New Calculator to try

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomKr

Oct 20, 2018
If you left-click on his avitar (going to his initial post on page one is easiest); you can see his last log on. Yes, he still peaks in every month, or two.

As for PayPal; I would assume that as long as the account is still open/active, he is getting any and all donations.

As for HotRod being active... it depends on how you define it. He's alive; so he is active.:D But, it has been the better part of two years, since his last update.

To be fair, I don't know if it is health issues (the initial reason he took a hiatus), or if life just got too busy, or if he just had enough of the seemingly endless requests for changes (he was putting out updates on a near weekly basis).

At any rate, the program is stable, and does a solid job for which it was designed. I am tickled pink to have it!:thumbs:

If you are in a position to donate; I would say "go for it!" :D

OK, I heard enough. He deserve it. First ever donation I make for software!

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Well, it did not work. I inputted the amount and clicked, donate with paypal. The screen refreshed and presented me with the original screen. So I will check tomorrow on my paypal account, but it seems impossible, as I was not taken to my PayPal account.
Well... that's odd.:confused:
After you check tomorrow (and assuming it did not go through), you can put in an inquiry with PayPal, to see if it is still an active account? (I took a quick peak; but couldn't figure out how to navigate.:facepalm:)

Also, for whatever it is worth, I see HotRod logged on just 10 minutes ago. Maybe shoot him a private message ("Start a Conversation"); and ask if he is still taking donations. Maybe he will reply?

Let us know; if you get it figured out.:)

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
or if he just had enough of the seemingly endless requests for changes (he was putting out updates on a near weekly basis).

I've heard that it might be this one. But who knows, after a good hiatus he might end up deciding to jump back in. Although there theoretically isn't too much to be done except cleaning up some loose ends and improving the speed as the database get larger. And hopefully he could even open-source it, so it doesn't have to languish if some Windows update ends up having problems with it - and/or if something happens to him. Of course I hope he's ok, which should go without saying.

If it was open-source, I might even think about how to add some coil-making stuff. This apartment building's wireless internet seems to go out occasionally - so no access to steam engine (for an entire weekend, once). Of course when that happens, I just thanks my lucky stars that I got an over-the-air broadcast tuner for some TV, access to use Lightroom to adjust my images, and THIS program instead of having everything being held hostage on ELR/ATF. :thumb:

Reactions: IDJoel

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
Back again with Dymo P&P Printer issue. I need to mix soon (who me procrastinate?) and decided what-the-heck, I want to try to print labels with my little USB Dymo label writer - that shouldn't take long. So with a new computer and a still unfamiliar OS I've been fiddling around, and I've got it almost working.

The almost is the label length. I use fairly soft plastic bottles from fast tech and the labels stay on better when they wrap all the way around. So I measured the circumference, added 1/2" and used that for the paper size, then used a little less for the label size, got a good looking sample on the screen, printed, and the label was auto-fitting so it definitely wouldn't go around the bottle.

Now I've tried different spaces between the columns, variations on centered or left, and all the combinations of that, since I'm going for 2 font sizes on 1 row, though I also tried just 1. This really isn't super important, since I can use the software that comes with the printer and just type in the info I want, but I'm so close...

Any ideas?
For extra credit, Can I set something so the smaller of my font sizes can be vertically centered or set to the bottom, instead of the top?
dymop&p.JPG
dymo2.JPG
dymop&p.JPG dymo2.JPG

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I'm afraid I don't use the printer functions of HotRod's program... so I am of little help. :(

I am going to ask you to answer a couple of clarifying questions; in hopes it may give someone wiser, a head start to using you.

-- What specific Dymo printer are you using? (including specific model # can be helpful)
I tried looking for P&P printers on the Dymo website. And, the closest I could find was the PnP. Specifically, this one: LabelManager PnP

-- Which cartridge(s) do/are you using in it? (Again, pulling it out, and copying the model/part #, can be helpful)

Speaking in the most general of terms...
Whenever I am trying to troubleshoot a problem like you are now doing; I find it easiest to strip all data back to the bare minimum, and then add only one element at a time.

Since label length appears (from your post) to be your greatest concern; I would get rid of all text. This will confirm you can get a long enough label, to fully wrap around the bottle... without worrying if text, font, or graphic choices are contributing to the problem. (If the program doesn't allow for a blank label, add only the minimum number of characters required, and keep the font small... for now.)

When you get the level length to your liking; focus next on text. Choose a single font size. If it doesn't print properly; try a smaller font. Repeat until you get all data printed on a correctly sized label.

Once that is working; you can start experimenting on multiple fonts on a single line.

Get that working, and you can move on to multi-line, justifying/centering, graphics, or whatever. But... only add one variable at a time. I know it takes a little more time, and will likely waste a bit more label tape. However, the benefit is, it becomes much easier to identify what is likely causing any problem.

I wish I had a better/more immediate fix for you. But, that's the best I've got. :)

I wish you the best finding your solution.
:D:toast::D

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
Thanks for responding.

-- What specific Dymo printer are you using? (including specific model # can be helpful)
I tried looking for P&P printers on the Dymo website. And, the closest I could find was the PnP. Specifically, this one: LabelManager PnP
That's the 1 - really handy for me because it does print labels created on a full sized keyboard, and it doesn't take up much space.

-- Which cartridge(s) do/are you using in it? (Again, pulling it out, and copying the model/part #, can be helpful)

The cartridges are standard D1, 1/2 inch. I get a little compulsive at times, so I'm using at least 4 different colors so different manufacturers. (As a side note, the official DYMO brand are the poorest quality.) That's part of why printing labels isn't terribly important, since I'm also using coordinating bottle caps and device colors & wraps, the labels are mostly for the nic level and date made.

You're right, I didn't go all the way back, just to setting up printing defaults, new 'paper' size label defaults and creating completely new templates

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
You're right, I didn't go all the way back, just to setting up printing defaults, new 'paper' size label defaults and creating completely new templates
I respect that this is not a high priority for you. I also understand, that if you can get it operating to your satisfaction, it can help making labels that much easier. I'm all for making life a little easier!:)

If you haven't yet; you might like to read the help documentation for labels. It can be found under the Help tab>Display Help:
upload_2018-11-19_16-15-38.png

These are the primary sections dealing with labels:
upload_2018-11-19_16-29-34.png

Let us know how you fare.:)

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
I've been using JuiceCalculator for about 4 years now and one of it's greatest features is label creation and printing. The calculator is great too, but labels right from the recipe was the epic extension when Rod put that in the program, well from my perspective.

I've been printing labels for about 2 years now just using an inexpensive Brother B/W laser printer. I use Avery 5160 laser address labels (1" x 2 5/8") and the 5160 is already pre-programmed into the label module, so plug and print. The labels fit 15ml Boston Round bottles and bigger. I don't speed steep in water though, that would be a problem I think. I use a food dehydrator (@ 145deg F for 5hrs generally) so there's no moisture at all. But the labels are cheap and having labels on all my active mix projects and my finished recipes that I vape day to day it makes all the difference in the world having things clearly labeled.

If you have been thinking about doing labels and have a laser printer, or don't mind spending $59.00 on one, give labels a try. BTW, I tried the same labels, except the Avery labels for ink jet printers, in my inkjet and it was not good for me. The label ink rubs off and is a mess, and don't even think about having even a little juice on your hands and touch a label. It just smears. At least it did with both a Canon and Epson printer for me.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
Does anyone know what font(s) are used for this program?
I have given up on Windows (lost files, lost access to everything on my data drive, video broken).
I was running Linux for a while, then I got a package from my lovely wife. A new Mac Mini.
I have the program running, have a PDF printer to print to, but the PDF prints fine for probably half the page, then prints the rest half height characters.
I'd just as soon continue using this as it is the best I used, but without printing, its going to be a challenge.
Hope someone knows about the fonts, or another way to get a good printout from this inside OSX.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Does anyone know what font(s) are used for this program?
I have given up on Windows (lost files, lost access to everything on my data drive, video broken).
I was running Linux for a while, then I got a package from my lovely wife. A new Mac Mini.
I don't know the first thing about Mac's... ;) I've never owned one; never used one.

I believe @Scouser, @Hoggy, and (maybe?) @tshing02, have all have/had success using Mac. Perhaps, one or more of them will come along, and offer some Mac specific advise.

Generally speaking, printer fonts are set in the Options menu (Tools-->Options-->Print defaults-->Change font):
upload_2018-12-4_16-49-28.png

Also, the recipe name can have its font controlled separately, using the Print Label (File-->Print Label) panel:
upload_2018-12-4_17-5-15.png

Now, saying that; please understand that I am only speaking hypothetically. As, I do not use the label printing tools within JuiceCalculator. (I am still in the stone age; using an old Brothers handheld printer. :facepalm:)
I gleaned the above info from reading the Help file. You can read up for yourself, if you haven't already:), by trying a similar Help search:
upload_2018-12-4_17-17-26.png

The last thing I might consider looking at (again; I am not a Mac user, so I could be totally wrong :blush:); is the PDF reader you are using. It may offer the possibility, to edit text/fonts once the label is saved, but before it is printed. In Windows; Nitro Reader will let me do this with general documents (not sure if it would mess with label settings though). It might be worth a bit of experimenting.:D
:toast:

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
Generally speaking, printer fonts are set in the Options menu (Tools-->Options-->Print defaults-->Change font):

Thanks Joel! I have visited that menu 4-5 times and convinced myself that it was for label printing adjustment. I'll see what I can get from changing fonts.

There is no actual PDF printer program for the Mac, it uses CUPS and there are only old versions available according to my Google-fu. Anyway, glad I have an avenue to pursue.

Here's an example of the output.
Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 9.00.58 AM.png

Last edited:
  • Informative

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
The screenshot helps a lot... I was thinking labels, and not printing recipes. I am not sure the second suggestion I offered (screenshot 2) will help; as it is indeed under the Print Labels functions. But, it can't hurt to try.

That is odd, that it affects only the ingredient name, and not the entire line of text. Or, the entire line of text. I am at a loss... :confused:

I have no idea how this may apply to Mac, or your particular situation. But maybe, one possible work-around, might be to use the "Print to file" option. This is what I see (on a Windows 10 laptop) when I select File-->Print Recipe:
upload_2018-12-5_16-36-31.png

When I check the "Print to file" box, and click OK; I then get this:
upload_2018-12-5_16-43-27.png

What I found interesting, is that the only apparent format available (to me; and my Windows machine) is as a .prn file. A quick search on the web, and it appears .prn files are Mac printing compatible:
upload_2018-12-5_16-48-33.png

(source)

This, if you (on a Mac) see a similar option, might allow you to bypass any .pdf file-related issues.

I am totally grasping at straws...:blush: Hopefully, someone Mac savvy, will chime in soon. <fingers crossed> :)

• Useful
Reactions: ShowerHead

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
I am totally grasping at straws
Thanks Joel!

Yes, it is an odd problem for sure.
So, I asked the wife to return the Mac and I’m happily printing to PDF in my trusty Linux machine.

I didn’t like any of the web alternatives to this program, and this wasn’t the only thing the Mac just didn’t want to do. So, out it goes. It did last two weeks before annoyed me too much.

Thanks again for all you do here. We all appreciate it!

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Thanks Joel!

Yes, it is an odd problem for sure.
So, I asked the wife to return the Mac and I’m happily printing to PDF in my trusty Linux machine.

I didn’t like any of the web alternatives to this program, and this wasn’t the only thing the Mac just didn’t want to do. So, out it goes. It did last two weeks before annoyed me too much.

Thanks again for all you do here. We all appreciate it!
That's one way to fix the problem! :lol:

Glad you're back in business!!:thumbs:

Reactions: ShowerHead

AZ_Jeep

Jan 3, 2019
I'm new to the software and new to mixing....This is an excellent app. I'm having a issue with nicotine levels in recipes I entered (I use the word recipes loosely, for the most part they are One Shot all in ones), I think this is the problem.

I set the default to 12mg which is the mg that my wife vapes, I vape 6mg.

I added several of these One Shot mixes. Wanted to mix some up, for wife, 12mg is up and quantities are loaded.
For mine, I set to 6mg, didn't notice the Warning and Errors 'Nicotine level exceeded' while entering data, now am getting no quantities for nicotine, unless I move target Nicotine up to 12mg, anything lower and it blanks out.

I set default to 1, I think its fixed. But not sure.

Is there anyway to fix this without deleting and starting over?

Thanks!!

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Hi, @AZ_Jeep, and welcome to ECF.

I am guessing that you don't have your nicotine set up correctly as an ingredient. If you right-click your nicotine (in any of the recipes you currently have loaded) you should see a drop down menu like this:
upload_2019-1-13_16-37-59.png

Select the third option... "View/update ingredient," and you should see this window open:
upload_2019-1-13_16-41-6.png

Make sure that you have the correct ingredient type selected (indicated by the top red box). And, that you have the correct nicotine level set (indicated by the bottom red box).

Then, make sure that you do not have a nicotine value erroneously assigned to any of your other ingredients (PG. VG, and/or flavor concentrates).

Check that, and let us know if you are still having problems. :)

Reactions: AZ_Jeep

AZ_Jeep

Jan 3, 2019
Hi, @AZ_Jeep, and welcome to ECF.

I am guessing that you don't have your nicotine set up correctly as an ingredient. If you right-click your nicotine (in any of the recipes you currently have loaded) you should see a drop down menu like this:
REMOVED PICS

Select the third option... "View/update ingredient," and you should see this window open:
REMOVED PICS

Make sure that you have the correct ingredient type selected (indicated by the top red box). And, that you have the correct nicotine level set (indicated by the bottom red box).

Then, make sure that you do not have a nicotine value erroneously assigned to any of your other ingredients (PG. VG, and/or flavor concentrates).

Check that, and let us know if you are still having problems. :)

IDJoel,
Thanks for replying, your advice helped me! :thumbs:

Somehow a few of the flavors I entered new had 100.00 in the Nicotine Level (mg/ml) instead of 0.00, some were correct. Not sure how that happened, I really do not recall changing those values but I must have done something wrong.

Before I started entering anything I was looking at how things were set up, one thing I know I did change while looking over software was Tools > Options > PreSets - I messed around with the Amount (ml) setting - is that supposed to 5.00?
I thought I put it back to where it was but I'm not 100%. :blush: Didn't think that was a big deal unless I tried to load those presets Edit > Load Preset Values.

Thanks Again

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
IDJoel,
Thanks for replying, your advice helped me! :thumbs:
You're most welcome. I am glad I was able to be of some help!:D
Somehow a few of the flavors I entered new had 100.00 in the Nicotine Level (mg/ml) instead of 0.00, some were correct. Not sure how that happened, I really do not recall changing those values but I must have done something wrong.
That could have been, when you we checking out the preset setting, you described in your next paragraph.

Any changes there are treated as future "default" values (assuming you click on "Save" befor exiting the window). These values affect all new recipes; but do not affect existing ones.
I thought I put it back to where it was but I'm not 100%. :blush: Didn't think that was a big deal unless I tried to load those presets Edit > Load Preset Values.
This applies current/saved values to ALL recipes (existing AND future).
Before I started entering anything I was looking at how things were set up, one thing I know I did change while looking over software was Tools > Options > PreSets - I messed around with the Amount (ml) setting - is that supposed to 5.00?
Are you referring to this window?:
upload_2019-1-13_20-33-17.png

Amount refers to default recipe size (along with default nic level, and PG/VG ratio). These are the values each new recipe will auto-populate with. Of course, you are always free to change them... you just have to remember to do so. ;)

if you haven't already done so; check out the Help file included with the calculator (Help > Display Help). It is one of the more thorough tutorials I have come across. HotRod (@HotRod19579, the calculator's creator), has done quite a good job describing all of the various features and functions.
We, too, are always happy to try and lend a hand. :D:toast::D

One note of caution:
Be extremely careful playing with the Ingredient Editor (Edit > ingredient Editor). All changes are immediate. There is no "Save" button, or other bailout. The file opened is your root ingredient file; so, unless you are willing to risk messing that up, be very cautious about applying changes to this one window.

AZ_Jeep

Jan 3, 2019
You're most welcome. I am glad I was able to be of some help!:D

That could have been, when you we checking out the preset setting, you described in your next paragraph.

Any changes there are treated as future "default" values (assuming you click on "Save" befor exiting the window). These values affect all new recipes; but do not affect existing ones.

This applies current/saved values to ALL recipes (existing AND future).

Are you referring to this window?:
View attachment 792011

Amount refers to default recipe size (along with default nic level, and PG/VG ratio). These are the values each new recipe will auto-populate with. Of course, you are always free to change them... you just have to remember to do so. ;)

if you haven't already done so; check out the Help file included with the calculator (Help > Display Help). It is one of the more thorough tutorials I have come across. HotRod (@HotRod19579, the calculator's creator), has done quite a good job describing all of the various features and functions.
We, too, are always happy to try and lend a hand. :D:toast::D

One note of caution:
Be extremely careful playing with the Ingredient Editor (Edit > ingredient Editor). All changes are immediate. There is no "Save" button, or other bailout. The file opened is your root ingredient file; so, unless you are willing to risk messing that up, be very cautious about applying changes to this one window.

Yes, that is the window. I looked in the help, did a search on PreSet and it pulled up a really long text. I breezed through it but must have missed what I was looking for. I'll look again.

Thanks for the heads up on the Ingredient Editor!

I'm sure sooner or later I'll have more questions. That is an extensive app, HotRod (@HotRod19579 must have hundreds of hours invested in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread