Mtl tank battery(18650)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoiDBerserK

May 11, 2020
Hey guyz,i am planning to buy a mtl setup and was wondering how to decide on good battery as i cant get a good explanation to the terms being used.i plan to vape around 15-25 watt and am looking for a 18650 battery that can last me well.i also saw people saying that sometimes its better to go for more amps than mah.So i was hoping someone can help me understamd as well as decide in some batteries

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You can use nic salts to your heart's desire, although really "nic recommendations" I would take with a grain of salt, really. You will probably need to experiment. No, the combination of freebase and salt nic will not cause anything to corrode, explode etc. Nic salts behave just like nicotine EXCEPT for throat hit, otherwise they are not magical or special unless your nic is ungodly high which some folks enjoy I guess.

Having some headroom is good in some cases, it just is. So I wouldn't sacrifice ALL your amperage for run time is really all I can say about that.

Anna

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
So i was hoping someone can help me understamd as well as decide in some batteries
Here is a great ohm amp voltage watt calculator.
I am assuming you are using a regulated mod, and not a mech.
If you are using the 1.6 coil at 25 watts, you will be using 3.95 amps and 6.32 volts. (Yes, the batteries are about 4.1 volts charged, and usually 3.7 ~ 3.8 volts through the discharge, Your mod will bump the voltage up to get the desired power in watts)
So, by example, I like using Samsung 30Q 3,000mAh 15A. At your wattage of 25w, you are below 4 Amps. I'd say this battery is a good fit.
Even if you change coils to a sub ohm 0.8, you are only drawing 5.6 amps at your 25 watts.
Check with the recommended batteries with the legendary Mooch. And do not buy batteries from fleabay or amzon!
But I'd favor capacity (mAh) in a high quality battery. There is no need to have a 30A battery if you never break 10A.

This is my opinion, I'm sure others will chime in.

VoiDBerserK

May 11, 2020
Im gonna use aegis solo with the zlide tank so im guessing its a regulated mod.also battery i saw that lg hg2 3000mah 20amp is good.Also dude lets say suppose i use the cerberus tank and its .48 ohm or smthng that range coils.can i use the mod at 40-60watt or will that cuz the battery to overheat,vent.etc.My main goal is to get the best battery for mtl with the occasional subohm.Also im noob so no flame

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Batteries have CDR (continuous discharge rating, measured in amps) and capacity (measured in mAhs). CDR is most important. What you need depends on the maximum wattage you're going to vape at. As a rule of thumb, divide the maximum wattage you will ever use the battery at by three to get the minimum CDR you need. Then find a battery from a reliable brand name (preferably recommended by Mooch) with the maximum capacity (mAhs) you can find for that CDR and buy it from a reliable vendor (preferably recommended by Mooch).

25 watts / 3 = 8.3 amps

So you want the highest mAh you can get in a battery with a CDR over 8.3 amps.

The best options for those criteria are these three:
  • Samsung 30Q - 15A, 3000 mAh
  • LG HG2 - 20A, 3000 mAh
  • Sony/Murata - 15A, 3000 mAh
Those three will suit you very well, and you're unlikely to notice any significant difference in performance between them.

Just to clarify, the 'go for amps rather than mAh' advice mostly applies when you're vaping near the CDR of a cell. You only need 8.3 amps, so a 15 amp cell will perform well. If you were vaping at 40 - 45 watts and needed at least 14 or 15 amps, then you'd probably be better off with a 20 amp cell even if the capacity was a little lower.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    At 25W or less at 1.6 ohms, any reputable battery that responsible vapers use will do.

Whatever battery you buy, I suggest buying from reputable battery retailers, not from vape retailers because you never know which one of them is selling fakes. Vape retailers who sell fakes don't necessarily even know they are selling fakes.

Just buy from a battery vendor. Since batteries are their expertise, they have a lot to lose by selling fakes, even unknowingly, so they are better and more cautious at sourcing reputable suppliers.

Here's a list if reputable battery retailers...
    • liionwholesale.com
    • Illumn.com
    • IMRbatteries.com
    • 18650BatteryStore.com
    • BatteryJunction.com
    • Orbtronic.com
    To make it simple, just go with the Samsung 30Q as suggested above.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    For the cells / batteries these would be a good choice;
    Samsung 30Q 15 a CDR,, 20a if kept below 75c
    Sony / Murata VTC6 15a CDR,, 20a if kept below 80c
    LG HG2 20a CDR

All 3000 mah with sufficient CDR for up to 45w - 60w depending on cell heat.

I buy my cells from ---> Authentic AW, Sony, LG, Samsung Batteries

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    Im gonna use aegis solo with the zlide tank so im guessing its a regulated mod.also battery i saw that lg hg2 3000mah 20amp is good.Also dude lets say suppose i use the cerberus tank and its .48 ohm or smthng that range coils.can i use the mod at 40-60watt or will that cuz the battery to overheat,vent.etc.My main goal is to get the best battery for mtl with the occasional subohm.Also im noob so no flame

The LG HG2 is officially a 20 amp cell, which means stay under (20 x 3 = 60 watts). It won't perform as well, so you'd need to charge it more often and it would stress the cell a bit more, but 60 watts is within the CDR (at least as long as the cell is new and in good condition).

Actually, one of the most important factors in preventing venting (or outright explosions) is keeping an eye on the condition of the cell. Never use a cell that's physically damaged (e.g. dented from being dropped or something), that has scratches in its plastic wrap or the white insulator on the positive end, or has just done something odd. Also, don't carry it around loose - people have actually lit their pants on fire when coins or keys in their pockets shorted out a loose cell. Pick up a battery case when you get the battery and use it with any battery that's not in your mod or charger. I'd also recommend getting some battery wraps - the plastic wrap I mentioned earlier is easy to damage just using a battery normally, but it's also cheap and easy to replace.

And I'll second @UncleJunkle and @Topwater Elvis - there are a lot of counterfeit batteries around, so it's really important to buy them from somewhere reliable. It doesn't cost much, if any, more than buying them elsewhere, and it's much safer.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Funny thing is that most online vape retailers (and certianly brick and mortar retailers) seem to sell their batteries for a lot more than the battery retailers do. So there's another reason to just buy them from reputable battery trailers.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

With a regulated mod, your coil ohms or resistance doesn't make any difference to what battery you should use. What wattage you want to use makes that call.

Have a look at Mooch's recommended batteries

If you want to go up to 55 watts then the 20a LG HG2 3000mah will work.

If you want to go past 55 watts, the 25a Molicel p26A 2700mah would be a better safer, bet.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    At 25W or less at 1.6 ohms, any reputable battery that responsible vapers use will do.
    I agree... normally it's the Continuous Amp rating that is most important but with low wattage MTL it might be better to focus on mAhours... will last longer and you don't need high amp anyway. Please do go with recommended brands/vendors... lot's of re-wrapped BS out there.

Reactions: stols001

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    MTL vaping at 25 watts? That's a new one on me.:blink:

I thought that up until a few months ago. Someone else on this forum vapes MTL at 25+ watts. I'm sure there are others.

Thanks... saved that (will need new batteries soon) I also rarely need over 25 watts.

No prob.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread