Status
Not open for further replies.

BecknCO

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2013
Denver, CO
Speaking of learning - the GJ4 is now a little over two weeks steeped and has lost all the eggy/custardy type flavor I was orginally getting (along with a little bitterness to be fair). Now I get a definite sweet mixture of what is mostly caramel and maybe a little vanilla upfront and a definite tobacco/bad breath (but in a good way lol) taste on the exhale. It's actually really hard to put down with my whisky. I haven't revisted Vita Bella yet, but plan to do so tomorrow. Jerms and other non-noob-netizens= 1, Beck = 0 :vapor:

Last edited:

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
Speaking of learning - the GJ4 is now a little over two weeks steeped and has lost all the eggy/custardy type flavor I was orginally getting (along with a little bitterness to be fair). Now I get a definite sweet mixture of what is mostly caramel and maybe a little vanilla upfront and a definite tobacco/bad breath (but in a good way lol) taste on the exhale. It's actually really hard to put down with my whisky. I haven't revisted Vita Bella yet, but plan to do so tomorrow. Jerms and other non-net-noobs 1, Beck = 0 :vapor:

tobacco/bad breath lol. I think I know what you mean. GeJ maceration have this bready/funky flavor that is 1 part kind of gross but 10 parts really good. It's the GeJ signature to me, and I like it. All that I've had seem to have it except the Fire Cured, which doesn't fit in with the other GeJ NETs but is really good in a different way.

y cherry y

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Ypsilanti, MI
Tobacco/bad breath lol. I think I know what you mean. GeJ maceration have this bready/funky flavor that is 1 part kind of gross but 10 parts really good. It's the GeJ signature to me, and I like it. All that I've had seem to have it except the Fire Cured, which doesn't fit in with the other GeJ NETs but is really good in a different way.

I know exactly what you mean, and "bready" is the perfect word for it. I only notice it in GJ4 and Vita, but I REALLY notice it -- to the point that I just don't like those two anymore. I don't think they've changed anything; pretty sure it's just me and changing taste. I hope to god that doesn't happen with Smooth Criminal or JG, 'cause I have a LOT of it!

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
I know exactly what you mean, and "bready" is the perfect word for it. I only notice it in GJ4 and Vita, but I REALLY notice it -- to the point that I just don't like those two anymore. I don't think they've changed anything; pretty sure it's just me and changing taste. I hope to god that doesn't happen with Smooth Criminal or JG, 'cause I have a LOT of it!

Those two it's really noticable in, but I also got it from Natural Perique and just a tiny bit in Patriot. That's about all my GeJ experience, so I may find more don't have it for me than Fire Cured. I can see it getting old, anything that is a combo of gross and good to where the gross is still kind of good, that kind of thing can turn on a person.

I'll never be one to order huge jugs because I just never know when something will turn on me or I become bored with it. Even Smooth Crim it'll happen with, even if I can't see it now. Would hate to order two 60ml bottles and realizing after 5ml I'm done with this juice. Would make great gifts at least.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
Hey jerms is fire cured I read is a spicy pipe flavor? Is that how you would describe it? Can you give me the link to your review

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think I reviewed it. From what I remember, it was a very potent tobacco, at least while it was fresh. Spicy would work I guess.. smoky with a real tobacco bite. Campfire type smokiness.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I don't think I reviewed it. From what I remember, it was a very potent tobacco, at least while it was fresh. Spicy would work I guess.. smoky with a real tobacco bite (yes). Campfire type smokiness (yes, yes!!!).

Fiery. :laugh: I guess Fire Cured should be no less.

papabogart

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
Satis, Faction
My experience with GeJ Fire Cured is that it was very aggressive when fresh, but tamer as it aged, eventually becoming docile and toothless. I liked FC best when it was fresh.

Bill,

Speaking of aging, how long are your extracts (bases) lasting before they loose their tooth?

Would like your input too, Johni.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
My experience with GeJ Fire Cured is that it was very aggressive when fresh, but tamer as it aged, eventually becoming docile and toothless. I liked FC best when it was fresh.

Well, there's that too. What bill has said is not hyperbole (in case anyone is reading this and thinking so). If you try it and it's too lively, just wait cause it won't be after a month or more. If you buy it and love it, vape it like it won't be there tomorrow--it just might not be.

johni

Extractor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Columbia, Missouri
Bill,

Speaking of aging, how long are your extracts (bases) lasting before they loose their tooth?

Would like your input too, Johni.

The stuff I made in September seems better now. Definitely no loss of potency yet. I'm glad because my usual batch yields 80 to 100 ml.:)

papabogart

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
Satis, Faction
The stuff I made in September seems better now. Definitely no loss of potency yet. I'm glad because my usual batch yields 80 to 100 ml.:)

That's 80-100ml base? Which would be 250-500ml or so of vaping e-liquid (depending on ratio of base to unflavored pg/vg), correct? The reason (beyond general interest) I ask is that I'm about to purchase a number of Periques from different sources (some are Accadian (can't find any source for pure St James), some may be just Green River or just common Burley) for extraction and want to compare them but don't want to have >300 ml of extract where most of it will go bad before I can use it. That's assuming of course that the extracts will be vapable to begin with.

Chinook

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
OR, USA

Scotticus93

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
Yorktown, Virginia, United States
That's weird about fire cured since most juices get better with age. I'm just looking for some peppery and spicy blends. Cuz already found some decent sweet ones out there. I'll have try FC tho. It sounds good. I read it's a stronger version of the perique blend in a way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Bill,

Well, my home-brewed extracts are still fairly young. My first was done in the spring of 2013, the next nine over the summer, and the most recent four in the fall. Average age is about six months. As far as I can tell, they're at least as good now and perhaps better than they were when freshly extracted. I'd guess that they're in the prime of their lives and should remain so for a good while to come, perhaps another year.

I've had some retail juices that went seriously downhill after six months to a year, yet other retail juices in my stash are now three years old and still hanging in there nicely. The oldest juice I have is a bottle of Janty RY4 from 2008 (thanks to KentC's generosity), and that juice seems alive and well to me, although I don't know how it tasted when fresh, since I was still two years away from vaping back in 2008. Kent tells me that they're about 90% of what they were new---still flavorful, but slightly calmer.

Extracts and flavorings are a bit harder for me to track with regard to their lifespans and flavor loss, but apparently it's very much a case-by-case kind of thing with few hard-and-fast rules. If my home-brewed extracts have an 18-month lifespan, that won't be too shabby, especially given how inexpensive they are to produce. So far, it looks like they'll make that without even breathing hard.

papabogart

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
Satis, Faction
My last bottle of fire cured was tame right from the mailbox. Kind of a let down.

Pure St James is available from 4noggins.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the link, erawk.

The problem I've run into is two fold. (which may or may not be cleared up with a phone call)

1. All information in the "public realm" that I have been able to locate is a couple of years old.
2. Of the two producers of true, honest to Pete, real McCoy etc. St. James Perique, one (Percy Martin?) sells their total inventory exclusively to America Spirit. The other, far larger producer, L.A. Poche, has stated that they have only (2009ish?) sold one barrel of pure St. James Perique and that was to a European tobacco blender. Everything else they report selling is a mixture of St. James leaf and select Green River Burleys which they choose to call Acadian. Based on L.A. Poche's list of customers, and assuming that list is still accurate, I've selected McClelland's perique for a sample of Acadian (that's also assuming that L.APoche is the sole source for their perique). I've also selected a number of other periques from other vendors which may or may not be L.A.Poche Acadian or possibly a faux perique using no St. James tobacco leaf.
If anyone has anything more definitive, I'd appreciate you passing it on.
Thanks.

Last edited:

erawk

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Hyde Park, Vermont
good info papa. Thx for that. I called him... its McClelland Perique. Which is actually acadian. But i also found this on pipesmagazine forums FWIW.
Like virtually all perique in pipe blends, it's almost certainly what some have taken to calling "Acadian" perique, which in turn contains plenty of the "original" St. James leaf. Put another way, Acadian perique IS St James Perique, only it's mixed with some burley that's been processed the same way. This is done to ensure consistency and smokeability. No major blender in the US or Britain has used "pure" St James perique in several decades. The distinction between "real" and "Acadian" perique was first made up a few years ago by some marketing guys who were trying to push their particular product by disparaging everyone else, according to GL Pease, who has described their tactics as "unscrupulous" and dishonest since both types contain the same "pure" leaf from St James parish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread