MTL RTAs vs. Pod System

Status
Not open for further replies.

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
I'm using pod system devices for almost 3 years ago. The performance and flavor are up and down. In addition, I rebuild/rewick some of them such as Myjet and Minifit. Have/had many of them Juul, myjet, pea, minifit, c601, vladdin , Orion DNA, and others.

I decided to try MTL RTAs after reading and hearing about how they are better in regards to flavour comparing to pods.

After searching, reading, and watching many YouTube reviews, I got Ehpro True MTL RTA, which is a nice very good quality atomizer, but:

1- Even the smallest air slot 1mm is not that restrictive comparing to Myjet for example.

2- I tried different builds Kanthal A1, SS, Ni80, and even the one that came with the atomizer. Yes… the SS316L with Temp Control is the best, but still I didn’t find that rich unique flavor most reviewers and people are talking about. I tried same e-juices I use with my pod devices. 50vg/50pt, 70vg/30pg, 12-18mg freebase, and 50mg NS. I tried different ohms and coil heights, okay I managed to get something close to the flavor I have with the pod system, but where is that rich flavor with hidden notes every MTL lover is talking about?

I don’t mean to disparage using MTL RTAs, but I was really looking forward to trying something new and I was sorely disappointed. Am I using it wrong or was the experience too hyped up and exaggerated and this is all I’m going to get?

Well, my dairy setup incluides a pod, mtl RTA and a vape mod, right, i carry that much mostly,

my everyday setup is a asmodus colossal 80W mod + ammit MTL RTA, SS316 coils on TCR mode, awesome, just awesome, using saltnic, the same i do use on pods, troat hit is higher, flavor is head blower! i like it cuz hits harder than any pod, providing same salt nic satisfaction and rush, with the flavor of a well build RTa, so is truly amazing, pods, well pods are great when space of carrying things is not a wide option, i still use'em because of that,

been lucky to have had alot of pods sent out to me some are ok but they have now been given away

what's better than a pod?

a tiny 18350 mech with a small mtl rta

rta's
dvarw
new kayfun lite
doggiestyle
i rather a quite small TC box mod + MTL RTA !
for the win!

Bulbul

Nov 21, 2017
Well, my dairy setup incluides a pod, mtl RTA and a vape mod, right, i carry that much mostly,

my everyday setup is a asmodus colossal 80W mod + ammit MTL RTA, SS316 coils on TCR mode, awesome, just awesome, using saltnic, the same i do use on pods, troat hit is higher, flavor is head blower! i like it cuz hits harder than any pod, providing same salt nic satisfaction and rush, with the flavor of a well build RTa, so is truly amazing, pods, well pods are great when space of carrying things is not a wide option, i still use'em because of that,

for the win!

I just go the Ammit yesterday, but the rda not the rta. It's good atomizer, easy to build and wick.. I tried it on eVic-VTC Mini with 12-24mg freebase which was good vape with one con that you need to keep dripping. But with the nicotine salt 50mg, it was harsh. Could it be due to the coil came with the RDA? Which I think clapton Ni80 around 0.7 ohm?

Reactions: stols001

Ben Killeen

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2018
Finland (British)
I just go the Ammit yesterday, but the rda not the rta. It's good atomizer, easy to build and wick.. I tried it on eVic-VTC Mini with 12-24mg freebase which was good vape with one con that you need to keep dripping. But with the nicotine salt 50mg, it was harsh. Could it be due to the coil came with the RDA? Which I think clapton Ni80 around 0.7 ohm?
That’s quite a lot of salt nic!
What temp you run it at? Lower watts will take the edge off

Reactions: stols001

Ben Killeen

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2018
Finland (British)
It was on VW 12-20 watts on.0.7 ohm, because the prebuilt coil came with the rda isn't SS. But usually I like 230°C with TC.
I’m running a 1.1ohm ss coil and find anything over 18mg of salt nic is horrible.
It seems better with lower mg and I can vape it all day at 3mg at 15w with that coil

mac-nutty

Moved On
Mar 2, 2019
pub

for the win!
as you wish

tc mods
pico 75w with arctic fox firmware
Or
megavolt 80w council of vapours

Last edited:

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
I got the Ammit rda yesterday, it's very good atomizer except that I need to drip frequently. I still prefer rta with a big tank.

Fantastic flavour isn't it...and practically leak proof :) I'm not sure whether they do a squonk pin for it and if not there is another pin that might fit...worth checking out.

I guess you need to make a choice between flavour and convenience? I take my drippers out with me all the time and have got used to the dripping. Only problem is that you need to be sitting down really so no good if you're on the move all the time and dripping whilst driving is a big no no :)

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019

sup lad, mine came without coils, dunno why, 1st coil installed was store made, 0.95 ohm kanthal single wire, decent enough, but wat too much metal taste, then moved to a superfine mtl coils by vandy vape,1.5 ohm, amazing, started using nic salt with this one, 35-30mg saltz,
right now trying SS316L, starting using temp-control, current place TCR for SS316, amazing flavor and punch cannot be compared to pods, nic rush is almost instantaneous, totally amazed, but yes, Saltnic on RTa's or vape beyond pods will require at least 1 ohm coil, low wattage, low poser setup mostly, cuz with higher wattage you will end-up with burn throat..

I got the Ammit rda yesterday, it's very good atomizer except that I need to drip frequently. I still prefer rta with a big tank.
well, a friend uses MTL RDA with bottom feeder /squonk mods...

That’s quite a lot of salt nic!
What temp you run it at? Lower watts will take the edge off
guess is about preferences, cuz im vaping today Candy King on salt, straw + wmelon .. 35mg salts, amazing!

Pokeroo

Nov 16, 2018
Toronto
I find that pod systems, especially the newer ones, have excellent flavour, probably because of the size of the chamber and the proximity to your lips. So I'm not sure you're going to get mind-blowingly better flavour from anything, tbh.

The appeal of rebuildables and mods (for me) is the ability to customize almost every aspect of the vape. Pods are generally a one-trick pony.

Draw is tricky. I find that in addition to your AF setting, the perception of draw also depends on the density of the vapour, the size of the airflow opening under the coil, the height and diameter of the coil and the amount of wicking. Don't forget the drip tip. These all affect the flow of air/vapour.

With all that in mind, and with all things being equal, I find that the 0.8mm on the Hastur mini to be a fairly tight MTL, the 1mm on the Prime feels looser, and the 1mm on the True is somewhere in between.

If you're draw-obsessed, you might want to try a tank with continuous, rather than discreet, airflow control, adjusted via a screw instead of different sized precut holes. You can adjust down to zero (theoretically). The new KFL has this as well as lots of older tanks. You might have to go with a clone, since many of these older tanks are very hard to acquire.

Good luck, I'll be curious to hear how it goes.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread