Status
Not open for further replies.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I went to imr website and looked it up and in the specifications it says not protected , what does that mean? ?
Protected batteries have a circuit that's supposed to trip if the amp draw is high. Sounds good, but the amp limit on them is way too low for vaping, the battery chemistry is unsafe, and the added circuitry makes them too long for most mods. Do not buy protected batteries.

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I bought protected button tops (by accident) one time. It was regrettable, I don't think you want the extra stuff and while I BELIEVE they MAY be used, the extra wiring makes them too fat for many mods plus they LOOK like they'd explode. I did put one in a provari (briefly) when told I COULD use them, but it felt super sketchy the whole time. Personally I wouldn't ever by them again.

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I went to imr website and looked it up and in the specifications it says not protected , what does that mean?
A few years ago there were only ICR (lithium cobalt round) protected batteries for external battery mods. Because of their volatile (flamable/explosive) chemistry like LiPo batteries, they had to be used with a protective circuit located at the positive end of the battery. This circuit also made the battery slightly longer in length. Sometimes this protective circuit interfered with the protection circuitry of the early generation regulated mods.

Protected ICR batteries are not generally recommended for vaping these days because they only have 3 - 6 amps of continuous discharge. They often have more mAh's (capacity) than a modern IMR battery, but to get all those mAh the internal resistance of the battery is increased, which in turn makes the battery more likely to over-heat when misused or abused. These batteries are generally recognized as "high capacity, low drain" batteries.

105-18650-r600__57923.1399405576.jpg

Sometime between 2012-2013 battery technology improved, and AW introduced the first unprotected IMR (lithium manganese round) batteries onto the consumer market, and shortly thereafter INR (lithium nickle round). These chemistries were recognised to be a "safer" chemistry and didn't require the protection circuit of the ICR batteries. These batteries had a higher continuous discharge rating of at least 10 amps continuous discharge meaning that they were recognized as "high drain, low capacity" batteries with very little internal resistance.

DSC_0677__92570.1464620973.JPG

Would you like to learn more? Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries Part 1

Last edited:

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I have a dual mod it's the iJoy captain PD1865. I got the mod from a friend. I kinda understand moochs battery rating but still having trouble with which 18650 batteries to get I won't be exceeding 80 watts depending on what ejiuce I have I vape sometimes at 40 -50 watts & other times at 60-70 watts.

Step 1:
Your top wattage is 70, so we'll start with that and calculate the CDR (continuous discharge rating) you need:

70 watts / 2 batteries / 3.2 volts (average mod cutoff) / 0.9 (board efficiency) = 12.2 amps (per battery)

This means you'll want batteries with a CDR of 15 - 20. You could get ones with a higher CDR, but you don't need it and they would have a lower capacity (they wouldn't last as long).

At 80 watts, you'd be up to 14 amps. That's getting uncomfortably close to 15 amps, so if you spend much time there at all you'd be better off with a 20 amp CDR battery.

Step 2:
Check Mooch's chart for recommended 15 - 20 amp batteries.

Samsung 30Q - 15 amp, 3000 mAh
Sony VTC6 - 15 amp, 3000 mAh
LG HG2 - 20 amp, 3000 mAh
Samsung 25R - 20 amp, 2500 mAh

Step 3:
Check Mooch's list of good vendors.

www.akkuteile.de
www.batterybro.com
www.ecoluxshopdirect.co.uk
www.illumn.com
www.imrbatteries.com
www.liionwholesale.com
www.nkon.nl
www.orbtronic.comwww.rtdvapor.com

The reason it's so important to use a reliable vendor is because there are a lot of counterfeit batteries around. Mooch's list will substantially reduce your risk of winding up with a counterfeit. These are vendors Mooch is familiar with. There will be other good, reliable vendors out there, but if you (like most of us) don't have the knowledge and experience to identify them, Mooch's list is a great resource.

Step 4:
Buy batteries and vape safely!

If you've done much reading, you've probably heard about battery marriage. If you haven't, you need to buy your batteries in pairs (for a two battery mod). The pair should always stay together - they should go in the mod together and be charged together. You can use the pair in another two battery mod as long as they stay together, but you shouldn't split them up to use them in a one battery mod. The point is to make sure their experiences are as similar as possible so they'll age similarly and stay matched as they age.

By the way, Mooch's blog, as you've no doubt discovered, has excellent information but it can be a bit difficult to find all the details you're looking for. Baditude has posted a superb introduction to batteries with a more methodical approach. Once you've covered the basics there, it's easier to browse Baditude's and Mooch's blogs to pick up some more advanced details.

• Informative
Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread