Musicians check in here. If you play, tell us about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Since everything on our stage is mic'ed and I'm listening through a Shure beltpack with earbuds, my amp needs have been reduced to a minimum as long as the tone, and good usable effects are there. Once upon a time I lugged around a 4x12" Peavey and even an 8x12" Gibson amp before that. Of course, both were overkill, but it was the 70s and bigger was better on the backline!

Nowadays, I can just put a mic on it and use a tiny amp with great tone.
I am not using in ear monitors these days and we rarely mic bass and drums, but I still only generally bring a 2x10 bass cab and my guitarists use 30-40w tube combos.

The days of bringing huge steel sleds to gigs are over for me. Sold my Ampeg SVT with 810 cab and Hiwatt Custom 100 with 412 cab and bought a pair of 35lb NEO 2x10 cabs (rarely use both) and my amp weighs only about 10 lbs (tube pre and 800w poweramp).

If I get back to using in-ears, I would likely get rid of my cabs completely and just go to FOH from my preamp's DI.

Getting too old to carry all this crap! Lol

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I am not using in ear monitors these days and we rarely mic bass and drums, but I still only generally bring a 2x10 bass cab and my guitarists use 30-40w tube combos.

The days of bringing huge steel sleds to gigs are over for me. Sold my Ampeg SVT with 810 cab and Hiwatt Custom 100 with 412 cab and bought a pair of 35lb NEO 2x10 cabs (rarely use both) and my amp weighs only about 10 lbs (tube pre and 800w poweramp).

If I get back to using in-ears, I would likely get rid of my cabs completely and just go to FOH from my preamp's DI.

Getting too old to carry all this crap! Lol

I hear you about carrying equipment. Where I've played for the last 10 years is in a church where the 9:00 service is Christian Contemporary Rock. For a retired guy who still wants to play it's in my wheelhouse! I got tired of loading in and out by the mid 80s after playing Friday and Saturday night gigs where we played two different venues each weekend. Lots of equipment handling. We did a lot of that in the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

We use Ipods for individual level settings and Shure beltpacks for earbuds.. That allows me to tailor my mix like I want it and it's saved for recall. It is nice to be able to change a too loud instrument level yourself without having to get the sound booth guy involved. There's about 8 channels on the drums.

It's probably overkill, but we brought in a sound guy who did it right, including a computer analysis of our sanctuary. Once the sound profile was created they brought in some nice panels that fastened to the walls and killed reflections where the room map indicated. Before that happened you could clap your hands and the reflections sounded like a gymnasium. Now, all you hear is a normal sounding room echo that actually enhances FOH sound instead of absorbing it or bouncing it all over for a couple of seconds.

Last edited:

Skold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2016
I hear you about carrying equipment. Where I've played for the last 10 years is in a church where the 9:00 service is Christian Contemporary Rock. For a retired guy who still wants to play it's in my wheelhouse! I got tired of loading in and out by the mid 80s after playing Friday and Saturday night gigs where we played two different venues each weekend. Lots of equipment handling. We did a lot of that in the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

We use Ipods for individual level settings and Shure beltpacks for earbuds.. That allows me to tailor my mix like I want it and it's saved for recall. It is nice to be able to change a too loud instrument level yourself without having to get the sound booth guy involved. There's about 8 channels on the drums.

It's probably overkill, but we brought in a sound guy who did it right, including a computer analysis of our sanctuary. Once the sound profile was created they brought in some nice panels that fastened to the walls and killed reflections where the room map indicated. Before that happened you could clap your hands and the reflections sounded like a gymnasium. Now, all you hear is a normal sounding room echo that actually enhances FOH sound instead of absorbing it or bouncing it all over for a couple of seconds.
I used to practice in a church too & the acoustics were absolutely amazing!
I've never used an I pod for such things, I use a digital 12 track for nearly everything. It was really pricey but it has a cd recorder on it.
The sound qualities not bad at all, I connect to a PC an tailor with things a bit.
I've listened back to something that's just a practice an a bit of messing around & ended up using it as an ep.
So recording everything on my little 12 track comes in handy :)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I used to practice in a church too & the acoustics were absolutely amazing!
I've never used an I pod for such things, I use a digital 12 track for nearly everything. It was really pricey but it has a cd recorder on it.
The sound qualities not bad at all, I connect to a PC an tailor with things a bit.
I've listened back to something that's just a practice an a bit of messing around & ended up using it as an ep.
So recording everything on my little 12 track comes in handy :)

We just use the Ipod to control mix levels in our ears. I have my own channel and the rest of the band has their own channel with multi-track level bars. Some vocals and instruments I want to hear and others I'm better off to keep them low or muted.

Drums are in a see through sound enclosure. That makes a big difference when the rest of the stage sound is low and everyone on the back line has earbuds.

Prior to about 4 or 5 years ago all the sound was on stage with vocals going through the main PA. Getting the loud sound off the stage was a major step forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skold

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I dont ever play live because of stage freight,
but I make music to put online. Heres my latest project,
If you like Hip hop blended with alternative ideas, this could be for you

End of Empire, by The Cursed Kid

Stage fright is a normal part of performing. It goes away over time to the point where you get (almost) completely comfortable walking out in front of a crowd. Most of that is a result of building confidence that you can actually do it. Being well rehearsed contributes strongly to confidence.

The first gig I played at age 15 was at a local skating rink that had a Saturday night sock hop. It was bad enough having to play in front of 200 or 300 people who crowded in front of the stage and stared at you during the first song or two before starting to dance, but my amp kept going on and off. I looked around after a while and saw the rhythm player stepping back and forth on an extension cord junction connected to my amp! Between songs we fixed that and everything settled down.

It gets better the more you do it.

I liked your songs. I'll listen more when I get time. Production is good and they sound like salable material.

Reactions: BreSha6869

NoobJens007

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2016
Denmark
www.jkh-art.dk
Stage fright is a normal part of performing. It goes away over time to the point where you get (almost) completely comfortable walking out in front of a crowd. Most of that is a result of building confidence that you can actually do it. Being well rehearsed contributes strongly to confidence.

The first gig I played at age 15 was at a local skating rink that had a Saturday night sock hop. It was bad enough having to play in front of 200 or 300 people who crowded in front of the stage and stared at you during the first song or two before starting to dance, but my amp kept going on and off. I looked around after a while and saw the rhythm player stepping back and forth on an extension cord junction connected to my amp! Between songs we fixed that and everything settled down.

It gets better the more you do it.

I liked your songs. I'll listen more when I get time. Production is good and they sound like salable material.
Thank you, Ive played in bands before, but it was like 10 years ago that I played bass in front of a crowd. Being the bass player was a nice way to not draw attention to myself on stage. Ive played guitar at gigs too but often panicked if there was a guitar solo involved.

Skold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2016
Thank you, Ive played in bands before, but it was like 10 years ago that I played bass in front of a crowd. Being the bass player was a nice way to not draw attention to myself on stage. Ive played guitar at gigs too but often panicked if there was a guitar solo involved.
I used to be the same, I mean I suffer from anxiety as it is! But your confidence gets better the more you practice, I used to put my music on SoundCloud an would never dream of being in front of so many people but after a while it actually feels so good :)

Reactions: DaveP

NoobJens007

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2016
Denmark
www.jkh-art.dk
I used to be the same, I mean I suffer from anxiety as it is! But your confidence gets better the more you practice, I used to put my music on SoundCloud an would never dream of being in front of so many people but after a while it actually feels so good :)

I have some mental health problems that are under control now. It is partly why I started smoking at age 18, and then I had to leave the band I played in. Must be an awesome feeling to be confident on stage

Skold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2016
I have some mental health problems that are under control now. It is partly why I started smoking at age 18, and then I had to leave the band I played in. Must be an awesome feeling to be confident on stage
I have bipolar an aspergers syndrome, so smoking used to calm my nerves alot.
If your ever struggling though PM me, I have good undescended of mental health :)

Reactions: BreSha6869
Yeah, you could win a fight against six ninjas in an alley with that thing.

Honestly, I wish Ibby would make a seven string version of the Terra Firma. An extra high string (would be a "normal" bass A string in my case) would be nice.

I lie in wait.

I buckled... now I've got to sell the six. :rolleyes:
amiMjTg.jpg

Needs the subcontra strings put on it, of course. Gotta find someone to CNC the nut. o_O

There's a fretless version (BTB7F) that I kinda want too, because, why not?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I always ended up wracking my brain to rationalize a new purchase. I thank you for this concise reasoning!

I don't really have a reason to go guitar shopping these days other than just wanting new stuff. Still, I find myself browsing through new amp reviews and wanting to update my small amps. My old Peavy Vypyr Tube 60 needs some contact cleaning and a minor checkup. Sometimes, I hear idle mode harmonics through the speaker and have to rap it to shut it up, but it still sounds great and has never failed to get me through a gig.

I recently brought the Tube 60 home for some minor TLC maintenance and took the Roland Cube 60 back to church to play for a while. It sounded so good that I decided to leave it there and make it my main amp again! It's an amp that rivals the Peavey and still weighs about half as much. It's crystal clear in clean mode and has the amp models that produce believable crunch tones. That, and I can pick it up and carry it in one hand without leaning to balance.

Since we started micing amps and using in ear monitors the gigging world has changed a bit. I could easily use a good, full featured 15 watt amp.

I always ended up wracking my brain to rationalize a new purchase. I thank you for this concise reasoning!

Well, I actually love the sound of, and playing, fretless bass (even if I'm not great at it) so it's fully rationalized. I'm also not really a "guitar collector" as much as some of you guys probably are. If I'm not using something, I tend to just sell it. I own two guitars right now, and the two basses (including the six that I'll sell), and a ukulele. That's it. There's some cool stuff I'm eyeballing, but I've never been the type to have like ten guitars lying around "just because". When I do buy something superfluous (as in: it won't be a main workhorse), it generally brings something unique to the table as an instrument.

Sometimes you just got to go with your gut too. You can always sell something if it doesn't work out.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Well, I actually love the sound of, and playing, fretless bass (even if I'm not great at it) so it's fully rationalized. I'm also not really a "guitar collector" as much as some of you guys probably are. If I'm not using something, I tend to just sell it. I own two guitars right now, and the two basses (including the six that I'll sell), and a ukulele. That's it. There's some cool stuff I'm eyeballing, but I've never been the type to have like ten guitars lying around "just because". When I do buy something superfluous (as in it won't be a main workhorse), it generally brings something unique to the table as an instrument.

Sometimes you just got to go with your gut too. You can always sell something if it doesn't work out.

I have 9 electrics and a couple of acoustics that I've bought on sale just because the price was good. I used to trade and only keep one or two at a time and I don't buy as a collector these days.

I have a 79 Blonde Ash Strat with a maple neck that's a 25th anniversary model. I didn't know it was until a few years ago. I paid $599 for it new and I'm told it's worth about $2000 to $2500 now. The Fender serial number check says that it likely is a 25th Anniversary Strat, but a factory fire destroyed some of the serial number records for that year, so they couldn't validate it at that time through serial # files.

They are selling in that price range on Ebay.

I have 9 electrics and a couple of acoustics that I've bought on sale just because the price was good. I used to trade and only keep one or two at a time and I don't buy as a collector these days.

I have a 79 Blonde Ash Strat with a maple neck that's a 25th anniversary model. I didn't know it was until a few years ago. I paid $599 for it new and I'm told it's worth about $2000 to $2500 now. The Fender serial number check says that it likely is a 25th Anniversary Strat, but a factory fire destroyed some of the serial number records for that year, so they couldn't validate it at that time through serial # files.

They are selling in that price range on Ebay.

See, on the other side of the coin, if we were to compare our respective recording/production software libraries, I'm fairly certain I'd dwarf most of you, ha ha. :w00t:

:matrix:

I have way too much of that stuff.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
See, on the other side of the coin, if we were to compare our respective recording/production software libraries, I'm fairly certain I'd dwarf most of you, ha ha. :w00t:

:matrix:

I have way too much of that stuff.

Are you staying busy these days recording? Seems that recording studios are suffering from the software/home computer revolution. I know a few people who do electronic recording for local bands.

We are mostly work-a-day musicians who also vape. I never saw myself as a full time musician anyway, and certainly not a recording engineer. I was happy throughout the years to play a couple of gigs a week and practice one night just to learn new music to keep the set lists current. I worked a full time job as a tech rep for a large company and spent 40-45 hours a week making money to support my other interests. Now, after retirement I'm happy just to be playing in a Christian contemporary group to keep my fingers agile.

There's probably a good income in recording demos for local bands if you have the time and the desire to do that sort of thing.

I got bored with recording a few years back. I went through a phase where I bought a Tascam 8 track home studio recorder, sold it, and bought a Korg D3200 hoping to entice my friends to gather and lay down some tracks. They were excited at first, but lost interest, as did I with solo creations.

The Korg D3200 is a really nice and versatile machine for what I paid for it. It's now under a dust cover with a minimum of hours on it. I've thought about selling it. I might be able to get 1/3 to a half of the $1400 I paid for it 10 years ago. They are selling on Ebay for $500 to $800.

Shortly after I bought it the home recording world switched to computer based recording with Cakewalk, Pro Tools, and other software based recording tools.

Last edited:
Are you staying busy these days recording? Seems that recording studios are suffering from the software/home computer revolution. I know a few people who do electronic recording for local bands.

We are mostly work-a-day musicians who also vape. I never saw myself as a full time musician anyway, and certainly not a recording engineer. I was happy throughout the years to play a couple of gigs a week and practice one night just to learn new music to keep the set lists current. I worked a full time job as a tech rep for a large company and spent 40-45 hours a week making money to support my other interests. Now, after retirement I'm happy just to be playing in a Christian contemporary group to keep my fingers agile.

There's probably a good income in recording demos for local bands if you have the time and the desire to do that sort of thing.

I'm doing nothing in the way of recording. :( I moved back to Phoenix, Arizona a few years ago and the music scene sucks here. I'm trying to relocate, TBH. I really miss being in a band.

Writing and/or recording is time consuming, expensive, and a lot of work, there's no way around it. I'm an artist though, not a "player". If the only thing I could do with my instruments is play covers, I'd toss them all in the trash.

I got bored with recording a few years back. I went through a phase where I bought a Tascam 8 track home studio recorder, sold it, and bought a Korg D3200 hoping to entice my friends to gather and lay down some tracks. They were excited at first, but lost interest, as did I with solo creations.

The Korg D3200 is a really nice and versatile machine for what I paid for it. It's now under a dust cover with a minimum of hours on it. I've thought about selling it. I might be able to get 1/3 to a half of the $1400 I paid for it 10 years ago. They are selling on Ebay for $500 to $800.

Shortly after I bought it the home recording world switched to computer based recording with Cakewalk, Pro Tools, and other software based recording tools.

Yeah, unfortunately the software end of recording made a lot of that hardware stuff paperweights pretty quickly. Honestly, in most contemporary forms of music the question is, "Are you going to record drums or not?". If the answer is no, you can do a lot of damage with a good 2-channel interface, a decent computer, a good vocal mic + preamp, and a DI box. Get out your wallet if you want to do drums. You need way more channels, way more mics, pres, etc. With my last band, I just got some roughs of the shells down to disc, and really tried to capture the overheads as best as possible. Tap-to-transient the the shells, trash the audio, and sample replace. Purists whine about it, but on a limited budget, you can get FAR better results that way than a half-assed capture of the kit. It's awesome what kind of results you can get at home these days if you know what your doing. A lot of it is skill, granted, but it's skills that can be learned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread