NarDA clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
My NarDA clone showed up yesterday, but I do not have a verdict for this rda yet.

The machining is nice, and the rda is beautiful. The tolerances are a tiny bit too tight on the cap and for the drip tip, but with some lube, they are fine. I have not had a problem with plating on the screws

My trepidation in recommending this is due to the the quality of vape and ease of use and building.

I am not an expert in building, but on all of my other RDAs I have been able to examine them, and determine how to build them to suit my tastes. This one has me scratching my head a bit.

Build #1 was a large micro coil centered between the air flow holes. I was not getting much flavor and I was getting tons of spitback. Build #2 was a large spaced coil running diagonally. The flavor was much better, but the spitback was intolerable. My tongue is burned a little.

Build #3 is dual 2.5mm id coils. Building it was much more difficult than my other attys. The flavor is great, but I am still getting a bit of spitback. It may be that my tongue is a bit sensitive this afternoon from getting burned earlier today, but I am not sure. I will update everyone after I vape on this for another couple days.

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

--SaL--

Mar 23, 2016
Still waiting on mine...

Interesting read @jjatl. Here's a few useful guides that I've unearthed here and here. There's a small handful of YouTube videos out there too if you've not seen them yet :)

Edit: read this guy's take on the brass screws; plus, he goes into a lot depth in a nicely done article.

Last edited:

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
Still waiting on mine...

Interesting read @jjatl. Here's a few useful guides that I've unearthed here and here. There's a small handful of YouTube videos out there too if you've not seen them yet :)

Edit: read this guy's take on the brass screws; plus, he goes into a lot depth in a nicely done article.

Thanks for the links. I read those and every other build tutorial that I could find for the NarDa last night after my first build was a failure. I have no clue how those guys are vaping with the coil in the center like that. The amount of spitback I had with both a single center coil and with a single diagonal coil was incredible. I have never had an issue with spitback like that before, and the only thing I could think to do was to move the coil from the center.

Edit: thanks for posting the thread from FT. I did not see that one last night. I like that guy's 2mm coils better than my 2.5mm coils. I think I will try the smaller diameter coils next time.

Last edited:
Reactions: --SaL--

Brandon David

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
While I don't usually piddle in the clone market, I've been needing to pick up a good single coil dripper to use on lower powered beater mods. The narda struck my fancy but I'm not paying the going rate for an authentic and it'll be awhile before a second hand one can be picked up on the cheap. So, I decided, why the hell not for $15.

I got it in today and gave it a thorough washing. There was no scent of machine oil and the machining is actually VERY nice. I was rough on the screws to watch for the reported peeling but they were fine. I'll keep an eye on them, however. On to my thoughts-- excuse the dirty finger nails...I'd just gotten in from work and hadn't showered/cleaned up as of yet. Also, the pics are potato but I'm not a photographer.

I was an avid Veritas user for a long time and am very use to awkward build situations. I give this guy an 8/10. I had it built, wicked and boogying in 10 minutes flat after cleaning. I found this extremely simple but could see how some people would struggle since everything has post holes now and newer people aren't used to trapping wire with a screw. I chose a quick, basic 3mm ID 22g single coil and laid it a bit diagonally in the deck. I kept it slightly raised so the airflow would hit under the coil a tad bit but just low enough to clear the topcap by a few mm. It's hard to tell from the angle, but the airflow was cleared of all cotton with a small screwdriver so there won't be any interference or potential leaks.

IMG_20160330_175827368_zpsmlyzsv4o.jpg

The simple build came out to .46 ohms. I was looking for .5 so close enough. It gets down pretty nice at 35 watts.

IMG_20160330_175929030_zpsizh4gitp.jpg

I'd say it looks pretty dang good on the beater box with the supplied tip.

IMG_20160330_180139588_zpsvqo5f81z.jpg

However, with the high coil, the topcap gets hot quick so I popped a dotmod tip on it. Still not too shabby but damn the mod needs a wipe down after today.

IMG_20160330_180718386_zpshyshmwxn.jpg

All in all, I dig it. The fit and finish was stellar and tolerances tight. The flavor is exceptionally good and the draw is right in my wheelhouse as I like airflow a bit restricted on a single coil atty.

Last edited:

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
While I don't usually piddle in the clone market, I've been needing to pick up a good single coil dripper to use on lower powered beater mods. The narda struck my fancy but I'm not paying the going rate for an authentic and it'll be awhile before a second hand one can be picked up on the cheap. So, I decided, why the hell not for $15.

I got it in today and gave it a thorough washing. There was no scent of machine oil and the machining is actually VERY nice. I was rough on the screws to watch for the reported peeling but they were fine. I'll keep an eye on them, however. On to my thoughts-- excuse the dirty finger nails...I'd just gotten in from work and hadn't showered/cleaned up as of yet. Also, the pics are potato but I'm not a photographer.

I was an avid Veritas user for a long time and am very use to awkward build situations. I give this guy an 8/10. I had it built, wicked and boogying in 10 minutes flat after cleaning. I found this extremely simple but could see how some people would struggle since everything has post holes now and newer people aren't used to trapping wire with a screw. I chose a quick, basic 3mm ID 22g single coil and laid it a bit diagonally in the deck. I kept it slightly raised so the airflow would hit under the coil a tad bit but just low enough to clear the topcap by a few mm. It's hard to tell from the angle, but the airflow was cleared of all cotton with a small screwdriver so there won't be any interference or potential leaks.

IMG_20160330_175827368_zpsmlyzsv4o.jpg

The simple build came out to .46 ohms. I was looking for .5 so close enough. It gets down pretty nice at 35 watts.

IMG_20160330_175929030_zpsizh4gitp.jpg

I'd say it looks pretty dang good on the beater box with the supplied tip.

IMG_20160330_180139588_zpsvqo5f81z.jpg

However, with the high coil, the topcap gets hot quick so I popped a dotmod tip on it. Still not too shabby but damn the mod needs a wipe down after today.

IMG_20160330_180718386_zpshyshmwxn.jpg

All in all, I dig it. The fit and finish was stellar and tolerances tight. The flavor is exceptionally good and the draw is right in my wheelhouse as I like airflow a bit restricted on a single coil atty.
I tried a build almost identical to that but I was getting massive spitback - way more than I had ever experienced. What is your secret?

Brandon David

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
No secret, really. There's no cotton directly under the coil and it's raised up a bit right under the tip but I'm not getting any spitback. Idk, bud. Did you have any of the cotton touching the airflow holes? If so, juice will get trapped in the edge and you'll suck it right into your mouth when you take a toot.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Reactions: --SaL--

freedogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
Erie,Pa
Excessive spitback can be caused by the amount of wick in the coil, usually too much.

I have a bottom fed NarDA coming today for a REO p67 and can't wait to take her for a spin. Some people are having good luck with fat (3.5-4mm ID), spaced coils. Don't know what build I'm going to use yet, but I have a couple hours before the mailman gets here!!

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
Excessive spitback can be caused by the amount of wick in the coil, usually too much.

Thanks for the info! I will have to try a large single coil diagonally again, and see if I can tune the wicking and get rid of the spitback.

So far I am digging the dual coils now that it is built though.

Last edited:

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Stuck a 5mm ID spaced single coil in mine and am loving it, running it at 0.41ohm on an unregulated squonker. Fat Daddy M3 BF pin fits the $15 clone from FT, just needs grinding down a bit.
Grinding FD squonk pins is always fun. If you don't grind it plumb, your squonk will spooge out of your 510 well.

Reactions: J_B_86

J_B_86

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2013
QLD, Australia
Grinding FD squonk pins is always fun. If you don't grind it plumb, your squonk will spooge out of your 510 well.

Yeah the threaded part doesn't matter too much but the head definitely needs to be fairly flat, I just use sandpaper to even it out.

Reactions: WharfRat1976

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
No secret, really. There's no cotton directly under the coil and it's raised up a bit right under the tip but I'm not getting any spitback. Idk, bud. Did you have any of the cotton touching the airflow holes? If so, juice will get trapped in the edge and you'll suck it right into your mouth when you take a toot.

I tried a single coil again with no luck. I tried playing with the amount of wick and I made sure that the cotton was not touching the air inlets. I still was getting tons of super hot juice splashing me on the tongue. With that said, all is not lost....

Edit: thanks for posting the thread from FT. I did not see that one last night. I like that guy's 2mm coils better than my 2.5mm coils. I think I will try the smaller diameter coils next time.

I replaced my dual 2.5mm setup with dual 2mm coils and it is fantastic!!! The flavor is great.

The dual coil build which completely kicked my .... last time was MUCH easier - 15min vs 1hr+. The secret for building the dual coils is to tightly wrap 1 lead from coil #1 around around screw #1 and secure it down leaving the other leg loose. Then do the same for coil #2 wrapping 1 leg tightly around screw #2 and tightening it down. Then trapping the second lead from each coil is much easier.

I also agree with earlier comments that for M2L or a restricted lung hit, you should run dual coils.

Final Verdict:
This is a great RDA. It has a large well, outstanding flavor, is not messy, and is built and machined beautifully.
The only con for me is that I have to run dual coils for the vape I want, and I typically prefer single coil builds. With that said, rebuilding the NarDA is not difficult once you have done it once or twice.

I recommend it!

Last edited:

Brandon David

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I tried a single coil again with no luck. I tried playing with the amount of wick and I made sure that the cotton was not touching the air inlets. I still was getting tons of super hot juice splashing me on the tongue. With that said, all is not lost....

I rebuilt my dual 2.5mm setup with dual 2mm coils and it is fantastic!!! The flavor is great.

The dual coil build which completely kicked my .... last time was MUCH easier - 15min vs 1hr+. The secret for building the dual coils is to tightly wrap 1 lead from coil #1 around around screw #1 and secure it down leaving the other leg loose. Then do the same for coil #2 wrapping 1 leg tightly around screw #2 and tightening it down. Then trapping the second lead from each coil is much easier.

I also agree with earlier comments that for M2L or a restricted lung hit, you should run dual coils.

Final Verdict:
This is a great RDA. It has a large well, outstanding flavor, is not messy, and is built and machined beautifully.
The only con for me is that I have to run dual coils for the vape I want, and I typically prefer single coil builds. With that said, rebuilding the NarDA is not difficult once you have done it once or twice.

I recommend it!
Huh. You've got me then. Still no spitback here. :shrug:

Glad you found a build that works. I ended up not rebuilding mine. It's just too good to screw with right now.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Reactions: jjatl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread