Moving on from Sticks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hell_storm2004

ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2013
Richardson, Texas, USA
Hello Everyone,

I finally decided to move on from stick vaping and on to bigger stuff. So I was looking into those box like devices. After going through a few online stuff. I see that the Wisemec RX Gen3 name being consistent and popping up on most of the sites i have seen. Is it the best one currently out there?

And I was looking at online prices and stuff, I am a little confused about the term "starter kit", if I just get the starter kit, is it enough? Most sites i visited, gave the option of choosing battery, charger, tank etc. If i need to get everything separate, its not much of a starter kit, isn't it?

Reactions: Letitia

hell_storm2004

ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2013
Richardson, Texas, USA
Ooops! You lost me there with the word "atty". Do you mean battery? I just want to something that is reliable. Over the past 4 years of stick vaping, the constant issues i have had, was parts going kaput. Sometimes the battery, sometimes the coil or the tank. Just want something that is like fill it and vape. The occasional this and that breaking down is fine.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I see that the Wisemec RX Gen3 name being consistent and popping up on most of the sites i have seen. Is it the best one currently out there?
You have to define what "best" means. Someone might say the Honda Civic is the best car, but someone else will say the Toyota Camray is the best. See where I'm going with this?

There is no "best" vaping setup that would suit everyone's needs. There are too many styles of vapers. This is why there are so many different types of vaping devices on the market today. If they all did the exact same thing, why do we need that many?

Many of us veterans recommend the iStick Pico (mod) and Aspire Nautilus (atomizer or tank) as a reliable first vaping setup.

Original-75W-Eleaf-iStick-Pico-Kit-New-Colors-2ml-Eleaf-MELO-3-Mini-Tank-with-Pico.jpg

And I was looking at online prices and stuff, I am a little confused about the term "starter kit", if I just get the starter kit, is it enough? Most sites i visited, gave the option of choosing battery, charger, tank etc. If i need to get everything separate, its not much of a starter kit, isn't it?
I've always been very wary of "starter kits". Usually its a decent mod but the Asian supplier adds a cheapo tank or a free battery with the kit to make the consumer think they are getting more for their money. Often that tank is close to worthless and the battery is a generic battery not even safe for vaping.

If it were me, I'd get the mod that I like, and then purchase the tank I want separately. Might cost more purchasing separately, but in the long run I'm getting what I really want and need.

My one piece of advice to you would be to avoid anything made by SMOK or Smoktech. Otherwise, do your research, learn vaping terminology, and ask questions here prior to spending your hard earned money. The first mod that I would look at would be an iStick Pico and the first tank the Aspire Nautilus.

Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder
  • From cigalike batteries, to eGo's, to mods. Another picture dictionary of terminology and form factors for beginning vapers. Includes videos.
Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper
  • Typical starter setups recommended for a new vaper. Includes a video on the use of an eGo variable voltage battery/clearomizer and of the iStick and MVP mods.
Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Delivery Devices
  • A picture dictionary for beginners with descriptions of clearomizers, nano's, drip atomizers, bottom feeding mods, cartomizers, cartotanks, and RBA's (rebuildable atomizers). Includes video demos/reviews of all devices. Includes tips on clearomizer tanks to avoid flooding or dry hit issues.

Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping
  • A popular and essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.
Guide to Choosing a Li-ion Battery Charger

• Guide to help a novice in choosing a charger. Covers recommended brands, suggestions for the number of charging bays you'll need, independent bays, LED or LCD models, and "smart chargers".

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The wismec gen 3 is ok. Wismec has had intermittent problems with the 510 posts on the releaux series and I don’t know if the gen 3 has them or not. I’ve got a releaux 2/3 which is an earlier model and IS supposed to have 510 issues but I have never experienced any so I’m not sure it matters much.

“Atty” is short for atomizer.

hell_storm2004

ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2013
Richardson, Texas, USA
It helps if you tell us what sticks you are using. What kind of draw are you wanting, direct lung and more airflow or mouth to lung with tight airflow?

Ah, this was more in my newbie area! :)

Currently I have the Smok A10, quite like it. And I also have a Aspire CF VV with aspire tank (battery has gone bad on this one though). Also I have an old Vision Spinner which i keep around as backup. Prefer the last option you mentioned "mouth to lung with tight airflow".

• Useful

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
So mtl tank. Pretty much any mod with 80w will last you a day. I prefer dual 18650 devices. You really don't need a dual battery device but the battery life is a appealing. Are you interested in temp control?Do you want a pocket friendly set up? In other words what are your expectations?

Reactions: QcVaper

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
A few newer style 'tanks' have plastic/polycarbonate tanks, a few as options.
But, as soon as you say 'no glass tanks' you're limiting options severely and talking about older style lack luster performance, less reliable harder to find delivery devices.

I break a dozen or so tanks per year, that's why replacement glass is available.

The nautilus2 has a glass tank but it is mostly covered with a metal 'cap'. Uses aspire nautilus BVC replaceable heads in various resistances.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
There are going to be tradeoffs with any device you choose. A single battery device will be more pocketfriendly and lightweight, but you'll likely need to change the battery (or at least charge it) once a day. You'll get 2 - 3 days on a two or three battery device, but it won't be as pocketfriendly and will be heavier than a single battery device.

Some folks will suggest a "rebuildable" tank (rta), but that requires you to learn how to wrap your own wire coils and add cotton wick to those coils. Being so new to the more "advanced" vaping scene, I'm not sure you want to go there just yet.

Last edited:

hell_storm2004

ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2013
Richardson, Texas, USA
Some folks will suggest a "rebuildable" tank (rta), but that requires you to learn how to wrap your own wire coils and add cotton wick to those coils. Being so new to the more "advanced" vaping scene, I'm not sure you want to go there just yet.

This one, at least for now, I can hold off on.

Pocket friendly is something i am not looking at. I can still use my stick when i go out. Its mostly what i can use at home. So dual/triple is just fine.

As far as the glass tanks go, if glass tanks are better, i can bite the bullet and just be more careful.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
This one, at least for now, I can hold off on.

Pocket friendly is something i am not looking at. I can still use my stick when i go out. Its mostly what i can use at home. So dual/triple is just fine.

As far as the glass tanks go, if glass tanks are better, i can bite the bullet and just be more careful.
Budget? Do you care if tank is top or bottom fill?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Glass tanks ARE better, believe me. I can remember a time when all we had was plastic tanks, and quickly found out that some flavors cracked or melted the plastic.

I wrote this blog just as glass tanks were coming onto the market.

Something Safe for Cinnamon & Citrus Flavors
  • There are some flavors which can destroy plastic tanks. Discover which flavors are known to cause this, watch a video of a tank melting using one of these flavors, and see a picture dictionary of safe products to use if you enjoy using these flavors.

• Agree
Reactions: Eskie

hell_storm2004

ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2013
Richardson, Texas, USA
Something in previous thread sounded a bit naughty! :p

Really to be honest, I dont have a fixed budget. I prefer to get something good. If its expensive, it is what it is! I was going through the myVapeStore website. The full build was something like $150. Charger, battery, tank and the mod (considering the Wisemc). Of course, if you can guide me to something better at a better cost, why not! This is what i thought i would get, before deciding to ask the experts.

Products..jpg

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
For myself the first deciding factor when shopping mods is hand feel. If I don't like like holding it I won't use it, then I have to start over again. If you think you won't mind the weight and shape go for it. I have a now benched RX200, the shape was actually fairly comfortable, the weight not so much for me. Used about 3 months and invested in my 1st Therion. They are my happy hand devices.:)

Reactions: Eskie

Snicks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2013
Riverside, CA
Glass is better. Especially if you vape some citrus juices. and it cleans up nicer. That said they sell these rubber band type items that you can slip over your glass tank and it can help with keeping the glass intact if dropped. It worked for me once when i dropped my mod on the road. Amazon.com: Vape Bands - Pack of 20 Vape Rings made with Silicone for RBA RDA Tank Mechanical Mods: Cell Phones & Accessories

Since you liked your SMOK A10 I would either just buy another one or upgrade to a dual 18650 mod by SMOK or maybe a VooPoo Drag? VooPoo DRAG 157W TC Gene Chip Box Mod | Vaping Devices

Some mods are sold as kits and have good tanks. Like SMOK X-PRIV can be bought with the SMOK Prince tank (which I love) or you can buy the mod and tank separately.

I'm not a big fan of those Wismec 3 battery devices. They do not fit in my pocket well and even when I'm home I usually have my mod in my pocket unless I'm sitting down at my desk. I prefer pocket friendly devices. I like VooPoo and SMOK as well as Sigelei. Snow wolf make some nice mods too.

Just find one you like that has good user ratings and buy it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread