Status
Not open for further replies.

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
Not alot, but a definite improval.

Side by side, un modded egrip with rda VS this modded egrip with cl base, you can "feel" all the work/air put into it.

I "think" I'm done. But if I still feel antsy I may try and drill it to 1/8" if I can't get my hands on a 3mm metric bit.

Comfortably vaping the wood egrip at 20w with "no" issues now.

Pictures in a moment. Kinda hard to "see" a difference in the top of the chimney with photos.

Reactions: Teach

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
From the drip tip, the 7/64" bit went about halfway before it became loose. So eyeballing, I'd say an inch and a half.

The chimney was the easiest to drill, and it helped alot by drilling from the top. Drill bits "pull out" the discard metal rather than pushing it in, so there was no "scrap" to clean from the tank end of the egrip.

Reactions: Teach

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
Never would have thought it went down that far! I figured it would only be about a 1/4" - 1/2". Same restriction in the CL version?

Haven't drilled out the cl version yet, but I'm going to assume yes. Just sticking in coil rods to the ends, it seams to be the same funnel effect. 3mm down to 2.3ish

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
I give it 3. I feel bad for not getting the black one when I made the purchase for the cl egrip on ft, but the red is really nice looking with how deep the red is in person.

One small difference I noticed, the button of the "flip lid" clasp sticks out slightly on the wood version compared to the cl egrip whereas it's completely flush with the body.

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
Alright...

With current modifications: hole in center of CL base (like rda), and chimney drilled to 7/64" - airflow restriction is in the base now.

Drilling the chimney, did not seam to produce much of a result. Playing with the airflow, I covered the air holes during mid toot. It seams That the "new" restriction is all in the base/stock airflow hole.

Going to attempt to drill the cl base more open now. Lol. Using the same 7/64" bit so the chimney is in direct line/size with the base hole. Hoping this will bring the egrip into the more respectable airflow zone it requires for these new CL coils.

Another update soon, within the hour

Side note: it was alot easier to drill the chimney vs a hole in the cl base. The drill went thru the chimney like butter, as the cl base I had to add pressure....
Received my CL version from FT Today. Base and Chimney are drilled to 7/64 on all three Egrip OLEDs now. Vaping nicely but for some reason they still feel more restricted than I imagined they would be. A bit more air than the old Egrip with RBA base. Favor notes are not as pronounced as with the RBA base. They are ripping through juice now though. Starting to understand how you were getting through 2 full tanks before your battery died!

Huge improvement in airflow over stock CL Coil & base is obtained by drilling a 7/64 hole in CL Base though.

Last edited:
Reactions: defdock

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
After performing the above modifications and using the Egrips for a period of time it should be noted that there had been no hint of any leakage or seepage from the hole drilled in the CL base like I sometimes got from the one in the RBA base when I didn't bother to align the juice holes with the wick wells. Dry, no leakage, huge improvement in airflow over stock CL Coil and base and these thing go through some juice. Very enjoyable vape and well worth the effort!

Mavericktrd

Oct 21, 2015
Hey all, I've lurked this forum and this thread for a long time. First post now though.

I used to smoke a pack a day, got tired of the odor and the cost. Didn't like smoking around the kids.

I bought an eroll and while it was fun to use, it didn't satisfy me. Realized it was missing that throat hit. I still keep it on the shelf as a last resort and it was my first vape and I guess I'm nostalgic like that.

Last year I purchased a v1 E-grip and was blown away. Got a lot of crap from vape friends as it was a noob device and not mod friendly. But I like simplicity. I didn't need a giant battery and a tank that wouldn't last all day. Wasn't interested in rebuilding etc.
I liked it so much I bought an OLED when they came out as a back up and 2 months later my v1 charging port broke. Started using the Aspire coils and that was an improvement but sometimes finicky
I've been using the new one everyday for 8 months and finally decided that I need a back up again.
So I bought an ego-one mini! Mind blown! The air flow and flavor quality were unreal. I was immediately dissatisfied with my E-grip. But I didn't give up! It's just to functional.

Next I find this thread and see that the newest release allows the same CL heads so Friday I bought the CL base and it came in the mail today.

I tried it with both the .5 and 1ohm heads and liked the airflow more of the .5 but 30w just wasn't enough to get quality vapor so I put the .5 back in my ego one and the 1ohm in the E-grip, after switching the firing pins around (the .5 pin has better air flow)

I then saw a member post that he drilled a hole in the CL base.
Against my wife's judgement I took my brand new CL base not even 20 minutes old and promptly drill a 3/32 hole in the center!

This thing just rips! Every bit as solid as my ego one now, but the added beauty of capacity and Batter life. Better than my neighbors subox mini.

Next I will buy the CLR coils and try to build a .7-.8 ohm head to find that sweet spot!

I'm sure it's now a matter of time before they come out with another version with similar Evic VT features.

Attachments

• _20151020_195828.JPG
    _20151020_195828.JPG
    740.3 KB · Views: 46
  • _20151020_194617.JPG
    _20151020_194617.JPG
    657.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
Glad you like your egrip!

I'm kinda happy, I feel I pioneered the "drilling" in the cl base, but it works so well that everyone should do it.

I haven't used any stock CL coils yet, but the CLR coils I have rebuilt many times for my ego one and using them in my egrip I feel like I need to replace them. They all have a wierd rubber taste(assuming I dry burned the coils to much).

Again. Glad your happy with your egrip :p

I find it works alot better with the "CL base" drilled and using ego one coils, rather than using the egrip rda. Original eGrip coils I never had/used.

Reactions: Mavericktrd

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
One thing I have noticed, and 100% certain of it, the silicone seals that seal the tops of the ego coils put off a wierd taste. I have tried 4 different juices to find the source of the taste, no difference so I thought to myself "SOMETHING is heating and putting off the wierd taste". Took the coil out and put it in my ego one tank, the off taste disappeared...

Suspecting it's the coil top seal for the egrip(since it sits IN the top, directly in the path of hot air from the coil), I swapped it with an old protank seal (PITA to keep it on the coil enough to screw the base back into the egrip), and guess what? The off taste completely disappeared.

Again to be certain, I pulled all the spare seals out of the egrip box and tried them one by one, ALL of them put off this wierd taste.

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
One thing I have noticed, and 100% certain of it, the silicone seals that seal the tops of the ego coils put off a wierd taste. I have tried 4 different juices to find the source of the taste, no difference so I thought to myself "SOMETHING is heating and putting off the wierd taste". Took the coil out and put it in my ego one tank, the off taste disappeared...

Suspecting it's the coil top seal for the egrip(since it sits IN the top, directly in the path of hot air from the coil), I swapped it with an old protank seal (PITA to keep it on the coil enough to screw the base back into the egrip), and guess what? The off taste completely disappeared.

Again to be certain, I pulled all the spare seals out of the egrip box and tried them one by one, ALL of them put off this wierd taste.
I noticed the same thing at higher wattages and suspected the same. My solution was to lower the wattages and to use the new 200s quite a bit more. Find myself using egrips less & less in general.

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
Setting it to low watts is the problem too, too low and it causes the tank to flood from unfinished vaporized juice.

I cut out the part of the seal that grips INTO the coil top, so now the seal just "sits". I haven't noticed the taste yet.

I haven't really used my egrips lately, as my red oled started leaking thru the seams along with this funky taste. It irked me so I threw both in a drawer. Now that this funky taste issue is fixed, I can leave the wood egrip at 20w and be fine. As much as I have "better devices", I still prefer the egrips size/functionality at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread