Status
Not open for further replies.

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
Well, I get to be 'That Person' today. My old laptop is seriously ill, and I had just enough 'found money'* to actually be able to get a (refurbished**) replacement before it completely dies. I'm assuming I need to reinstall the calculator and then restore the data from a backup. So I guess I'm looking for confirmation that I'm thinking in the right direction, and looking for the current address** for the install files. any help appreciated. It's reassuring and a little scary seeing years of backup files there. And it occurs to me that I should also be doing backups to removable media for those far more normal sudden death occurrences.

* In my universe 'found money' is the category for all of those unexpected bits of income outside the normal flow. When I was working it included bonuses in addition to gifts, rebates, inheritances (though I only had 1 small one of those) surprise tax refunds, etc. Since I can't work it's a bit more unusual, but there are still things like unexpected refunds after an insurance change or actually winning one of the many unavoidable small town raffles for good causes.

** Yeah, I know I could/should do a search, but I'm just coming off of a full week of Microsoft insisting on upgrades that error out, then start trying again right away with no chance to stop the endless cycle. And then getting an immediate message that my favorite old game isn't compatible with Windows 10 - when I've been cheerfully playing on an up to date windows 10 computer sitting beside me right now.

Reactions: IDJoel

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I'm assuming I need to reinstall the calculator and then restore the data from a backup. So I guess I'm looking for confirmation that I'm thinking in the right direction, and looking for the current address** for the install files. any help appreciated.
I think you are on the right track. I would do a fresh install from:
Juice Calculator
Once it is installed and up to date; transfer your most recent backup files. There should be a minimum of 2 files:
upload_2017-12-9_1-39-25.png

The numbers following the file names will be different, depending on when they were made, as they reflect date and time(?) of creation but they should match one another. If you use the label, and or report features, you may have as many as three additional backup files... just make sure they all have the same number sequence following the name.

Once you have copied those over, use the File>Restore from backup function in JuiceCalculator, and you should be good to go.

Oh, I guess I should mention where the backup files are (at least on mine). I used all default directories when I installed JC and my backup are located in Documents>JuiceCalculator. If you specified custom locations; you are on your own.:D

Let us know how it goes!

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
Thanks! I found the backup files already but did want a clean install. I'll be back to let you know how it goes when I get the new install done. I've been arguing with Windows 10 updates all week, and just got that sorted. Though why a favorite old city builder game (Caesar 3) was and is still running fine on Win10 on my old system comes out as totally incompatible on my new one is one of life's puzzlementss.

Reactions: IDJoel

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
Silly question, but have you tried running it in compatibility mode?
Yes, and stripped bare as well as with stable hacks to allow higher graphics levels. It would be one thing if it wasn't coming over from older Windows versions to 10, and not 10 to 10, but it has behaved well through many iterations. The last from 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 10.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Thank you @Ed Sause, I hope this thread never gets closed! It deserves a sticky; but I don't get a vote.

We are approaching a year (I think?) since our fearless leader (@HotRod19579; yes! I AM calling you out... <shrinking back in my hole>) has shown his face. I hope his reemergence comes quickly after the holidays. If nothing else; to share his coding, so others can carry his torch.

Juice Calculator IS still the most versatile e-liquid calculator available! Free; or paid!! And, it deserves more than a W.W. "un-review" death.

Anyone that says EJuiceMeUp, or JuiceGrinder, is better... PROVE ME WRONG! (I'm accepting "paid" challengers too!!!!)

G-Fog

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2016
Canterbury, New Zealand
A Merry Christmas to you too @IDJoel
Thank you for being the torch bearer for JC, I for one appreciate your constant assistance and promotion of the calculator.
Yes, it really would be great if @HotRod19579 were to return to carry on the development of this great product, but I do understand the pressure and stress that a product like this generates, and sometimes enough is enough, and you just can't do it anymore.
So for whatever reason he may have for not returning, his product is greatly appreciated.
Again, thank you for your perserverance.

Ed Sause

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2016
Merry Christmas to all.

I find that I am a rare breed on JC. I have not used any other calculator. This system fit exactly with everything I wanted and needed.

I have yet to use all of its many features. Thanks to @HotRod19579 for its development. Many thanks to @IDJoel and the many others for their continued support.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Thank you all for the kind words! But I am only one chipped tooth, on the much larger (and older), cog that has made up this thread. I am a late-comer that just has a little more energy, and perhaps too much time on my hands;), so I have been chiming in first.

@HotRod19579 will always be our axle, and I for one, will not believe he is "done," until he says so. In the mean time, I along with all the rest of you, do what we can to keep this thread chugging along.

I offer my thanks to all of you, along with HotRod, for providing me, with the understanding I have. I am nothing but the reflection of the wisdom, and kindness, of this thread (and ECF). I do nothing but pass along the help and kindness; all of you have already given me.

All I can say is; thanks to all of you! And:
6725.gif

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I've been curious.. What is with the bumping here? Does the thread automatically close for new messages if there are no new replies within a certain time frame?
Exactly; if the thread becomes inactive, it gets closed. I don't know if it is automated, or if it is left to the discretion of staff, but it gets closed. I also have no idea what the time frame is. I am just grateful that staffing is tolerant of the bumping, and allow the thread to remain open, for those of us that retain interest in it.:thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread