Mothers Milk WTA Game Read post 1. Premium E-Juice giveaway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DVap

Nicotiana Alchemia
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
I eliminated nicotine, anabasine, and anatabine via locating molar volume data that was generally in the 150+ cm3 range.

This leaves nornicotine, for which I located a molar volume range that fits. So while I can't find the page with the 145.845 cm3 reference, I believe that this number is meant to be the molar volume (value) for nornicotine.

Also makes sense in that ideality would suggest quite similar molar volumes for nicotine, anabasine, and anatabine seeing as they all have molecular weights from around 160 - 162, while nornicotine's molecular mass is lower at around 148, which would (again assuming ideality) suggest a molar volume around 10% lower than the other alkaloids of interest. The others cluster from 153 to 160 (the difference being probably due to non-ideality). Chop 10% off these values, and we get a number pretty close to 145.845, which again, I believe is the value you got for nornicotine's molar volume (value).

Last edited:

Biggame

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2014
Alabama
I googled several different combinations of things, adding words and parenthesis to some of the alkaloids, I'm not positive exactly what was in the search terms when that site came up. Am I close? Although now I see that that page comes up with just 145.845 cm3. Also 145.845 is the molar volume of Dicyclopentylidenehydrazine. But I am no chemist, I am just trying to win a chance to try some of your WTA liquid.
I am definitely going to get some of your liquid because I am so curious about it, but I just placed a big order with another vendor so I may have to wait a little while. In my defense I had not heard of Mothers Milk when I placed this other order, But some Mothers Milk Menthol will be my next purchase!

DVap

Nicotiana Alchemia
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
Wow.. all the molar volumes I found quoted for these alkaloids are clearly wrong. Molar volume is obtained from the molecular weight (grams/mole) divided by the density (cm3/gram). Cancelling units appropriately, we end up with units of cm3/mole as expected.

We know the molecular weights of nicotine, nornicotine, anatabine, and anabasine with high accuracy. Densities in the literature tend to have a little variation, but they tend to agree pretty closely. So using available density literature and molecular weights present in nature, we have:

Nicotine
162.231598 g/mole
1.017 cm3/g

Nornicotine
148.205002 g/mole
1.074 cm3/g

Anabasine
162.231598 g/mole
1.046 cm3/g

Anatabine
160.215698 g/mole
1.086 cm3/g

Dividing the molecular weights by the densities gives us the molar volume in cm3 (cm3/mole)

Nicotine: 159.920 cm3
Nornicotine: 137.993 cm3
Anabasine: 155.097 cm3
Anatabine: 147.528 cm3

None of these match any of the molar volume values I can find in literature (or 145.845 for that matter). I suspect these literature values are estimates and pretty bad ones at that.

DVap

Nicotiana Alchemia
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
here it is.........
molar volume of anabasine is 145.845 cm3,under the properties tab
http://www.chemspider.com/Chemical-Structure.17923.html

That's anabaseine.. different compound entirely from anabasine. I didn't even consider it. I'm sure that's what the good doctor was looking at, but did he think he was looking at anabasine instead of anabaseine?

Interestingly enough (maybe), anabaseine is a toxin produced by carnivorous marine nemertine worms as a defense mechanism, and has been investigated for pharmaceutical effects in the treatment of schizophrenia. It's an interesting compound, but it's not found in tobacco.

P.S. If I did all this work because somebody missed the letter "E" in a word, I'll be going on a multi-state spree... first stop, the Bay Area. :glare:

Last edited:

Ding

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Molon Labe
I used the search term "reference 145.845 cm3" in the search bar and it took me straight to the page I listed,and looked at his web page which listed "anabasine".hey,if it's wrong I'm sure I'll get a oh so close again or no cigar but this stuff really is above my paid grade.But I had fun tryin to figure it out.

I know docs mis spell words so it may be,maybe not but Ima gettin on the short bus myself.

Last edited:

DVap

Nicotiana Alchemia
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
I used the term "reference anabasine 145.845 cm3" in the search bar and it took me straight to the page I listed,and looked at his web page which listed spelled "anabasine".hey,if it's wrong I'm sure I'll get a oh so close again or no cigar but this stuff really is above my paid grade.

You found the doctor's page alright, but "reference anabasine 145.845 cm3" doesn't bring it up. I think you made a very fortuitous typo in your search since "reference anabaseine 145.845 cm3" pulls it right up. Simply Googling "anabaseine 145.845" also brings it right up.

Now, hush... I've got a long drive ahead!

DVap

Nicotiana Alchemia
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
its only a contest. mistakes can happen so give ter DR. a break
wont know the correct ans. till the DR. checks in.
besides right or wrong its fun and its for FREE ejuice.
soooo im not on that bus hahahha
im gonna stay around and enjoy the fun and scenery here:toast::D

Don't worry, we know... Just bustin'. Besides, I make my own WTA. :)

DrBeaker

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2013
Lab City USA
www.mothersmilkwta.com
I will never again rely on my memory or my computer history as the computer I did the research on crashed and has been wiped out and rebuilt. Lost the history. I made a typo in my search for a molar volume of anabasine and typed in anabaseine instead. I wrote the number down 145.845. I went to a different machine and Googled 145.845 just to make sure it wasn’t too easy to find. I thought cool this should be fun.
Yesterday I started trying to locate my reference and OMG I couldn’t find it. No wonder I was looking for the wrong thing.
After Dvap started posting the results of his efforts I thought for sure he would find it (Sorry Dvap.)
I apologize to everyone that racked their brains trying to find out what this number meant only to discover I spelled it wrong. I know I should have printed a hard copy and usually do but the machine crashed and that was not possible. From now on I will do a better job on verifying details.

I will make the next game simpler. Maybe a riddle (more my speed.)

So congratulations Ding you win because you found the actual reference. In light of my mistake for everyone else I am going to take the total number of posts and use a random number generator and pull 2 post numbers and they will also win.

Thank you everyone for playing and being such good sports.

Please don’t drive to San Jose and kill me.

DrBeaker

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2013
Lab City USA
www.mothersmilkwta.com
Just used randomizer.

Research Randomizer Results

1 Set of 2 Unique Numbers Per Set
Range: From 1 to 133 -- Unsorted

Job Status:

Set #1:
98, 133

Congratulations to Blueeddie1 post #133 and Biggame #98
Winners please PM me your address so I may send you your prizes.
Thanks for playing...

DVap

Nicotiana Alchemia
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
So congratulations Ding you win because you found the actual reference. In light of my mistake for everyone else I am going to take the total number of posts and use a random number generator and pull 2 post numbers and they will also win.

Ding should get double-congratulations for somehow, inexplicably, duplicating your typo. Had I won, I would have asked that the prize be given to Ding anyway... I made a bunch of unflavored WTA last weekend and I'm swimming in the stuff.

I knew it was a ChemSpider reference, but was going nuts trying to find it via these 4 tobacco alkaloids. Had I simply searched 145.845 and told Google to limit the hits to chemspider.com, I would have had only ten pages of Google results to search and would have found it in about 5 minutes on page ten. Ah, hindsight!

DrBeaker, I trusted you, and you broke my heart. :(
(lol/jk folks).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread