My progress with quitting smoking and some thoughts about vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vape1048

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2019
Gulf Coast, TX
It's late, so sorry it this doesn't come out quite as I intended, but I just wanted to share a few words about my experience with vaping compared to smoking thus far.

I really starting vaping as another way to get my fix when cigarettes were not possible due to whatever reason, but I have noticed a significant reduction in my actual smoking since I started vaping. Vaping has certainly been more enjoyable and convenient for me, and although I feel like I probably spent too much on it for a beginner, I can't feel too bad about that. I think of all the bad stuff that I haven't taken into my body since I started vaping. It's funny because years ago I used e-cigs for work because it was difficult to actually take a smoke break; back then I didn't think much of vaping since e-cigs are weak and nowhere near as satisfying as the real thing. But since a friend of mine got me into vaping, I have seen myself drop down from a pack to a pack and a half a day, to maybe a pack every two weeks of actual cigs. That's a big deal to me since I have a somewhat addictive personality. Although I have not fully kicked the habit and still finding myself craving cigarettes once every day or so, here's a few things I have already noticed that have been significant.

1.) Since I began vaping I have noticed that smoking seems... weird. It's almost like I can't remember how to smoke. When I try, my drags feel so weak and off, like I'm not inhaling near as much as I used to.

2.) It takes a lot less to satisfy me. I don't think I have smoked a whole cig since I began vaping. Now it's like... 3-5 drags and I'm good. Back on track, back to the vape.

3.) After only a month, I physically feel better. I breathe better, I have more energy, and I feel like my insides are cleaner.... yeah that sounds weird but idk how else to explain it.

4.) I enjoy vaping a lot more. It's fun to blow out big clouds, not to mention how awesome the flavors are that are not tobacco flavored.

So while I can't say I am fully over the smoking hump, I am definitely on the right track. I'm almost 30, and I starting smoking at 14 years old, so that's a lot of years of ingrained habit to get rid of. But, for the first time in my life, I feel like I am on the right track. I don't think anything else could have done this for me. I'm not sure how long it'll take before I stop smoking completely, but at least I feel like I have some control now, in addition to a healthier way to deal with the stress of every day life. Not to mention I really do enjoy vaping. It's a lot more fun, and I find the crowd that vapes to be much more savory... anyway.... wish my luck all. I am sure ya'll will be here to help me get to the point where I feel safe no longer buying any tobacco products!

Last edited:

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
N.N., Virginia
@Vape1048 Good luck with quitting. You can do it.

Seven years ago, I was about where you are now. A couple of weeks after I started vaping, I had cut down from 2 cartons a week to 2 packs a week. One afternoon a week later I was almost out of cigarettes. I was just plain too lazy to run to the store and decided, screw it I don't need them anymore. I haven't smoked since.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't easy. For the first few weeks, I was never really satisfied, and I had A LOT of cravings. I started with 18mg juice in a cig-a-like. Someone here suggested trying some 24mg juice. That made life a lot easier. I still had a craving every once in a while for several months, but eventually they stopped.

Whatever happens, don't stop vaping and don't give up on quitting smoking.

Vape1048

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2019
Gulf Coast, TX
Thanks for the votes of confidence all! I'm taking it day by day... I only smoked one today, and that was spread out over a 12 hour period. That's a win for sure!

@Vape1048 Good luck with quitting. You can do it.

Seven years ago, I was about where you are now. A couple of weeks after I started vaping, I had cut down from 2 cartons a week to 2 packs a week. One afternoon a week later I was almost out of cigarettes. I was just plain too lazy to run to the store and decided, screw it I don't need them anymore. I haven't smoked since.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't easy. For the first few weeks, I was never really satisfied, and I had A LOT of cravings. I started with 18mg juice in a cig-a-like. Someone here suggested trying some 24mg juice. That made life a lot easier. I still had a craving every once in a while for several months, but eventually they stopped.

Whatever happens, don't stop vaping and don't give up on quitting smoking.

When I got my first (inherited) vape up and running, a guy at the shop recommended I try to stick with 6 mg juices. For the most part it has worked fine since I smoke "cheap" cigarettes only available at certain stores. I think they likely had a lot less nicotine in them than say, a Camel or a Marlboro does. Although for worse days, I do keep a few 8-12 mg juices in my work locker just in case lol. I've never even seen a 24! :O

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Vape1048, Don't worry about a cigarette here and there. Vape often and let the vape take the cigs away. One day you will decide not to buy the next pack and you will be cured. The nicotine you get from the vape is the key. The rest of the cigarette habit is mostly just that, a habit.

I wish that vaping had emerged when I was younger. I might have avoided 40 years of smoking. I'm 9 years out from my last cigarette and don't even think about them (thanks to vaping).

Welcome to ECF!

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
When I got my first (inherited) vape up and running, a guy at the shop recommended I try to stick with 6 mg juices. For the most part it has worked fine since I smoke "cheap" cigarettes only available at certain stores. I think they likely had a lot less nicotine in them than say, a Camel or a Marlboro does. Although for worse days, I do keep a few 8-12 mg juices in my work locker just in case lol. I've never even seen a 24!

I quit my 42+ year 1 - 1 1/2 pack a day habit while vaping a total of only 10mL of 11mg eliquids, and the rest were all 6mg. So quitting definitely can be accomplished with the lower mg eliquids like you're using, too. Many people also keep a few somewhat higher mg eliquids for when the cravings hit harder, like you're doing with the 8-12mg ones. What "works" for each person is a very individual thing. Seems like what you're doing now has you on the right track. Good luck! :thumbs:

Last edited:

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA

Thanks for that post, I'm sure that is common with many others. The reality is that you finally reached a point where your laziness or comfort was more important than having a pack of smokes. That was the day you became a ex-smoker that had higher priorities in your life than smoking. The power of smoking had lost it's hold with you thanks to an alternative like vaping.

During my smoking years I couldn't have imagined me not having smokes nearby. If I screwed up and found I was down to my last few at 2:00AM, well, it was get dressed and down to the convenience store for some more. It was a top priority in my life.

So it's really good to hear that even folks that just want to try vaping, maybe with the slim possibility of quitting smoking can have vaping sneak up on the smoking habit and usurp it from the top your priority list. Just like it did for me. So gratz and well said.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Thanks for that post, I'm sure that is common with many others. The reality is that you finally reached a point where your laziness or comfort was more important than having a pack of smokes. That was the day you became a ex-smoker that had higher priorities in your life than smoking. The power of smoking had lost it's hold with you thanks to an alternative like vaping.

During my smoking years I couldn't have imagined me not having smokes nearby. If I screwed up and found I was down to my last few at 2:00AM, well, it was get dressed and down to the convenience store for some more. It was a top priority in my life.

So it's really good to hear that even folks that just want to try vaping, maybe with the slim possibility of quitting smoking can have vaping sneak up on the smoking habit and usurp it from the top your priority list. Just like it did for me. So gratz and well said.

That’s me, I just wanted to try vaping for the times when smoking was inconvenient. My mil was in the hospital so we got her a Blu. I tried it, bad as it was, and thought it could sub for a smoke in the winter (I didn’t want to have to go outside in the cold).

And mil took to it right off, and if she could, I knew I could. I bought a little kit and the first day I only had 4-5 cigarettes.

My SIL and husband were impressed and asked me to get them kits too. Within a week or two, SIL and I were not smoking at all and my husband was down to a few a day.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
I use 3 or 6ml. If the vape I inhale doesn't seem to kick the craving I hold it in my mouth and release it a bit at a time and draw it in through my nose.
Sounds crazy but that method gives me a little nic buzz and thwarts the cigarette craving.

Sounds like you've got the tiger by the tail and little by little it is putting up a lot less fight. One day you'll be able to declare total victory. Until then don't sweat it.

• Love
Reactions: Possum64

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
N.N., Virginia
I hate(love) threads like this. Even after seven years, when I think about quitting, I get a little emotional. I can still tell you the exact date and time that I lit my last cigarette, as well as exactly where I was, and what I was doing.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Gosh I can't. But yes, vaping van be a wonderful thing, good luck on switching completely.

You will start to experience a sensory world of which you may have no concept of or remember, if you have smoked long enough. Then the health benefits trickle in.

I do not believe dual use really reduces overall risk, and there are many studies that support this, actually. While I'm tempted to be encouraging and say that every cigarette less is a victory (and it is) it is not unit tobacco use halts completely that all the great stuff happens. And that was certainly my experience I dual used for years before quitting, although I guess to be fair I had given up on dual use before I nearly got COPD and went "F this, I'm quitting."

I'm fairly sure I'd be on any oxygen tank by now if I had not quit.

Good luck.

Anna

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: mintymints

basilia

Moved On
May 24, 2019
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Spam
Status
Not open for further replies.