Status
Not open for further replies.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Not knocking rayon but for a new builder Koh Gen Do is the easiest wick to work with imo. I prefer KGD in the long run. Wicking the Kylin Mini has a learning curve. Watch a few videos and read the thread for it here on ECF. You are going to love using rtas!

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I've been a big fan of Koh gen Do for a long time, 80 large pads from Amazon for around $12 and that's enough to last you 1-2 years depending on vaping style. I just picked up Cotton Bacon Prime and I'm very impressed, it's worth a try.

Rayon, I can't stand it. They say it has no flavor but I can taste it. It gives me a dry scratchy throat and if you get a dry hit it's the most vomit inducing experience ever. Before the Rayon Zealots jump all over me yes I gave it a good try, yes I did it right and yes I used the right Rayon (Sally's).

Bottom line is try various wicking material then settle on what works for you.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Oh and one more thing, cotton that is included in what you buy? Do yourself a favor and just toss it, most times than not the freebie cotton they include is crap and sometimes even worse than crap. That also goes for the included freebie coils and allen key/screw drivers.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Oh and one more thing, cotton that is included in what you buy? Do yourself a favor and just toss it, most times than not the freebie cotton they include is crap and sometimes even worse than crap. That also goes for the included freebie coils and allen key/screw drivers.
Keep the allen key and coils, toss the wick. Have you gotten your tools yet @christylh8?

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Keep the allen key and coils, toss the wick. Have you gotten your tools yet @christylh8?
disagree with the tools and coils, get a proper set of quality Allen Keys and Screw drivers. The coils I always toss for more times than not they're not quality coils, but what would expect for free.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
disagree with the tools and coils, get a proper set of quality Allen Keys and Screw drivers. The coils I always toss for more times than not they're not quality coils, but what would expect for free.
If she decides rebuildables is a direction she wants to go then upgrade tools. She may dislike the upkeep, some simply learn they don't want to be bothered.

christylh8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2018
Huntsville, AL
If she decides rebuildables is a direction she wants to go then upgrade tools. She may dislike the upkeep, some simply learn they don't want to be bothered.
That's true. But after dealing with inferior sub ohm coils I hope I don't want to give it up.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
Some rebuildables actually come with pretty nice freebie coils. I would hang on to them.

Not sure about the Kylin mini, bht the coils that come with the Serpent SMM are actually pretty nice. Also, I really like the Geekvape alpha-braid coils and I believe that's what is included with the Zeus.

Pretty much ANY coil in a rebuildable is going to vape better than premade coils. You might be plesantly surprised. I'm not a coil snob. Lol.

Some cheap premade coils such as Demon Killer and the like aren't great quality coils, but using even them can help you find a coil style you prefer since you have so many options with a rebuildable. I would suggest keeping the ones that come with the tank. If you are looki g for a nice assortment of coils to try different types once you find you are going to stick with rebuildables, try the Coilology assortment. Total of 42 coils for around $13-14. That number of coils should last a long time. The Geekvape assortment is also nice, has some non-standard coils in it as well. Lots of fun trying different coils.

Rebuilables open up a whole new world of vaping.

Oh yeah, agree on the KGD cotton pads, especially for a new builder. Cheap, wick well, and easy to work with. I've tried rayon and other cottons, but always come back to KGD.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
That's true. But after dealing with inferior sub ohm coils I hope I don't want to give it up.
Oh don't get me wrong those freebie coils do have their place when you're in a pinch. But they don't compare to coils made with quality wire. Stick with vendors that use real Sandvik wire. The only ones I use are -
Kidney Puncher
Atomizer Wick
Temco

The most expensive is Kidney Puncher but to put it into perspective 30 feet of Kidney Puncher wire is under $5 which is enough for well over a year of basic coils. So why waste money on poor quality wire?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I haven't tried Ken Do cotton and I hear consistently good things about it, but for me the magic wicking material was rayon. It solved ALL my wicking problems, once I figured out how to use it. Many folks still prefer cotton, but it is useful to try some different wicking materials, even if you don't buy a huge amount.... Although rayon is very cheap, so there is that. There is a long thread on rayon if you are interested you can search for it. You don't have to read the whole thread, but folks on there are very knowledgeable and helpful... They got me up and vaping without leaks with about 3 questions and 4 answer posts.

Best of luck,

Anna

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I ordered my first RTA tank today, the Kylin Mini. I'm so excited!

It's a single coil so it should be an easy build for a newbie like me.

Just wondering, what is everyone's favorite cotton and where do you get yours from?

For someone New to building their own coils, I would suggest going with Pad Cotton like Muji.

It's just So Much Easier to Fine Tune how much Cotton is being used by the Width of the Strip you cut off.

christylh8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2018
Huntsville, AL
For someone New to building their own coils, I would suggest going with Pad Cotton like Muji.

It's just So Much Easier to Fine Tune how much Cotton is being used by the Width of the Strip you cut off.
That's what I bought. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread