New and need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapenoob2650

Dec 4, 2017
Hi, I'm new to ECF and have a few questions:

I just bought the smok stick X8 and love it!! but I want to be careful with charging it. It came with a charging cable but no wall charger. MY phone one has a 5V output but the manual says the vape battery voltage range is 3.4-4.2V. Is it still okay if I use my phone charger to charge it?
Also today it's not making a good cloud and getting juice in the tip when i use it. Not sure what the problem is, does anyone know?

Reactions: Letitia

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
DO NOT i repeat DO NOT use any "fast chargers" you'd use on your phone, only 1amps max otherwise you risk damaging the battery (could be different with that one but i doubt it). If i were you i'd just use either a usb port on my pc or an older charger that's 1amp or less. I know some will probably disagree but don't worry it won't blow up or at least not that i know of.

NB: about that other problem you'd have to give us more details as we can't really help you with just that..... Could be you're flooding the atomizer though.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Use only the charger cable recommended by the manufacturer.

Juice in the tip means the e-liquid is not being vaporized properly, a condition generally known as flooding. You might be drawing (sucking) too strongly on the mouthpiece. A slow gentle draw should work better.

"Flooding" is a common occurrence in e-cigarettes. The definition of flooding is getting juice into the air passage of the tank. This can include any point between the mouth piece and the very bottom part that connects to the battery. Each tank has holes in that air passage, where the wicks passthrough. This is required for the device to work properly. Unfortunately, this opens up the possibility for flooding. The trick with flooding, is knowing how to avoid it. I’ll explain a little more, but a few common causes for flooding a tank include: improper filling, over filling, pulling too hard when hitting the device, and the temperature can even play a role and/or damage.

"Dry" or "burnt" hits are also a common occurrence in e-cigarettes. This happens when an inadequate quantity of e-liquid reaches the coil. This can occur from using an e-liquid which is too thick for a tank, intake holes for the e-liquid being inadequate, or using a bad wick or coil. Doing "primer puffs", which is taking a puff or two without power on, may eliminate this phenomenon.

Before I get into the explanation, let me explain how an e-cig works a little more in depth. Nearly every tank has a wick that is used to absorb the juice in the tank. This wick cuts through the air passage. Typically, the wicks look like strings hanging in the tank, but some have smaller wicks located at the bottom of the tank and the ‘strings’ are not visible unless the tank is disassembled. Each wick has a piece of wire that wraps around it in a coil. When you activate the button on the battery, you send electricity through the wire. As the wire heats up, it vaporizes the juice that is in the wick.

Improper Filling: When filling your tank, you have to be careful not to get juice into the center tube of the tank. This center tube is the air passage. When you take a draw, air comes from the bottom of the tank, through the air passage and into your mouth. If you get juice into this passage way, your tank is flooded.

Over Filling: If you over fill a tank (specifically a top coil like the ones that come with the starter kits and gift boxes), the wicks can become over saturated and just like a rain cloud, they will leak into the air passage. Once this happens, you have a flooded tank.

Pulling Too Hard: As I mentioned the wicks absorb the juice in the tank. As you pull on the device, you cause a vacuum effect that pulls juice into the wicks. If you pull too hard, you can pull in more juice then the coil can vaporize. If this happens, the juice leaks into the air passage and you have a flooded tank.

Temperature: E-Juice is a viscous liquid. Which means that as it warms up, it will thin out. And in the opposite form, it will thicken when it gets cold. When it thins, it is more difficult for the wicks to hold back the thin juice. This usually causes the wicks to over saturate and, you guessed it, it will leak into the air passage and you have a flooded tank.

Damage: There are o-rings and gaskets used that can wear out with usage. If certain ones fail or get lost, leaking will occur, in turn flooding the air passage and causing you to have a flooded tank. Other than accidentally losing something, damage can occur when its carried in a purse or a pocket or by over tightening the tank to the battery. Over tightening is a very common cause of leaking due to the damage it creates.

Last edited:

Vapenoob2650

Dec 4, 2017
Use only the charger cable recommended by the manufacturer.

Juice in the tip means the e-liquid is not being vaporized properly, a condition generally known as flooding. You might be drawing (sucking) too strongly on the mouthpiece. A slow gentle draw should work better.

"Flooding" is a common occurrence in e-cigarettes. The definition of flooding is getting juice into the air passage of the tank. This can include any point between the mouth piece and the very bottom part that connects to the battery. Each tank has holes in that air passage, where the wicks passthrough. This is required for the device to work properly. Unfortunately, this opens up the possibility for flooding. The trick with flooding, is knowing how to avoid it. I’ll explain a little more, but a few common causes for flooding a tank include: improper filling, over filling, pulling too hard when hitting the device, and the temperature can even play a role and/or damage.

"Dry" or "burnt" hits are also a common occurrence in e-cigarettes. This happens when an inadequate quantity of e-liquid reaches the coil. This can occur from using an e-liquid which is too thick for a tank, intake holes for the e-liquid being inadequate, or using a bad wick or coil. Doing "primer puffs", which is taking a puff or two without power on, may eliminate this phenomenon.

Before I get into the explanation, let me explain how an e-cig works a little more in depth. Nearly every tank has a wick that is used to absorb the juice in the tank. This wick cuts through the air passage. Typically, the wicks look like strings hanging in the tank, but some have smaller wicks located at the bottom of the tank and the ‘strings’ are not visible unless the tank is disassembled. Each wick has a piece of wire that wraps around it in a coil. When you activate the button on the battery, you send electricity through the wire. As the wire heats up, it vaporizes the juice that is in the wick.

Improper Filling: When filling your tank, you have to be careful not to get juice into the center tube of the tank. This center tube is the air passage. When you take a draw, air comes from the bottom of the tank, through the air passage and into your mouth. If you get juice into this passage way, your tank is flooded.

Over Filling: If you over fill a tank (specifically a top coil like the ones that come with the starter kits and gift boxes), the wicks can become over saturated and just like a rain cloud, they will leak into the air passage. Once this happens, you have a flooded tank.

Pulling Too Hard: As I mentioned the wicks absorb the juice in the tank. As you pull on the device, you cause a vacuum effect that pulls juice into the wicks. If you pull too hard, you can pull in more juice then the coil can vaporize. If this happens, the juice leaks into the air passage and you have a flooded tank.

Temperature: E-Juice is a viscous liquid. Which means that as it warms up, it will thin out. And in the opposite form, it will thicken when it gets cold. When it thins, it is more difficult for the wicks to hold back the thin juice. This usually causes the wicks to over saturate and, you guessed it, it will leak into the air passage and you have a flooded tank.

Damage: There are o-rings and gaskets used that can wear out with usage. If certain ones fail or get lost, leaking will occur, in turn flooding the air passage and causing you to have a flooded tank. Other than accidentally losing something, damage can occur when its carried in a purse or a pocket or by over tightening the tank to the battery. Over tightening is a very common cause of leaking due to the damage it creates.

Oh wow I didn't know any of this! I guess I should have done my research before hand. I think it might be because I've been pulling to hard.

Thanks for all the helpful info!!

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Oh okay! good to know, now i just have to find an old charger. Thanks for the help!

And for the other problem when i take a puff i get juice in my mouth so I guess its leaking from airflow hole. Normally I get a really nice cloud but since it's been leaking juice the cloud is very sparse.
Yep. That’s flooding. What I do when a vape floods is wax a piece of toilet paper around the top of the vape to catch flying droplets and just shake it out. You can also do it into a garbage can but it sucks if you accidentally let go (avoid this) :p

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I think it might be because I've been pulling to hard. Do i need to do anything to fix a flooded tank, or will stopping the cause of it just fix it?

I'm not real familiar with your particular tank, but if you can pass a Q-tip or cotton-tipped applicator into the mouthpiece down to the heating coil you should be able to get rid of the extra juice in the airway.

After that, just use SLOW, GENTLE, LONGER drags while you vape. Remember, you're not smoking, you're vaping. A different technique.

I use a Q-tip to clean my tank (Uwell Crown) about once a week, as this area normally tends to collect "grudge". It seems to prolong how long I can use a drop in coil up to and beyond 4 weeks.

Last edited:

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
DO NOT i repeat DO NOT use any "fast chargers" you'd use on your phone, only 1amps max otherwise you risk damaging the battery (could be different with that one but i doubt it). If i were you i'd just use either a usb port on my pc or an older charger that's 1amp or less. I know some will probably disagree but don't worry it won't blow up or at least not that i know of.

NB: about that other problem you'd have to give us more details as we can't really help you with just that..... Could be you're flooding the atomizer though.
Sorry, but no. The higher the amp rating on the wall adapter (the actual charging circuitry is inside the mod) the better. A wall adapter rated too low will overheat and might fail. Using a USB port on the computer is a bad idea. If something goes wrong there's risk of damaging the motherboard of the computer. Expensive. The wall adapter should be rated for the correct voltage though, which in most cases is 5v (check the manual for the mod to check the correct charging voltage). Modern quick charge wall adapters are able to provide higher voltages, but they are backwards compatible with conventional wall adapters and will not provide more than 5v unless the device being charged demands it.

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Sorry, but no. The higher the amp rating on the wall adapter (the actual charging circuitry is inside the mod) the better. A wall adapter rated too low will overheat and might fail. Using a USB port on the computer is a bad idea. If something goes wrong there's risk of damaging the motherboard of the computer. Expensive. The wall adapter should be rated for the correct voltage though, which in most cases is 5v (check the manual for the mod to check the correct charging voltage). Modern quick charge wall adapters are able to provide higher voltages, but they are backwards compatible with conventional wall adapters and will not provide more than 5v unless the device being charged demands it.

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk
First time i ever heard this, true or not i've never had any issues with doing what i am (although i don't use my pc's usb ports) an external charger is always the best idea for 18650s imho and that's what everyone else told me to use (not limited to people on ecf, fact is i don't even think i've asked this here)

• Agree

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
First time i ever heard this, true or not i've never had any issues with doing what i am (although i don't use my pc's usb ports) an external charger is always the best idea for 18650s imho and that's what everyone else told me to use (not limited to people on ecf, fact is i don't even think i've asked this here)
The device he's using has an internal battery.

It's also a run-of-the-battery device and only provides the voltage provided by the charge state. On a fresh 4.2v charge, the vape is strong. Getting close to the 3.4v cutoff, it's weak.

Your pull strength and length have to adapt to the charge state.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi, I'm new to ECF and have a few questions:

I just bought the smok stick X8 and love it!! but I want to be careful with charging it. It came with a charging cable but no wall charger. MY phone one has a 5V output but the manual says the vape battery voltage range is 3.4-4.2V. Is it still okay if I use my phone charger to charge it?
Also today it's not making a good cloud and getting juice in the tip when i use it. Not sure what the problem is, does anyone know?
Welcome and glad you joined.
The information below can help with tank problems.
Might like to read:
Tank Flooding Explained | Learning Center | VaVaVape
Most Frequently Asked Vaping Questions Part 2
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...atomizers-for-new-vapists-how-they-work.5250/
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/tfv8-leaking.766439/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread