Status
Not open for further replies.

merlin440

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
ohio
404474_10150756023499992_803044991_12289359_662028159_n.jpg

Went with the satin finish, didn't like either of the chrome finish ones, figure long term use / abuse this will be the one less likely to show wear and tear.

So far I'm really happy with it, but my evolution of e-cigs kind of went like this

Blu - terrible ecig, even for starters at least with a heavy smoker like myself
eGo - found this forum and got some recommendations from old timers and loved it at first... Great starter
Ali' VV - Bottom feeder box mod, LOVE IT. Damn regulator breaks all the time though, always out for repairs
Prodigy V3.1 - Bought this because of the simplistic design nothing to break 6volt mod tho.

The Prodigy became my default e-cig because the Ali is always out at the shop, 6v is just a bit too much for me even with HR 510 attys at 3.5 olm.

Right out of the box, it was a little confusing even having watched many vids on the e-cig, but once i stopped thought about what I was doing the menu system was suddenly intuitive.

I won't comment to much yet, as I think some of my excitement is from VV vaping again, but I will post in a couple days a formal review after I've used it for a longer period of time.

merlin440

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
ohio
Well officially 24 hours since I started using my Provari and all I can say is i'm so totally impressed.

Just got my Ali back from repair and my new VV Power GRIP Feeder from sweetvapes.com today so I set them all to the same voltage and I pretty much only smoke 1 juice anymore so I will let you know how it compares.

I will say the FIRST thing that has so totally impressed me with the Provari is the first hit is EXACTLY like the last hit, I've only changed batts twice so far and I'm intentionally firing until it auto-shuts down, because that's a truer comparison to how I vape. [blinking light is annoying at this point but this is for testing so i'll live with it]

I don't throw on a voltage regulator everytime i think the batteries might die, i vape until the flavor/vapor changes, then change batts then possibly change attys cus something is wrong obviously. Can't comment on the atty dying yet obviously.

My only complaint isn't a problem with the unit, it's bottom feeder verse direct drip :)

Dan Patrick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2011
Texas Forest Country
You can actually make that light not blink in the settings. One thing I will say about the Provari. It's great with 2.5 stuff. After over a year with mine I have come to the conclusion that any other Ohm of stuff is a bit of a waste. I like 2.5 306's, 2.5 HH 357's, and 2.5 Dual Coils in at tank rock on the provari. When you move up to VV just move back up to standard resistance and you will get all the range intended.

merlin440

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
ohio
Ok, putting off the formal review for another week maybe two, short story, my Ali's back at the shop, but more surprising, my grip VV from sweetvapes.com is heading back to the shop for a new switch.

So that said, I love my provari, #1 it works all the time :) #2 it's been probably the most consistent mod i've had...

Anyway after I get the other VV's back in, I'll feel better about giving a VV mod review, but overall I feel the ProVari is exactly what everyone says a Cadilac :)

Also where's the best place to get 2.5 ohm 510's? I generally get them from puresmoker but they are 2.3/2.2's...

merlin440

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
ohio
Ok, I've been using my Provari forever now :) well not really Feb, so 4 months and I've got to say it is the ONLY ecig I use really. I still have my vv Power Grip from sweetvape but the only time I ever pull that out is when I'm driving a long long distance. I drip, never been able to get into the carto's or tanks, I just prefer direct drip / bottom feeding, which is why I bought the box mod. I thought my Provari would become my secondary cig, but I was wrong.

The first thing I must admit, is this thing hits consistently, absolutely rock solid. Unlike many of the VV mods I've tried, as the batteries die, the hit changes. Not with the Provari, you set it, if it changes, it's always been because the resistance in the atty has changed, dropped usually, sometimes gain, but never because of the unit itself.

Second great point about the unit, it is absolutely rock solid, I've dropped it onto concrete more then once unfortunately, it tends to fall out of my shirt pocket if i bend over, and I hate putting it in my pants pocket, pain to get to if i'm sitting etc. The unit itself is always fine, I've bent/broke a few attys tho... Also (and I don't recommend this at all, scared the heck out of me when it happened) I dropped the darn thing in the toilet, bent over to pick something off the floor (damn kids socks) and plop... My heart sank! I was like CRAP, well there went 300 bucks. (apparently it's 200 for the unit itself but anyway) I pulled it out took it apart, dried it as best I could and then just let it SIT, as I prayed that it would still work. Obviously THATS not something covered under the warranty.

Two long days went by, went back to my Power Grip feeder, could tell the difference immediately, but suffered through it. It was tough waiting the full 48 hours, but I made it, went to sleep figuring a few more hours couldn't hurt. Woke up in the morning, ready for it to fail as I loaded a fresh battery and new atty. I pressed the button and prayed, it worked FINE no changes. Thank God :)

So there's some of my adventures with my Provari. Other then thous 2 points, this product has helped me figure out exactly what I like in vaping, I have played with different resistances and voltage to find my sweet spot, something that was really difficult with other mods, simply because I'd have to pull the atty out, get my meter, check the voltage, check the resistance and play. The simple 5 click menu system took all that haste out and let me find my sweet spots.

I guess if I have to give one bad point about this product it would have to be the price point, and I say this not from an affordability stand point, but from a loss standpoint, for example dropping it in water, unforeseen but stuff happens. Went to castaway bay, now when i was using the eGo, I simply purchased a waterproof pouch, and put my e-cig in and didn't worry to much about it, a simple 20 buck bat was the worse I could lose, I suppose a cone too, and atty but overall 30 bucks was the max loss if something happened. I didn't chance that with my Provari, I put it in the locker and grabbed it out when I wanted to vape. Again I say this only for people to consider they may want a "cheap" backup for those situations. For me when we go back or if i'm going to a place where I'm worrying about damaging my e-cig, I'm going to be bringing my Prodigy well because there's nothing that can die if I get it wet :) maybe ruin the atty, I suppose it's possible the batteries could be damaged, but again were back to the less then 30 bucks replacement value.

Also for myself it seems that 3 batteries is a great magic number, I use the 18650's, but 3 works well simply because I can keep one in my pocket, one on the charger and never worry much about not having a battery, I change my battery once sometimes twice a day depending on the last time i changed it. I am a heavy heavy vaper as I was a heavy heavy smoker, 3-5 packs a day in analogs, and I go through 1oz (30ml) of liquid, in about 10 days. Sometimes a little sooner sometimes a little later, but I seem to average about 3-4 bottles of liquid a month.

Lastly I really recommend a cone mod, the drip well is great, it can hold a lot of juice, but I always ended up staining my shirt pocket, because some would drip, or leaving a pool on my desk cus it fell over, I ended up buying a Empire 901 HEX Drip Shield with a 510 solid adapter and have been very happy, it took care of the pooling issue as well as allows me to vape any overflow that fills up in the shield. BTW That's from http://www.empiremods.com and I'm sure there are others.

I really hope this helps people, I cannot praise this product enough at this point in time, but if you have been playing with VV mods, or even just experimenting with different voltages/resistances etc to find your sweet zone, this mod will get you to where you want to be, you'll simply click see your atty dropped to 2.0 oHm and drop your voltage to get the same great hits you were getting at 2.5-3.0, or if your atty gains resistance suddenly it's hitting at 3.5oHm, boom pop your voltage up to 5 and your good to go again. I'm still running the version 1 of the Provari, I'll send it back for an upgrade eventually and post back here if I note any major differences, but honestly I'm not sending it back until I buy a second one, I don't want to be without my main e-cig for any period of time honestly, even tough I have a number of "alternate" e-cigs now. Never thought I would be someone with more then one ecig either... LOL Ali, Grip, Prodigy, eGo's, hell I still am afraid to get rid of my Blu and I hate that thing, but I think that's part of the nature of us smokers, afraid to be without...

Anyway bye for now and keep vaping!

Last edited:

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Nice review. The possibility of dunking my Provari in the lake has worried me on occasion, that's why I have a wide range of devices and atty/cartos to cover whatever situation. But even if I were to let my Provari out for a swim, I know that Provape will fix it right up. I doubt they would cover it as a warranty issue, and I wouldn't want them to. If I screw up, I pay for my mistakes. At least I know repairs won't cost as much as buying a new one. :)

merlin440

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
ohio
I will be comparing the V1 and V2 over the next week or so as my mailman just delivered my new V2 today.

Broke down and bought a second because I really didn't want to be without my Provari while it was being upgraded, and I figure if I ever drop it in the toilet again I'll still have one to use while the other drys out :)

I must also say, I ordered this on FRIDAY, morning, about 9am EST, I realize in WA it's 6am, but they shipped it THAT DAY, I'm still puzzled how the post office managed to get it here today, as normally I would expect 3 day delivery time frame. So again customer service has absolutely ROCKED, I'm just floored with the speed :) So if anyone at Provape is reading this, let everyone in the office/warehouse/etc know I REALLY appreciate your hard work, prompt service and superb quality products and people!

I'll post back here in about a week or two with any differences I find, I will say my testing will only be with atomizers and direct dripping, which is how I vape. So far the 20m I've been using it I'm personally not noting any differences, but i'll play with voltage +/- and see if I can feel anything changing between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread