Need Percentage Suggestions (or Reassurance)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erised

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2009
Florida
I ordered some flavors from TFA, and one of the main DIY recipes I wanted to try from the board is this one ...

JABASHAKE!
13% Vanilla Swirl-- TPA
4% Malted Milk-- TPA
7% Coffee (Kona or Clear)-- TPA
2% Sweetner
*OPTIONAL*
Add 1 DP3ML of Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (TPA)

(http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...341589-l-looking-coffee-milkshake-recipe.html)

I made up tiny batches of each flavor I purchased just to get a general idea of the taste/strength of each.

The problem -- the Kona Coffee -- the stuff smells like a combination of cat piss and bologna. And not slightly either -- I swear that one drop is like the combined strength of 10 litter boxes. So, now I'm afraid to use it at 7%.
Can someone give me suggestions of what percentages I should change the other ingredients to if I drop the Kona down to 1% or 2%?
Or, do I keep it at 7% and trust that this cat piss smell will steep out of it? Or that it will go away when combined with other flavors?

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I ordered some flavors from TFA, and one of the main DIY recipes I wanted to try from the board is this one ...

JABASHAKE!
13% Vanilla Swirl-- TPA
4% Malted Milk-- TPA
2% Sweetner
*OPTIONAL*

(http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...341589-l-looking-coffee-milkshake-recipe.html)

I made up tiny batches of each flavor I purchased just to get a general idea of the taste/strength of each.

The problem -- the Kona Coffee -- the stuff smells like a combination of cat piss and bologna. And not slightly either -- I swear that one drop is like the combined strength of 10 litter boxes. So, now I'm afraid to use it at 7%.
Can someone give me suggestions of what percentages I should change the other ingredients to if I drop the Kona down to 1% or 2%?
Or, do I keep it at 7% and trust that this cat piss smell will steep out of it? Or that it will go away when combined with other flavors?

I would start low at like 1% and work your way up. I would assume you've never tasted that receipe so it might be hard to know if it's correct or not. SO you'll have to rely on your own taste.

DeeDee1234

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Texas
the problem -- the kona coffee -- the stuff smells like a combination of cat piss and bologna. And not slightly either -- i swear that one drop is like the combined strength of 10 litter boxes. So, now i'm afraid to use it at 7%.

Or, do i keep it at 7% and trust that this cat piss smell will steep out of it? Or that it will go away when combined with other flavors?

did you taste it?

michaelsil1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2013
Los Angeles

JABASHAKE!
13% Vanilla Swirl-- TPA
4% Malted Milk-- TPA
2% Sweetner
*OPTIONAL*

Even when I cook I'll follow the recipe first then I'll adjust.

Erised

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2009
Florida
did you taste it?

I tried, but I was so overwhelmed with the cat piss smell that I couldn't tell what I was vaping. I also didn't seep any of my test samples before trying them ... I wanted to get an idea of how they are "raw" (so to speak) so that I can get a general idea of their flavor and so that I can better identify each one when mixed if I need to add/subtract a flavor. The kona just totally threw me, and now I'm not sure what to do with it.

souleaterzer0

Multiple ID Suspension
ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2012
right here
I always use half the amount of flavor called for in a recipe for my first try, then adjust from there. You might not like the kona flavor at at. You won't know until you try it. Some flavors taste different from what they smell like. TPA caramel cap smells like burnt rubber to me but at 1 drop per 10-12 ml it is "ok" tasting. I would suggest trying it alone at a low percentage with an atomizer you can either rebuild or won't mind throwing away, just in case you don't like the flavor. Some flavors will linger in you atomizer and make every juice you put in it taste different or down right nasty.

psycheval

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2013
Forget
I tried, but I was so overwhelmed with the cat piss smell that I couldn't tell what I was vaping. I also didn't seep any of my test samples before trying them ... I wanted to get an idea of how they are "raw" (so to speak) so that I can get a general idea of their flavor and so that I can better identify each one when mixed if I need to add/subtract a flavor. The kona just totally threw me, and now I'm not sure what to do with it.

Add PG or VG till you move the flavor % down to where you can tolerate. My experience is less than 3% or it just overloads you with coffee. I eat coffee beans. I can't sample coffee flavor straight. Too concentrated. Start at 1% in all flavors makes life easier. Easier to add too than take away.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
kona = Keep One's Nose Away !!!

Pepe.gif

Erised

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2009
Florida
TPA/TFA's Kona is the only flavoring I've ever encountered that scared me. I tried working with it for my sister who loves kona coffee, but she begged me to throw the flavoring away and stop trying. I did and haven't regretted it since...

Darn! I was hoping maybe you'd have the magical answer for this stuff.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I made up a 10ml batch, with the Kona @ 2%, I mixed the flavors with the PG & VG, let it steep uncapped overnight, added the nic this morning, shook and capped it, and it's now sitting in my garage to continue steeping.

If Hoosier won't even mess with this Kona though something is telling me I should just move it 2 more feet over into the trash can. :unsure:

psycheval

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2013
Forget
I made up a 10ml batch, with the Kona @ 2%, I mixed the flavors with the PG & VG, let it steep uncapped overnight, added the nic this morning, shook and capped it, and it's now sitting in my garage to continue steeping.

Did you mix this batch with the rest of the flavors? They or something will probably be necessary. I don't IMHO think this stuf is vapable by itself. Acquired taste is the word. But if you get it right it could taste good. My bottle is not in the trash but is not in anything currently either. That is one of the flavors that's in my "Later" pile.

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
This just made me laff and laff and laff. Prolly cause I have a cat, and bologna.

But hey, that makes me wonder... anybody have a Kopi Lewak flavor?

This got me thinking...

Maybe TFA's Kona is actually a mislabeled concentrate of the rinse water from Kopi Luwak coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread