New Ceramic Coil Ohms changing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
How much Ω variance are you talking about?

A more accurate way to describe head life is mls vaped per head, not a time period.
Someone that vapes 30 mls per day is going to get far less head life in time than someone vaping 3 mls per day.
Also dark or colored, overly flavored & especially heavily sweetened liquids will wreck heads rapidly, doesn't matter which heads you're talking about.

ellejewell2016

May 31, 2018
How much Ω variance are you talking about?

A more accurate way to describe head life is mls vaped per head, not a time period.
Someone that vapes 30 mls per day is going to get far less head life in time than someone vaping 3 mls per day.
Also dark or colored, overly flavored & especially heavily sweetened liquids will wreck heads rapidly, doesn't matter which heads you're talking about.
it will bounce between .5 to .43 it doesnt seem to be a significant amount, but I wouldnt imagine it fluctuating so much. I vape about 3-4mls a day.

Reactions: stols001

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
I am new to using ceramic coils I have the GT core Ccell. Its only a few days old, but the ohm keeps bouncing. I dont think this is normal. What is causing the issue and can I fix it? I paid alot of money for it as I was told that one coil could last for almost a month. Any thoughts?

Coils do NOT have a actual lifespan that's accurate.

A coil could last a month, but it can also last a few hours. It simply depends on usage and other factors

The liquid and how much sweetener it has is a big thing, some can kill a coil very fast (days).

If you had it too high or too low in the wattage range can kill it quickly.

If it's not primed correctly, you can kill a coil almost instantly.

If the Ohms are bouncing badly, then the coil might be dead. But if it's just changing a bit (like going from 0.5 to 0.55 to even a bit higher), that would be normal with SS, NI or TI, while Kanthal shouldn't change.

And some coils could be simply defective.

• Agree

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
it will bounce between .5 to .43 it doesnt seem to be a significant amount, but I wouldnt imagine it fluctuating so much. I vape about 3-4mls a day.
That's within a normal range... it's probably SS.

The resistance for all TC capable wire will increase when heated.

• Agree

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
When was the last time you thoroughly cleaned the 510 connection points & threading?
Part of routine maintenance is ensuring all parts of the 510 stay clean, shiny & dry.

Some Ω drift is normal from the coil heating & cooling during use.
From .5Ω to .43Ω is a .07 difference, seven one hundredths of an ohm.

It is very rare that a head marked .5Ω is actually .5Ω, mass produced replaceable attomizer heads are just not manufactured to extreme or even consistant tolerances.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
A certain amount of resistance change can be normal. If it's SS, it's not unusual for the ohms to rise slightly as that is the nature of the wire. It may or may not return to the original resistance as it cools, or at least return to a slightly lower resistance.

With that said, many coils of all persuasions may show slight resistance changes over time, although it's more common with SS. I would not personally worry a great deal about it, either way, because that is a very small shift.

Coils life as has been said, will depend on a lot of factors: usage, chain vaping, wattage level and type of eliquid (some are just known coil killers). Reducing gunking factors (sweet, dark, highly flavored or colored liquids, NETs, WTA, and high VG can all add gunk factors to the juice. The more of them you have, likely the less coil longevity. I find the ceramic coils to have decent coil life, but I DIY and have less gunking factors.

Best of luck,

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread