New member, new vaper...please don't read me the riot act for starting out sub-ohm vaping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlsoti

Jul 26, 2014
Mesa, AZ
Hey all, I'm Tim. *(Please see "disclaimer below before blasting me for sub-ohm vaping.)

I've been vaping for about two weeks now. I've started off with a Panzer Black Hawk clone that I got from my neighbor. It started out with a igo atomizer, but I just got a Stillare clone atomizer for it's larger deck. I was told that the Vamped cells were the best my local B&M had, but I'm considering other options at this point.

With the IGO, I was running dual parallel 26g coils reading around 0.4 ohms total, with the atomizer. With the new atomizer, and some 22g, I'm running .17ohm, at least for this weekend. I know my battery life will suffer, so I'll probably go to something a bit more "sane" for the work week.

I do enjoy the "large clouds"of vapor (not really that big, compared to some vids I've seen) , but I suspect I may be losing flavor by running things so hot.

If you could give me suggestions on how to improve the flavor without sacrificing volume, I'd really appreciate it.

* Some background on my electrical knowledge, not that I'm an engineer or anything...

I've been involved in R/C cars and planes, off and on, for over 20 years. I have experienced, first-hand, the evolution from Ni-cad to NiMh, then to Lipo, LiFe, A123, etc. I am well aware of the potential energy in these batteries. If you have valid info that may improve my vaping experience, please share. If you want to bash me for doing what you won't do out of fear of death or dismemberment, don't expect to get a rise out of me. I stab bad lipos with screwdrivers for fun. :laugh:

larger air holes would help with heat to improve flavor and increase vapor production 1/8 inch with the holes in line with the coils. also at that low ohms possibly the thicker vg liquid would improve flavor. i'm using .3 dual nano coils on a drilled tobh atty using a e mech at 30 watts and get pretty good flavor with 100 vg juice. does tend to gunk up the coils pretty quick but what are you gonna do?

Despraci

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2014
Palmyra, PA
Well first off I start by getting some masonry VTC4 or VTC5 batteries. I haven't seen any test or data done on the vamped batteries yet to say if they are as good as they claim to be.

Next, try different builds, increase the ohms a little, maybe another wrap or two. Try to hit around .3 -.4. If you don't get enough vapor the try max VG liquid if you aren't already.

Or you could try a .3 build and add a little more PG for more flavor, but not too mucho it will give you a lot of throat hit.

I am sure others will have some input on this.

Honestly it sounds like you are trying to be safe a knowledge about sub ohming, no reason for the riot act.

snipeslayer

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2014
United States
First and foremost - get some VTC4 or VTC5's and a multi meter (which I am sure you already have) and monitor the safe levels of the batteries with whatever you do.

The basic principle that I have worked on thus far has been lower ohms = needs more air to balance; higher ohms = less airflow for better flavor. Some coil builds (e.g. twisted builds will have more flavor and a longer ramp up to their maximum "cloud power") and other coils (micros/macros/nanos) will heat up faster and differently as well. Go buy a bunch of kanthal in different gauges (24g, 26g, 28g is what I use personally) and play with it until you find a build you like.

With all that about coils in mind, many juices burn at too low of an ohm, and will perform best at a higher ohm setting. PG = flavor, VG = vapor production. Keep that in mind when getting your juices. The more slanted that scale is (vg ^ = more clouds, pg ^ = more flavor) will effect how each juice performs. Since you are new to it overall, I would suggest something like E Cigarette | Buy Electronic Cigarettes | E Juice - Mt Baker Vapor and play with the pg/vg ratios until you find a setting you like. The juice is cheap and has reasonable taste for the price, so blowing through a few bottles to get it right won't hurt. Once you find something you like then seek out other juices based on that ratio if it is something that you enjoy. Some will use nearly 100% VG, while others will use a higher PG for flavor. It's your choice and up to you which way you decide to go.

TL;DR = play with your juice ratios and airflow//coil builds until you find something you like.

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Just remember, RC Cars don't have the possibility of blowing up in your face and disfiguring you for life. Well, I guess they could lol. Please be safe, that's all that we ask. You're drawing 24.706 Amperes of current at that resistance so as long as your Vamped batteries truly run at whet they are rated at, you're within the capabilities of the battery. I know Vamped has just released some batteries that are supposedly rated at 40Amps but I sure wouldn't trust it.

Battery Recommendation: Sony's VCT5's or the MXJO 35A 2500mah IMR 18650's from MFS.

What kind of RC Cars did you run? Electric or gas? On or off road?

I'm surprised the vapor at 0.17Ω isn't enough, you should be entering cloud comp's at that resistance. Your next steps should be to try to get more airflow into the system and/or try higher percentage VG juice. With the Stillare, you're going to have to drill both tubes so that the adjustable airflow piece still works.

Welcome to the forum, were glad to have ya! Stay safe!

carlsoti

Jul 26, 2014
Mesa, AZ
With current lipo technology, I tend to run about half of the stated amps, as even in the R/C industry there is a LOT of exaggerated claims. Being that I'm only "pulsing" this battery at just above half of the stated output, I should be OK for a little while. I constantly check it for heat when I'm using it and haven't had any concerns yet.

As far as R/C goes, I've always wanted to get into 1/12 carpet racing, but I started with 2WD electric dirt cars (grasshopper/hornet clones, mostly) when the gold tub RC10 was king and ran on Ni-cads, the really fast guys were using "zapped" matched packs, and NiMh wasn't in consumer hands just yet. I soon switched to monster trucks, with a Kyosho Double Dare. That was when Tamiya ruled that segment with the Lunchbox, Blackfoot, and Clod Buster. I started breaking stuff right away, and had my G-pa start making me gearbox parts, and that led me to R/C truck Pulling. 20 cell D battery packs from loose stock at RadioShack, Double-Wide axle shafts, etc...that was a lot of fun, but expensive. I couldn't afford to keep playing with only paper route money to spend. A long break in there and I switched to R/C airplanes. All electric and Sailplane stuff, because Estes killed the Cox motor company. I've got park flyers, EDFs, Pylon planes, flying wings, a few slopers, DLGs, etc.....

:mad::mad::mad:(this forum is starting to piss me off. You guys seems great, but I keep getting logged off while writing these long winded posts. Then I lose half of what was written. I'm'a go eat something and cool off....)

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Other than tackling the air flow issue, have you tried playing with different coil designs/diameters? Also, try changing the "density" of your wick - and what wicking material are you using?

There are several things that go into a vape, resistance is just part of the equation.

:mad::mad::mad:(this forum is starting to piss me off. You guys seems great, but I keep getting logged off while writing these long winded posts. Then I lose half of what was written. I'm'a go eat something and cool off....)
The next time you log in, check the "remember me" button. You won't get logged out while composing your posts. :2c:

carlsoti

Jul 26, 2014
Mesa, AZ
I'm gonna try tackling one thing at a time. I'm not post whoring, just trying not to lose what I've written...

I appreciate the info on the VTC batteries. As far as batteries go, I'm a bit of a geek about them, and that's what led me to this forum. I well aware of the overstated claims that are made for all kinds of batteries based on different tests performed, and sometimes just bold faced lies. Having been in the R/C world for a while, I do a lot of testing of my own lipos with an ICharger 306B. I'm going to try to find a "holder" for the vape cells so I can do some of my own testing. I'll share what I find with you if/when I do.

carlsoti

Jul 26, 2014
Mesa, AZ
I started sub-ohming because that's what my neighbor is doing, and he's the one that got me into vaping. Like me, he's an R/C addict, and knows the possible dangers. My first "on my own" vape coil wind was a 10 coil 26g (or maybe it was 24g) dual parallel wind that came out near .38ohm, IIRC. I do recall it was about twice the resistance that my neighbor was using. It was a lot of work to get that wrapped up like I wanted, and I won't do something like that again until I have another mod to puff on while wrapping. When I showed him my coils, he asked who wrapped them, thinking I had taken it to someone else to have it done. He was a bit surprised I had everything packed together so well, without anything shorting. My experience in re-winding R/C motors really helped me in that.

carlsoti

Jul 26, 2014
Mesa, AZ
A little bit more info on where I'm going...

Using the same equipment as my neighbor, he gets huge clouds, where mine aren't nearly as dense or large. Not that I'm just trying to create micro cumulo-nimbus or anything, but it tells me that, aside from dialing in my builds, my "technique" might need work, too.

I'm using 100VG already, again based on info from my neighbor. I'm thinking I'll start upping the % of PG until I find a good balance of vape and flavor. I know that I'm not staying at .17ohms all weekend. I woke up this morning feeling like I pulled a weekend long ....-bender at IOU state. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread