New E-Smoker's First Impressions with Joy e 510 manual switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

Moved On
Jun 18, 2009
San Diego, CA.
I did the straw mod and cart, cut it at the angles but I think there is a problem with how it is saposed to work. The hole at the botom is covered up after the first 2-3 drops then there is still air in beteween droprs 3-4 so any air that can't go up the straw because the hole at the bottom was covered by drop 2-3, then that air will keep drop 4,5,6,7,8 from going in. Anybody else see what I'm saying?

Where do I get a syringe online and what size do I need?

Anybody know? I think I saw a juice seller that was giving away a free syringe? who was it? link?

Last edited:
I'm soooo happy with my 510, it is so good.

I started with the Marlboro flavor and now I'm on the Menthol ones, I have not had an analog since June 15th, and I'm loving it.

The best part is that I can have it while I'm in my office, and now 2 of my analog smoking co-workers have switched. I'm so proud of them.

I also have a Smoking Everywhere e-cig, not good, but it made me start!

Thank you all in this forum for your guidance and indications, I think I can say you saved my life, or at least made it better. Thank you!

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Where do I get a syringe online and what size do I need?
I ordered a syringe from Johnson Creek when I ordered juice.
My guess, although I am just guessing, is that most juice sellers have them available for order.

I wouldn't know for sure, though, because this is my first juice order.
:)

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
That's what I meant by maintenance. I have to top off after every 3-5 drags, or else the cart begins to melt, the filler becomes stuck to the atty, and the taste I get is unbearable (and probably pretty unhealthy). And even when I do top off, I still get a plasticy taste. I want a device that I can puff on for a an hour, even 20 minutes without having to think about. I'm hoping that an 801 or 601 will be able to live up to those expectations, because my 510 hasn't thus far.
I'm going to assume you have the manual battery.

And if so, it sounds to me like you keep that battery going way too long.
If that is the case no other device is gonna be much better for you.

I liken the manual battery to driving a stickshift.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
I ordered a syringe from Johnson Creek when I ordered juice.
My guess, although I am just guessing, is that most juice sellers have them available for order.

I wouldn't know for sure, though, because this is my first juice order.
:)

I actually like a needle bottle better. They're sometimes referred to as precision oiler bottles. They're less messy than a syringe. I've been buying mine at a hobby store but Innovapor.com is looking into stocking them. I'd like to see more suppliers look into needle bottles as an option, because you can't find a better way to fill a cart IMO.

fresca

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
That's what I meant by maintenance. I have to top off after every 3-5 drags, or else the cart begins to melt, the filler becomes stuck to the atty, and the taste I get is unbearable (and probably pretty unhealthy). And even when I do top off, I still get a plasticy taste. I want a device that I can puff on for a an hour, even 20 minutes without having to think about. I'm hoping that an 801 or 601 will be able to live up to those expectations, because my 510 hasn't thus far.

I'm basically reiterating two points Surf Monkey mentioned.

I've seen a couple of posts where you've said you're experiencing a "plasticy taste".

- If you're concerned that it's the filler, trim it. I trim mine all the time; anywhere from 1/8" to 1/4" at times. I found that if I try to pull "loose" fibers from the cart, it causes more fibers to stick out... Get a pair of scissors out, pull the filler out a bit, trim it, then stuff it back down in there. Once I get mine set, I'll use the same cart for a couple of days, with no problems of loose filling coming out.

- Don't vape on a hot atomizer. It can emit a really icky taste. If you feel the atty getting hot, set it down for a minute (it doesn't take long to cool off).

I'll admit, these PVs do have require a period of adjustment -- both to the unit and to the user.

FWIW: I also have an 801, and while many users love theirs, I don't like mine. I feel like I'm siphoning molasses through it, just to end up with a mouthful of eJuice and very little vapor/throat hit. But that's ME... I imagine if I took more time to adjust to it, I would like it better. I'm just so hooked on my 510 now, that I don't even look at the 801 anymore.

Good luck :)

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I actually like a needle bottle better. They're sometimes referred to as precision oiler bottles. They're less messy than a syringe. I've been buying mine at a hobby store but Innovapor.com is looking into stocking them. I'd like to see more suppliers look into needle bottles as an option, because you can't find a better way to fill a cart IMO.
Thanks for the advice, and I'm glad the syringe was only around 2 bucks.
:D

I'll be heading over to the nearest hobby store and picking one up. I was going to head over there anyway to get my filler so I can be ready when it comes time to start refilling my own cartridges.

It might even come in handy from dripping on my RN4081 backup, which now sits unused.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
Wooooooow. First drag after pushing the filling down and clouds of vapor! I think I'm startig to like this whole vaping thing :)

Good to hear! These little devices are subject to subtle differences in setup and manufacture. Sometimes the littlest adjustment can make a really big difference. It's a matter of knowing what to try more than anything.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
It might even come in handy from dripping on my RN4081 backup, which now sits unused.

I've found that they're great for exactly that purpose. Units with the atomizer bridge way down in the throat of the assembly can be tricky to drop with a plastic nose bottle or an eyedropper. But a needle tip can go right down to the bridge without obstructing your view. Really handy.

deeanne59

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Thank you all for your 510 cart suggestions. I have been using my 510 for 3 weeks now....refilled my carts with polyfill, and had a hard time with fibers and bad taste. I didn't know until I just read your posts- that I was supposed to put the filler lower down in the cart. I have been trimming it even with the end of the cart....and when I pull the cart off to refill, I have a LOT of fibers pull from the filler, with some in the atty. Plus, I have been having to refill the cart way too often-with a harder draw. Thanx again for suggestions.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
No problem. I figured it out when I got some pre-packed carts with the batting down in the neck a little. They worked vastly better than the ones I'd been using, so I started modifying my batting level to match. Eureka! Now they all work way better.

Oh, and another observation: if the round tip carts seem to be burning, you might want to try some whistle tip carts instead. The only place I've seen them so far is at dietSMOKES. They cost the same as round carts, but they're made with harder plastic. It might be more resistant to heating than the softer round ones. Mine do seem to give a cleaner hit, though I've never had a burnt cart of any kind so far.

vapordad

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Oak Park, IL -- USA
Good stuff. Glad I am reading this. Surf, I am still waiting on my 510 from Inno. Noah has been great. My fault for ordering a black PCC (but he did send it w/o and then it came in). Monday I should have both (sent to office)...

I have been using my 2 piece ones so far, but am so looking forward to the manual battery and the consistent vapor w/ TH. Right now my Red Dragon has awesome vapor, but cannot tell it until I exhale - no TH. and my VaporKing/KR808D-1 has kickin' TH and very inconsistent vapor--it seems to be very sensitive to getting the right cart, or filling it correctly, or something. Haven't quite figured it out, but none of the prefilled carts for it have given any vapor...Some Vapor "King"?!?

anyway. all these tips are great so I don't get frustrated with what I thought might be the one...at least until I figure out how to mod the best one and make a fortune off all you guys.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
I referred to the the 510 as "a bit of a prima donna at times" in another thread, and I think that's a fair characterization. It has some quirks and it takes a little experimentation to get it working optimally. It's a matter of knowing what subtle techniques work best. When the 510 is performing at top form, there's nothing better.

vapordad

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Oak Park, IL -- USA
BTW, Surf. You should give Noah the tip about the 1/8" lower in the cart for the fill, as I just re-watched the video on his site (done by intellicig) and Scott (I think) shows the filler to be flush with the top -- and points it out.

Any other tips (if you watched his vids) that I shouldn't take from him? he does seem to put more drops on the atty than I think you'd suggest? Avoid flooding...would you reduce his suggested 5 to 2 or 3?

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
BTW, Surf. You should give Noah the tip about the 1/8" lower in the cart for the fill, as I just re-watched the video on his site (done by intellicig) and Scott (I think) shows the filler to be flush with the top -- and points it out.

Good suggestion. I'll mention it to him.

Any other tips (if you watched his vids) that I shouldn't take from him? he does seem to put more drops on the atty than I think you'd suggest? Avoid flooding...would you reduce his suggested 5 to 2 or 3?

His videos are pretty solid and contain a lot of great tips.

Is the dripping info on the EVO or the 510 video? I think the EVO might be able to absorb more direct drip fluid (though I don't actually own one yet, so take that with a grain of salt.) I don't do a lot of dripping because I don't like to flood the atomizer. I also don't like to burn it too dry.

But if dripping is your preferred method, I'd suggest doing it like this with the 510: Use a cart with no batting in it. Some suppliers ship their atomizers with an empty cart on the end. If you have one of those, use it. Otherwise, take a cart and pull the polly out. Then drop two or three drops directly on the bridge, put the empty cart on and vape until the vapor production starts to drop. Don't keep hitting it once the vapor starts to decrease. Go back in and add another couple of drops. If you run the atomizer too dry, it can heat up too much and burn out. If you drip too much fluid on it, the atomizer can flood and produce too little vapor. Personally, I think five drops is too many, but drop size is completely subjective. I use a needle bottle when I drip the 510 because it makes it easier to get down to where the bridge is in the throat of the atomizer unit.

Bascally, with the 510, dripping takes a little work. I think there are other models that are more suited to it. It seems like the 510 has a slimmer tolerance for fluid amount in the atomizer wick.

Last edited:

vapordad

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Oak Park, IL -- USA
It's in the 510 (maybe the maintenance one). Mostly referring to wetting it after cleaning...but he does discuss direct dripping.

I have only 2 piece models, so this will be (when I get it) my first one with an atty. I don't plan on direct dripping with this based on other comments. It seems that topping off is best for this if you cannot take the time to completely refill.

I didn't order any extra carts, should I? If so, do you get the flavored or the "fresh" from him? of course, I'll wait and see, he may have thrown a few in there.

Since I'll have the PCC, and have back ups, do you think I need anything right away other than the two Attys and the 2 batts? I have plenty of ECO and other fav flavors..

SleepHater

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
PA, CA

Vapordad, I gotta take credit for the vids! Scott produced but that was solely an innovapor and Igetcha69 Films production.

I cannot really give advice on direct dripping with the 510, mot my primary device. It does seem to be like Surf said, not tolerant to flooding, less is more, IMO.

I will say this that I am always hesitant to second guess Scott (igetcha) that guy has used, abused, reviewed and eschewed (not sure what that means but I like the itteration) about every e-cig on the planet. Plus he KNOWS how to get vapor out of the device. I also know that the 510 ranks top of his list for vapor production.

I am not saying anything more than that Scott was not following my or the manufactuerers or any one elses procedure. I told him "just do what has worked for you best" when it came to the cart techniques.

One thing hace noticed is that the 510 bridge can be out of allignemnt this can ussually be fixed with a little gentle manhandling. also the carts have a recatangulat opening and mine (IMO) draws and tastes a little better if the bridge and cart opening are not opposed. In other words line up the long dimension of the bridge with the long dimension of the cart opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread