New here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starscream66

Jun 6, 2019
Hi everyone, I have a couple questions. Naturally that's why I joined the forum. I'll add them here but I haven't even had a chance to look around to see if I can find the answers on my own so I'll be doing that as well.

I'm new to vaping. Been at it about 3 months now. I started with a pretty basic Sigelei Chronus kit. I wasn't enjoying the tank as much as I liked my friend's Freemax mesh pro tank so I bought one of those and I really enjoy this setup so far.

But I'm a modder.. cars, computers, whatever. I can't leave well enough alone.

So I ordered my first RDA. I got the Hellvape Rebirth. Which brings me to my first question.

I was hoping to get something more out of the RDA.. better flavor, clouds bro clouds, something.. but in pretty much every way I enjoy my Freemax tank more.

I wondered if I was wicking it wrong, using the wrong wattage or just missing something. I bought a pack of prebuit coils. Don't remember the brand but it was a variety of coil types. The all seem about the same to me. Tried less cotton (that was definitely something I was doing wrong early on. I was using way too much) but I still don't feel like the RDA is even worth using other than the fact that I enjoy putting coils in it and eventually building my own coils.

On top of that I get a lot of spitback... Splashes of hot liquid onto my tongue or throat is no fun.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi and welcome.
How long did you smoke and how many per day?
Can you post a photo of your build?
You will need to tell us a bit more about the coils you use. Material, ID, resistance, single/dual, power used?
What features did the Hellvape have that made it your first choice?

Cheers
I
ETA: ECF is FREE to browse. No membership needed. Lurkers are very welcome!

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
Welcome aboard and hope you enjoy your time here.

I don't know the particular rda you are using but the odd time I have had spitback with an rda it was actually because I hadn't used enough cotton when wicking.

Others'll be along shortly with more/better advice...

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Thinking of a rebirth myself, have the Dead Rabbit SQ and Drop Dead Rabbit, which are similar. As others have said, might be too little wick. Coil choice is critical too, as well as placement. A pic might help, as well as knowing the ohms, and wattage. DRSQ with 0.18ohm Ni80 3.5id. if I run it at 65w, it spits a bunch... 80w and it pops to life with a bang, gives a semi-warm vape, and a little "misting," 90w and the misting diminishes, and the vape gets hotish...

Attachments

• IMG_20190513_141223.jpg
    IMG_20190513_141223.jpg
    982.6 KB · Views: 11

Starscream66

Jun 6, 2019
Hi and welcome.
How long did you smoke and how many per day?
Can you post a photo of your build?
You will need to tell us a bit more about the coils you use. Material, ID, resistance, single/dual, power used?
What features did the Hellvape have that made it your first choice?

Cheers
I
ETA: ECF is FREE to browse. No membership needed. Lurkers are very welcome!
I've actually never been a smoker. I use to use chewing tobacco. Not super heavily but I decided it would be better to switch to vaping. Initially my interest in vaping really started with CBD oil. But it's also very much helped me kick the chew.

The coils I've been using are from a Geek Vape 6 in 1 pack. With my limited experience and knowledge I haven't noticed a difference at all from one coil to another. For the most part they are all KA1 and 0.19 ohm in a dual build.

I believe the coils are 2.5 ID. I've ranged my wattage from about 30 (almost no vapor production) to 100 (good vapor, decent flavor, still has spitback)

My photos aren't great but I tried to show gap for airflow as well as a top view
0915f5135727ad2dd414ef04c79febfe.jpg
753ff2fced79df463a3c6f57bc1c0c78.jpg

Starscream66

Jun 6, 2019
Thinking of a rebirth myself, have the Dead Rabbit SQ and Drop Dead Rabbit, which are similar. As others have said, might be too little wick. Coil choice is critical too, as well as placement. A pic might help, as well as knowing the ohms, and wattage. DRSQ with 0.18ohm Ni80 3.5id. if I run it at 65w, it spits a bunch... 80w and it pops to life with a bang, gives a semi-warm vape, and a little "misting," 90w and the misting diminishes, and the vape gets hotish...
You know I actually was thinking more wattage would just make it worse. And since I still had spitback at 100 watts I didn't even think to go higher. But after reading your post I cranked it a little higher to 110 and it's much better.

Also the coils I have in now are actually 0.29 ohms. Not the other 0.19 and 0.18 I was using before.

Reactions: stols001

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Those look bigger than Ø2.5mm.

Have you dry burned them to be sure they glow evenly and synchronously?

With a 0.19Ω dual build you're probably going to aim for 80W or so.

Spitback happens where there are air bubbles in your wicking and it becomes more pronounced as the wattage increases. With cotton you want to use enough that there is moderate resistance when you try to slide it back and forth (dry). Hard to slide means dry hits. Easy to slide means popping and spitback. The alternative wicking is material is rayon which can be wicked much more densely and can be pushed to higher wattages.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Welcome to ECF
Definitely at least 3mm coils I'd say. Wicking has the steepest learning curve when it comes to rebuildables. Wattage and af are also important. You just need to play around with all 3 to find your personal sweet spot with each style of coil. Just because you don't notice much difference in the different coils doesn’t make them equal in performance. Cruise the builders section and learn a bit about other wires and coil types.

jim_87

Resident Forum Lurker
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2018
USA
You know I actually was thinking more wattage would just make it worse. And since I still had spitback at 100 watts I didn't even think to go higher. But after reading your post I cranked it a little higher to 110 and it's much better.

Also the coils I have in now are actually 0.29 ohms. Not the other 0.19 and 0.18 I was using before.

So you are using the clapception coils from the pack? The first clapton coils (.19ohm) are actually a great coil. I have the same 6 pack of coils. Time to break down what may be wrong.

Airflow?
Coil Placement?
Wicking?

Also what wattage are you vaping? The current clapception coils are quite a bit of wire. The current voltage may be just enough to boil the liquid, not vaporize it completely. You may need to bump up the watts.

Also welcome to the forum, we will do all we can to help you figure this out. :headbang:

jim_87

Resident Forum Lurker
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2018
USA
Welcome to ECF
Definitely at least 3mm coils I'd say. Wicking has the steepest learning curve when it comes to rebuildables. Wattage and af are also important. You just need to play around with all 3 to find your personal sweet spot with each style of coil. Just because you don't notice much difference in the different coils doesn’t make them equal in performance. Cruise the builders section and learn a bit about other wires and coil types.
Spot on! Just checked the ID on the clapceptions, my jig puts them at 3mm. :thumb:

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
That looks like too little wick to me. The way there is a gap at the top doesn't look good to me, esp the far coil on the second pic. That might be too much coil for that deck too... A slightly smaller ID, , so they could sit a little more centered and slightly lower would be where I'd start.

Starscream66

Jun 6, 2019
So you are using the clapception coils from the pack? The first clapton coils (.19ohm) are actually a great coil. I have the same 6 pack of coils. Time to break down what may be wrong.

Airflow?
Coil Placement?
Wicking?

Also what wattage are you vaping? The current clapception coils are quite a bit of wire. The current voltage may be just enough to boil the liquid, not vaporize it completely. You may need to bump up the watts.

Also welcome to the forum, we will do all we can to help you figure this out. :headbang:

To be honest I'm already having a MUCH better experience just by cranking up the wattage. I definitely still want to perfect all of this but this simple thread alone has already helped me a ton! I really appreciate all of you.

I went through a lot of the coils already, just trying them out. probably wasted a lot of them haha but I was learning... I need to work on my wicking for sure. I have a bag of this Coil master Pro cotton.. it seems fine but it's a little tough to work with. I just need to find what works best for me I think.

I'll have to check out the builders section because I really have no idea what the practical application for all of these different cool types is. I'll learn. I enjoy the learning process.

jim_87

Resident Forum Lurker
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2018
USA
To be honest I'm already having a MUCH better experience just by cranking up the wattage. I definitely still want to perfect all of this but this simple thread alone has already helped me a ton! I really appreciate all of you.

I went through a lot of the coils already, just trying them out. probably wasted a lot of them haha but I was learning... I need to work on my wicking for sure. I have a bag of this Coil master Pro cotton.. it seems fine but it's a little tough to work with. I just need to find what works best for me I think.

I'll have to check out the builders section because I really have no idea what the practical application for all of these different cool types is. I'll learn. I enjoy the learning process.

You can probably rinse off the used coils, let them completely air dry, and put them back in the container. No need to throw out good coils. Generally all the different fancy coils are for show, some do have good flavor though, like the alpha braid. I mostly use a clapton setup.

• Agree
Reactions: GOMuniEsq
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread