zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That's what I bought. :)

It is Very Easy to work with.

Just Cut a Strip about 1/4" Wide along the Fiber Direction.
Peal the Outer "Skin" Off.
Twist the End and feed it thru your Coil.

BTW - A Sucrets or a Gum/Mint Tin is Great to Hold 2 or 3 Pads at a time.

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
I've been a big fan of Koh gen Do for a long time, 80 large pads from Amazon for around $12 and that's enough to last you 1-2 years depending on vaping style. I just picked up Cotton Bacon Prime and I'm very impressed, it's worth a try.

Rayon, I can't stand it. They say it has no flavor but I can taste it. It gives me a dry scratchy throat and if you get a dry hit it's the most vomit inducing experience ever. Before the Rayon Zealots jump all over me yes I gave it a good try, yes I did it right and yes I used the right Rayon (Sally's).

Bottom line is try various wicking material then settle on what works for you.

I also detected something similar with the Rayon... I know it was the Rayon because it went away as soon as I went back to KGD.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, that's why variety is good in vaping. Honestly, I can't say I care for cotton, but it's more that shrinking feeling you get in your mouth when you actually try to "taste" some (yeah, I have chewed on cotton balls to see what they were like, and????) that, and the fact that I can't get cotton to wick for anything.... :)

But, nothing's for everyone! And, I still want to try a hemp wick someday, just because I admire its fabric qualities.

Anna

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
That's what I bought. :)
Muji is good I just prefer Koh gen Do due to the larger pads and it also seems to be fluffier, but as I stated earlier keep an open mind, be adventurous and be open to try different wicking material. My goto for a long time has been Koh gen Do but I've been trying out Cotton Bacon Prime and I've been very impressed so far. Only thing I don't like about it is like CB V2/V1 they cut it into strips, can't stand that. They should leave it into one coil for it really wastes cotton which I suspect that is why they do it. In any case it's giving my beloved Koh gen Do a challenge.

With that said tips for using cotton squares -
  1. Cut desired piece off
  2. Peel off the outer layer
  3. Gently pull apart the strip to widen it to almost but not quite twice the size (this will fluff it out more)
  4. Gently roll it up
  5. Wet fingers with water or spit to twist the ends super tight to get through the coils
  6. Once it's in the coils trim tails, take a pick or end of tweezers to thin out the tails a bit then trim again (think of cutting hair)
  7. Stuff in wick holes (I recommend dry not juiced up yet)
  8. Start priming the wick with juice with very light pulsing the coil just enough to suck the juice in
  9. Once the wick is primed give it a few hits of power then assemble, fill and vape

christylh8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2018
Huntsville, AL
Muji is good I just prefer Koh gen Do due to the larger pads and it also seems to be fluffier, but as I stated earlier keep an open mind, be adventurous and be open to try different wicking material. My goto for a long time has been Koh gen Do but I've been trying out Cotton Bacon Prime and I've been very impressed so far. Only thing I don't like about it is like CB V2/V1 they cut it into strips, can't stand that. They should leave it into one coil for it really wastes cotton which I suspect that is why they do it. In any case it's giving my beloved Koh gen Do a challenge.

With that said tips for using cotton squares -
  1. Cut desired piece off
  2. Peel off the outer layer
  3. Gently pull apart the strip to widen it to almost but not quite twice the size (this will fluff it out more)
  4. Gently roll it up
  5. Wet fingers with water or spit to twist the ends super tight to get through the coils
  6. Once it's in the coils trim tails, take a pick or end of tweezers to thin out the tails a bit then trim again (think of cutting hair)
  7. Stuff in wick holes (I recommend dry not juiced up yet)
  8. Start priming the wick with juice with very light pulsing the coil just enough to suck the juice in
  9. Once the wick is primed give it a few hits of power then assemble, fill and vape
Thank you! I was just about to ask this to the whole board and you read my mind. I think I overwicked my first cotton because the tank is leaking. And maybe I didn't use enough cotton. The deck is tiny on this little mini. Oh goodness, learning curve. :D

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Thank you! I was just about to ask this to the whole board and you read my mind. I think I overwicked my first cotton because the tank is leaking. And maybe I didn't use enough cotton. The deck is tiny on this little mini. Oh goodness, learning curve. :D
It just takes a little bit of practice. Each Tank has it's own personality but the fundamental basics are the same, just little tweaks here and there.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

christylh8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2018
Huntsville, AL
I think I am finally getting it. Took several tries to get the cotton game right. There's bottom airflow on this Kylin Mini and I'm having leaking problems. Thought I was wicking it properly but it still happens. If anyone has any experience with it, I'd love to hear.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I think I am finally getting it. Took several tries to get the cotton game right. There's bottom airflow on this Kylin Mini and I'm having leaking problems. Thought I was wicking it properly but it still happens. If anyone has any experience with it, I'd love to hear.
Maybe if you post some close-up pictures of your deck built and wicked someone will be able to suggest a plan of attack. They may see where your wicking has gone wrong and explain a remedy. Good luck to you and a little patience goes a long way.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I don't have a Kylin Mini. But I can tell by looking at the Deck that leaking could be a Problem.

26158570_518763105169545_6944831885633650688_n.jpg

There really Isn't anything to Stop e-Liquid from going down the Air Holes. Because the Air Hole are not Raised above the level of the Deck.

I would try Mounting the Coil Slightly Higher. Making sure that there is as little Cotton Touching the deck as possible.

And that the Wick Tails are Fluffed Up enough to Fill the e-Liquid inlets on both sides.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Oh don't get me wrong those freebie coils do have their place when you're in a pinch. But they don't compare to coils made with quality wire. Stick with vendors that use real Sandvik wire. The only ones I use are -
Kidney Puncher
Atomizer Wick
Temco

The most expensive is Kidney Puncher but to put it into perspective 30 feet of Kidney Puncher wire is under $5 which is enough for well over a year of basic coils. So why waste money on poor quality wire?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Super SUPER helpful. I am just starting to build so this is info is great.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
My STM mini was leaking. In my case I think I did not use enough cotton. I re-wicked and it stopped leaking.

Winblows

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2017
Copenhagen (UTC+1)
I ordered my first RTA tank today, the Kylin Mini. I'm so excited!

It's a single coil so it should be an easy build for a newbie like me.

Just wondering, what is everyone's favorite cotton and where do you get yours from?
Tanks - very personal, different and difficult.
Cotton - start with high-quality, like Koh Gen pads.
Experiment. This is the wonder of this hobby :)

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
With the Kylin Mini I used a lot of wick! To the point it was difficult to screw the chamber back on. I was worried it would flood or leak, cause of no "GTA" deck or JFC.
I must have done some thing right? Cause it's working nicely with out leaking, flooding or Dry hits :)

si24ATP.jpg

JzwCCgb.jpg

christylh8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2018
Huntsville, AL
With the Kylin Mini I used a lot of wick! To the point it was difficult to screw the chamber back on. I was worried it would flood or leak, cause of no "GTA" deck or JFC.
I must have done some thing right? Cause it's working nicely with out leaking, flooding or Dry hits :)

si24ATP.jpg

JzwCCgb.jpg
That is incredibly awesome info. I'm definitely not using as much cotton as you. I also can see I need to experiment with different coil types than the one that came with the tank. Thank you!

christylh8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2018
Huntsville, AL
I don't have a Kylin Mini. But I can tell by looking at the Deck that leaking could be a Problem.

26158570_518763105169545_6944831885633650688_n.jpg

There really Isn't anything to Stop e-Liquid from going down the Air Holes. Because the Air Hole are not Raised above the level of the Deck.

I would try Mounting the Coil Slightly Higher. Making sure that there is as little Cotton Touching the deck as possible.

And that the Wick Tails are Fluffed Up enough to Fill the e-Liquid inlets on both sides.
Fantastic advice! Thank you!

christylh8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2018
Huntsville, AL
Thank you everyone for your awesome advice. You have really helped me! And good news is that I've enjoyed having an RTA and I'm going to stick with it. It's so much easier than going through premade coil after premade coil!

One more questions, what coil do you recommend for the Kylin Mini? Right now I'm using fused Claptons with 6 wraps. I've noticed more people are using coils with spaces between the wraps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread