Status
Not open for further replies.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Increase the nicotine.
I DL in the 60 - 80 watt range usually. I noticed a big increase in throat hit (more on some tanks/juices than others) after upping all my juice from 3mg to 4.5mg in my 70vg juice. I increased nic for reasons other than more throat hit but I don't really mind it too much so far.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Switching to 100% vg has eliminated about 98% of my acid reflux but the throat hit has disappeared.
My adv's are an unflavored 3mg nic, 100% vg, 10% h2o, and same thing with 7% HS RY4 added.
OBS Nano's with .4 coils at 20w.
Like sucking on air. Any solution?
Thanks
My notes:
Nic selection, some brands of nic have a greater TH than others. Nic salts for the most part are too smooth/tasteless.
Some high percent alcohols like Everclear and Apple Cider Vinagar (ACV) in very small percentages (.01-.05%-- Use Extreme caution) and work up.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
FlavourArt Flash - some find it useful for adding TH. Others don't care for it saying it tastes like peppers (jalapeno, habanero).

Ethyl Alcohol - pretty much any neutral grain spirit (vodka, light rum, pure grain alcohol) can add a harshness. Alcohol does evaporate out; so depending on bottle material, headspace, and time, it may need to be added more than once.

Increase the nicotine level and vape less.

Nicotine Brand - There is (at least) one brand that makes an increased throat hit nicotine concentrate: VaporTek. I am not a fan of TH, so I have not tried it, and can't offer any opinion. (especially at only 3mg/mL)

Using acids with nicotine (to make nicotine salts) lowers the pH; and a side effect is "smoothing" it out. Perhaps there is a safe(?) base/alkaline ingredient that could be used to raise the pH? My understanding of chemistry is non-existent; so someone else will have to answer that.

I have also read of some claiming oxidation (to the nic) can add throat hit. You could take a small (maybe just enough to make a single 10-30mL batch) amount of the nic concentrate you already have, and intentionally oxidize it. Put it in an oversized bottle (to provide excessive surface area, and oxygen), and place it in a window sill (to provide warmth, and ultra violet light), and you should be able to experiment in just a matter of a couple/few(?) days. Again, using only 3mg/mL I don't know if you will notice a difference.

Increase the power/wattage of your device. It should increase perceived throat hit, but it will also likely mess with quality of flavor (in your flavored mixes).

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
Thanks for all the great suggestions.
I can't increase the pg as I'm now sure that it's a big part of my problem. I'm leary of increasing the nic as I'm also aware that nic can exacerbate AR.
Will try slowly increasing wattage to see how that works out.
Oxidizing is something I'll try.
Vaperstek looks interesting as well. I wonder what the difference is? (what gives it more TH?)

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Thanks for all the great suggestions.
I can't increase the pg as I'm now sure that it's a big part of my problem. I'm leary of increasing the nic as I'm also aware that nic can exacerbate AR.
Will try slowly increasing wattage to see how that works out.
Oxidizing is something I'll try.
Vaperstek looks interesting as well. I wonder what the difference is? (what gives it more TH?)
Probably a touch of flash. If you don't need nic get the flash and watch for a great sale for th nic.

Reactions: stols001

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Thanks @Letitia. Probably try the Flash as I'm almost out of HS RY4 anyway and need to order.
Did you know Real Flavors SC are vg based? Since your ordering anyway try a few out. There is a thread for them I believe.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Did you know Real Flavors SC are vg based? Since your ordering anyway try a few out. There is a thread for them I believe.
The SC line is not VG based. I believe they still make their VG legacy line for wholesale customers so you should still be able to find the VG flavors at some sites. The SC line does not contain PG either, other than a minor amount in one or two of their flavors, according to the RF owner.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
The SC line is not VG based. I believe they still make their VG legacy line for wholesale customers so you should still be able to find the VG flavors at some sites. The SC line does not contain PG either, other than a minor amount in one or two of their flavors, according to the RF owner.
Did they used to be vg based? Know I read that somewhere when researching diy.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Did they used to be vg based? Know I read that somewhere when researching diy.
Yes, they started out only selling VG based flavors. Then they added the SC line which became far more popular so that is all they sell now retail on their site and in their amazon store. Some of the flavor vendors still buy VG flavors in bulk for those customers that still need/want the older vg based flavors. I hated the VG flavors, had to use 20% or more flavoring and steep for 2+ months.

Foggyroomz

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2014
Indiana
Switching to 100% vg has eliminated about 98% of my acid reflux but the throat hit has disappeared.

My adv's are an unflavored 3mg nic, 100% vg, 10% h2o, and same thing with 7% HS RY4 added.
OBS Nano's with .4 coils at 20w.

Like sucking on air. Any solution?
Thanks
Another thing you might look at is trying like espresso, salted caramel, or more robust flavors as they tend to increase throat hit, try a vanilla caramel tobacco flavor they tend to be more punchy in throat hit, increase wattage can help and if you use a vg based nicotine it shouldn't mess with your AF should you want to increase it some. I too have AF along with stomach ulcers and I vapes 4.5mg at around 80 watts and it doesn' mess with my stomach at all the only thing I find that really messes with me is strong citrus flavors and heavily mentholated juices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread