The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Need help isolating an allergy

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Trips1103, Mar 12, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Trips1103

Trips1103 Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 8, 2011
    North Carolina
    I'm having a problem figuring out why I have an allergic reaction to some juice, and not others, and I hope someone can help.

It's not specifically PG or VG that is causing it. I've tried various combinations of pg/vg (up too 100 percent vg) and it makes no difference. I've tried bargain juices and premium juices, and that doesn't seem to make a difference. The allergy is not specific to any flavor (nuts, for instance). It company specific. For instance, I have no problems at all with juices from Nitelight Vapor, Appalachian Steam, Drip Wich and Avail Vapor. But I DO have a reaction to Madvapes Juice (both standard and premium), Patriot Vapor, Monster Trail Mix, and Mitten Vapor.

It usually starts out as itching around my ankles, calves, lower back and thighs. If I scratch, my skin will form welts. If it gets really bad, my lips will swell. When I wake up, just the slightest touch to my lips (like brushing my teeth) will give me a fat lip.

I don't know if it's such a great idea to do so, but I've been taking over the counter antihistamines so I can use up the stock that I have.

I'd really like to figure out why I have this reaction. Could it be something in the various flavorings each company uses? Isn't vg and pg pretty much standard across the board? ... Or can there be different varieties of pg and vg?

I'm searching for an ADV, but I have yet to find it in any of the companies that I don't have a problem with. I was using Nitelight Vapor for years, but they closed their doors, so that's no longer an option. I have no other allergies at all.

2. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    Given how dramatic the reaction sounds like, I think going to an allergist is your first step. Obviously avoiding any juice you're known to react to is important. But me? I'd be seeing a doctor before popping antihistamines to mask a reaction to something you're vaping. Good luck!

• Like Like x 3
  3. SteveS45

SteveS45 Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 27, 2016
    Long Island, New York
    Wish I could be of more help but I honestly feel that you should see a Trained Medical Professional because your symptoms or reactions sound pretty severe in my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Trips1103

Feb 8, 2011
    North Carolina
    You're both right. A doctor is the best route to go. I wonder if this has happened to anyone else in this way. I'm not looking at a lot of ingredients here, when trying to isolate it. It's just so bizarre.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    The tough part to store/retail juice is you really don't know what's in it. If you DIY you know exactly what and how much you put in. It's a lot tougher to figure out as it might very well have more ingredients than you think.

• Like Like x 2
  6. puffon

puffon Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Someone in another forum posted they were allergic to Sucralose.
    Just putting this out there, to consider.

7. lil_buddy

lil_buddy Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 9, 2017
    Isolation of an allergen can be very difficult if not impossible. You can be allergic to just about anything. Also, the reaction can be dependent on the amount of the allergen to which you are exposed.

I have a slight allergy to Splenda (sucralose), also. It will give me a rash if I ingest a large amount of it - like if I ice cream sweetened with it three days in a row. If I have one sucralose sweetened candy, I will not have a reaction.

You will have a very hard time isolating what you are allergic to in vape juice because producers almost never list ingredients.

8. Hawise

Hawise Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    Allergies can get worse with repeated exposure and those are serious symptoms. I'd strongly suggest dumping the juices you're reacting to or you could wind up in full-blown anaphylaxis.

You really need a doctor or allergist to nail down what you're allergic to so you know what to avoid - especially since whatever substance is causing the problem is probably present in more things than ejuice. Good luck!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Sylvie

Sylvie Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 15, 2010
    USA
    like others said, doc visit is best.
    your symptoms sound like a friend of mine allergies, she's allergic to soy.
    just a thought but, since you said your reaction is more company specific. one thing i can think of that differs from vendors is the type of PG/VG used, some use soy vg and soy allergies can produce hives, itching and affect the mouth area too..

• Like Like x 2
  10. Two_Bears

Two_Bears Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 4, 2015
    Northern Arizona
    I have problems with high PG juices.

I make 70% VG NO problem.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hawise

Hawise Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    That's true, but with pharmaceutical-grade VG it really shouldn't matter what the source was. Those allergy symptoms are standard and could be caused by anything at all. My sister gets the same reaction from bananas.

12. leftyandsparky

leftyandsparky Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 22, 2015
    Somewhere in the South
    I had your problem and 2 dr. visit and the 3rd to a ent, and we know it's pg allergy, small doses were fine but combined with soaps, shampoos and other pg products, my body couldn't take it.
    So please make a doctors appt. as soon as you can get it!
    I wish you the best of luck!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Trips1103

Feb 8, 2011
    North Carolina
    OK thank you. This might be a possibility.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Trips1103

Feb 8, 2011
    North Carolina
    True. I was thinking more along the line of primary ingredients, but I suppose it could be anything. It's very frustrating.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Trips1103

Feb 8, 2011
    North Carolina
    That's interesting. I suppose there is quite a variation of products out there. I hadn't realized the possibilities could be so vast.

• Like Like x 1
  16. lil_buddy

lil_buddy Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 9, 2017
    Some people break out in hives from stress or sweating. I'm not saying that's your issue, I'm just saying immune responses are very complex.

You can test yourself for allergies to soy and sucralose by simply going out and eating some (keep the benedryl close by)!

• Like Like x 1
  17. RainSong

RainSong An adult who likes flavors. Verified Member ECF Veteran

I would not continue to vape anything that makes you react, take the loss and dump it or give it away.

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.