New here, done alot of research and have a few questions for experienced PV users

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanMachine

Nov 4, 2011
Chicago
Hey all,
As a smoker that loves the motion and sensation but hates the downfalls, I've decided to try vapor. I'm looking for something that will fit in my pocket (not ready for variable power yet ;)). I considered an enclosed tank system such as ego-t or ovale elipse but read about horrible cons about every one leaking or each cartomizer needing wick tweak/replacement.

-Cartomizers seem to offer better value/quality of vapor in the longrun opposed to atomizers?

-It seems there are no mobile variable power options that are less than $100 Is this the case?

-I've read that with standard 3.7v, you can only use LR carts. From what I understand, you adjust voltage for taste and larger pull/resistance can only be used with 4-6v. I've concluded that since tanks/clearomizers have dual coils, that this would be too much of a pull for nice vapor on 3.7v? Is this true?

Based on this I decided to steer away from the tank system or atomizers. I thought of going with an ego-t battery (I liked the button-off function), and pairing it with Boge cartomizer blanks (considering kanger). Good start?

Also, anyone know if the kanger dual coil still houses at least one of the coils on the bottom?

Sorry in advance for ignorance and thank you.:facepalm:

Maximillian

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2011
Nebraska
Heyas DeanMachine,

Welcome to the ecf and the world of vaping :)

Sounds like you're researched things well!

Just a couple suggestions and observations for you. Personally, I love the ego paired with lr cartos. If you find an ego/carto kit, I'd order a normal (non-tank) atty or two. LR or SR, your choice. And a driptip or two. Driptip + atty is my favorite way to try out new flavors without dedicating a carto to it.

Or, get an ego kit that comes with the ego-t batts. Since you're in Chicago, you're probably close to the Cignot retail store, and I know they give the option of ego-t batts with the normal ego kit. Then just buy a box of cartos for 5-10 bones from wherever.

I'd suggest getting a variety of flavors of juice in small (3ml - 10ml) bottles. Be adventurous with the flavors. Try the tobaccos and menthols, since we pretty much all went that route at first. But throw in a few desert/fruit/whatever flavors that sound good to you.

It's not that with a 3.7v pv you can only use lr atties and carts. It's that lr atties/carts aren't recommended for pv's higher than 3.7v (this is a generalization. Specific values/suggestions may vary by user and vendor). Both LR and SR atties/carts will work just fine on 3.4v - 3.7v devices, in my experience.

Anything higher than 3Ω resistance is generally only for use on higher volt or variable voltage systems. My personal favorite at the moment is an ego (3.7v batt, 3.4v under load) paired with a 1.7Ω carto. There are a ton of atty/carto options out there, and it's an easy way to start in to vaping, without splurging with a variable volt pv, from what I've found.

btw, your statement about larger pull/resistance confuses me a bit. Resistance is the electrical value of the atty/carto. I generally think of pull as how hard I have to inhale to get a hit off my pv, but that could just be the way I think of things. Haven't had any electronics schooling in more decades than I care to think of.

ego-t batts with boge SR or LR cartos are a great way to start, imho :)

Hope this helps, and welcome again!
Maximillian the Vaguely Disreputable

DeanMachine

Nov 4, 2011
Chicago
Thanks!
I meant pull as in resistance I guess (what you're taking off the power supply, and have in remaining voltage).

As for flavors, I went to order off puresmoker as I heard they were good. Thinking silver leaf tobacco, appleonia (heard was good), and clove or coffee.

I'll have to check out the store! Now I don't have to buy a pack of analogs tomorrow :)

So...What if you used a dual coil cartomizer or even tank on a 3.7 opposed to HV? Clearer form of the question; how does adding resistance change the vapor on a low power battery?

Goldenkobold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Lower Resistance means more wattage so more heat this leads to higher Throat Sensation and Vapor Production, at some point it may get TOO hot for you or to hot for your ejuice but thats a personal thing.

Sounds like you are off to a better start than many an ego style battery and some cartomizers will get you started and after awhile if you have some things you want improved (more battery life, larger juice well, higher voltage) well at least you will have a baseline to go off of.

I think the Ego Mega Dual Coil Cartomizers look pretty sharp on an ego battery and they hold a decent amount of juice.

Maximillian

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2011
Nebraska
I've used smoktech 1.5Ω dual coils on my ego-t batts with no ill effects so far. They're not my favorite though. I've found boge LR (2.0Ω single coil) and smoktech 1.7Ω single coil cartos give me more warmth, more vapor, and more flavor than the dual coils.

It's all a matter of personal preference, though :)

Maximillian the Mostly Mischievious

Bozzlite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Central Texas
Recommend a standard Ego or Riva 510 kit and some Boge 2.0 cartomizers. Get a couple of drip tips too.

Keep the atomizers that come with the kit for testing new flavors. The cartos hold 1ml of juice compared to the 3 or 4 drops you can drip on the atomizer for flavor testing.

This place has some of the best pricing on starter kits: E-Liquid and Electronic Cigarette Shop - Category Listings

Use the 20% discount button at the top before you start browsing.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
BTW I think Ovale is an Ego and real Egos (and most clone Egos) are not 3.7v - they are switched 3.6/3.2 for an average of 3.4v. The Rivas 510 kits at Liberty-Flights.com are 3.7v (because they are latest stock of Eastmall-made Riva 510's).

Everyone can use an atomizer. You don't want to use cartos to try juice samples. I use a normal non-tank atomizer and drip tip to test juices, vape occasional juices at home as well as a couple that are thicker than I will put in cartomizers.

You can use normal resistance cartos on 3.7v - I don't know who would have told you that you can't. Big battery devices (450mah+) are the ones that CAN use LR, but they can still use standard resistance 2.5-3ohm stuff. I do. I do because I share cartos between my slim 510 and KR8 manuals (which should not use LR) and my big 3.7v devices. if you wanted to get a lot of heat out of standard resistance then yes - you would use them of high voltage. I don't use high voltage.

Tanks (the kind used with tank atomizers) have no coils. Carto tanks use whatever they come with or you put in them - dual or single coil. Clearomizers aka CE2 are single coil. Deluxe Fluxomizers/CE3/Smokymizers are single coil. There do exist some clear things with dual coils and they will say they are dual coils.

Some people say you should not use 1.5 ohm stuff on mass produced enclosed batteries like Ego/Ovale/Riva etc and that their circuitry is only borderline able to handle that high of a current draw, One person fried 2 Ego batteries using 1.5 ohm atomizers. One person said anything below 1.7ohms is iffy for Ego-type batteries and should generally only be used on mods. Read here what Windwalker said:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-keep-killing-my-batteries-please-advice.html

Mobile variable voltage w/ evercool circuit - lowest i think is $55 for a plastic box mod from old Goat (you add batteries and charger)

Last edited:

DeanMachine

Nov 4, 2011
Chicago
Well crud lol. I ordered the gear last night, so hopefully this LR w/ ego battery pop doesn't happen to me (maybe it was only with cisco's?). Also, anyone know if the ego-t's have over volt protection (OVP)? Are the ego-t's any exception to the <3.7v ego rule?

I ordered 2 ego-t batts, 7 boge lr cartos, 1 boge DC, charger, and 3 flavs. The only reason I didn't get an atomizer and drip tip is because I don't see myself "dripping" out and about, and I haven't found any local groups/shops where I can sample flavors without paying for a 6ml and waiting to ship.

Thank you for the shop recommendations, I wish I would have seen that last night (OR NOT BEEN SO EXCITED/NIC FIT TO ORDER ;)). Though for everything +shipping -flavors, I paid around $60. Hopefully I didn't get ripped (you can be honest).

DORMouse-Thank you for clearing that up, I thought tanks/map tanks/flux's/ce2's had dual because I thought each "tendril" was a coil. They do however sell a "liquidnator" which is a tank with a slotted dual coil carto inside (I may be mistaken again). This is desirable as the slots allow the carto to stay moist.

Well, the batt is 650mah so LR shouldn't be a problem in that case, hopefully my new batt's don't fry :blink:.

You've all been so helpful, thank you tons :bow:.

p.s.- I don't think anyone addressed one question out of the hundred I asked :). Do the DC cartos from Kanger still have a coil on the bottom?

Last edited:

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Well crud lol. I ordered the gear last night, so hopefully this LR w/ ego battery pop doesn't happen to me

Don't sweat it! I and MANY others have been using 1.5Ω dual coil/eGo batt combos, in my case over six months, with no issues. In fact, there are several renown ECF vendors that sell eGo type batt/1.5Ω DC kits. Go figure...

Ya did good on your order! Enjoy... thumbsup.gif

Michael Curry

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2011
Panama City, FL
I considered an enclosed tank system such as ego-t or ovale elipse but read about horrible cons about every one leaking or each cartomizer needing wick tweak/replacement.

The Elipse is a nice little PV... emphasis on little. The vapor and flavor were good for a tank, very little influence on the flavor as compared to a carto, actually. It is small, but I think it felt even smaller to me since I am used to holding something much larger. My main issue is that it appears to be totally proprietary.

eGo-T is one of those things that I think gets a skewed reputation. It's a huge seller. You see a lot of complaints on it in forums. OK, so even at a 1% failure rate, if you have a million users, there are more bad units out there. That and the fact that people with a problem tend to be a lot more vocal and visible. That's only logical... You have an issue, you ask how to correct it. If everything is going well, there's nothing to say. Neither I nor my wife ever had any leaking issues or anything with our eGo-T's.

-Cartomizers seem to offer better value/quality of vapor in the longrun opposed to atomizers?

I would have to say "yes" on that. Boge is the carto by which other carto's are judged. You can get 15 of them for 20 bucks. Taste and vapor production is excellent.

-I've read that with standard 3.7v, you can only use LR carts. From what I understand, you adjust voltage for taste and larger pull/resistance can only be used with 4-6v. I've concluded that since tanks/clearomizers have dual coils, that this would be too much of a pull for nice vapor on 3.7v? Is this true?

Actually, if the 3.7v device in question is a slim battery model, you can't use LR on it. It will kill the battery. Actually, I am even cautious with a 650 mAh battery and an LR. It all depends what kind of vapor you're looking for. Some people want the most intense thing they can get. Some like LR's at 6 volts. OK, so that's about the same wattage as the lamp on my nightstand.

Since you're talking about going eGo-T battery - you can use pretty much any carto out there. The higher the resistance, the 'cooler' the vape. It's all a matter of personal preference on what you find enjoyable.

Based on this I decided to steer away from the tank system or atomizers. I thought of going with an ego-t battery (I liked the button-off function), and pairing it with Boge cartomizer blanks (considering kanger). Good start?

That's an excellent combination. The Boge carto's are the standard by which others are judged. For reference, I have 7 different kinds of carto's here on my desk right now. Yeah - my desk is a total mess. But of those 7 varieties, Boge is the only one I have ever bought twice. I have 6 boxes of them in the desk drawer. Not a 'fan' kinda thing - it's just that they do what they should do, consistently and well. And at 20 bucks for 15 of them, you can't beat it.

mynameisrob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
PH-Illadelph-IA, PA
I would be very careful using LR on a 650mah ego, especially if your just starting out. Your leaving yourself very little room for error. Thats why Id go with the Riva or an E-Power 14650. Their both 3.7v and can handle the LR much easier.
I use the E-Power and love it, especially that it uses non-proprietary batteries. $4 bucks fr a replacement compared to eGo/Riva batts that are $14-20. Pair it with the 1.7 LR "Ressurectors" and youve got a great setup. I get about a day and a half before I need to switch batteries and the Ressurectors are awesome

DeanMachine

Nov 4, 2011
Chicago
So, I just got my order in today, and it couldn't have come sooner (nic fit nowsatasfied).

Refresher: I'm using 650mah Ego-t batts with 2.0 LR Boge Cartos, w/ 1.6% nic(medium) flavors 80/20 pg/vg mix(long time medium smoker, recently was smoking pack a day of lights)[haven't tried my DC LR Carto yet]

Experience: I like it, it's as satisfying as smoking, I think it will help me quit. The throat hits were stronger than I expected! Though I've read up and seen how drinking a lot of water is necessary.

Last questions:
-I've been holding down the button mostly 1-2 secs and it gives me the inhale thats closest to smoking(medium amount of vapor and throat hit). I'm afraid to hold it down any longer and risk the batts burning up. How long/whats the longest you would hold the button (seconds)[with 650mah batt and LR cartos (2.0)]?

-The smoke could be cooler, but im not sure if thats the LR, or VG, and I don't want to sacrifice speed or throat hit. suggestions?

-I've heard that once you use a dry carto, the taste ruins it, and you should toss it. As someone who likes the stretch the livelihood of his products, I want to keep it wet and vape it until it's ALMOST empty. How do you guys keep track of the volume of e-juice when the thing isn't clear!?

-I just put 15 drops in a reg size carto (condom method, top fill) and it tastes like burning plastic, do I need to wait for it to soak into the polyfill? is this carto ruined?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread