The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

New Joyetech 20watt eGrip

Discussion in 'VV/VW APV Discussion' started by Racehorse, Oct 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. defdock

defdock Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Nov 15, 2011
    Dark Forest
    Depends how high your cranking the power ;)

The oled I leave set at 3.7v, I get 2 full tanks and a few puffs off the third before it dies.

This v1 wood, I still have to test as i got it 2 days ago but I suspect the same. I have that sitting at 1 notch below 20w.

2. Tpat591

Tpat591 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 28, 2014
    RB nj
    I always thought the v1s did pretty damn well at their lowest setting with the RBA Base.

3. defdock

Nov 15, 2011
    Dark Forest
    I kinda noticed that also, when this wood egrip arived I put the rda base in it and it seams to be the same if not hotter than the oled set to 3.7v
    Only since yesterday, have I ben using this cl base.

4. defdock

Nov 15, 2011
    Dark Forest
    Well, one interesting thing I just learned about the egrip....

The tank is glass!

5. Tpat591

Jul 28, 2014
    RB nj
    You've seen the youtube disassembly video I'm hoping rather than finding out in a more violent unlucky manner.

6. defdock

Nov 15, 2011
    Dark Forest
    Nothing violent ;)
    Was planning on making a diy mint juice, and some one mentioned I should be using a Pyrex glass tank. I thought the egrip tank was plastic but I decided to test it. Took a metal ring and just tapped the window, the sound was all I needed to know that it wasn't plastic.

Kinda happy for that fact.

7. defdock

Nov 15, 2011
    Dark Forest
    Update on the gurgling from drilling the cl base.

It seams That juice gets trapped in the coil base, and the gurgling is from the "slight" air flow that still manages it's way into the stock airflow hole/s.

I chain vaped until the unit was really bad gurgling, and left it standing upright for 30 mins. Nothing leaked out of either airholes, but the only way to get it to clear up was to turn the egrip upside down and blow the juice out of the mouthpeice. Otherwise, take the base out, take the coil out of the base and wipe up the juice under it.

Again going to test it tonight, and see if anything leaks out over night.

8. Tpat591

Jul 28, 2014
    RB nj
    Could your juice adjustment on the CLR coil need to be tightened up a bit?

9. defdock

Nov 15, 2011
    Dark Forest
    Before the egrip, I was using the coils in an eGo one tank. Closing off the "juice feed" only caused dry hits to occur more often.

I know personaly my issue is not "continuing" to inhail after I let go of the button, so the vaper still in the tank/chimney just recondensates causes gurggling.

Another thing is the egrip has a "ledge" in the main chimney, which I talked about on fasttech and was going to upload a "diagram" of but never got around to it.

That ledge collects condensation too, along with the driptip hole that funnels it back down the chimney of the egrip.

10. Tpat591

Jul 28, 2014
    RB nj
    Makes sense. Ledge: You gonna drill it?

11. defdock

Nov 15, 2011
    Dark Forest
    Possibly, but it's going to require me to disassemble the grip. Don't wanna make a slip and break the glass ;)

Probably will end up doing it with the 30w oled as it has no warranty.

12. WickedWicks

WickedWicks Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 13, 2015
    Has the chimney updated in any way on the OLED models or is it still the same than on the original eGrip?

13. defdock

Nov 15, 2011
    Dark Forest
    Exact same airflow as the original.

I even sent joyetech a nice email for "future airflow revisions" of the egrip.

Basically, "the 30w is pointless because of the still restricted airflow. Even with the ego one coils, they NEED the extra airflow to run properly otherwise they just burn at 20w+"

14. Tpat591

Jul 28, 2014
    RB nj
    Hope those future revisions included the evic vtc temp control panel in the 60w temperature controlled 10-ml version w/ 6ml chimney?

15. defdock

Nov 15, 2011
    Dark Forest
    Hehe, don't need ALL that, as you figure this is supposed to be a "stealth"-ish type device.

I would be happy if the just upgraded the battery to 2000mah and made the tank like 5-mls. Get rid of the screen completely, and run in "bypass mode" so it operates like a mech (ohms dictates watts). Also add a small battery indicator, like the v1, how the button lit up, have it "white" for full "blue" for half dead and "red" for "I'm gunna die soon"

Oh and update the airflow to atleast 3mm

16. gt_1955

gt_1955 Resting In Peace ECF Veteran

Apr 25, 2012
    South Australia
    Okay, took out the inner sleeve of the cap (6mm drill BTW) and have that on top of an otherwise standard 1 ohm CLR ... just the right amount of draw for me. Trialled a 0.5 ohm coil positive pin, but the draw was too easy for me (okay for lung hits I suppose, I just don't do lung hits).

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tpat591

Jul 28, 2014
    RB nj
    Evic VTC Control Panel has a Bypass mode so it will operate like a mech if you want it to, it will also do Temp Control, and has buttons instead of that stupid janky joy wheel fire button, upgradeable firmware, a screen that gives you the info you need & can read, and a usb you can actually charge mod in upright position. Add a bottom load 18650 battery tube for field swapping batterys & big tank capacity and proper airflow & it is a winner! If you look at a Evic VTC next to an Egrip it is only a little taller. If they did it right would be no bigger than a pack of analogs. Stealthy enough for me!
    upload_2015-9-20_8-16-15.png

The success of egrip came about because it wasn't a mech. It regulated and boosted voltage for a more consistent vape. Lets not tell Joyetech to take a step backwards.

• Like Like x 1
  18. defdock

Nov 15, 2011
    Dark Forest
    I like the wheel tho :p lol. Keeps it looking minimalistic.

19. defdock

Nov 15, 2011
    Dark Forest
    A super long look at the mouthpeice/chimney hole, I guess there is no "ledge" so to speak, but more so drilling grooves from the manufacture. Both behave the same and collect juice tho.

20. Tpat591

Jul 28, 2014
    RB nj
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.