Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia
The only ideas I can add to the speculative filtration is by centrifuge, which would rely on the particulate matter being heavier than the PG; or by using very fine filters and using air pressure to push it through. I am no chemist, but there could be chemical means of removing particles, like in home-brewed beer for example, I think they call it clearing agent or similar. Not saying to use that for PG/VG, just using it as a chemical example of making a liquid clearer.

MikeNice81

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2014
NC
I just tossed a sampler in the cart over at MVJ. I won't be ordering it for a couple of weeks, at least. Here it is though.

Flavor 1 CAO Italia Cigar vape
Flavor 2 Gurkha Legend 2001 Cigar Vape
Flavor 3 Ramon Bueso Genesis The Project Cigar Vape
Flavor 4 Arganese Maduro Cigar Vape
Flavor 5 Cohiba Red Dot Cigar Vape
Flavor 6 5 Vegas Series A Cigar VapeP

Plus 17mls of STP Nicarao Havana Sun Grown

How long should I let the stuff set before vaping. Diane recommends 7 - 10 days minimum. Should I be looking at 14 or 30 days minimum for best results?

Also, is there another company besides Ahlusion or MVJ selling pre-steeped net?

Last edited:

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
I wonder if part of the reason Diane's new NETs are so clear is because they are cigar extractions. I have a feeling many cigars produce a lighter extract than pipe tobacco. Dagwood was the lightest of my RBFS, almost clear when received and still pretty light in color.

So maybe her results are a combo of using cigars, going light in the mix, and a multi-stage filtering process.

Dustmight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Detroit, MI USA
I suspect there's some sort of new-fangled Wizardry afoot in MVJ extractions. I've not received my order yet, but having just finished my own heat extract of a connecticut wrapper cigar (Ghurkha Beauty), I don't see how it can be as clear as you all say and still retain sufficient flavor by just cold steeping alone. I suspect color has a lot to do with the oil content of the tobacco. A maduro wrapper cigar is certainly going to have a deeper color than a connecticut, but even the lightest of leaf imparts some color to the most filtered of extracts.

salparadise13

Nov 3, 2010
NC
Even with all the accolades, I'm not digging the Poet and Scholar liquid. I can taste the honey but the cigar is a little bit of a "wet dog" flavor to me. It just goes to show how much taste is subjective (so don't go just off my reviews!!)

I'm in the same boat. I've been trying to like it, but there's a weirdness to it. "Wet dog" seems pretty accurate for my taste buds. I'm having a similar issue w Honey Cured from Ahlusion. Honestly, it tastes almost exactly like Gold Rising to me. I really liked Gold Rising initially, but then it got a flat soda taste to it that I couldn't get past. Anyway, I like Pirate's and Dagwood much better from RBFS.

Big Juicy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Placentia, CA
I received a coupon from "Nirvana Vapor," whose whole motif and juice names are ridiculously horrible IMHO...but a coupon for an NET line they are carrying called "True Leaf Vapor. True Leaf specifically uses the term "naturally extracted tobacco" and their description is:

"Tobacco flavored E-juice doesn't get any more authentic than this! Using a proprietary extraction process, True Leaf has captured the true essence of tobacco flavor. For those who are just quitting smoking or just enjoy the natural flavor of tobacco, True Leaf is for YOU!"

If your ears perked up in a nervous and skeptical way at the term "proprietary extraction process" you are not alone. Also, their descriptions on the website are pretty sparse, which always bother me. Tell me specifically what is in this juice please! They also don't specify what the ml is per bottle, which also is maddening, but at a price point of $14.99 I fear it is 15 ML which would put it in the seemingly "new standard" of a $1 per ml we are all disappointed in out there.

Anyone know anything about this True Leaf Vapor?

Oh...the coupon code for 10% off at Nirvana Vapor is TLV10

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
I received a coupon from "Nirvana Vapor," whose whole motif and juice names are ridiculously horrible IMHO...but a coupon for an NET line they are carrying called "True Leaf Vapor. True Leaf specifically uses the term "naturally extracted tobacco" and their description is:

"Tobacco flavored E-juice doesn't get any more authentic than this! Using a proprietary extraction process, True Leaf has captured the true essence of tobacco flavor. For those who are just quitting smoking or just enjoy the natural flavor of tobacco, True Leaf is for YOU!"

If your ears perked up in a nervous and skeptical way at the term "proprietary extraction process" you are not alone. Also, their descriptions on the website are pretty sparse, which always bother me. Tell me specifically what is in this juice please! They also don't specify what the ml is per bottle, which also is maddening, but at a price point of $14.99 I fear it is 15 ML which would put it in the seemingly "new standard" of a $1 per ml we are all disappointed in out there.

Oh...the coupon code for 10% off at Nirvana Vapor is TLV10

Oooo thanks for the info!

I think True Leaf is the Cali brand of NET that Rpad mentioned a bit back?

Other than windfall, which doesn't list which tobaccos are used, just that it's several, the rest of the descriptions look pretty good. An English blend, gold leaf and Perique, and a flue cured and Turkish.

Sadly, I don't see the ml size either, which is either an odd oversight or blatant attempt to hide the actual cost per ml.

I'm sure not going to jump on this one. All on you BJ, whoever spies it buys it.

RPadTV

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Planet Awesome
www.rpad.tv

Nirvana and True Leaf are the same company, just different brands. The maker is in SoCal and his Nirvana line has been getting some nice buzz. I was given two of the flavors at a recent store opening and was surprised by the originality. I'm interested in True Leaf. Obviously I'm a NET fan, but I'm curious to see how the company performs regionally. NETs are not very popular in the SoCal vape shops and there are a ton of juices companies in SoCal. I hope True Leaf gets the locals to understand that tobacco e-liquids go way beyond Halo.

Also, I'm supposed to interview the owner soon. :)

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Nirvana and True Leaf are the same company, just different brands. The maker is in SoCal and his Nirvana line has been getting some nice buzz. I was given two of the flavors at a recent store opening and was surprised by the originality. I'm interested in True Leaf. Obviously I'm a NET fan, but I'm curious to see how the company performs regionally. NETs are not very popular in the SoCal vape shops and there are a ton of juices companies in SoCal. I hope True Leaf gets the locals to understand that tobacco e-liquids go way beyond Halo.

Also, I'm supposed to interview the owner soon. :)

Ah, RPad, I count on you to be the man who knows the skinny, insofar as a skinny exists that can be ferreted out.

And yes, what you reported awhile back and reiterated today still bothers me, namely, that SoCal is so far behind the NET curve, and---even more disturbing---that Halo is considered there to be the quintessential tobacco eliquid. Jeez, that gives me the heebie-jeebies and serves as more evidence that Southern California is indeed La La Land.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
I don't see the ml size either, which is either an odd oversight or blatant attempt to hide the actual cost per ml.

Yes, NirvanaVapor lists optional bottle sizes for its non-NET juices. The fact that no bottle size is stated for the four NETs is a serious omission. I don't care whether it's an oversight or a manipulation---in my book, not telling the customer up front how much liquid a given price buys is a hanging offense for any retail juice vendor. Where's Judge Roy Bean when we need him?

Last edited:

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
So the question remains: What is Diane doing to produce extracts that are so pale as to be almost colorless, and whose effects on coils/wick are closer to synthetically flavored liquids than typical NETs?

She might be skimming before the extract is filtered. You know when your extracting, before you stir the tobacco each day, it's clear on top and the tobacco is sitting on the bottom. After a month or so, when your ready to filter, you skim this clear liquid of the top with suction. Then you squeeze the tobacco that's left into a different container. This second batch is filtered several times and then combined with the skimmed batch. Then it's filtered again.

That's how it's done for home extraction. I'm sure Diane has a more professional method.

BTW. This home method may help with gunking coils. IDK. Never really made a comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread