My DIY - DSE901 - MAGNUM POWER

Status
Not open for further replies.

youfillintheblank

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Ontario, Canada
You know what, I tried 3 alkaline AAs with my mod (see tips and tricks, Easiest Cheapest and ugliest mod, I'm not sure how to link to that post) using a jumper cable to take the place of the 4th battery. It did not work well, some drags were good, some were almost nothing, some tasted burnt. I have no idea why, but 4 rechargebles works evenly and perfectly every time.

Just out of curiosity... is there some reason why you're not using the 3x (4.5v) pack that came with the Flashlight? The USB runs at a little over 5v, so I can't imagine that a 4.5v would hurt the atomizer. (I've got stacks of rechargable AAA batteries and they are much easier to find/recharge).

madog

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2008
Oregon - USA
You know what, I tried 3 alkaline AAs with my mod (see tips and tricks, Easiest Cheapest and ugliest mod, I'm not sure how to link to that post) using a jumper cable to take the place of the 4th battery. It did not work well, some drags were good, some were almost nothing, some tasted burnt. I have no idea why, but 4 rechargeable works evenly and perfectly every time.
Yeah I tried non-rechargeable too. I don't think a non-rechargeable's have the recovery for High current operation - Same thing happens in my digital camera

madog

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2008
Oregon - USA
Love the design of your unit mate, great job.

Here's something that you might like to try... You've got that handy dandy LED PC board with all the holes in it already, why not solder your resistor in two of the positive holes with a cut made with your razor knife to isolate it and run flyleads from your switch into other appropriate holes as well, that would save alot of fiddling about with soldering in tight places. the LED leads could then be soldered directly onto the PC board.

I hope you can understand what I mean from the description, I can draw it on paper easily, but my computer drawing skills are crap.
Sure you could do that - But I am a old "dead bug" inventor/engineer - If you don't know what dead bug engineering is I will try to find a picture - can get pretty wild.

spyderuk

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2008
UK
Last edited:
Those Lights you found on Ebay look perfect Spyder.
Small and Metal is all thats really needed, and tecnically, you just need a battery pack and some wire, you could mount it in anything.
I saw an Atomizer and button mounted to a Computer mouse, useing the mouses power.
I saw an atomizer sticking out of a "Rubber Duck"s mouth, with a battery pack inside.
It dosent really have to be a flashlight caseing.

spyderuk

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2008
UK
I saw an atomizer sticking out of a "Rubber Duck"s mouth, with a battery pack inside.

Would you really wanna walk down the street kissing a rubber duck?

I was glad to find what looked like an identical product that I could get shipped to the UK. I have sourced cell's, charger, led's, led mount's and resistors. Just need to find a suitable button/switch now.

I can't wait to hack into these things ;)

If someone can work out a small drip feed system for liquid into the attomizer from a small container say 2-3ml then all will be sorted lol.

tecnically, you just need a battery pack and some wire, you could mount it in anything.
I could fit a few cells into an empty Pringles tube? Maybe I could vape for a week before recharging. :)

Last edited:

billyboy689

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2008
australia
Dodomark
heres the aussie equivalent made using 2mm thick stainless steel
cos we need things made tuff in aussieland
similar ripoff to another "total" ripoff which would "screw" you
pm me and i can send you some bits n pieces or do some creative soldering for you , although i am very lazy/slack

billycig3ws0.jpg
billycig1bj9.jpg
billycig4vd8.jpg
[/quote]

scrubadub

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2008
London, UK
Great video Madog, really thorough instructions. I was given a soldering iron for Xmas and one of those torches coincidentally so I might give it a try.

I have a question for you though. At one point in the video you mention the negative connection being the rim inside the case and that the torch cuts out from time to time. I've noticed this happening with mine as well. Is this still a problem with this mod? Your commentary seems to cut out as you're explaining that bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread