Need advice on Nic levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricksinvest

Aug 29, 2011
Houston, TX
Everyone,

This has been going so well so far. I'm four weeks without an analog. It was hard at first. Originally I was using Blu. I even went three days off of analogs with Blu. That was very hard for me though. Coupled with the equipment problems, and the cost of replacement carts, I knew I need something more powerful and more dependable.

I got my ego four weeks ago and haven't looked back. After some time on the Blu's my nic needs were definitely down so I was able to settle in at only 18mg ejuices.

Now, here is my question. My goal is to get down to zero mg. How long should I wait before going down to 12 then 8 and then finally 0. I just don't want to be stuck and freak out. I don't want to slide back.
Does anyone else have experience with torquing down their nic levels like this?

Thanks!!

I was a two pack-a-day smoker, I started with 24, and have since moved down to 18. I have no intention of quitting, though. There really isn't any way for people to answer the question on how long you should wait. Everybody is different. I'd suggest lowering how much you vape in general. This might help you step down to a lower nicotine level.

sonofspain

Sep 16, 2011
Wisconsin-USA
Ya know that's gonna be really specific to each person. I smoked for 25 yrs and started w/a usb using highest the company(V2) had, 18mg/ml and I did ok but seemed like I was hitting it more often than with an analog so I jumped up to 24mg/ml which I've been at for bout 5 weeks. I figure on trying 18mg/ml again in about a month. Trial and error bout all you can do. o/

Ya know that's gonna be really specific to each person. I smoked for 25 yrs and started w/a usb using highest the company(V2) had, 18mg/ml and I did ok but seemed like I was hitting it more often than with an analog so I jumped up to 24mg/ml which I've been at for bout 5 weeks. I figure on trying 18mg/ml again in about a month. Order two strengths and you'll have somewhat of a cushion. o/

This could work. If you do make the step down to a lower nicotine level, you can always dilute your remaining higher-strength juices using PG USP.

Boodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2011
Las Vegas, NV, USA
altcig.com
Consdering that you're fresh from ditching 4000 harmful chemicals in a cigarette, you'll be detoxing and healing for some time. I hope you're not too hard on yourself to go to 0 nic quickly. I was hell-bent on getting to 0mg. Over 5 months went from 24 and 18mg juices to 12 then 6mg. At 6mg I had a nicotine crisis. My body wanted more. I gave away my higher nic juices and was in trouble. I went to the store and got nic gum for the craving.

I'm back up to 12 to 24mg and happy with that. I'm addicted to nicotine. I'll revisit the idea of lowering my nic in a year. I don't want to mess up the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Here's an article from the media section by the UK gov't on encouraging ecig use. It might ease your mind a bit about nic consumption in ecigs. Good luck however you proceed.
Try smokeless nicotine cigarettes, says government | Society | The Guardian

ZinniaBlaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2011
Texas
I was a pad smoker for 26 years and started with 18mg nic in November. After about 4 months I transitioned to 12mg nic then after another 4 months I went down to 6mg. I haven't noticed any withdrawal symptoms so far so good. My next step will be to buy my favorite juice raz-bull at 0mg nic and blend with the 6mg nic 50/50 to hopefully cut down to 3mg nic without losing any flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
I managed to cut down to 12mg nic without any problems. My issue however is that I need throat hit. That is my #1 priority when it comes to vaping, and since 99% of throat hit comes from the nicotine, reducing nicotine necessarily reduces throat hit. However, I do have a plan to cut down to about 5-6mg using throat hit boosters, and to that end I have two different ones on the way that I am going to try out and review when they get here. If they work as well as I am hoping, I should be able to reduce my nicotine drastically (possibly even eliminate it altogether if it comes down to that, though that isn't my plan) and still get the throat hit that I need.

So if throat hit is an issue for you there may be a way to get around that while still reducing your nicotine. I'll know more in a few weeks when they have both arrived.

ZinniaBlaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2011
Texas
Consdering that you're fresh from ditching 4000 harmful chemicals in a cigarette, you'll be detoxing and healing for some time. I hope you're not too hard on yourself to go to 0 nic quickly. I was hell-bent on getting to 0mg. Over 5 months went from 24 and 18mg juices to 12 then 6mg. At 6mg I had a nicotine crisis. My body wanted more. I gave away my higher nic juices and was in trouble. I went to the store and got nic gum for the craving.

I'm back up to 12 to 24mg and happy with that. I'm addicted to nicotine. I'll revisit the idea of lowering my nic in a year. I don't want to mess up the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Here's an article from the media section by the UK gov't on encouraging ecig use. It might ease your mind a bit about nic consumption in ecigs. Good luck however you proceed.
Try smokeless nicotine cigarettes, says government | Society | The Guardian

I totally agree everyone is different, it's best to take your time and enjoy being off the stinkies which is awesomeness all in itself :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
I stayed at 24 mg for about 9 months before I decided to step down. I dropped to 20, and recently 18.

Handy hint -- you don't have to drop by 6 mg per step. If you stay with the same flavors you can mix different strengths and get intermediate nic levels, with no loss of flavor. 50% of 24 mg plus 50% of 18 mg gets you a 21 mg nic final juice. 2/3 24 mg plus 1/3 18 mg is 22 mg, 1/3 24 mg + 2/3 18 mg is 20 mg. These are pretty easy to eyeball mix, if you have an empty bottle. Shake after mixing, you'll be all set.

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
I switched between 18mg and 24mg when I first started vaping. I used the 24mg for when I was away from home and couldn't vape whenever I wanted to, and used the 18mg at home. It worked beautifully for me. That's what I like about vaping; it's highly customizable and personal. There isn't one single way to do this and have it work wonders. I've settled into 18mg, but will still use 24mg when I'm feeling stressed and have the urge to smoke. I haven't considered going below 18mg, but I'm not in a hurry.

BardicDruid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
Central Texas
I dunno how many folks I've seen drop to zero nic in 3 months just to be back 6 months later after smoking analogs. If you rush it you'll probably wind up back to smoking, I'm taking my time so when I do hit zero I'll stay there. For however long you were smoking for you were rewiring your brain to think nicotine was part of it, it didn't happen overnight or ever over a couple of months. I smoked for 36 years, for my first 3 months vaping I did 24mg then dropped to 18mg and stayed there for the rest of my first year. At one year I dropped to 12mg, vaped like crazy for a little while but got used to it and have been there for a year. So it's time for me to drop 6mg, I'll probably vape like a smokestack for a while till my body gets used to it and stay there for the rest of the year. Just don't rush it and you'll be fine.

This is one suggestion for you:

Your need for nicotine can be broken down into two different types of "need". One type of need is a fancy, which is similar to imagining a "nice juicy steak" in your mind. This type of need can strike you at any time, even 12 months after you have ceased nicotine use. Luckily, it is only something that you fancy doing, and it is quite easily ignored by just doing something else.

The more serious type of "need" is a medical craving. You will experience the first one of these roughly 30 minutes after your last smoke, and they will increase in frequency until they peak 3 days after last nicotine intake. These are much harder to ignore, as doing so will cause you to act irritable or aggressive, or make your mood much worse, or cause you some physical suffering.

The good news is that your "craving" is very short lived. Sure, it is hard to ignore, but it only lasts for a maximum of 5 minutes. After your body subconsciously realises that it is not being supplied with nicotine in response to its dirty tricks, it gives up and tries again later.

My advice to you, if you are serious about giving up nicotine use now, is to carry TWO cartomizers with you at all times. One should be nicotine free. This is your "celery stick" that you chew on to give your body something to do when it is experiencing a craving. The other cartomizer should contain your 18mg e-liquid which can be used to give you a nicotine fix as and when you desire.

Do most of your vaping nicotine free. When you experience mad cravings for a drug fix, look at your watch. Suck your nicotine-free e-cigarette for the next 5-10 minutes, and if you still NEED a fix 10 minutes later, then smoke your nicotine cartomizer instead until you are satisfied, then screw the nicotine-free one back into place.

The secret to quitting is not to tell yourself "I am not going to smoke nicotine again" and throwing away your cigarettes and nic juices. The secret is telling yourself "I'll get my fix later". That's a really good self-announcement. I'll smoke it later, for now I'll just smoke this delicious healthy nicotine-free flavour. Om nom nom.

I found more information on the exact method your body uses to punish you for not taking nicotine on WhyQuit - Nicotine Withdrawal and Recovery Symptoms

Good luck brother!

p.s. I am happily addicted to nicotine, and have been cigarette free for a few months now, ever since discovering wonderful e-cigs. I know that we are not supposed to say they are a good way to stop smoking, but they really are unbeatable. Since I got my first PV, i have not had a single desire to puff on anything that burns. VICTORY. No cancer for me :D

ricksinvest

Aug 29, 2011
Houston, TX
This is one suggestion for you:

Your need for nicotine can be broken down into two different types of "need". One type of need is a fancy, which is similar to imagining a "nice juicy steak" in your mind. This type of need can strike you at any time, even 12 months after you have ceased nicotine use. Luckily, it is only something that you fancy doing, and it is quite easily ignored by just doing something else.

The more serious type of "need" is a medical craving. You will experience the first one of these roughly 30 minutes after your last smoke, and they will increase in frequency until they peak 3 days after last nicotine intake. These are much harder to ignore, as doing so will cause you to act irritable or aggressive, or make your mood much worse, or cause you some physical suffering.

The good news is that your "craving" is very short lived. Sure, it is hard to ignore, but it only lasts for a maximum of 5 minutes. After your body subconsciously realises that it is not being supplied with nicotine in response to its dirty tricks, it gives up and tries again later.

My advice to you, if you are serious about giving up nicotine use now, is to carry TWO cartomizers with you at all times. One should be nicotine free. This is your "celery stick" that you chew on to give your body something to do when it is experiencing a craving. The other cartomizer should contain your 18mg e-liquid which can be used to give you a nicotine fix as and when you desire.

Do most of your vaping nicotine free. When you experience mad cravings for a drug fix, look at your watch. Suck your nicotine-free e-cigarette for the next 5-10 minutes, and if you still NEED a fix 10 minutes later, then smoke your nicotine cartomizer instead until you are satisfied, then screw the nicotine-free one back into place.

The secret to quitting is not to tell yourself "I am not going to smoke nicotine again" and throwing away your cigarettes and nic juices. The secret is telling yourself "I'll get my fix later". That's a really good self-announcement. I'll smoke it later, for now I'll just smoke this delicious healthy nicotine-free flavour. Om nom nom.

I found more information on the exact method your body uses to punish you for not taking nicotine on WhyQuit - Nicotine Withdrawal and Recovery Symptoms

Good luck brother!

p.s. I am happily addicted to nicotine, and have been cigarette free for a few months now, ever since discovering wonderful e-cigs. I know that we are not supposed to say they are a good way to stop smoking, but they really are unbeatable. Since I got my first PV, i have not had a single desire to puff on anything that burns. VICTORY. No cancer for me :D

Thank you so much... I really enjoy that I can tailor this for me and I have a world of options. You're right though, nothing can beat this for the ability to quit analogs.

No matter what I choose, I won't go back to analogs...

BTW I didn't mention above, I was a heavy smoker 2-3 PAD Marlboro 27's. Don't want to do that again

Last edited:

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
I started at 16-18mg and vaped that for 2 months. Then some part of my brain (not the shopaholic part which had just bought another $50 of 16-18mg juices) said I should drop to 12mg. It was weird. But it does take a while to get truly settled, to the point where you have several favorite juices that make you go ahhh and are happy with your equipment and have plenty of spares etc. I guess that other part of my brain decided I was ready.

So I started buying my faves and all new juices and samples in 12mg. And I bought some Plano 3630 Prolatch boxes (hold up to 10ml bottles, cartos, etc). On a Saturday morning I boxed up all of the 16-18mg and set out the 10-12mg and made the switch. I don't vape constantly so it was easy for me to vape a bit extra to smooth over the transition. The TH was still OK.

About a month later (of course I had just ordered some more 10-12mg juices) that other part of my brain says it wants to drop a level. So I bought all of my faves in 6-8mg but this time I also bought some 0mg of my faves for cutting down the higher level and I bought most samples in 0mg so they would never be too high. On a Saturday I made the switch. This was a more significant drop in TH but it was OK. This time I was almost exclusively using cartomizers so the change was more gradual. I just started topping off my 10-12mg cartos with 6-8mg so that stretched out the change over more days.

About a month later I got that urge to drop again and I bought a 3.7v big battery thinking heat would help me with 0mg but I sort of fail at not having TH. So I am vaping 4mg and a mix of 4mg and a 0mg juice with rum flavor in it (has a nice throat sensation). I vape a bit of 0mg but I am not to where I can do 0mg all the time. I need some TH. It is very little TH but I need it.

However - I am weak-willed and resistant to change and I like to feel the inhale. One benefit of the lower nic - I am hugely less desperate for a vape. The lower I got the less desperate the need for a vape. So it seems doable. But I enjoy that bit of TH.

Last edited:
Dormouse: have you tried TW juice "Diabolo Loco"?

If you hate spice, then please allow the name to put you off, it means "Crazy devil" and it is almost pure capsican spice. Use it at 1% max if you want throat hit, probably closer to 0.25% is better unless you're REALLY into spicy food.

This is the ULTIMATE throat hit, trust me. Using a dangerous and addictive drug to provide throat sensation isn't really that great an idea when you sit back and think about it...

In case you are wondering, it doesn't even really taste of spicy food... It tastes more like a combination of sandpaper and fire :)

This is, of course, something that you add to your usual juice for extra throat hit. One drop per 200 or 400 drops is enough to add TH, a little goes a long way :D

I am also talking about a flavour concentrate, not a mixed e-juice, in case you are wondering

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread