Status
Not open for further replies.

papabogart

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
Satis, Faction
Man, that's too bad with such a big bottle. I'm going to get the most of my remaining Patriot while I can. I really hope future batches turn out better, I'd be pretty hesitant to order it again without confirmation that it's a good batch.

It's actually 2x 30ml bottles--don't think they sold anything larger when I bought.
Funny, kinda how you can fall in love with something like the third movement of the Tempest when performed by a concert pianist and then you hear it played again at a school recital by a reasonably competent student: all the notes are there, it sounds familiar, but it just isn't the same.

papabogart

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
Satis, Faction
Papabogart - im guessing you already stumbled upon this interview with Mark Ryan of LA Roche; but its an enjoyable read for anyone interested in perique. So i figured id post it here. The Mystique of Perique | The #1 Source for Pipes and Pipe Tobacco Information

Yes, I've read that one. Actually one of the more informative articles to be found and a good read. Thanks.
Erawk, if you are interested, I believe I have a link saved somewhere to La. Dept of Agriculture pdf document that is 40-50 yrs old that is pretty well researched and informative. It even discusses the origin of the term perique and whether or not it was P. Chenet's nickname or derived from a term used in hair styling. Let me know and I'll try to find it and post it.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
It's actually 2x 30ml bottles--don't think they sold anything larger when I bought.
Funny, kinda how you can fall in love with something like the third movement of the Tempest when performed by a concert pianist and then you hear it played again at a school recital by a reasonably competent student: all the notes are there, it sounds familiar, but it just isn't the same.

Lol, bingo. Describes the experience of the different Patriot perfectly.

vjc0628

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Maryville TN
I was shocked too, Jerms. Part of the reason I sent you that was so you see what I saw--we can love a liquid, but sometimes when others don't, it's not simply a matter of them not liking what we got but them actually getting a liquid that is in fact off. Prior to me tasting that Patriot, I would've clowned anyone that said Patriot V2 was anything less than brilliant. I have learned that it ain't always the vaper on the other side doing something "wrong" or just not "getting" the liquid.

Oh, and this is extended to virtually every vendor. It is in fact very rare for a vendor to have supreme consistency. My heart just about broke when I got B_n_J's "Smokin' Cherries." Oh well, there's always DK-Tab. LOL. Joking...sorta.

*Note: I don't mean to say our championed vendors suffer from inconsistency, just that they are not immune to hiccups.

I went through the same thing with HHV Legand

I got a sample and loved it

then I order 30 ml and just lackluster and hated it
I didn't understand it was very similar and very different at the same time
even tried it up to 3 and 1/2 months

I would have written it off and never went back
If it were not for jefsview who got me to give it another chance

and then next order was perfect again

tmillin

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2014
plus.google.com
Which is better? HHV Legends or MOV Southern Gentleman? I can get both here in Ga but HHV is an hours drive while MOV vendor is only a 25 minute drive lol. Just curious as to opinions amongst more experienced vaping gurus :)
I will eventually try them both but limited funds this month :-(

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
Which is better? HHV Legends or MOV Southern Gentleman? I can get both here in Ga but HHV is an hours drive while MOV vendor is only a 25 minute drive lol. Just curious as to opinions amongst more experienced vaping gurus :)
I will eventually try them both but limited funds this month :-(

They are two very different juices, no way to say which is better, just what an individual prefers. I like both a lot, but in very different ways. Legend is a sweet, smooth, and delicious Cavendish blend which has a cherry taste to me. Southern Gentlement is a complex, slightly aggressive tobacco, with multiple true tobacco notes, and is also delicious.

MOV's Pendragon is closer to Legend. It's has a similar sweet and smooth thing going on with a cherry flavor (plus vanilla with PenD). PenD is a little leafier. I like them close to the same, but as a personal preference PenD edges out Legend a little.

All three of these juices I would reorder.

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Durham, North Carolina, United States
I went through the same thing with HHV Legand

I got a sample and loved it

then I order 30 ml and just lackluster and hated it
I didn't understand it was very similar and very different at the same time
even tried it up to 3 and 1/2 months

I would have written it off and never went back
If it were not for jefsview who got me to give it another chance

and then next order was perfect again

ERMAGERD THATS ME!!!! I bought 2 30ml bottles at different time. Tried the first one and it was solid gold to me. Seeing how I finished the first 30ml rather quickly, I panicked and went ahead and ordered a 100ml. When I reached the second bottle of 30ml, it had all the same notes but something just wasn't right. I couldn't vape on that for more than 10mins. It tasted quite a bit sweeter and left a weird sensation on my tongue. Now I just look at my 100ml bottle with a mix of fear and longing. Wish me luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
Lmao Thanks Jerm that makes a 3rd bottle to get for the month. :p but thanks for the imput I was wondering how strong the amaretto came through in the Southern Gentleman. guess I will go get some on the way home from work tonight

I never would have noticed the amaretto if they didn't mention it in the description. I think it plays a minor role in shaping the flavor and that's about it. It's much more of a straight tobacco blend than a flavored tobacco. One of the best in that category. It's very complex because of the multiple tobaccos used. It took a little bit to grow on me though, while Legend and Pendragon I loved right away.

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
My last bottle of Patriot 30 mls. 1st week of December tasted like it was missing something rather than weaker. So, I let it sit, and just now gave it another shot. Darn it, where's my Patriot!??? This tastes like Bull Durham Lite.

On a different note, I don't hear much about Fired in Georgia in this thread. Any fans? Anyone tried it and didn't like it?

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
My last bottle of Patriot 30 mls. 1st week of December tasted like it was missing something rather than weaker. So, I let it sit, and just now gave it another shot. Darn it, where's my Patriot!??? This tastes like Bull Durham Lite.

On a different note, I don't hear much about Fired in Georgia in this thread. Any fans? Anyone tried it and didn't like it?

Yeah it's odd isn't it. It's Patriot.. but not really. Like papa's analogy of a great piece played by mediocre musicians. What's Fired in Georgia?

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
Here's my very early impressions of Vaperite's Rou's Toasted Hazelnut.

I've yet to have an understanding of my feelings for nutty vapes. In general, I shy away, not an element that really attracts me. I don't know if certain nut flavors (peanut, cashew, hazelnut, etc.) will work for me or if it's a general dislike of nuttiness in vapes. As far as eating them, yep, I'm a fan, solid snack food no matter the type, though I am especially partial to pistachios which I can deshell and eat by the pound, and Blue Diamond flavored almonds are the bomb.

Whoops, sorry, I easily distract myself. Anyways, with this juice, I feel I can say hazelnut does in fact work for me as a vape flavor. It's not the type of nuttiness that turns me off to some vapes such as Puros. It's nutty, hazelnutty, and is working as a pleasant flavor. Not so sure about the tobacco. It's not bad, just feeling initially like a bland and weak maceration. Even though the hazelnut isn't strong, it does star more than the tobacco.

So not wowed by it, but it has a flavor I like and may order a bottle, but more for the hazelnut than the NET. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong or bad about the NET, just weak and uninspired. Nice to learn I don't need to shy away from hazelnut descriptions.

Karla Lyle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Frederick, md
ERMAGERD THATS ME!!!! I bought 2 30ml bottles at different time. Tried the first one and it was solid gold to me. Seeing how I finished the first 30ml rather quickly, I panicked and went ahead and ordered a 100ml. When I reached the second bottle of 30ml, it had all the same notes but something just wasn't right. I couldn't vape on that for more than 10mins. It tasted quite a bit sweeter and left a weird sensation on my tongue. Now I just look at my 100ml bottle with a mix of fear and longing. Wish me luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! I thought it was just me. Well me and my husband. We order a lot from HHV and loved Legend and then we got a bottle and didnlt like it. We thought maybe our taste had changed. Glad I saw this.

Also like I stated I mainly vape HHV and have been vaping 2 years. I a looking to eitehr make or try some new NET and was hoping to get some advice from some of you. To those of you that also really like HHV juices, what other juices do you like? I can tell you I have tried W2V's juices and they are not for me if that helps. my favorites are Huntsman, Pirate's Booty, darkhorse, Heavenly Army, well pretty much all the HHV NET's. What would you recommend?

Last edited:

Karla Lyle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Frederick, md
Nothing wrong with your taste buds Karla. NETs cover a fairly wide spectrum. Some enjoy all points across the spectrum, others like just one or two points (like you). Have you sampled all of HHV? I ask because Shadow is similar to HA.

Yes. I really like Shadow as well. Only one I really did not care for that I can think of was Serendipity. It was Ok but I don't think I will order it again. Looking to branch out and try some new stuff. I am sure there are a lot of new vendors that I probably have not tried. I have been vaping HHV for quite some time now and as much as I spend there I do not like that no matter how much you buy you do not really get much of a discount and there is no loyalty program or coupons EVER!! I spend probably close to $200 a month there between my hubby and I. I have tried The Plume Room and W2V as well as GoodEjuice and a few others. Just looking to find what else I might like that is out there.

BecknCO

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2013
Denver, CO
Dammit - see this is what I was concerned with. I've been meaning to try HHV, but after reading how they did Mr. Mann last year, and the inconsistentcy being reported, I'm just not sure. I also hate being price gouged and I'm a veteran deal hunter. Ugh...I need consistency or some type of confidence that what I try as a noob will be the same dang juice you all rave about. I hope Ahlusion does me right since I dropped a good bit of cash for quite a few flavors. Every thread on them seems to instill confidence and consistency in their products. Also, Wlad did a helluva great customer service job with me the other day, so far, so good.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
Wow! I thought it was just me. Well me and my husband. We order a lot from HHV and loved Legend and then we got a bottle and didnlt like it. We thought maybe our taste had changed. Glad I saw this.

Also like I stated I mainly vape HHV and have been vaping 2 years. I a looking to eitehr make or try some new NET and was hoping to get some advice from some of you. To those of you that also really like HHV juices, what other juices do you like? I can tell you I have tried W2V's juices and they are not for me if that helps. my favorites are Huntsman, Pirate's Booty, darkhorse, Heavenly Army, well pretty much all the HHV NET's. What would you recommend?

It kind of depends on how far you want to get from the HHV profile. W2V is about the total opposite, as is Ahlusion's aromatics.

The closest I've had is CravinVapes. While they have a similar feel and style, sadly to me they are HHV lite, and I would rather have HHV for a fuller flavor and silky feel. Even though they didn't wow me, I still think they are worth a try for HHV fans, and they are also very cheap to try.

For a somewhat similar style, I would suggest a few from MountainOakVapors. Pendragon, Sunday Morning, and Hey Jack are the ones that are similar. Southern Gentleman and Apache get into a stronger, more authentic tobacco territory, but some huge HHV fans like Dusty and Bronze love them. I know Dusty buys multiple bottles of each and Bronze was really into Apache (not sure if he still is though).

Ahlusion's non-aromatics are another sweet tobacco NETs worth a try. Many fans of HHV don't like them at all, but some, like me, enjoy them both. Some worth checking out are Smooth Criminal, Peachy Criminal, Sahara Blend, JG Blend (coffee tobacco), and the Wild Woods (apple, peach, and caramel are all very good).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread