My Steeping process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malarkey

Oct 7, 2013
Georgia
I want to share my steeping process and let some of the more experienced people here let me know what they think.

First thing is I use an Ultrasonic Cleaner this is the model I use Amazon.com: Hagerty Digital True Ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaner Machine: Health & Personal Care

It has a 3-59 minute timer and has been working quite well for me so far.

So this is my process. Start with 5ml sample of new mix. Run through UC 2 59 minute cycles then leave cap off overnight to evaporate some of the alcohol. Next morning starts day 1 of a week normal steeping capped on. I shake the bottle here and there and smell check it. After week 1 I run 2 more 59 minute cycles with a small rest in between and then its good to go. I have noticed that if I use the UC along with a good week normal steep that the flavors combine better than just running it through the UC a couple of times. I figure with this method I get almost a month and a half of steeping in a weeks time. Also using technology along with good ole fashioned steeping, to me, makes for a better finished product.
I am interested to hear some thoughts and opinions on this so feel free to set your keyboard free. :p

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I will make note of your process, and give it a run... thanks for posting it. I have been using both the natural and hot bath steeping systems in LDPE plastic 5 & 10ml, glass 30ml, but wanted to get into UC to greatly shorten the process. So I have done a lot of reading about UC steeping recently. One exception to your system I picked up on from other threads is processing the bottles with the lids off in the UC for rapid steeping, hot water bath and breathing the liquid all at the same time. Means having bottles that will not float and an basket to contain them at the right level I'd guess.

Danny's steeping blog that I stumbled into a few days ago is worth a read if you haven't read it. It can be seen here: Everything-you-wanted-know-about-steeping-then-some.

I've read many noteworthy comments while reading about UC steeping in several threads and this blog. They included to not buy too cheap, get a commercial grade UC..., that you'd want a convenient size, get higher wattage, a timer, a heater, a removeable basket, etc. So I decided to look in the $100-$300 price range, and contacted Danny direct for a suggection of which brands/models of UC's to look at in that price range. He said his answer was an easy one. I ordered the same one he uses, and it was at the low end of my price range as a bonus. Have it coming from Amazon (should be here any day now). It is 135W, has a 1-30min timer, heater, 2.1 quart tank, plastic basket and was bought for $99 delivered (Joy4Less Professional Grade Ultrasonic Cleaner 4810).

Also meant ordering another 4 dozen amber glass bottles (15ml & 30ml) for starters to go along with all the glass 30ml I already have to use in the UC. I am also thinking about ordering 50 glass 5ml just for test batches to replace the LDPE 5 & 10ml I have been using for them. I could use the new glass 15ml for that, but have other plans for them.

Have been holding off this week on mixing any of the new test batches I have waiting, or to replace the ADV's that are running low... they will be my test vehicles in the UC soon as it gets here. Can hardly wait to try this all out.

EDIT TO ADD... I see Danny checked in while I was gone on a break while typing this. So +2. :)

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Danny has seed steeping in his blog so I don't have anything to add.

I was debating about adding breast steeping to my blog where you make your girl friend tuck a bottle in her bra and walk around with it for the day but I though that was carrying it a bit to far. But it is my favorite.

Malarkey

Oct 7, 2013
Georgia
Oh okay I wasn't aware of seed steeping that's really good information, thank you very much. In regards to the Ultrasonic Cleaner, the model that I posted, while it might be on the smaller side, is giving me really good results. An hour timer and it heats the water but doesn't get it too hot. I can't wait to try out some of the recipes here, I have three going right now of my own. If any of them turn out good I'll be sure to post them.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
That is funny and also carries a high potential of getting slapped upon asking. :D

I though about asking a complete stranger to do it. But decided not to because I don't think I can't afford the bail bond and explaining to my wife why she needs to bail me out of jail may be physically painful:)

Last edited:

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I though about asking a complete stranger to do it. But decided not to because I don't think I can't afford the bail bond and explaining to my wife why she needs to bail me out of jail may be physically painful:)

Lovely ladies that are total strangers would be up to the task in my city no problem... all you'd have to do is ask - it's about as loose as it gets here where anything goes. I haven't had a wife for over 11 years... so I'm in for some field testing Danny if you write the blog (could probably even get step by step pictures). ;)

DasBluCig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2013
Chichester, NH
Lovely ladies that are total strangers would be up to the task in my city no problem... all you'd have to do is ask - it's about as loose as it gets here where anything goes. I haven't had a wife for over 11 years... so I'm in for some field testing Danny if you write the blog (could probably even get step by step pictures). ;)

RIGHT!!!
PICTURES......or it DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!!:D

williebb123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2010
Mount Shasta California
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread