New coils don’t taste right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveslost

Jul 18, 2020
I have a smok morph 219, didn’t have any issues with smoking high nicotine juices before but my last 3 coils have all taste burnt as soon as I start using them. Of course I’ve primed them and waited a fair amount of time before heating up the coil. I used my fathers juice last night and sure enough the vape worked just fine. Like I said I’ve never had problems using 6 mg or 9 mg even higher. But now the only way it works is with 3mg mixed with 0mg

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I agree with my learned colleagues above. Burnt taste has nothing to do with nicotine strength. It's an indication that 1) your wattage is too high, 2) your wicking in not good, 3) your airflow is no good.

So, lower your wattage. Is your eliquid VG heavy? Maybe you could thin it out a little with some PG or distilled water?

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
2) your wicking in not good, 3) your airflow is no good.

Considering these both try to wick so that you've got about a .50 mm hole in the top section of the coil open.

Here let me better illustrate with a quick text drawing: (-)

Looking at it on the side of an open coil you'll see what seems an open tube through the coil atop the wick material. The wick material will just lay on the bottom portion of the coil. I often find this helps avoid dry hits, burnt tastes. It also improves your airflow overall.

As far as wick length, just enough to brush over the bottom of your deck's juice wells. Any more than that is wasted and leads to blocking airflow. Rayon holds juice a little better than cotton and won't dry out as quickly on you. Though you don't want to dry hit rayon.

Muji cotton I find is about the best cotton to use. You can get it on Fast Tech, apologies for not linking to it. I don't do any promotional type of stuff, I'm just too busy at the moment to link. *chuckles* It doesn't cost a fortune for Muji cotton. Think I got a 190 pad pack for less than $8.00 USD and I've given some away, still got plenty. :)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I have a SMOK morph 219, didn’t have any issues with smoking high nicotine juices before but my last 3 coils have all taste burnt as soon as I start using them. Of course I’ve primed them and waited a fair amount of time before heating up the coil. I used my fathers juice last night and sure enough the vape worked just fine. Like I said I’ve never had problems using 6 mg or 9 mg even higher. But now the only way it works is with 3mg mixed with 0mg

Pour some juice into a shot glass and soak the coil in it for 30 minutes, then dry it off, blow out the center hole, and vape it. Some coils are hard to get saturated if you don't prime them. You can re-use the juice from the shot glass. Pour it back into the bottle.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I'll take a new coil, put a few drops of juice in all the holes around the sides, drop juice down inside the coil and thoroughly soak the cotton. Then after I put everything together, I'll close off the airflow and take several pills on the vape without firing it, just to make sure its pulling juice into the wicking. Then, starting at a lower wattage I'll vape for a few mins, increasing the wattage every few hits till I get up to my desired level. I can accomplish this in less than 15 mins from start to final watt setting and I never get a burnt coil. At least not until I've used it a couple weeks and then when you get a burnt taste you know the coil is ready to change out. Burnt coil at the beginning is almost always user error aside from a truly defective coil. And in all honesty, I've never seen a defective new coil. I tend to think the "defective " coil is an excuse for user error, knowingly or not.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
And in all honesty, I've never seen a defective new coil. I tend to think the "defective " coil is an excuse for user error, knowingly or not.
I disagree... once in a while you just get a defective coil, then the next one is fine.
I agree about doing "primer puffs"... good tip!

• Agree
Reactions: Katya

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Considering these both try to wick so that you've got about a .50 mm hole in the top section of the coil open.

Here let me better illustrate with a quick text drawing: (-)

Looking at it on the side of an open coil you'll see what seems an open tube through the coil atop the wick material. The wick material will just lay on the bottom portion of the coil. I often find this helps avoid dry hits, burnt tastes. It also improves your airflow overall.

As far as wick length, just enough to brush over the bottom of your deck's juice wells. Any more than that is wasted and leads to blocking airflow. Rayon holds juice a little better than cotton and won't dry out as quickly on you. Though you don't want to dry hit rayon.

Muji cotton I find is about the best cotton to use. You can get it on Fast Tech, apologies for not linking to it. I don't do any promotional type of stuff, I'm just too busy at the moment to link. *chuckles* It doesn't cost a fortune for Muji cotton. Think I got a 190 pad pack for less than $8.00 USD and I've given some away, still got plenty. :)

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. The OP uses pre-made drop-in coils. Sorry if I wasn't clear--when I said "your wicking is not good," I meant "your coil is not wicking properly" for whatever reason. Mental shortcut.

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. The OP uses pre-made drop-in coils. Sorry if I wasn't clear--when I said "your wicking is not good," I meant "your coil is not wicking properly" for whatever reason. Mental shortcut.

Ah, okay the drop in coil assembly type, hm, different story then. Bugger. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread