's from RMV work out for you, or have you gotten them yet?

Thanks for asking, shadowpianoman! Yes they did arrive and I'm vaping one now. It's inconsistent, but, on average, better than the BE112s I received ... I think (they each have their good hours and their bad hours).:?: I'm still not a happy camper. I've been vaping my 510 more and more.

I'm vascillating between ordering the $40 (+ $15 shipping) marble-colored 4-hole 801 starter kit from EastMall and ordering a $20 black M201 from LiteCigUSA (just a battery and atty, since their kit is out of stock). I've read good things about both of them.

I've even been thinking about going in an entirely different direction and getting a $50 M702 also from LiteCigUSA. It's the same device as the Revolver Elite in Nikko Daniels impressive video review. I know MoobyGhost didn't like the Revolver, but Missy's video review of LiteCig's M702 is as favorable as Nikko's.
I've never vaped a super-mini and it looks like fun!

I'm not normally so indecisive.:oops:

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
That'd be a tough decision for me as to what to get, Don. They all have great selling points. (the marble 801 sounds veeeeeeery stylish though ;) Anyway, my 801 is vaping like a champ at the moment, and I'm taking a nice, slow vape session. Not at all a bad way to spend a Sunday night.

"Nice, slow vape session" - wonderful indeed. Only difference is I alternate my penstyle with my 510. Both have great vapor, the 801 has more throat hit (which can get in my way when chain vaping).

Your 801: from where, with how many holes, at what bridge height?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread